PDA

View Full Version : Nice FJ60 FS

60wag
05-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Not mine. Looks pretty nice (H55 5 speed)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888132

OilHammer
05-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Boo! Requires log in to see.

nakman
05-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Boo! Requires log in to see.

Yeah, combined with one of the worst user interfaces ever for login. :mad:

http://neduro.smugmug.com/Cars/1987-Toyota-Landcruiser-FJ60/i-FSVpRTp/0/L/IMG_0305-L.jpg

I am selling EITHER this or my Defender 90. It seems to me that LR and LC people are rarely one and the same, but I love them both... but can't keep 'em both. Will be happy no matter which one stays.

Bought from another inmate, who did an absolutely beautiful job of setting it up.

127k original miles
No Rust
Excellent interior (does have cracks in dash)

I have driven this truck all over the Southwest and Baja, and would get in it tomorrow and do it again. Yes, it's expensive. But try building one for what you can buy this one for.

OEM upgrades:

- OEM Toyota 5 speed
- OEM Toyota vinyl flooring (from Australia)- Jute underneath so truck is very quiet
- OEM Toyota mirrors (from Australia)
- All OEM parts used for maintenance throughout

Aftermarket upgrades:

- Slee rear Bumper/ spare tire/ hi-lift carrier (includes jack)
- ARB front bumper
- Old Man Emu Dakar + 4" lift w/ heavy rear spring
- Tuffy Security Console (locking center box)
- Alpine stereo/ upgraded speakers/ ipod integration (~$500)
- Baja Designs HID 6" pre-runner lights
- Near new BFG M/Ts (33 x 10.5) including spare
- Stockton Wheels (military style wheels) powdercoated black matte with locks (including spare)
- Baja Rack roof rack
- 4 row aftermarket radiator
- More I'm forgetting, I'm sure. . .

Recent maintenance:

- Rear axle seals
- Rear brake shoes
- Complete new OEM Toyota cooling system (hoses, water pump)
- Complete new OEM Toyota charging system (alternator, belts, voltage regulator, new battery)

Interior condition is excellent. Perfect headliner, excellent upholstery, only flaw is cracks in dashboard.

The Bad:
Oxidized paint
Minor dings around body
Minor clicking/ seeping Birfield
Dashboard cracks

In summary- this is as nice as an FJ gets. All the good stuff is original, all the maintenance has been Toyota quality, the upgrades are carefully chosen to stay in keeping with the fundamental purpose of the truck. Would cost ~$20k to recreate, if you started with another rust free 120k mile truck.

Drives perfectly, needs nothing.

$12k obo

For sale by my dealership, this has been my personal vehicle. Real estate transaction forces sale.

subzali
05-20-2013, 10:39 AM
is the inmate thing a joke?

nakman
05-20-2013, 11:22 AM
is the inmate thing a joke?

No, an "inmate" on Advrider is like a "fellow mudder" on ih8mud. It speaks to the intellect of the admins. :rolleyes:

MDH33
05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Very Nice 60! :cool:

PabloCruise
05-20-2013, 12:23 PM
What year?

60wag
05-20-2013, 12:48 PM

PabloCruise
05-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Funny that he is opting to keep the Defender!

That thing looks like it is worth $12k

Uncle Ben
05-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Im looking between the lines and I suspect the 60 has overheating issues in hot temps. After dropping a grand + on the issue along with associated preventive maintainance while he was in there the problem still exists.

MDH33
05-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Im looking between the lines and I suspect the 60 has overheating issues in hot temps. After dropping a grand + on the issue along with associated preventive maintainance while he was in there the problem still exists.

What specifically made you think overheating issue other than the "recent maintenance"?

I replaced all that stuff on my old 60 just because the radiator started leaking after 30 years. :hill:

Uncle Ben
05-20-2013, 03:08 PM
What specifically made you think overheating issue other than the "recent maintenance"?

I replaced all that stuff on my old 60 just because the radiator started leaking after 30 years. :hill:

First clue that there might be issues is that he can't decide what to sell between the Cruiser or the Britbomb. Secondly, nearly always on a for-sale add the most recently replaced items prior to sale are needed rather than routine maintenance. The fact that he replaced the radiator with a 4 core (not a problem) as a modification then listed the water pump and associated other front driven replacements as recent flick a flag in my head as that is a problem area. As my previous occupation of wrench wench the first thing you look for in a problem is what was replaced last.

MDH33
05-21-2013, 07:30 AM
First clue that there might be issues is that he can't decide what to sell between the Cruiser or the Britbomb.

Ha! Good point! :lmao:

Rzeppa
05-21-2013, 10:42 PM
That is not a 4" lift. That looks exactly like the ~2" or so on my 60 with 33" tyres. It is still worth a look. If he is able to extract that much $$ from a buyer it is good to know my 60 is worth similar bucks.

PabloCruise
05-22-2013, 09:38 AM
...the first thing you look for in a problem is what was replaced last.

Sounds like sound diagnostic advice!

neduro
05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm the guy with the truck for sale, if I could ever make up my mind. A buddy who's a member here tipped me off that this thread was going, I figured I'd drop in.

First clue that there might be issues is that he can't decide what to sell between the Cruiser or the Britbomb.

:)

Since I personally had the mental debate for so long between the "britbomb" and the "appliance", I thought it would be amusing to comment on it for a few sentences.

Since this is a Toyota forum, and probably everyone has driven an FJ60, I'll start my comments with the D90 and then relate them back. I should preface this by saying, I'm not a real off-road 4 wheel guy, I bought them both for the same Baja trip (and wound up taking the FJ), technical off-roading was limited to stuff that needed 4wd and good line selection and little else. So I'm sure there is all kinds of science about axle articulation and gear ratios and the rest, but I can't comment with any authority. What I can say is that I've driven both around town and on road trips, on dirt roads (and bad dirt roads), camped from a RTT on both, and basically feel like I have the gist of the ownership and driving experience, technical 4wd situations aside.

The Defender, IMO, kicks the beans out of the FJ in basically every performance parameter, except one that I'll get to. It's faster, handles much better, stops better, and has a certain panache to drive that is completely lacking in the FJ.

The D90 has some of the most brilliant engineering I've ever had the joy to appreciate co-located with some of the worst. My D90 is from the era when the truck is literally half metric and half SAE. Certain aspects of the vehicle are the most head scratching bass-ackwards mess I've ever had the misery to troubleshoot (I put a new engine in that one, the old one ran fine but I wanted more power).

The aspect of the FJ that is so appealing, and the place where it kicks the beans out of the Defender, is that it feels as though after the world ends, the truck will still be rolling along, just like it does today. The "character" and "panache" of the D90 are charming, but like most things charming, ultimately they are probably more the sum of flaws than of positive attributes.

Essentially, whichever one I have driven most recently, I resolve to keep. And then I drive the other one and flip-flop. I have most recently driven the FJ, so right now I'm working up the will to put the Defender on fleabay and deal with the flaky whackjobs that want to own British engineering (like me).

In short, the FJ feels like a somewhat slow, somewhat heavy, but very effective and trustworthy tool for taking backcountry trips. I don't especially like driving it around town in traffic, it feels a bit blunt in that setting (big and cumbersome and slowish). The Defender is super fun in town, gets a ton of positive attention, and I've never gone anywhere without a fairly complete set of tools in it. I've not needed them, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

In summary, today the FJ is the one I want to keep. Someone here want the Defender, and then we can compare notes on the relative merits?

PS: The FJ doesn't overheat, nor does it have electrical issues (replaced at the same time by the PO). He is a do it before it's a problem kind of guy, and the old radiator started leaking, so the cooling system went with it, and "while he was in there" he did the charging system.

subzali
05-29-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm the guy with the truck for sale, if I could ever make up my mind. A buddy who's a member here tipped me off that this thread was going, I figured I'd drop in.

:)

Since I personally had the mental debate for so long between the "britbomb" and the "appliance", I thought it would be amusing to comment on it for a few sentences.

Since this is a Toyota forum, and probably everyone has driven an FJ60, I'll start my comments with the D90 and then relate them back. I should preface this by saying, I'm not a real off-road 4 wheel guy, I bought them both for the same Baja trip (and wound up taking the FJ), technical off-roading was limited to stuff that needed 4wd and good line selection and little else. So I'm sure there is all kinds of science about axle articulation and gear ratios and the rest, but I can't comment with any authority. What I can say is that I've driven both around town and on road trips, on dirt roads (and bad dirt roads), camped from a RTT on both, and basically feel like I have the gist of the ownership and driving experience, technical 4wd situations aside.

