PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Ham Tech Operator Class

DaveInDenver
06-02-2013, 07:25 AM
I've been threatening a class for a while, I need to get off the dime and do it. Please reply to this thread if you want to either sit in for the class or proctor the exam (ideally we'll be able give the test, too). Anticipated material will be substantially based on the ARRL Technician presentation with added discussion as needed or desired.

I will be teaching to the 2010 question pool, which is valid until 30 June 2014. I will be happy to discuss most any aspect of ham radio but the slides will be substantially discussing question on the Element 2 exams. As in very substantially to the questions you'll see on the Technician exam.

Bring a notebook and writing instrument if you wish. If you have a Tech study manual you are welcome to bring it although I won't be talking directly from one.

The pool questions:
http://www.ncvec.org/downloads/Revised%20Element%202.Pdf

Brian's, KC0YRM, excellent license notes:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5863

The ARRL's study guide:
http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-License-Manual-Revised-2nd-Edition

It looks like we have a quorum of VEs, so I will try to pull together the exam, too.

Dates:
July 16, 23, 30 (instruction)
August 6 (if needed for exam)

Time:
7PM to 9PM

7270 W 118th Pl., Unit A
Broomfield, CO 80020

Students

Dan Kucera (MountainGoat)
Tim Nakari (nakman)
Barry Dykes (Sleepy)
Terry Holben (Art Hog)
Tom (BournID)
Dave Kaiser (Old40Dog)
Jim Sanderson (DenCo40)
Marco (rover67)
mjsloan
Drew F. (Rezarf)
Jimmy
Joel
Craig (walk-in)
Kevin (walk-in)
Open

VEs

David Armbruster (Extra)
Matt Farr (General)
Ricardo Maestas (General)
TBD

Schedule:
Tuesday, July 16

Introduction
Why Do We Bother Being Amateurs
Operating Basics
Essential FCC Rules and Ham Courtesy

Tuesday, July 23

Propagation Basics
Safety
Test Equipment and Practices
Basic Electronics

Tuesday, July 30

Basic Electronics (continued)
Operating Modes
Radios and Antennas

Tuesday, August 6

Exam
Beers!

Sleepy
06-02-2013, 10:54 AM
After my last post, I guess I'd have to say I was in :-) Hopefully, we could do some setups as well. It's one thing to just rote memorize things for a test, it's entirely another to have hands on experience to understand why such things are important to know.

MountainGoat
06-02-2013, 12:56 PM
I am in for this Dave. Been needing to do it forever and can't seem to make time to study on my own. With kids and all, getting out of the house is a huge plus for me to get it done. I really appreciate you doing this man. I actually prefer Stevinson, but would be willing to go elsewhere within reason. :D

DaveInDenver
06-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Just to clarify, it would be 3 evenings if I can pull together a testing session. It would only need to be 2 nights for the class part itself. I am putting operator level behind the VE, if I get 3 Extras we could let people take upgrade exams, too.

If I can't get the exam for whatever reason there are tests in Bailey and Monument on 7/27, in Englewood on 8/3 and Louisville on 8/8.

Hulk
06-03-2013, 12:28 AM
I should be able to act as a VE on the 30th.

nakman
06-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks for doing this Dave. Pencil me in as a student depending on the dates & location... would like to brush up on some theory myself and I'd be glad to help facilitate some of the topics as well. :thumb:

Groucho
06-05-2013, 12:36 PM
I am damn proud to thank Dave for putting this on. I wish I could do it twice a year still, but brewery work never gets me much time for anything else!

I would like to be present on July 16th and 23 for moral support as well as some real world application stories, but we leave for a trip to AK on July 25th and won't be back until August 2nd, so being an official VE for the test on July 30 isn't feasible.

I seem to remember that RicardoJM is also a VE, maybe I could bribe him (and the whole VE team) with some :beer: to ensure you have a full team for at least giving the Tech test.

Dave, I think I still have some material for giving the test, I will round it up and try to get it to you or Nakman so you have it. Pencils and paperwork. I'll look to see if it still is valid. I could also offer the brewery upstairs room for the classes and the exam. Tuesdays usually are really good for things like this. We could do all sorts of media stuff as well as some demo stuff.

Sleepy
06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I guess I wasn't clear - I'm in - Barry Dykes

art hog
06-06-2013, 12:44 AM
I will join in, too

DaveInDenver
06-06-2013, 06:13 AM
I am damn proud to thank Dave for putting this on. I wish I could do it twice a year still, but brewery work never gets me much time for anything else!
There is no reason this should be your responsibility, there are lots of capable hams within (and without) the club.
I seem to remember that RicardoJM is also a VE, maybe I could bribe him (and the whole VE team) with some :beer: to ensure you have a full team for at least giving the Tech test.
I have no doubt that it time allows Ricardo will help out. Just have to lay on the guilt thick and heavy...
Dave, I think I still have some material for giving the test, I will round it up and try to get it to you or Nakman so you have it. Pencils and paperwork. I'll look to see if it still is valid. I could also offer the brewery upstairs room for the classes and the exam. Tuesdays usually are really good for things like this. We could do all sorts of media stuff as well as some demo stuff.
Glad you mentioned it, I do not have the ARRL slides and have never set up a testing session. I can hit you offline for the 4-1-1.

Big Choice would be a fine classroom. Since I'm not a paid member of the club and have not been to a meeting in years, I'm not sure what I have to do to reserve the Stevinson meeting room, so alternative locations are not a problem for me. Does anyone have a strong preference? One thing about using Stevinson is that they are very strict about being out of there on time. This cuts both ways, keeps things moving but also can cut short discussion.

art hog
06-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Big Choice would be a fine classroom. Since I'm not a paid member of the club and have not been to a meeting in years, I'm not sure what I have to do to reserve the Stevinson meeting room, so alternative locations are not a problem for me. Does anyone have a strong preference? One thing about using Stevinson is that they are very strict about being out of there on time. This cuts both ways, keeps things moving but also can cut short discussion.

I like a IPA with my ham.

BournID
06-06-2013, 08:48 PM
I would like to participate. I should be a member by then... Not taking the vote for granted, of course. I don't have a CB yet and figure why buy one and then a ham later.....

nakman
06-06-2013, 11:54 PM
I would like to participate. I should be a member by then... Not taking the vote for granted, of course. I don't have a CB yet and figure why buy one and then a ham later.....

You don't need to be a RS member to be a part of this. But don't let that stop you from joining :D. In fact, will be a good way to get to know a few of the guys and decide if they're worth hanging out with further..

And you still may want a CB- depends on the run you're on, sometimes it's all Ham, other times is mostly CB. Most folks with Ham also have CB, not all though. I'll warn you though if you get used to Ham you're not going to like the CB very much.. ;)

DaveInDenver
06-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Looking at my calendar and considering the options I have updated the original post with more firm date/times and locations.

I have decided to hold the class upstairs at Big Choice Brewing. I would prefer a location a little closer to home (I live close to Ft. Collins) and think the setting would be more casual.

I originally planned on two nights of instruction and a third for potential testing. I can still do that but I believe that would be a lot of material to absorb and get pretty boring. For now I will still reserve 3 days but dispense with the exam on the 3rd night and go with 2 hours each night instead.

If I can get an exam session together I will plan it for the next week, which is Tuesday, August 6.

rover67
06-19-2013, 05:11 PM
can one test/learn for general or extra at this event?

DaveInDenver
06-19-2013, 06:09 PM
can one test/learn for general or extra at this event?
The class has traditionally been Technician prep but it's loosely structured, so it will depend on who's there and the pace I think. I want to make sure it does not overwhelm people just starting.

As far as the exam, it depends on how many Extra class volunteers I can arrange, assuming I can get the exam part organized at all!

nakman
06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
My opinion is had I known the Technician material better I would have done better on the General. Seemed like more of the same, just the next level... so for me, a recap of the Technician's material is paramount to me even understanding the General material. Call this Calc 1, General is Calc 2- you just can't skip the prerequisite or you'll have no idea what's going on. At least I can't.

Looking forward to the class Dave, it's on the calendar.

Old40Dog
06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Put me down for the class Dave. And thanks for doing this!

DenCo40
06-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Count me in..-Jim Sanderson

rover67
06-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm gonna try to make it. no reason not to.
Beer, friends, HAM geekyness, perfect.

