PDA

View Full Version : Spring Creek Father's Day Run - 14th Annual - Sunday June 16th

Rzeppa
06-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Bring your father! Bring your kids! Let your kids drive! Let your father drive! :eek:

I will be leading our Fourteenth annual Father's Day trail ride on Spring Creek Trail on Sunday June 16th. The trail is moderate to difficult. It used to do-able in a stocker with a good driver, but in recent years has become more difficult for a stocker, so 33s and a rear locker are recommended. With a small group, this is a half day trail. This run has become very popular in our club and will probably take longer, typically getting back to I-70 in Georgetown around 3:00 PM or so.

As always, the amount of time will depend on our group size, trail traffic and (hopefully not) breakage or mechanical issues. Tools and spares are recommended. We will be in cell phone coverage most of the way, and within hiking distance of civilization.

I am told that the Burger King in Downieville is no longer there, so I'd like to move the meeting spot back to the McDonalds in El Rancho. I always liked Egg McMuffins better than those croissant things they had at Burger King anyway. We'll meet at 8:00 AM and roll out at 8:30, air down when we get off the highway in Downieville.

We will start on CB channel 4, but if we get stepped on by too many others we will switch to channel 5. The only ham I have is in my sandwich, so the 2 meter folks can figure out whatever you want.

The trail starts near Downieville, and ends up either at I-70 in Georgetown or on CO-103 near Chicago Creek, depending on the route out we choose to take. The trail gets progressively more difficult as we go up until we reach the rock garden. The "big obstacle" is the rock garden near the top. There is sort of a winding bypass, but it too is difficult, and has become more so in recent years. There are several interesting obstacles before that, including a steep shelf that might remind you of Moab, a hill where we had a rollover a few years ago, but has a bypass, another dirt hill with no bypass, a difficult rocky hill after a sharp left with no bypass, and then the rock garden. After the rock garden the trail is still difficult until we reach the meadow at the top. After the meadow, it is an easy Subaru-grade drive out on dirt forest roads to either I-70 or CO-103. The Saxon Mountain excape was previously blocked by a rock slide, I don't know if it has been reopened yet. If someone knows, please post up.

Traffic back to Denver has been an issue the last several years, with stop and go on I-70. We can take take the frontage roads all the way from Georgetown to Idaho Springs if necessary, where the traffic generally thins out. We will play it by ear (or eyes) and see what route we take home. If we drop down into Georgetown, you can see whether I-70 is clogged with traffic from the switchbacks high above. Obviously with the work on the twin tunnels part of our frontage road is now I-70 proper, so getting back to town may still be an issue.

Bring lunch, water (lots), your father, kids, your camera and permagrin. This is always a fun trail and good time.

Trip Report from 2006 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1627&highlight=father%27s+day)

Trip Report from 2007 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4051&highlight=father%27s+day)

Trip Report from 2008 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7400&highlight=father%27s+day)

Trip Report from 2009 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10225&highlight=father%27s+day)

Trip Report from 2010 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13347&highlight=Spring+Creek)

Happy cruisin'!

baja1d
06-09-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm a possibility but would be getting a late start... Like 10ish at trail head. PM or call me if anyone else is in the same boat. 72o-987-42o2

Hoping to have this be "Old Blue's" (FJ40) maiden voyage!!!

Travis

JadeRunner
06-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I will be there with my Dad and kids. A Father's Day tradition.

Beachboy
06-10-2013, 12:59 PM
possible but not sure yet

BournID
06-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Count my wife and me in. First and qualifying event for membership. (And possibly my son in his 1st gen 4Runner)

breckrider60
06-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Count my wife and me in. First and qualifying event for membership. (And possibly my son in his 1st gen 4Runner)

I'll come but I might need help getting some tires before it. Im past the wear bars on the swampers right now.

ps. look what i did last weekend don't tell mom

Rzeppa
06-11-2013, 06:36 PM
I'll come but I might need help getting some tires before it. Im past the wear bars on the swampers right now.

That's one way to clear the rock garden LOL! :lmao:

JadeRunner
06-11-2013, 06:50 PM
FYI -That picture doesn't represent responsible wheeling like we foster in our club.

And please make sure your rig is well maintained with safe tires. This trail has lots of obstacles and big rocks. Plus many of will have our families so we will want to have a "clean" run if at all possible.

Thanks in advance. :)

Air Randy
06-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Dee and I will probably be there in Meanie. But since we are trailering we will probably not stop at El Rancho so we can be unloaded and ready to go when you guys show up. We'll just meet at the trailhead.

