PDA

View Full Version : Slaughterhouse Gulch in a stock truck

Toyoland66
06-19-2013, 09:02 PM
I just got a new 2013 Tacoma trd with the rear locker and am trying to put together a wheeling trip for myself and some friends. It has been over 10 years since I have ran Slaughterhouse Gulch and when I did it was in my 40.

Can I do this trail without body damage in a non lifted non armored truck? If not what are some other good areas to consider that are close to Denver?

One of the vehicles we will be going with is heavily modified so I am looking for a moderate trail with good bypass that also has some challenging sections, this is what had me considering slaughterhouse gulch.

We are probably going on Sunday the 30th if anybody else is interested.

jps8460
06-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Lefthand ohv park is nice. It's purpose built for all levels of wheeling. However, it can get buisy on weekends.

Fishy
06-19-2013, 10:34 PM
The only real obstacle on Slaughterhouse is the whoops in the woods after the big hill. It is easily bypassed on the right hand side. Your buddy in the modified rig will want to stay to the left.

We rescued a stock LX470 that broke a R&P in the front diff from the trail last month. He was able to make it out in 2wd. You'll have no trouble. Kingston Peak is very doable in a stock vehicle too. It should be open soon and is far more scenic than Slaughterhouse.

Shotshell
06-20-2013, 12:10 AM
You can also try out Argentine Pass. The upper road if fairly easy. The lower road has two pretty good water crossings as well as a stretch were you're actually driving in the river bed.
But the upper road will get you were you want to go. And it's a nice view.
It's just up out of Georgetown off the Guanella Pass Road.

rover67
06-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Totally go grab one of these books from your local small bookstore (most have them) for the summer:

http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Colorado-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Guidebooks/dp/1934838055/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

There is one for north of I-70 and one for south of I-70

They are a must have and the ratings are great. He does a great job of describing difficulty and duration of trails. I carry both with me all summer long everywhere.

Toyoland66
06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys, we are gonna plan on slaughterhouse gulch on Sunday the 30th. Planning on meeting in conifer probably around 9, if anybody is interested I will post more details as we get closer.