PDA

View Full Version : How to pick a 100 series... or an 80?

Rezarf
06-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Hi friends, I am officially stepping into the deep end and in the early stages of looking for a 100 or an 80... this is my first decision to make.

I am blown away by the prices of the high mileage 100's but I have a gut feeling it is a better fit for my family. We have 5 now, and we hope to pull a pop up. This rig will most likely become my do-all daily driver weekend warrior road trip machine... so I am thinking of a 100 or supercharged 80. I have a wild hair to track down a decent 55 and do a powertrain swap, but that's much more dreaming than reality.

Budget will be about $15,000 +/- a few grand and hope I can buy one already mildly built up, or build it up over the next few years as funds allow.

I can buy a mildly built 80 with the $$$ to bolt up a blower for about the price of a low mileage stockish 100... at least my initial numbers and research seem to show this. It seems that mildly built 80's are hovering around $5-10k and stock 100's are closer to $10-20k.

What say you? 100 or 80 and why?

treerootCO
06-24-2013, 02:21 PM
105 series... problem solved

coax
06-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Personally I can't even fathom driving an 80 with a trailer around the mountains here. Let alone loaded with a bunch of people, camping gear, and bumpers/armor/winch/etc. How much does mileage suffer due to the inherent nature of the supercharger (and not the lead foot)? My buddies similarly setup 100 series (33's, bumper, etc) goes much faster and gets better mileage than my NA 80.

You could also go early model 100 series for not quite as much money. FWIW, I think a 100 series would be the way to go for a DD and towing things.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3875586036.html

subzali
06-24-2013, 03:16 PM
80s are getting old. There's no denying it. Slee has good newb info for both on his site

timmbuck2
06-24-2013, 03:58 PM
had the same decision to make...found a good lower mile 100 and I am very very happy...and I drove an 80 for years.

wesintl
06-24-2013, 04:38 PM
I have a gut feeling it is a better fit for my family. We have 5 now, and we hope to pull a pop up

This is like saying I like chocolate. I have a choice between a fun size candy bar and a full size candy bar. the fun size has peanuts and caramel but is that better than a full size chocolate bar? not if you like chocolate..

your results may vary

:cheers:

timmbuck2
06-24-2013, 04:50 PM
thanks.....now I am hungry for chocolate......

This is like saying I like chocolate. I have a choice between a fun size candy bar and a full size candy bar. the fun size has peanuts and caramel but is that better than a full size chocolate bar? not if you like chocolate..

your results may vary

:cheers:

MTSN
06-24-2013, 05:28 PM
I know that at first blush 100 prices seem exorbitant, but there are deals out there. I almost bought a second 100 that was up in Vail - 1999 with locker and 150k on it for $8k over the winter. The girl was moving to Canada and wanted to get rid of it quick, but she ended up giving it to a family member or something rather. I have seen a few in the last several months for sub $10k with decent miles (150k or less).

Corbet
06-24-2013, 05:41 PM
For towing a 100. I get by with my 80 and the camper but its not fast. That said personally I like the ride of an 80 better. Its more truck like which is what I prefer. I like the seats better too.

You could consider a 1st gen Sequoia too. Not as nice on the trail but for everything else good. And cheaper to buy. Most Tundra stuff will fit.

wesintl
06-24-2013, 06:37 PM
He has/had sequoia

100 is 20x the truck of an 80

MDH33
06-24-2013, 06:43 PM
...I have a wild hair to track down a decent 55 and do a powertrain swap,

Budget will be about $15,000 +/- a few grand...

Yup. There you have it. Old Iron. :cool:

Fishy
06-24-2013, 07:04 PM
He has/had sequoia

100 is 20x the truck of an 80

I thought the chocolate comment was awesome..... Then I found my new signature. You're like Confucius..... only taller.

Hulk
06-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Family of 5 will fit in a 100 better than an 80, esp. if there are child seats involved. This may be your deciding factor.

I love my 80 but it is no longer my daily driver, so I don't have to worry about MPG or road manners. If I did, I might be driving a 100 series myself or a recent vintage 4Runner.

Fishy
06-24-2013, 08:11 PM
^^I can add to this as well. I came from a 4th Gen 4Runner, not an 80, but the number of options for seating is great. I still have 3 kids in boosters. When they were in car seats, I could fit all 3 car seats side by side in the second row. The third row is kind of "kid only" because the seats are very low to the floor.

We have a minivan for full time kid duty, but we use the 100 for all things outdoors. On a day to day basis I keep the 3rd row and 1 of the second row seats removed. When I camp by myself, I completely remove the second row (takes less than 5 mins) and use the back for sleeping. I built a platform that bolts to the seat anchors and allows me to close everything and sleep fully stretched out inside.

Jenny Cruiser
06-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Your wife would definitely be happier with a nice and uber rare white 100 with a camel interior. :) There are a some good deals floating around if you're patient. Right now to the end of July is a great time to find a nice one you like and haggle your way into your price range. You should be able to get an 03/04 that's in your budget.

farnhamstj
06-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Newer is better for families and towing pop-up's over mountain passes. Plan on adding ARB front locker to any 100 you buy. (read $2000)

If you're after a trail rig on 35's then you a harder decision.

