PDA

View Full Version : back at it in the garage

nakman
05-26-2013, 09:41 PM
I finally brought the bike in from the shed and kicked a car out. :o Changed the oil & filters, installed a 12v plug behind the headlight, then fixed my damaged throttle cable. It was down to just one strand... :hill: :D

nakman
05-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Then I took some more stuff off. Trying my hand at fork seals tonight.

farnhamstj
05-27-2013, 09:21 PM
How's it coming along?

farnhamstj
05-27-2013, 09:23 PM
My new ride blew 2 main fuses over the weekend. Happens when I pushed the kill switch, I think.

Friendly reminder to check you have spare 10a fuse with the bike and a couple spares.

Beater
05-28-2013, 07:01 AM
or, if you ride italian and german bikes like I do, carry and entire spare eletrical system

nakman
05-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Haven't made a ton of progress, other than borrowing the smack-it tool from Jacket. Have one fork completely torn down, the other still sitting there in tact- kinda keeping it there as a standard in case I forget the order of things. Will have a go tomorrow night hopefully- tonight's booked with baseball & real work.

I'm going to follow 60wag's suggestion and put ATF in the forks- apparently that's the magic fluid, and is readily available..

farnhamstj
05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
What's the smak-it from Jacket?

Jacket
05-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Fork seal driver.

nakman
06-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Ok I now know just enough to rip apart a pair of forks. I also know about 3 different ways to put it back together incorrectly... I also realized I fubared up one of the washers on disassembly, now it doesn't sit flat on the little seat it's supposed to sit on. :doh:

I'm going to punt and call Hitchcock. 303-761-4652. Putting the number here for easy reference during business hours tomorrow. One of my new seals has already been installed 3x now, each time off it gets a little bit smaller... I'm sure that'll leak now. I've got too many hours into this- plus he'll know better than me which springs to put back in, how much oil, etc. Can't be that much right?

DaveInDenver
06-02-2013, 04:00 PM
I figured trying to seat a bearing with a screwdriver meant you were either (1) missing a key SST or (b) doing it wrong.

nakman
06-02-2013, 04:30 PM
C.

Jenny Cruiser
06-03-2013, 08:20 PM
How did your throttle cable get to look like that?:confused:

nakman
06-03-2013, 08:52 PM
How did your throttle cable get to look like that?:confused:

No idea. I got the bike last August, and discovered the throttle cable was like that on a ride in September. Was kind of a fluke too, just pulled the plastic cap to see if anyone had done the o-ring mod, and was like :eek:.

Jacket
06-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Well that sucks. Do you have the FSM? Seems like it was pretty good at step by step instructions for all the pieces. But maybe long term you'll get a better setup for your size/weight with a bit of professional assistance.

nakman
06-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I have the WP fork manual, Bruce sent it to me. It's pretty good, but low resolution so tough to zoom in to see what the order of things is to be on the exploded drawing. I messed up and put the flat washer in after the fork seal, I also realized I did in fact create the angle it had, it's supposed to be flat. That was caused by trying to pull the fork apart without removing that snap ring- I really didn't pull that hard either. But it bent back flat very quickly on the vice, was about as easy as a star washer from a hub. At any rate, it's deformed now, fubar.

The quote I got over the phone was $110 labor plus parts. And yes, he'll be able to dial it in better for my weight/style/etc. than I ever could have.

nakman
06-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Well life did its best to stand in the way, but alas I managed to get it all together after all. Took it for a spin around the neighborhood tonight and must say it's running quite a bit better... looking forward to getting out on some dirt.

New throttle cables
Carb refresh, plus JD jet kit set to 6000-9000' (red needle 4th slot 168 main), red fuel screw upgrade, o-ring mod
New tires
new oil, new filters
rebuilt front forks- including new springs that are heavier than stock but lighter than the "heavies" I had originally.
some armor all

Let's ride! :moto: