PDA

View Full Version : black forest fire

nuclearlemon
06-11-2013, 07:13 PM
iirc, steve h is down there...everything ok? i have a small guest room, but welcome to it. one of the state guys is evacing from there now. :(

Fishy
06-11-2013, 08:12 PM
We just had a soccer game at Parker/Arapahoe Storm fields.....it's amazing how well you can see it from there...... That fire is really growing.

Corbet
06-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Porter's breeder lives down there. We emailed them but have not got a response yet. Hope everyone is safe.

FJBRADY
06-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Hants lives down that way too, hope all is well.

FJCDan
06-11-2013, 10:16 PM
iirc, steve h is down there...everything ok? i have a small guest room, but welcome to it. one of the state guys is evacing from there now. :(

Ya Steve H is very close to the fire I was at his house back in March when I picked up his van I bought. I hope he is allright too. I am sure he has been evacuated.

Rezarf
06-11-2013, 11:11 PM
We are in the Springs all summer, the smoke cloud gave me the willies after last years blaze. We are hearing reports of 8 homes burned today. Its calm tonight, tomorrow should be just as hot without the wind.

Drew

baja1d
06-11-2013, 11:38 PM
We are in the Springs all summer, the smoke cloud gave me the willies after last years blaze. We are hearing reports of 8 homes burned today. Its calm tonight, tomorrow should be just as hot without the wind.

Drew

That info is soooo 22 minutes ago. Mandatory evacuation are now in place. Looks like it crossed Meridian. Having lost everything to a house fire... My .02, grab your pictures, everything else is truly replaceable

Dirt Claude
06-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Telly lives down that way too.

Rezarf
06-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah, we have a family Go bag ready to roll, its far from where we are by the Garden of the Gods. Last years Waldo Canyon fire taught us to be ready and what to pack. We have a big ruck sack filled with clothes, backup hard drives, digital pics, meds, and enough kit to crash with friends for up to a week or two. If we have extra time, then we will grab other valuables that are strung though out the house. We have made a list in priority of what we should grab first given extra time. Last year taught us that when slurry bombers are just over your head, your head isn't always thinking clearly. ;) Lists should help us stay focused and move quickly.

PabloCruise
06-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Thoughts and prayers to our Cruiser breathren down south...

Unfortunately, this is turning into an annual event on the Front Range.

Lars
06-12-2013, 03:20 PM
My nephews boy scout troop is (was) at sommer camp at peaseful valley in donw in that area. the whole camp started evactuation procedures about two hours ago.

SteveH
06-12-2013, 04:34 PM
We evac'd safely - but are sorta sitting on pins and needles. I was repacking the front axle on my '40, so I could not take it with me when we bailed. Oh, well. Thanks for the offers of help!

nuclearlemon
06-12-2013, 07:17 PM
some of the guys who've been around for a while may know jeff stemas from the state association. he just found out they made the bad list....total loss. :(

cbmontgo
06-12-2013, 07:23 PM
some of the guys who've been around for a while may know jeff stemas from the state association. he just found out they made the bad list....total loss. :(

So horrible.

Corbet
06-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Hants emailed me yesterday. He is evacuated but the fire is still relatively far from him right now.

Telly
06-13-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm in the pre evac zone. We have the cars packed and ready. Just heard this fire is most destructive in colorado history.

frontrange
06-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Now at 360 homes lost and still counting. I'm just west of BF under pre-evac and just hoping they can hold the line at hwy 83 on the fire's west side...

At least no one hurt or killed so far in this one.

PabloCruise
06-13-2013, 02:28 PM

That is awful. And now at ~360 homes lost? :(

corsair23
06-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Dang....Fingers crossed folks

Is it just me or does it seem stupid, yeah stupid, that the minute they get a report of a fire like this that the don't immediately fire up a couple tankers etc to go try to douse the thing? If I understand it correctly the fire started Tuesday early afternoon but it wasn't until Wednesday late morning, almost noon, before they started air support. WTF? If you catch it when it is small, maybe one or two passes by those big boys and it is out, or at least somewhat beaten down.

I'm pretty sure the tankers were in Colorado ready to go...We were at Ft Logan yesterday for soccer and it was pretty much constant tanker flybys heading to and from the fire....

FJCDan
06-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Just heard on Nightly news that 2 bodies have been found in burn area. This one now worse than the Waldo Canyon fire. How much more can this State take.