DaveInDenver
07-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Bump to top. As a reminder, the class starts a week from today. I will be bringing a Powerpoint presentation and a small white board.

RicardoJM
07-09-2013, 04:52 PM
I missed this entirely. I can make myself availalbe for the VE Team. :D

mjsloan
07-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Hello. I would like to join class-starting next Tuesday.

Rezarf
07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Can I just take the exam with you dudes? I think a pablano stout would actually help me out!

Drew

Hulk
07-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Exam is now on 8/6 rather than 7/30? Just want to get this into my calendar.

DaveInDenver
07-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Exam is now on 8/6 rather than 7/30? Just want to get this into my calendar.
Yes, I moved it to 3 evenings of class and a 4th for the exam because I just don't see how it could be crammed into 2 without boring people to sleep or skimming over stuff so fast as to be useless.

Plus I've never set up an exam session and I still need to figure out what the heck all that entails!

I am open to suggestions otherwise but at this point I am reluctant to change it again.

Hulk
07-11-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm clear that night -- should be fine.

Rezarf
07-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Can I just take the exam with you dudes? I think a pablano stout would actually help me out!

Drew

:beer::thumb::beer:

DaveInDenver
07-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Bump for reminder, the first class is tonight. See everyone there!

Class Details (first post of this thread):

MountainGoat
07-16-2013, 05:34 PM
:( Crap. Unforeseen "home improvement" project has required my time tonight. Hope to make the rest though. Send me the transcript, eh?

DaveInDenver
07-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for showing up guys, sorry we went late but we crammed 5 hours of material into 2-1/2.

Here's a PDF of the slides we went through last night:
http://www.armbrusterweb.com/public/ham/Rising_Sun_2013_Night1.pdf

We rolled through the last few pretty quick, so review them and feel free to post questions or we can discuss them at the next class.

I packaged the slides I think we need to get through next Tuesday:
http://www.armbrusterweb.com/public/ham/Rising_Sun_2013_Night2.pdf

There's a lot of material to cover again, but I think it should be less dry because we're talking about radios instead of science and engineering.

I went ahead and bundled the slides for the third night. I figure we'll push them quickly because it's mostly rules, shouldn't be a lot of explanation.
http://www.armbrusterweb.com/public/ham/Rising_Sun_2013_Night3.pdf

FWIW, I built a presentation that I was gonna use if we couldn't get the ARRL slides. Looking at it I think it might still be useful since it does mention test questions specifically and is less technical. If you want to have a look it's here:
http://www.armbrusterweb.com/public/ham/RS_Tech_Class_Summer2013.pdf

MountainGoat
07-17-2013, 11:20 AM
That's awesome, thanks Dave! :D

DaveInDenver
07-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Bump for reminder, tomorrow is class #2. Any questions we can answer before?

nakman
07-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Looking forward to this week.. do you need/want any stuff?

DaveInDenver
07-29-2013, 09:49 PM
This week is operating techniques and rules. We'll also recover any material we have time to go back over. Can't think of anything specifically we need Nakman. Thanks!

I would like to remind the other VE's that a week from tomorrow is the scheduled exam. I have the materials from the ARRL, so should be GTG. We will only be doing Tech exams during this session.

Hulk
07-29-2013, 11:14 PM
OK. I am still planning on this.

RicardoJM
07-29-2013, 11:17 PM
I am still in for VE duty.

DaveInDenver
08-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Major BUMP!

Tomorrow is test night, I hope everyone is ready. Post up questions and I will check as often as I can this evening and tomorrow morning.

Good luck everyone, we're all counting on you.

MountainGoat
08-06-2013, 05:03 PM
I might just have a fighting chance now!

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/mountaingoat/2013/test.JPG

nakman
08-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Nice! :bowdown:

DenCo40
08-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Major BUMP!

Tomorrow is test night, I hope everyone is ready. Post up questions and I will check as often as I can this evening and tomorrow morning.

Good luck everyone, we're all counting on you.

Thanks Dave for putting on the class. I learned a lot!

MountainGoat
08-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks Dave for putting on the class. I learned a lot!

Ditto that. You finally got me off my butt to get this done. Thanks to Ricardo and Matt for pitching in on the testing as well!

:yagi: :thumb:

Old40Dog
08-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys! Finally got this DONE! :yagi: