PDA

View Full Version : Just got Apple TV

farnhamstj
06-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Nakman- you were right

freakin' awesome. Watching youtube of Annoying orange on 40" -Sweet!!

ElxlKO93zSU

Keith
06-14-2013, 09:31 PM
We've had one for years and haven't paid the cable company since. It's great!

OilHammer
06-14-2013, 10:48 PM
stock or modified?

farnhamstj
06-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Oem

Rezarf
06-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Yeah, we ditched cable two years ago and haven't looked back. Apple TV all the way.

spectre6000
06-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Please elaborate. My wife and I talked about it a while back and it didn't seem a viable replacement.

Corbet
06-19-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm tied to Direct TV as a Packer Fan. That or a $75 bar bill each week. But if not I'd be there with you guys.

Groucho
06-20-2013, 09:53 PM
AppleTV is a cool thing. I remember when I got my first AppleTV way back in '08...

:beer:!!

To elaborate. AppleTV is kind of like an iPod for videos. Streaming videos from many different sources. Netflix, sports channels, youtube hulu and vimeo just to name a few. All you really need is a computer with iTunes, a wireless network and internet access. Just to put it into my perspective. When I first considered AppleTV, I just thought "wow, now the wife and I don't have to get up to put the movies in the DVD player, and the library of all our movies is at our fingertips!". I was sold. Now you just need a friend with a hard drive and some time...

nakman
06-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Please elaborate. My wife and I talked about it a while back and it didn't seem a viable replacement.

We have a $40 digital antenna for local channels. Rarely watch it, but I do watch the Bronco games in the fall, and it's full HD. Our kids have a few shows they like, all of which are on demand through Netflix. We have one Netflix account that can be accessed from either of our phones, either of our ipads, our Apple TV, our Blueray player, and our Xbox. Even simultaneously, watching different things.. . for $10/month. What's interesting is that since it's more of an event to watch something, it almost never comes up- our TV upstairs is inside a closed armoir, and even our kids go weeks on end now without asking to watch something.

We also have a Hulu account for more current TV. I literally only care about one show- wife watches about 2-3, and we watch that almost exclusively on the ipad from bed. Usually on the bed, while we fold laundry.

Only downside is the Nuggets are on Altitude, so there's no basketball in our house. I used to like watching basketball, but it's sorta just lived without me for the last few years, don't really miss it. Once our kids are older and more independent, maybe I'll get back into professional sports again but for now it's almost not even on the radar.

Finally, we pay Pandora $4/month for no commercials, and run that in the house probably 4 hours/day- it's what we turn on when we get home, and it stays on until we go to bed. Again one account for multiple phones & devices even at the same time. Can't believe we used to pay $80 for tv..

DaveInDenver
06-21-2013, 06:49 AM
Yeah, we ditched pay TV years ago. The only thing I miss is CU football, but I just listen to it on the radio while doing other stuff. Or since we save several hundred dollars a year not paying for TV we will occasionally just get tickets and actually go to games.

Another option if you're not into Apple is the Roku. That is what we went with when we set up our streaming. We recently cut off Netflix but still have Amazon Prime. It also does Hulu, YouTube, etc. I have an application running on it that allows me to stream iTunes content to it as though it were an Apple TV.

OilHammer
06-21-2013, 09:55 AM
I've been on the fence with that for a long time. I only have cable for the internet, though I "think" I get some local channels with it. Doesn't matter, the resolution was so crappy, I use the $15 HDTV rabbit ears style antenna for local channels and it's fine.
For movies, I had Netflix that I would watch on the tv through a tether. Netflix started to irritate me (lost current episodes of AMC shows) so I dumped it.
We still have Amazon prime, but figured out they block streaming to a tethered ipad/iphone, which is shocking really. So...
A standard Apple TV will NOT stream Amazon prime. If you hack it, you can, but that's it. Research Apple TV 1 & 2, and you'll quickly find these older units sell for quite the premium because they can be hacked.
I really don't know much about Roku, but need to spend some time researching it before I throw down on an Apple TV2 that's only capable of 720P. I would suspect a hack for ATV 3 rev 1 is coming soon, but rev 2 was just released in March, and that sent all the hackers back to ground zero.