Old40Dog
06-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Me and Rachel are in! See you all at MacDonalds!:hill:

Rzeppa
06-13-2013, 11:58 PM
We visited Georgetown today and I asked the attendant at the visitor center whether the Saxon Mountain road had been re-opened after last year's rock slide. She was not only unaware of the rock slide, but offered that Guanella Pass was open. :rolleyes:

On the way to G-town, the twin tunnels looked like a nightmare on a Thursday afternoon eastbound with nothing, absolutely nothing that could reasonably account for what looked like about a 30 minute delay eastbound. The backups extended well through potato springs, and were more stop than go.

So we will be going back to 103, maybe all the way to Evergreen instead of potato springs. Definitely not though G-town and I-70.

WyoOtto
06-14-2013, 11:37 AM
We visited Georgetown today and I asked the attendant at the visitor center whether the Saxon Mountain road had been re-opened after last year's rock slide. .

Last fall I did a solo trip up Spring Creek and came down Saxon mountain not knowing that there was a landslide. Let me clarify, I'm pretty sure that I came down Saxon Mountain - I'm just starting to get to know the country. The road I came down from Saxon mountain is all switchbacks and drops you into Georgetown. There was a landslide at the top which was passable though with a pucker factor in the 9 range without a spotter. I don't have a pic of the landslide which is just out of view to the left but this is the road that I went down which took me straight into Georgetown.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/WyoOtto/LX450/IMG_7862.jpg

Right now I'm planning on making the run with you guys and I'm really excited about it:cheers:

Rzeppa
06-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Last fall I did a solo trip up Spring Creek and came down Saxon mountain not knowing that there was a landslide. Let me clarify, I'm pretty sure that I came down Saxon Mountain - I'm just starting to get to know the country. The road I came down from Saxon mountain is all switchbacks and drops you into Georgetown. There was a landslide at the top which was passable though with a pucker factor in the 9 range without a spotter. I don't have a pic of the landslide which is just out of view to the left but this is the road that I went down which took me straight into Georgetown.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/WyoOtto/LX450/IMG_7862.jpg

Right now I'm planning on making the run with you guys and I'm really excited about it:cheers:

That is indeed the route down Saxon Mountain. I think we'll probably go back via 103 anyway, that'll circumvent whatever Sunday afternoon traffic jam there is on I-70 anyway. Unfortunately there won't be any way to avoid the twin tunnel mess, let's just hope it isn't too much of a delay. The alternative would be to take 103 all the way over Echo Lake back in to Evergreen. It is nice scenic drive, and while it may not save a lot of time, at least we'd be moving instead of stuck in stop and go traffic on the interstate.

Sleepy
06-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Is the way you are taking back loaded with shelf roads like Saxon down to Georgetown? What is that way back called so that I can look for it on Traildamage?

JadeRunner
06-15-2013, 08:48 PM
So we want to end up on Chicago Ck. road and take it home via Echo Lake/Squaw pass. That's sounds like a fine plan for me to avoid I70. Going into Idaho Springs, then directly up and north to Central City would be another option for some (OMG Road or something).

Ute Ck. or Cascade Ck. roads will both get us oto Chicago Ck Rd. Ute Ck. will be quicker based on our timing. They can be confusing to find so here is a map of them. I'm pretty familiar with those roads but will have this map just in case. Spring Ck trail connects near the top left of the map where it says "Forest Svr Rd"

Sleepy
06-15-2013, 09:00 PM
I was trying to find the McDonald's in El Rancho on google maps. It doesn't show up. Can I get more specifics about which McD's that is? We are planning to come as well. Thx.

Sandman
06-15-2013, 09:56 PM
I was trying to find the McDonald's in El Rancho on google maps. It doesn't show up. Can I get more specifics about which McD's that is? We are planning to come as well. Thx.

McDonald's
902 Swede Gulch Road
Evergreen, CO 80439
(303) 526-5810

JadeRunner
06-15-2013, 09:58 PM
It's at the El Rancho and I70 exit next to the Wallmart. You cant miss it.

Rzeppa
06-15-2013, 11:27 PM
So we want to end up on Chicago Ck. road and take it home via Echo Lake/Squaw pass. That's sounds like a fine plan for me to avoid I70. Going into Idaho Springs, then directly up and north to Central City would be another option for some (OMG Road or something).

Ute Ck. or Cascade Ck. roads will both get us oto Chicago Ck Rd. Ute Ck. will be quicker based on our timing. They can be confusing to find so here is a map of them. I'm pretty familiar with those roads but will have this map just in case. Spring Ck trail connects near the top left of the map where it says "Forest Svr Rd"

Thanks so much Scott! I will count on you as my wing man when we head out from the top. The map you are showing amplifies my earlier impression of a maze of junctions trying to get to 103. One of the main reasons I always went down Saxon Mountain in years past was it's simplicity...:p:

Rzeppa
06-15-2013, 11:28 PM

Google is evil. Do not trust them. ;)