PDA

View Full Version : Moto riding + campout - June 22?

nakman
05-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Would anyone be interested in a little :moto: action on Argentine on Saturday June 22? Followed by :campfire: and :camping:? That also puts you there for the club cleanup (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=19525) on Sunday.. so you get a 2fer;)

But there are some cool spots up there, and even better things to explore. Depending on snow, on bikes we could likely do it all in one afternoon.

subzali
05-06-2013, 05:48 AM
I doubt you can explore everything in one day, let alone one afternoon, but good luck ;)

60wag
05-06-2013, 07:06 AM
I'd be in for that.

baja1d
05-06-2013, 07:09 AM
I doubt you can explore everything in one day, let alone one afternoon, but good luck ;)

Sounds like a challenge

nakman
05-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a challenge

Yeah no kidding... especially if Subzali brings his orange bike out to help! :D

Jacket
05-06-2013, 12:59 PM
We ran Kane Creek, Behind the Rocks and Pritchett all in one day last week on our bikes. I'm thinking we can handle a few spurs around Argentine.... ;)

Sounds like a fun plan Tim. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be working that weekend though, so I'm probably out for all of it....

subzali
05-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Yeah no kidding... especially if Subzali brings his orange bike out to help! :D

Don't you mean, "help"? ;)

Inukshuk
05-07-2013, 08:32 PM
fun

nakman
06-13-2013, 10:51 AM
So... still planning on this. My bike is still spread out in multiple pieces but I am still planning on it. Have a t-ball game in the morning, so looking like I could head out around 11, which puts me up there between 12 and 1? I'll have my camper to help secure a spot.

Inukshuk
06-13-2013, 11:37 PM
What's it like. The HS friend for who I bought the 1982 Kawasaki KX 125 is coming out to get it and bringing a Husaberg. He's a pretty hardcore rider.

nakman
06-14-2013, 08:16 AM
If he's looking for sweet single track through the woods, etc. this ain't it. This is more dirt road action with the occasional bumpy thing or snow drift, mostly at or above treeline. You could call it a spirited pre-run for the next day's clean up, for that matter.

60wag
06-14-2013, 08:42 AM
I'll likely make it up there earlier on Saturday. Point me to the campsites you're interested in and I'll try to snag one of them.

farnhamstj
06-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Wish I could make it.

nakman
06-14-2013, 01:05 PM
I'll likely make it up there earlier on Saturday. Point me to the campsites you're interested in and I'll try to snag one of them.

Just one of those bigger ones down below on the main road, before you get the creek road. See the other thread for a longer version? or give me a call

Inukshuk
06-15-2013, 07:51 AM
If he's looking for sweet single track through the woods, etc. this ain't it. This is more dirt road action with the occasional bumpy thing or snow drift, mostly at or above treeline. You could call it a spirited pre-run for the next day's clean up, for that matter.

Where is the best Colorado epic riding?

subzali
06-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Taylor Park

nakman
06-24-2013, 08:42 AM
that was super fun. :moto:

nakman
06-24-2013, 09:00 AM
I met Bruce at camp just past noon... I was coming straight from T-ball, he'd already done all of Guanella pass.. good way to start the day. We gassed up and proceeded to hit everything we could on the north side of Leavenworth Creek, as that river looked a little too deep and too brisk to attempt on 2 wheels. We made it past Waldorf probably only a mile up Argentine until we hit snow, then we did the McClellan side and were able to get up and over the whole thing. At a few points we had about 1' of dirt between the drifts and the edge of the road, but just enough room to squeeze a moto up and through. What a hoot.

By the time we were making it down some quads had followed our tracks and had widened the snow drifts to the point where probably by next weekend you could get a truck up there. After McClellan we went down the other way, checking out that cabin (couple exciting puddles along the way), then down the bumpy "k" road to the main road. We played a little on the lower Leavenworth section, using both the higher junction and the Subzali Junction to get around the main water crossings. Would like to go back towards the end of the season when the water is lower, to explore that south side hill we saw everyone on yesterday. Also try to get to the top of Argentine.

Last comment is about all the other users up there- parking on the Guanella Pass road was packed, the pass was busy, everything from other moto bikes to mountain bikes to hikers, Jeeps, quads, golf carts, full size trucks, you name it it was up there. Without exception, everyone we came across was super cool. Half of them were asking us for directions, or is this route passable, etc., the other half enjoyed watching us sputter by. The leaders of the quads held up their numbers, their tail gunner always gave us the fist. I was really impressed by the etiquette, kind of renewed my hope a little.

Here's my manual panorama from the back side of McClellan, I-70 and I think the Bakerville exit is in the middle one.

subzali
06-24-2013, 09:42 AM
That big snowdrift in your panorama is where that Blazer rolled a couple years ago, and in the gully right below the motorcycle there is a rolled ATV awaiting extraction. Still quite a bit of snow hanging about, it's always a compromise this time of year. Want to get up there and get signs in place before it gets too busy, but can't always access everything if it's a snowy year.

nakman
06-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Oh so that's where that ATV is... so just down the hill from where we parked our bikes?

subzali
06-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Pretty much, it's hard to see in the small pic. It might be a little behind the bikes. In a gully.