DaveInDenver
06-21-2013, 10:05 AM
We have the older Roku XD, which supports 1080p HD. It also supports subscription sports, MLB.TV for example, which streams all MLB games live for $100 a year. it does the NBA and NHL live streams. It does Vudu, Crackle (which is free movies), Disney, etc.

A lot the pay channels have Roku channels but most of the content is ancillary to the main channel, not the actual stuff. I think the next step will be for all the cable channels to start offering per-channel subscriptions on streaming, but until the contractual model changes with pay TV most of it will be locked up with cable and satellite. Their loss. It's not like people who ditch cable are going to go back just for The Walking Dead. But if AMC offered a $5 streaming option, maybe. Same with Discovery Channel, I'd consider adding that to our Roku for a few bucks a month. But I'm not gonna pay $50 a month to get 5 channels that I actual want.

It's like music, all the record labels screwed themselves with the Internet and streaming and now artists are finding avenues to bypass the bullplop and sell their records and downloads directly to fans. They end up getting more money from each sale since there is no A&R man, distribution overhead and the bloated label guys.

Jacket
06-21-2013, 04:23 PM
I with the others in this thread that get stuck on the few months a year where I want to watch a college football or basketball game. It's basically access to ESPN that keeps me buying cable. Lame. I'd be interested in hearing the options for that if anyone has figured it out. Or is that a different thread? :shrug:

DaveInDenver
06-21-2013, 04:25 PM
http://www.kauaisportsbarandgrill.com/wp-content/gallery/homepage/bar.jpg

Or mooch a friend not enlightened yet who still pays for TV. ;-)

Seriously, I do wish the Pac 12 Network was available streaming. Heck, even on normal days I wish they'd get with the times and offer a way to follow your teams via streaming. Since the Buffs usually stink they end up with one game on ESPN anyway.

Jacket
06-21-2013, 04:29 PM
^Before kids, yes. Now I have to pick my battles/passes.

Corbet
06-21-2013, 06:00 PM
^Before kids, yes. Now I have to pick my battles/passes.

Another good point. Last time I tried to get Bridger to sit on a bar stool through a game that failed miserably.

AxleIke
06-21-2013, 06:22 PM
So, what does this apple TV cost monthly? We ditched cable years ago, but have just had Netflix, nothing else. And, is it just a way to watch interwebs on your TV? As in, no different than hooking up a computer to the TV?

I'm intrigued.

frontrange
06-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Looked at AppleTV a while back, but without any live TV support, or access to the networks in general it was a total non-starter. I have been using MythTV for about 10 years and love it. I have a half dozen HDTV front ends everywhere from the master B/R, shop, gazebo, you name it. All my music and videos online and live TV using a tuner with a cable smart card. It's all open source and I've never seen a commercial product that compares feature-wise.

DaveInDenver
06-21-2013, 06:33 PM
So, what does this apple TV cost monthly? We ditched cable years ago, but have just had Netflix, nothing else. And, is it just a way to watch interwebs on your TV? As in, no different than hooking up a computer to the TV?

I'm intrigued.
Apple TV and Roku cost upfront for the box itself, not sure about Apple but figure about $75 or $100 for a current Roku. That is a one time expense for the hardware and it sits on your WiFi as another device.

The content varies. YouTube is free, just like the Interwebs. If you already have Netflix you can add streaming for I think about $7 per month then you get access to whatever they have available. That can be played on the box, your computer or iPad.