Keith
06-13-2013, 07:41 PM

Is it just me or does it seem stupid, yeah stupid, that the minute they get a report of a fire like this that the don't immediately fire up a couple tankers etc to go try to douse the thing? If I understand it correctly the fire started Tuesday early afternoon but it wasn't until Wednesday late morning, almost noon, before they started air support. WTF? If you catch it when it is small, maybe one or two passes by those big boys and it is out, or at least somewhat beaten down.

I'm pretty sure the tankers were in Colorado ready to go...We were at Ft Logan yesterday for soccer and it was pretty much constant tanker flybys heading to and from the fire....

A friend was on the first engine company on scene at the 4-mile Canyon fire a couple summers ago. They had to reposition 8 times in the first 2 hours... Because they kept getting over-run.... So, even when these fires are "small", they are actually quite large and more than you can take out w/ a couple runs from a tanker.

black95
06-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Just wait until all those brown trees up the I-70 corridor catch fire. That's going to be awful.

MDH33
06-13-2013, 10:49 PM
This is so awful. Really makes one think about how easy it can be to lose almost everything.

Hoping that those of you in the area are safe, and for those that lost their homes, truly sorry.

:(

Corbet
06-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Just wait until all those brown trees up the I-70 corridor catch fire. That's going to be awful.

Its not if but when. And its really the only way the forest will recover. But yes its going to be bad at a whole new level.

Shotshell
06-13-2013, 11:47 PM

Yeah, I'm with you on this. It's not like we're going to have a summer up here without a fire for awhile. SO, since it's a "when" and not an "if", it seems like there should be massive resources on standby, ready to execute an aggressive response in the first critical hours after the first reports.
But, all that costs a lot of money.
But it does seem like if there were a large fleet of tankers or "slushy bombers" on standby all summer long, there could be six or seven of them deployed immediately to hit the fire hard while it's still "small". If there's a twenty or thirty acre fire it would seem like a fast overwhelming response would be well worth the money to put it out fast.
Now, I'm no expert on fire fighting. But it does seem like these things keep coming as a surprise that leaves everyone scrambling to muster resources from all over the place. Seems like there should be "Fire Fighting Air-Bases" up and down the state. Or a fire fighter squadron at the air-force base in the springs.
Now, I'm not trying to be critical of anyone. I know that those fire fighters out there are busting their asses to get these things under control. I'm just saying that perhaps it's time to start rethinking how we look at this problem. And there may be some things that I don't know about. But it does seem like it's inevitable and unavoidable.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the people effected by this. It's unimaginable the feelings that they must be going through. :(

SteveH
06-14-2013, 11:00 AM
The sheriff here indicated that he'd never seen the MAFFs deployed so fast, but it was still 2 days into the fire.

Not to politicize this thread too much, but this is an interesting observation of the voting of money for air defense of fires in Colorado:

http://coloradopeakpolitics.com/2013/06/12/party-line-issue-republicans-wanted-air-tanker-funding-hickenlooper-dems-didnt/

There will be more fires in this state - guaranteed. When does our legislature start acting like it?

Red_Chili
06-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Well... you certainly politicized it about as much as could be done. Of equal concern is Federal funding and USFS funding, the state cannot bear all the burden. Small government has its merits... but in this area I would prefer big government.

A coworker was in Denver on Tuesday and got the reverse 911. She got the EVAC NOW!!!! reverse 911 on the train hurrying south to parking. Her husband grabbed what he could and bugged out ASAP.

She found out yesterday, total loss. Chickens and one cat that refused to be caught are lost.

I'm working remote, thankfully I have a boss who doesn't want to see a repeat of what happened with my coworker. Several fires in the area, one lightning, one human caused, thankfully far enough away. It takes NO time to blow up under these conditions.

We were in St. Louis when the fire broke out up here more than a week ago, and kinda freaked - mandatory evac less than a mile from our house. Stuff is stuff, but we have 10 animals to evac too.

When they found that couple in Black Forest, they were in the garage with car doors open and car packed. They had called a friend at 4:20PM, saw a glow over the hill and said they were leaving. Called again at 5:00PM, friend heard popping and cracking in the background. Last call made. :(

We are gonna practice an emergency load up and time everything. Come up with a list like Drew's with a decision tree, worst case seconds to get out, best case pre-evac.

I saw pics of evac'd horses with phone numbers painted on their side. Hadn't thought of that, good idea. Especially if you only have time to turn them loose on their own.

