PDA

View Full Version : Best place in town for "STUFF"

Shotshell
05-09-2013, 08:10 PM
So, being fairly new to the Denver area, I've yet to really find all the off-road outfitting and parts stores around here. I did a quick search of the forum, but didn't find anything pertaining to this.
Can you guys recommend the places around here that you get parts/service/off-road upgrades for your rigs?:wrench:

Also, as of right now, I'm planning on getting my new set of tires soon, from Discount Tire. Good or bad idea in your opinions?

80Series
05-09-2013, 08:16 PM
In regards to tires I would recommend Discount Tire. I'm sure people have different opinions but I worked there for 7 years and both my brothers still work there and I still love the service they offer. For offroad parts the only place I know of and have gone to is Slee.

farnhamstj
05-09-2013, 08:22 PM
New tires are always a good idea. Stevenson West for DIY parts(club discount) and Slee for service/upgrades. I buy most of my camping gear from Walmart. Such as "wag bags"

Corbet
05-09-2013, 09:07 PM
With the title of the thread I though it was going a different direction being Colorado an all :smokin:

Agree on Slee for anything Land Cruiser accessory living on the front range. No personal experience with Discount Tire.

Keith
05-09-2013, 10:57 PM
I've bought several sets if tires from Discount and had only good experiences. If you are near Boulder and need an esoteric piece of hardware or tool, go to McGuckins Hardware. They will either have it or know how to get it.

baja1d
05-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Agree with the above about Wally Mart & Discount but thought I'd throw in REI & occasionally Army Surplus.

nakman
05-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Check out Jax or Murdock's for cool camping-related items as well, particularly Jax. Agreed with above on Discount and Slee, have been to both several times and will do so again!

Shotshell
05-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Hey, thanks guys.
I'll look into that.
As far as wal-mart, I view it as a necessary evil. I find it hard to breathe in there, just saying.:p:

nuclearlemon
05-10-2013, 08:25 AM
avoid rei, they support anti ohv agendas

englewood has the best hardware store in a&a tradin' post...miss that place, but too far south for me now.

Inukshuk
05-10-2013, 09:07 AM
With the title of the thread I though it was going a different direction being Colorado an all :smokin:

Its legal now so you can call it by its name!

I use Discount Tire on 48th & Wadsworth. The Manager there was even at the FJ Summit a few years back and honored a $50 coupon a club member generously gave me.

x2 on Slee.

AAA metric for bolts.

wesintl
05-10-2013, 01:01 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFczBYvVhXCKGx_4W_h1eXnIqKeH9ghzynJgYPBSLcnYN0fz1_Xg

Corbet
05-10-2013, 01:54 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFczBYvVhXCKGx_4W_h1eXnIqKeH9ghzynJgYPBSLcnYN0fz1_Xg

That should be the Durango town flag.

mikeyhcrana
05-10-2013, 02:01 PM
I like using 4wp on 72nd & Federal if I need new stuff. They help quick, have a lot of recovery gear in stock, and it is on the way home from work for me. The ultimate place for cool stuff however are the pull n save yards to me, my favorite is I 76 & pecos. I keep a running list of everything I want, and go hunting all the time. Also everyone knows CL.

Shotshell
05-11-2013, 09:37 PM

LOL
Not THAT kind of "stuff":lmao:

Shotshell
05-11-2013, 09:38 PM
I like using 4wp on 72nd & Federal if I need new stuff. They help quick, have a lot of recovery gear in stock, and it is on the way home from work for me. The ultimate place for cool stuff however are the pull n save yards to me, my favorite is I 76 & pecos. I keep a running list of everything I want, and go hunting all the time. Also everyone knows CL.

Yes, I was definitely wanting to go hunting through a scrap yard for random odds and ends. I'll check that place out.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Agree on Slee for anything Land Cruiser accessory living on the front range. No personal experience with Discount Tire.

Me too!:

DaveInDenver
05-12-2013, 08:09 PM
avoid rei, they support anti ohv agendas

englewood has the best hardware store in a&a tradin' post...miss that place, but too far south for me now.
REI is akin to Wal-Mart for outdoor gear, sort of inevitable if you're a fun hog. You can try and avoid by using other shops where possible (Neptune, Bent Gate, Edge Works/Bike Doctor, Wilderness Exchange, Confluence Kayaks, Boulder Outdoor Center, Araphoe Cyclery, etc.). Although realize that a significant number of the manufacturers themselves are anti-OHV and so you often have to weigh suitable gear against political stances. If you're into any backcountry sports you will inevitably buy from a company who turns your money around to the SUWA, Sierra Club or otherwise. You will not outfit your climbing rack, put together a backcountry skiing kit, get your river running fix or buy your equipment for tackling the Colorado Trail without giving significant amounts of money to anti-OHV groups.

Caribou Sandstorm
05-12-2013, 08:14 PM
REI is akin to Wal-Mart for outdoor gear, sort of inevitable if you're a fun hog. You can try and avoid by using other shops where possible (Neptune, Bent Gate, Edge Works/Bike Doctor, Wilderness Exchange, Confluence Kayaks, Boulder Outdoor Center, Araphoe Cyclery, etc.). Although realize that a significant number of the manufacturers themselves are anti-OHV and so you often have to weigh suitable gear against political stances. If you're into any backcountry sports you will inevitably buy from a company who turns your money around to the SUWA, Sierra Club or otherwise. You will not outfit your climbing rack, put together a backcountry skiing kit, get your river running fix or buy your equipment for tackling the Colorado Trail without giving significant amounts of money to anti-OHV groups.

Well said, and true, true, true.....

Hulk
05-14-2013, 03:43 PM
I've purchased several sets of tires from Performance Wheel & Tire (http://www.performancewheel.com/contact-us/) over at Santa Fe and Oxford. They keep a lot of tires in stock, so you can go look at the tread pattern and compare actual size of tires.

nuclearlemon
05-14-2013, 03:47 PM

i'd rather spend money with a small business that only donates small amounts of money to a cause i hate than a huge corporation that gives millions to lots of organizations that i hate. ;)

and i don't shop at walmart either.

DaveInDenver
05-14-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm with you Ige, I try to avoid REI when I can. When Mountain Miser closed that put a dent in full line retailers for outdoor junk. The Englewood Army Surplus had some stuff. Problem is there just aren't that many places other than REI anymore unfortunately.

FWIW, REI is a member owned co-op, so any profit is returned as dividends to the membership, rather than a strictly for-profit corporation like Wal-Mart. But they are a big organization, that's for sure.