PDA

View Full Version : Help with leaf springs

breckrider60
05-27-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm new to this forum and to having my own offroad machine but i've been wrenching on 4runners since i was 8 but never anything as old as the 89 I just picked up 3 weeks ago so I am not familiar with how to go about finding a good set of rear leaf springs since I snapped one on the trail today. The runner is heavily modified and I have very little information from the previous owner. I know it has a Dana 44 solid axle swap on both front and back and that the points of contact on the frame for the springs is about 4 ft long. Is this stock and if not where can find some quality springs?
thanks in advance

baja1d
05-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Your length is measured spring eye to spring eye like this:
33148 sounds like yours are 48". How wide are your springs? 33149

With these two measurements you should be able to determine weather or not they are stock or not. Furthermore, the measurement will lead you to what springs manufacturer you need, i.e. chevy, ford, etc. From that point you'll just have to determine how much lift you need. Another option would be to just stop by an off road shop & seek their advice. Was it a front or rear spring you broke? Chances are you'll need new springs all around or run the risk of changing a spring after each wheeling trip this summer.

breckrider60
05-27-2013, 09:31 PM
It was the rear right that snapped. I have it ghetto rigged with a u bolt holding it together right now but i dont really trust it. I figured I would need atleast a pair and was planning on just buying both rears do you think buying all 4 is necessary? I'm a brokeish college student and im going to need new tires soon so my budget is limited. I will go back out and measure it more precisely and post some pics with this post. do you know of a good manufacturer I ride the trail pretty hard and I would like to have some decent springs back there. Will thw springs be the same length on the truck as they will off? The pic you have shows them shorter than mine could that be because they arent under load? or are they completely different springs

baja1d
05-27-2013, 09:41 PM
I'd bet they're stock. Junk yards are full of them- (Yota Yard). Id just do a pair of throw down springs for now. My pictures were just for example proposes, they're off of a Landcruiser.

breckrider60
05-27-2013, 10:03 PM
From what ive read the after market ones are significantly better than stock especially off of a 20 year old truck? what are the odds I would snap them again? thanks for all the help

farnhamstj
05-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Odds are you'll break one again. New or old.

baja1d
05-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Odds are you'll break one again. New or old.

Agreed, wheeling ain't always cheap

breckrider60
05-27-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm learning that slowly but surely i found some for 45 a piece and thats not too terrible in my book. thanks for all the help one more question though do you i can get a set of goodrich all terrains for 900 for all 4 or goodrich mud terrains for 1100 which would you recommend?

farnhamstj
05-27-2013, 10:56 PM
For Colorado high country and Utah. AT's

mikeyhcrana
05-28-2013, 07:43 AM
you can have the old stock springs off the back of my 89 runner if you want. I would use this as a chanch to put chevy 63 inch spring on though if I were you. It will ride so much smoother and flex alot more too. Here is what the Chevies look like next to the stockers.

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/2805/1223120946b.jpg

Check out this link for great info. I dont think the aftermarket makes a better spring then this for your runner.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/20665-63-chevy-1-2-ton-spring-swap-faq.html

...and I would get the MT's

Squishy!
05-28-2013, 08:02 AM
X2 on the MT's. I ran AllPro springs all around on my 88 truck. They were pretty cheap and I never snapped em. Fairly flexy and I beat on em hard.

DaveInDenver
05-28-2013, 10:14 AM
From what ive read the after market ones are significantly better than stock especially off of a 20 year old truck? what are the odds I would snap them again? thanks for all the help
I don't think that is the case, the stock springs are usually too soft but otherwise good quality. Just that anything 25 years old that flexes will eventually fatigue. My feeling is that most aftermarket springs are either equal or lower quality. If I had to guess the reason yours failed is that your spring bushings are seized.

Finding a decent set of stock springs is you're best low buck, quick option at this point.

