PDA

View Full Version : Sweet rig on Expo- Was a similar one at CM

Romer
05-09-2013, 01:44 PM
If you liked the rig Dan Kunz drove to CM, this is the same type of vehicle. Basically a LC Prado 120 series built up

It has V8 power

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/108427-Bundu-Gear-GX470-for-sale

It's like the 100, but not as wide with the same engine

OilHammer
05-10-2013, 08:32 AM
I think he's overpriced. He's taking half the stuff off of it that would make it a good deal. You can get stock one's well below that price. Here's one at a local dealer where asking price is pretty low already, and I'm sure you could talk them down.
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?cgLocale=en&sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&uncached=false&showInactive=false&newCarsOnly=false&useInventoryService=false&name=entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity&includeAllModelsOption=true&carsWithRegressionOnly=false&groupByPopularity=true&ign-makerId-entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=m37&yearDropdownHeading=Select+Year&trimDropdownHeading=Select+Trim&groupByPopularity=true&ign-modelId-entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d562&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d562&zip=80209#listing=55840775

nakman
05-10-2013, 08:44 AM
I dunno Barry, seems like a good deal to me? Those bumpers, sliders, lift, and PM make up the 5K difference to me...

After Moab I can't stop looking at these things, it could very well be our next direction here as well. I need to drive one though and make sure it's big enough, also curious if my drawers would fit in back (with some side panel trimming). These things are the same as 100's though- in 2003 you got the 5 speed, and in 2005 the vvti engine. There's a 2008 right now on cargurus for like $25k, which looks pretty dang clean. I've never owned a truck with less than 100k miles though so not sure I'm worthy..

MTSN
05-10-2013, 09:00 AM
I looked long and hard at a GX before I settled on the 100, and the main reason I picked up the 100 was because I found one with the locker and really low miles (105k on a 98) for a good price. I dig the way the GX drives and looks, and they all have the 5 speed which is great. I wasn't crazy about the rear suspension/AHC though that's relatively easy to remove, and I definitely don't care for the tailgate design at all. I much prefer the split tailgate like in the 100 where you can fold it down for a table or sit on it or whatever.

Romer
05-10-2013, 09:42 AM
I think he's overpriced. He's taking half the stuff off of it that would make it a good deal. You can get stock one's well below that price. Here's one at a local dealer where asking price is pretty low already, and I'm sure you could talk them down.
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?cgLocale=en&sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&uncached=false&showInactive=false&newCarsOnly=false&useInventoryService=false&name=entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity&includeAllModelsOption=true&carsWithRegressionOnly=false&groupByPopularity=true&ign-makerId-entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=m37&yearDropdownHeading=Select+Year&trimDropdownHeading=Select+Trim&groupByPopularity=true&ign-modelId-entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d562&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d562&zip=80209#listing=55840775

He is taking the drawers and stove off. Seems like a good price for the mileage with the V8 and 5 speed and its built. I am happy with my 100 otherwise I would be interested after riding in Dan's truck. Being narrower would help in some areas.

Dan pulled his AHC off. Its not that hard

OilHammer
05-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I had a brand new Prado while in Costa Rica a few months back. Loved it.
Granted it was a diesel, but it was really a nice size, even with 4 guys and gear in it.
Also, the new ones have a lift gate window like the FJ, but a bit more usable.
Those GX460's are still big money though, and the 2003 470's are really dropping in price, and relatively easy to find a low mileage unit with no NAV.

Jacket
05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
:meh: I don't really see the appeal, especially with the prices so low on a 100 series. Maybe if your family is out of the house and you mostly travel solo, but otherwise it's a 4Runner with less aftermarket support.

OilHammer
05-10-2013, 10:19 AM
I dunno Barry, seems like a good deal to me? Those bumpers, sliders, lift, and PM make up the 5K difference to me...

After Moab I can't stop looking at these things, it could very well be our next direction here as well. I need to drive one though and make sure it's big enough, also curious if my drawers would fit in back (with some side panel trimming). These things are the same as 100's though- in 2003 you got the 5 speed, and in 2005 the vvti engine. There's a 2008 right now on cargurus for like $25k, which looks pretty dang clean. I've never owned a truck with less than 100k miles though so not sure I'm worthy..

Okay, I take that back. It is a good deal....great if you like everything he did.
Most guys like to build their own version, with tires they like, etc.
I do like some of what he did, but I would change some too.

One I linked has 125k on it, it's an 03 with 5spd, no NAV. Timing belt done, and dealer's never advertise their lowest price.

Built rig has 141k on it, also an 03, also timing belt.