The Defender, IMO, kicks the beans out of the FJ in basically every performance parameter, except one that I'll get to. It's faster, handles much better, stops better, and has a certain panache to drive that is completely lacking in the FJ.

The D90 has some of the most brilliant engineering I've ever had the joy to appreciate co-located with some of the worst. My D90 is from the era when the truck is literally half metric and half SAE. Certain aspects of the vehicle are the most head scratching bass-ackwards mess I've ever had the misery to troubleshoot (I put a new engine in that one, the old one ran fine but I wanted more power).

The aspect of the FJ that is so appealing, and the place where it kicks the beans out of the Defender, is that it feels as though after the world ends, the truck will still be rolling along, just like it does today. The "character" and "panache" of the D90 are charming, but like most things charming, ultimately they are probably more the sum of flaws than of positive attributes.

Essentially, whichever one I have driven most recently, I resolve to keep. And then I drive the other one and flip-flop. I have most recently driven the FJ, so right now I'm working up the will to put the Defender on fleabay and deal with the flaky whackjobs that want to own British engineering (like me).

In short, the FJ feels like a somewhat slow, somewhat heavy, but very effective and trustworthy tool for taking backcountry trips. I don't especially like driving it around town in traffic, it feels a bit blunt in that setting (big and cumbersome and slowish). The Defender is super fun in town, gets a ton of positive attention, and I've never gone anywhere without a fairly complete set of tools in it. I've not needed them, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

In summary, today the FJ is the one I want to keep. Someone here want the Defender, and then we can compare notes on the relative merits?

PS: The FJ doesn't overheat, nor does it have electrical issues (replaced at the same time by the PO). He is a do it before it's a problem kind of guy, and the old radiator started leaking, so the cooling system went with it, and "while he was in there" he did the charging system.

That's a pretty amusing post, good to see you're good-humored about the ribbing :)

Good luck with your sale :thumb:

neduro
05-29-2013, 03:38 PM
And, just for eye candy, here's a few pics of both trucks in use:

http://neduro.smugmug.com/Travel/ThanksgivingBaja2012/i-kfD3gm4/0/L/DSC00219-L.jpg

http://neduro.smugmug.com/Travel/ThanksgivingBaja2012/i-jchckf7/0/L/DSC00287-L.jpg

http://neduro.smugmug.com/Travel/ThanksgivingBaja2012/i-6JKgnxh/0/L/DSC00310-L.jpg

And the britbomb:

http://neduro.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Texas-Creek-Trials/i-DNpkMQX/0/L/IMG_2589-L.jpg

http://neduro.smugmug.com/photos/i-FK4gLZH/0/L/i-FK4gLZH-L.jpg

http://neduro.smugmug.com/photos/i-D96CxPm/0/L/i-D96CxPm-L.jpg

simps80
05-29-2013, 03:40 PM
MOOORRREE eye candy

nice truck btw :) not sayin' which one

just kidding

nice trucks btw

wesintl
05-29-2013, 04:11 PM

are you selling an FJ cruiser or defender? I see pics of a 60 but all the references are to an FJ but I dont see any pics of those horrid beasts :lmao::eek:

:thumb:

Uncle Ben
05-29-2013, 08:56 PM
That's a pretty amusing post, good to see you're good-humored about the ribbing :)

Good luck with your sale :thumb:

I agree! I've always liked the D90 looks but I just don't think I could ever trust one. I can see your whole analogy of both rigs, I think you put quite a bit of thought into your comparison! Both of your rigs would make anyone :drool:! Welcome to our forum! :thumb::thumb:

Uncle Ben
05-29-2013, 09:02 PM
I see pics of a 60 but all the references are to an FJ but I dont see any pics of those horrid beasts :lmao::eek:

:thumb:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::bowdown::bowdown::dodge raider:

Rzeppa
05-29-2013, 11:25 PM
D90s (or D100s) are really nice looking. My buddies in Nambia and South Africa put Land Cruiser Axles and Land Cruiser Transfer Cases and Land Cruiser Transmissions and Land Cruiser engines in them to make them reliable in the places where there aren't any mechanics or spare parts. Besides the mechanicals, then there is Lucas, the Prince of Darkness :-P