If you can do fabrication or want to have someone do the welding for you, going to 63" Chevy springs is an option. You usually need to drop the gas tank to weld on the front spring hanger. Don't forget to factor in that you'll need different shocks for them, too. Chevy springs travel more and by using your shocks as travel limiters you will ruin them.

mikeyhcrana
05-28-2013, 11:16 AM
That's what I'd do too, replace stock springs to do right now, or 63's to do it right.

True, to do the 63's, you need to understand how shocks & bump stops work, be able to R&I your fuel tank, and weld. I think if you can't do that, maybe you should look for a JK like all the yuppies. In my opinion, Toyotas are superior vehicles because one can easily diagnose and fix oneself. Your really missing out if your afraid to do your own work, Toyotas are a pleasure to work on compared to most other manufactures.

breckrider60
05-28-2013, 08:13 PM
If i could get those from you that would be great I read the article you posted and that seems really interesting i wish i hadnt read it because i have so much i already want to do to this and that is now definitely on my list. I just dont have time because of my job planting season is pretty busy for me.

breckrider60
05-28-2013, 08:16 PM
And again thanks everybody for all the help i wasnt expecting to get this much help i didnt realize there were this many toyota enthusiasts in colorado. Im looking forward to going to a meeting soon!!!

Squishy!
05-28-2013, 11:11 PM
They're a bunch of old crusties but they're alright.

Kidding its an awesome group. :thumb:

mikeyhcrana
05-29-2013, 06:27 AM
If i could get those from you that would be great I read the article you posted and that seems really interesting i wish i hadnt read it because i have so much i already want to do to this and that is now definitely on my list. I just dont have time because of my job planting season is pretty busy for me.

Sure. You can have all the hardware too in case you break more on the R&I except, I broke one of the U-bolts already. You'll have to come to my work to get them. Ramsey Auto Body in Lakewood, Colfax & Brentwood. I'll PM you my number, call before you come so I can make sure I'm not out to lunch.

source3
05-29-2013, 09:46 AM
I have a '91 pickup. Rear leaf spring hangers are about 4' 3" apart. I installed Old Man Emu (OME) suspension last year. Ordered them from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters out of Utah. Quality suspension. I ordered the heavy but removed a leaf spring out of the stack to make it a medium. If I add a shell to the rear or extra weight I have the option of installing the remaining leaf spring to bring it back to heavy. If you have any questions call Kurt (phone number on website). Give him a few days to call you back.

DaveInDenver
05-29-2013, 10:07 AM
The springs on your '91 are longer than those on his 4Runner. FWIW, the factory springs from a 89-95 XtraCab work on some Tacomas (I think 96-97) and gives a little bit of lift and less sag.

OME suspension is nice, this is what I run, too. I started with mediums and added a leaf, but took it out. So I'm just running 6 leaf packs with a WilderNest camper. The reason you'd need the extra leaf would be if you carry a lot of weight and want to retain the full lift. That was why I had the 7th leaf, to be sure to clear 33" tires.

Now that I'm running 30" tires, I've never had an issue with clearance with regular medium packs at full payload (camper plus gear & passengers is 1,150 lbs). The OME packs have 3 main leaves and 3 progressive overloads, which is different than Toyota. They have 3 main leafs and one huge diving board overload. When you hit the factory spring limit you know it, the springs just about stop traveling unless you have a lot of weight in the bed.

Having that extra leaf in the OME pack made it ride pretty bad empty, which is mainly why I wanted to take it out.

Corbet
05-29-2013, 12:57 PM
one more question though do you i can get a set of goodrich all terrains for 900 for all 4 or goodrich mud terrains for 1100 which would you recommend?

I would not want to run MT's year round personally in CO.

breckrider60
05-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Well i generally have alot of people riding with me I live in a college house and inevitably i have 8-10 people trying to cram into my car so a spring upgrade might not be a bad idea.

As for the tires I probably wont be driving the truck much in the winter if at all i have a celica I use for snowboarding and long distance driving since getting 15 miles per gallon really chokes my bank account. I have 36in super swampers on there now but you would think they were racing slicks. I'm thinking of downgrading to 35's. I really want a sensible tire but i dont want to lose the look it has right now.