Telly
06-25-2013, 10:33 AM
I owned a S/C 1997 80 Series for 4 years that my wife drove as a DD. Loved the truck but the ride wasn't the best and the milage sucked (had to run 91 octane too!). Decided to sell and buy her a Honda. Since then, I changed jobs and lost my company car. As a replacement, I picked up a 03 100 and the power, ride, options are NICE. I'm getting a consistent 16.5-17.5 mpg. The 80 is an iconic vehicle but I'll never go back now that I own a 100.
Doug

cbmontgo
06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
I own both; the 80 is more Land Cruiser "legit" but is sluggish in the mountains compared to the 100. The 100 is far more comfortable to drive but seems less "cool" to me.

I love them both for different reasons.

Jenny Cruiser
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
It's not white, but it may be worth checking out.

http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/3883195991.html

Caribou Sandstorm
06-27-2013, 09:42 AM
I think it depends on what type of off road adventure you see yourself doing or wanting to do and what you will do with the vehicle the other 80% of the time.

Jacket's 80 and Kipper's 80 are drool machine's for me, I think they look super cool and really give them a lot of options for varied adventures.

They both have kids to haul about, as well.

The 100 is super plush and works for the kind of wheeling I have gravitated to which is more mild these days. If only we could get the 100 in a solid front axel.

It might also boil down to what you see yourself in and what inspires you. I always think that has a lot to do with my choices.

Hope this is helpful, good luck with the hunt, don't forget it could be worth the trip out of state for the right vehicle. You can't go wrong with going West for a vehicle that has been well maintained, it is like a time warp out there.

AxleIke
06-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Just my opinion, but the 100 is much more in line with what you've talked about wanting out of a truck Drew. With a rear locker, it is very capable, yet a great ride that is easy for small kids and Stacy to get in and out of. Combine that with the power upgrade, and the comfy ride, and I think you have your answer. The 80 is better for really wheeling the hard stuff, but you seem much more interested in the scenic roads, and getting places to camp, which is a great thing. I think the 100 is it.

nakman
06-27-2013, 09:57 AM
My opinion is 80's are better for dirt performance. 100's are better for paved performance. Dirt performance is 4x more important than paved performance, so I weight that ratio accordingly meaning if you're 80/20 paved/dirt then you are right on the fence (80*1 = 20*4). If you're realistic and know it's more like 90/10, then the argument is no brainer 100 series (90*1 > 10*4).

Adjust the "dirt weight variable" and paved/dirt ratio to your liking, and viola there's your next truck. :)

LARGEONE
06-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Leave it to Nak to make choosing b/w an 80 and 100 a mathematical equation :)

Do you still have the 40? If so, go with the 100 series. If not, go with the 100 series!

Jacket
06-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Amazing how things change so quickly. It wasn't that long ago that the 80 was a cushy mall wagon despised by the 40 purists. Now the 80 is nothing more than a heavy trail truck and the 100 is what everyone with a car seat needs.

subzali
06-27-2013, 10:10 PM
I still think there's a lot of folks that need to apologize to schotts :bolt:

Rezarf
06-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. The 100's are growing on me but man they seem to lack soul. I may add a hitch to the Sienna and call it done ;)

I've been dreaming of chopping my 40 into a 45 extended cab and moving my trailer to the bed... but that's another thread.

I think I am down to a 100 and a Sequoia, dang I LOVED that ride... it's the Yota limo, however, the 100's are supported better by the aftermarket for wheeling.

I am gonna' get out there and drive a few.

Concerning the 100's anything in particular to look for when picking one out?

AxleIke
06-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Yeah. Its gotta be white.

Uncle Ben
06-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far. The 100's are growing on me but man they seem to lack soul. I may add a hitch to the Sienna and call it done ;)

Concerning the 100's anything in particular to look for when picking one out?

When looking at 100's I would stay away from any with IFS or the 4.7. The others should be fine!

AxleIke
06-28-2013, 11:09 AM
True, you are going to need that 15k to get this thing set up at Slee....Boy, you are in a pickle! :lmao:

AxleIke
06-28-2013, 11:17 AM
My opinion is 80's are better for dirt performance. 100's are better for paved performance. Dirt performance is 4x more important than paved performance, so I weight that ratio accordingly meaning if you're 80/20 paved/dirt then you are right on the fence (80*1 = 20*4). If you're realistic and know it's more like 90/10, then the argument is no brainer 100 series (90*1 > 10*4).

Adjust the "dirt weight variable" and paved/dirt ratio to your liking, and viola there's your next truck. :)

See, I'd not really say that's the case, personally. Knowing Drew, he's into a scenic drive without a lot of stress. The IFS on the 100 is going to ride a ton better, and handle better, than the 80 can on fast dirt, and you gotta get the thing up some pretty serious stuff before the suspension and drivetrain of the 80 is going to be so much better to make up for the pavement compromises.