Let's say you could get the local one for $6k less with 16k less miles. I give $1k per 10k miles value/devalue, so that makes it "$7.5k" less.
So rounding heavily:
tires 1200
front bump 1200
winch 800
Lift 1200
Slides 1200
Rear bump 1200
Gamaviti rack 1000

That's ~$7,800 in mods that are brand new and I got to choose the design.
He has a couple more things, but dunno if I would do them.

Now, factor in labor and that's a pretty good deal. If you LOVE what he did, no brainer then.

OilHammer
05-10-2013, 10:21 AM
:meh: I don't really see the appeal, especially with the prices so low on a 100 series. Maybe if your family is out of the house and you mostly travel solo, but otherwise it's a 4Runner with less aftermarket support.

They're a rocket ship in stock form. Go try one out.
Mostly 4-runner for sure, but every one has the sweet V8, and they have a much better driving position than a runner. Runners are flat, these are sit-up like the cruisers.

nakman
05-10-2013, 10:26 AM

and +5mpg minimum if you get a 2005, compared to a 98-99 100 series.

Inukshuk
05-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Had time with these in LC120 trim in Israel and Jordan. In mostly stock form they handled everything thrown at them. Diesel too. A model to watch.

After seeing the 5th gen 4Runner (LC150) Paul May is building and wheeling with Brian Wilson (Beachboy) on Poison Spider, that's really the one to watch. 40,000 per year sold in the US.

bomber22
05-10-2013, 11:11 AM
we have a 2004 gx470 and really like it but, iam positive my wife will never let me wheel it. seems to have more power than my 2000 tundra and rides and drives really nice. not crazy about the rear swing out gate but that is ok, if i want to sit ill bring out the fold out chairs.

nakman
05-10-2013, 12:50 PM
what has me turned off on the swing-out door is the ability (or inability) to open it when a trailer, receiver bike carrier, or receiver motorcycle carrier is attached. I'm always flipping the hatch open to get in & out of the fridge or something, not sure I can live without that as it's more than a mild compromise.

bomber22
05-10-2013, 02:09 PM
thats true

OilHammer
05-10-2013, 02:27 PM
what has me turned off on the swing-out door is the ability (or inability) to open it when a trailer, receiver bike carrier, or receiver motorcycle carrier is attached. I'm always flipping the hatch open to get in & out of the fridge or something, not sure I can live without that as it's more than a mild compromise.

...and why I prefer the newer GX as well. The flip up glass hatch is significantly larger than the FJ.

Bummer about the newer GX is how the body to bumper lines flow like the 200's. That means major knife work if you armor the bumpers.

**disclaimer here. All of my experience with these is the PRADO and not the LX. Quite possible there are differences I haven't spent the time on to notice.**

nakman
05-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Barry that's the GX460 with the flip-up glass, right? GX470 that glass is stuck to the door, on all years?

Moody
05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Mostly 4-runner for sure, but every one has the sweet V8, and they have a much better driving position than a runner. Runners are flat, these are sit-up like the cruisers.

We have an 01 100 and an 03 GX. For general around town, I prefer the GX. Plenty of power. We came from a built V8 4 runner, but the GX is waaaay better. I loved seeing Dans truck in Moab. Gave me lots of ideas...

Corbet
05-10-2013, 08:53 PM
A GX470/460 is definitely our next vehicle purchase for Marianne, but I don't plan to build it. The 460 is uber sweet to drive. Both are hands down better than the 4R.

For us the visibility out of them was the difference. The 5th gen 4R's hood is long and tall. Hard to judge where the front bumper is. GX has a sloping hood. Way better. And I definitely agree the seating position is better. If someone in the aftermarket would build a rear bumper like the Expedition One "smooth motion" FLC unit I bet you'd all change your tune on the swing out door.

With the initial cost of a LC200 I think many of us will be in different platforms in the years to come. I believe the GX is a good one. Me, I'm thinking JDM 80 series when I'm in the market for a FZJ80 replacement.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-10-2013, 09:48 PM

I agree. I like them but I need the space the LC provides. Plus, after crawling under a FJC and 4th gen 4R, the LC just has bigger components.

Now with that said, for the wheeling I have been doing as of late and trying to mix this as a daily driver... You could lift it, add tires, sliders and really have a Canyon lands ready rig, that you could drive to work and still get good mileage.

Atrac?

Rzeppa
05-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Just saw this thread - X2 what Daniel wrote about Paul May's 5th Gen Runner. He had some kind of special model that had dual VVTi on the 4.0. I think he said it was a Baja or something? But he said he liked it even better than his 100. The lines, track and wheelbase reminded me a lot of a quad cab Taco.

DaveInDenver
05-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Yup, that nailed what I was thinking. I thought the 4Runner was built on the same platform as the GX? I may also be unique, but I like the V6 4Runner for the ability to run true 2WD and I like the roll down rear window instead of a lift window (although tail gate or ambulance doors are better than either).