Other things vary. We have Amazon Prime, which is $79 per year and includes streaming of about 400 movies and TV, not super extensive but alright. Amazon Prime is nice because you get 2 day shipping for free for the whole year on most everything and they offer cheap shipping upgrade to overnight. In fact I bought a trailer hitch for our Taco from Amazon and they shipped that monster, all 42 lbs of it for $3.99 overnight FedEx. Seriously, it probably cost them more to ship it than we paid.

Other things, like I mentioned the MLB.TV, are a per month or per year purchase. Some of it is free, like Crackle, but every once in a while they stick in an ad or two. Hulu is free or you can pay for Hulu Plus for more extensive and current selections.

Beyond that Apple via iTunes and Amazon offer content you can buy or rent. Like a movie might be $1.99 or something like that. Same with TV, you might buy it by the episode or get a season subscription.

So, bottom line, once you've bought the box you can theoretically be done with the expense but your selection is limited. It's not impossible to do that, but you probably will end up paying something eventually. The nice thing is you can pick and choose a' la carte.

DaveInDenver
06-21-2013, 06:49 PM
I thought Myth TV was a TiVO replacement, e.g. a DVR. Does it give you access to content or do you still need to find that?

frontrange
06-21-2013, 06:56 PM
That's pretty much true, it will rip CDs and DVDs, but forget Hulu, Netflix, amazon. Since its open source, don't expect a collector module for MythTV to come out anytime soon. I've heard there's a way to grab content from those guys and add it to your MythTV library, but I don't know anything about that cause it isn't legal.

Hulk
06-22-2013, 12:21 AM
I disconnected my satellite TV 3 years ago. Saved about $85/mo. Since then I have:
a) Installed a very large old TV antenna in my attic and hooked it up to 2 TVs in my house. Cost: $0. Great HD picture.
b) Purchased an original Roku. Still works great. Bought it refurbed from Woot.
c) Purchased a Boxee Box. It will play files that the Roku won't, but it's a dead-end, discontinued product so I wouldn't recommend buying one if you can still find it.
d) Paying for Hulu Plus and Netflix. I think my total monthly cost is $16. I could probably kill the Hulu, but we use Netflix all the time.

DaveInDenver
06-22-2013, 06:57 AM
This is the application on the Roku that gives you access to your shared iTunes library. I have all our media sitting on a NAS, which in our case is a QNAP that has an iTunes server built into the firmware.

http://roksbox.com/home/

OilHammer
06-23-2013, 10:28 PM
a) Installed a very large old TV antenna in my attic and hooked it up to 2 TVs in my house. Cost: $0. Great HD picture.

I'm still surprised how many people don't know this. They assume you need basic cable to get local stations. Basic cable is 720 and grainy at that. The good ol' antenna in the attic gives great 1080 picture and digital sound. If you have an optical out from your TV, you can run that right into your surround amp. Yeah, AMC isn't on off-air, but all the local sports stations are. I was still watching broncos games last season, but obviously I don't get ALL the sports stuff that way.

Yeah, I'm Scottish-Irish...cheap bastid with plenty o :beer::beer::beer:

baja1d
06-23-2013, 10:43 PM
If you strip the end off a coax cable & stick the bare wire into the side of a soda can you'll have an HD antenna. Getto I know but at least you'll know how many free channels you get before purchasing an HD antenna. Saw it on YouTube, then built one... It does work

Jenny Cruiser
06-24-2013, 03:07 PM
This sounds good. I like to watch UK shows, but lately most all the sites I watch them on have been taken down. I assume you still have to have an ISP or is there some way around that?

Hulk
06-24-2013, 08:23 PM
I like to watch UK shows, but lately most all the sites I watch them on have been taken down. I assume you still have to have an ISP or is there some way around that?

The legal ways to watch your favorite UK shows:

Are the shows on Netflix?
Hulu?
Can you buy/rent whole seasons on the iTunes store?
Can you download them from Amazon?

If none of these apply, you may be OOL unless you want to venture into bittorrent land.

DaveInDenver
06-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Amazon has the UK Top Gear, the current season you have to buy but the first 18 are included with Prime.