DaveInDenver
06-14-2013, 01:23 PM
there should be massive resources on standby, ready to execute an aggressive response in the first critical hours after the first reports.
Remember that the USFS alone manages 293 million acres and last year 9.1 million of those were burned in wildfires. We're talking about a dozen or more very large states and wildfires are not even limited to just the west, they happen all over the country. Resources are prioritized since it costs a ton just to have the plane sitting on the tarmac regardless if its used. So the ones they do have are run around the clock and they augment where they can. There is a practical limit to what we can afford to do and since most people don't live in high risk locations how much should we spend on equipment when one day responses might limit damage for 99.9999% of people? Should we spend as much as it takes to limit wildfires to zero structures lost? Do people who live in high risk places have to assume a disproportionate amount of the cost for such a level? I dunno, obviously it would be nice to have every rural and semi-urban forest fire department have access to a slurry bombers, but that is not gonna happen. As these fires encroach more and more on major towns, I mean the Springs has been <this> close to the town itself being overrun last year and now again, maybe the available equipment is inadequate. :-/

subzali
06-14-2013, 01:36 PM
A dilemma for land managers:
-Regular fires are good for thinning out forests and preventing overgrowth.
-People don't like fires.
-A history of subduing fires has caused excessive overgrowth to the extent that fires today burn hotter, faster, and are more destructive than historical fires.
-People live in forested and grassy plains areas where fire fighting resources are not readily available.

This fire is truly heartbreaking :(

SteveH
06-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Bill - sorry to hear about your friend's loss.

Putting a trailer near your house (if allowed/practical) and having a written list of what to take is a good minimum step. If you're already barred from entering your neighborhood, you're out of luck anyway, however. I have CDs and DVDs of photos at my office in a drawer - far away from my house.

We got the reverse 911 call on our cell phones a full day after the mandatory evac - about 1pm on Wed. I also got the email a day late. Those were useless.

Anyway - neighbors calling neighbors is the best way to get the word out. You could not see the fire from our house, although the fire was less than a mile away. We called a neighbor who had no idea there was a fire. Our whole neighborhood bailed out several hours in advance of the mandatory evac. notice. Oddly, my AAA homeowners agent called at 3pm Tues, less than 2 hrs. after the fire was spotted and asked if they could help.

Red_Chili
06-14-2013, 02:16 PM
I keep one eye on Pinecam.com at all times for just that reason. Folks monitor the scanners and post up immediately, in a separate forum, no chit-chat, just real and official info.

A dilemma for land managers:
-Regular fires are good for thinning out forests and preventing overgrowth.
-People don't like fires.
-A history of subduing fires has caused excessive overgrowth to the extent that fires today burn hotter, faster, and are more destructive than historical fires.
-People live in forested and grassy plains areas where fire fighting resources are not readily available.
-Changing climate is having a terrible and measurable impact, whether drought, flooding, warming, even cooling... former normals are no longer normal. While we may 'return to mean', if that mean is actually a slope, and it appears to be, the return to mean will be a new normal in flux. The costs will be extreme, and felt by everyone.

This fire is truly heartbreaking :(
Fixed it for ya.

brentbba
06-14-2013, 04:35 PM
From one fire riddled state to another, my heart goes out to all those affected by this massive fire. We've heard all the resource debate here in CA also and the costs of 'renting' the planes from Canada too. Stay safe.

Rezarf
06-14-2013, 05:59 PM
We got a little rain this afternoon, I hope some touched down in BF. I have 3 friends that have had total loss, add that to my 9 friends last year and that's a lot of folks having their world turned up side down. One couple who lost it all last summer moved to BF and is currently evac'd waiting to hear what list they are on... sad.

IMHO, the response this year was awesome, the gov' had a tier one team in place in 1 day! That's fast if you ask me. It's not faster than fire moving through treetops but it IS fast. I heard first reported call on Tuesday and the fire was already at 15 acres... in 30mph sustained winds and upper 90 degree temps.

The spokesman on the news talked about how they will win the war once the fire meets a road and or grass, they talked about how it is nearly impossible to stop it raging once it is in the canopy of trees.

God bless the firefighters... these folks are TOUGH!

Rezarf
06-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Looks like they are letting some folks back in. 400 homes lost. Things appear to be under control with some mopping up yet to do.

Keith
06-14-2013, 08:44 PM
While we are being political, at least one of our representatives seems to be paying attention to the need for more resources and actively trying to improve things:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/04/12/udall-concerned-about-resources-during-wildfire-season/

I follow Senator Udall on Twitter and he's been trying to get something done about this since way before last summer.

MDH33
06-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Is it just me or does it seem stupid, yeah stupid, that the minute they get a report of a fire like this that the don't immediately fire up a couple tankers etc to go try to douse the thing? If I understand it correctly the fire started Tuesday early afternoon but it wasn't until Wednesday late morning, almost noon, before they started air support. WTF?

Even with a fleet of tankers (which no govt, federal or state, can afford) they wouldn't be able to take off with the winds cranking the way they were the first day if this fire. There are procedural/safety things in play there.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Really windy in Denver tonight. hope not the same in CO Springs. Heard they had rain this later afternoon

SteveH
06-16-2013, 09:53 PM
We were let back home yesterday - zero damage, no smoke/water/freezer issues. The power had gone off for a few hours, I have determined. We have power now, but no natural gas. I borrowed a 15 gal. elec water heater today from a neighbor and plumbed it in where my washing machine hoses tap into the system. Works great, but not much capacity. This was my father's day gift to myself: a hot shower.

It was cool-ish today and we got .15" of rain (total) in two installments - I'm sure it rained over the burn area.

The gas company guy we met yesterday said they have to isolate all the gas legs with melted plastic gas pipe on them and then replumb around them to let us get gas. This could take a while. There's a huge fleet of Black Hills energy trucks parked in the Black Forest - perhaps 20 were parked and many were in the field. Those guys are working long shifts.
Steve

Squishy!
06-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Glad to hear y'all are doing so well. Too many can't say the same. :( thanks to all the firefighters who work hard to save so much. It must kill them each time a structure goes down. Anxious to hear from the rest of our Springs crew!

FJCDan
06-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Great to hear that Steve, sure could have been alot worse.

Man Jerk
06-17-2013, 10:32 AM
This will be my memory of the fire...

On Tuesday evening, my wife and kids drove to a park/playground which sits up high on the NW side of town overlooking black forest. The smoke plume was incredible and we were watching the helicopters and planes fly around. We would occasionally see a huge fire erupt. I am sure that these were houses. Every 5 minutes or so we would see another fire, and another, and another..

Truly heartbreaking.

Red_Chili
06-19-2013, 01:34 PM
We were let back home yesterday - zero damage, no smoke/water/freezer issues. The power had gone off for a few hours, I have determined. We have power now, but no natural gas. I borrowed a 15 gal. elec water heater today from a neighbor and plumbed it in where my washing machine hoses tap into the system. Works great, but not much capacity. This was my father's day gift to myself: a hot shower.

It was cool-ish today and we got .15" of rain (total) in two installments - I'm sure it rained over the burn area.

The gas company guy we met yesterday said they have to isolate all the gas legs with melted plastic gas pipe on them and then replumb around them to let us get gas. This could take a while. There's a huge fleet of Black Hills energy trucks parked in the Black Forest - perhaps 20 were parked and many were in the field. Those guys are working long shifts.
Steve
:thumb:

DaveInDenver
06-21-2013, 02:04 PM
How about the West Fork Fire down in SW Colorado.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/state-news/south-fork-evacuated-due-to-west-fire-complex-fire

It's at 30,000 acres (6/21/13), zero containment, the whole town of South Fork is evacuated. Fire made a 7 mile run in one day. This and the fire in South Platte are why it's so hazy in Denver now.

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/06/21/west-fork-complex-fire_1371820759216_432638_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/06/21/west-fork-fire-pike-hotshot_1371837294495_432841_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/06/19/WestForkComplexfire_1371696031560_432113_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/06/20/westforksmoke2_1371791857501_432615_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

wesintl
06-21-2013, 04:21 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1011689_647681818593530_977887200_n.jpg

DaveInDenver
06-21-2013, 04:22 PM
^ That's from Del Norte!

PabloCruise
06-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Holy sheep $h!t...

Lars
06-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Our family bought a cabing atthe confluence of little squaw creek and the rio grand in the 1920. (papoosa fire) still waiting to see iff it's there, As of saturday morning it was but no word since. The pine beatle kill down there was amazing. we knew it was only a matter of time.

How about the West Fork Fire down in SW Colorado.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/state-news/south-fork-evacuated-due-to-west-fire-complex-fire

It's at 30,000 acres (6/21/13), zero containment, the whole town of South Fork is evacuated. Fire made a 7 mile run in one day. This and the fire in South Platte are why it's so hazy in Denver now.

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/06/21/west-fork-complex-fire_1371820759216_432638_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/06/21/west-fork-fire-pike-hotshot_1371837294495_432841_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/06/19/WestForkComplexfire_1371696031560_432113_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2013/06/20/westforksmoke2_1371791857501_432615_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

brentbba
06-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Wow - mother nature's way of iradicating the pine bark beetle is pretty fierce!