And, I seriously doubt very many of us here who DD our rigs EVER see an 90/10 split. To be generous, you have to count days where you wheel at all, and not miles. You'd have to spend 36 days on the trail in a year, which most of us sadly cannot do (though I wish). I think most of us are at best 98/2, or maybe 95/5. (6-18 days of good wheeling a year).

By mileage, it would be a minuscule amount. I drive 20k miles a year in my truck. I'd have to put in 2000 dirt miles to hit a 90/10 split.

Just sayin.... :lmao:

wesintl
06-28-2013, 12:08 PM
When looking at 100's I would stay away from any with IFS or the 4.7. The others should be fine!

True... Likewise, if you're looking at 80's stay away from the ones with the mini truck front diff's and the bus transmissions :eek:

Caribou Sandstorm
06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Drew,

Prices are coming down, so I would suggest looking at an '03 and up to what you can afford if you end up looking at a 100.

Having driven the Atrac with and without a rear locker, I would choose a newer year with a 5 speed ('03 first year of 5 speed), that way when you add a locker you have the best of both worlds. You are never going to be able to add Atrac, as far as I know. 98-99 came with a rear locker but 4 speed. I have an 01 with Atrac no locker yet. 00 has the tranny issue at about 100-120K miles, so if you find one with more miles, maybe it is ok.

Front Diffs are weaker on the 98-99s so you gotta fix that soon. Not much better but a little stronger in the 00-newer.

Headers crack, so you will need to replace that on just about any year you buy but the DT headers are in my opinion, one of the best mods, more power.

You can add Soul when you get one..:)

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Blue-Notch-and-Cruise-Moab/i-Cgb9zwr/0/L/DSCF7269-L.jpg

nakman
06-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Agreed Isaac, and you're spot on about likely not finding the limits of IFS on a normal mountain pass. But approach, departure, and break-over angles are all worse on a 100 series compared to an 80. So plan on dragging a lot Drew, if you get into some bigger stuff.

CardinalFJ60
06-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Agreed Isaac, and you're spot on about likely not finding the limits of IFS on a normal mountain pass. But approach, departure, and break-over angles are all worse on a 100 series compared to an 80. So plan on dragging a lot Drew, if you get into some bigger stuff.

Or...drag a 60 across Moab a couple times and the 100 will feel like your 40. ;):D:lmao:

AxleIke
06-29-2013, 09:53 AM
LOL!

On the point about soul, I hear people throw that around a lot, and I agree. Old cars have soul. What that means is, you have to spend a lot of time fixing them, manhadling them, and repairing the bits that rust away. Soul is well and good, but its also a major headache most of the time.

I love old cars and trucks, but they are good for a hobby, or toy. If you need something that requires little work, and runs all the time when you need it to, soul isn't a good thing to have.

AxleIke
06-29-2013, 09:59 AM

Yeah, good call. I would buy an 80 myself, but I doubt I'll be taking my family wheeling, so I'd be looking for a more aggressive build up because I wouldn't have to worry about anyone else. If Drew is going for a truck for family outings, I think they will enjoy the 100 more. But maybe not.

Rezarf
06-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Drew,

Prices are coming down, so I would suggest looking at an '03 and up to what you can afford if you end up looking at a 100.

Having driven the Atrac with and without a rear locker, I would choose a newer year with a 5 speed ('03 first year of 5 speed), that way when you add a locker you have the best of both worlds. You are never going to be able to add Atrac, as far as I know. 98-99 came with a rear locker but 4 speed. I have an 01 with Atrac no locker yet. 00 has the tranny issue at about 100-120K miles, so if you find one with more miles, maybe it is ok.

Front Diffs are weaker on the 98-99s so you gotta fix that soon. Not much better but a little stronger in the 00-newer.

Headers crack, so you will need to replace that on just about any year you buy but the DT headers are in my opinion, one of the best mods, more power.

You can add Soul when you get one..:)

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Blue-Notch-and-Cruise-Moab/i-Cgb9zwr/0/L/DSCF7269-L.jpg

I just read every page of Gary's X2 build over on mud. Darn shame the thing got smacked on its first day out. A build like that would be just awesome, but I don't have time for it now with the little ones.

Chris- Thanks, that's the real world info I am actually looking for in this thread, the rest of the peanut gallery just wants to spend my money and poke fun that I don't wheel anymore ;) :thumb:

And who said I wanted white!? I'd love most anything over white or green. I am still thinking of a SAS onto a black Sequoia with 40s... should tow a pop up fine ;)

AxleIke
06-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Hey now,

No one is poking fun at you that you don't wheel, because you do. But you have said to me multiple times that you prefer a scenic, unstressful road to a hardcore rock crawl type trail. As I recall, that was the whole reason you built the trailer was to be able to go up the 4wd roads you like doing and then could camp out.

Honestly wasn't meant as mean. It was simply advice based on what you've described to us on several occasions about the type of trips you want to do (vehicle and trailer based trails that would not screw up your truck or leave you broken in the hills.)

Sorry about the clutter.

Rezarf
06-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Hey now,

No one is poking fun at you that you don't wheel, because you do. But you have said to me multiple times that you prefer a scenic, unstressful road to a hardcore rock crawl type trail. As I recall, that was the whole reason you built the trailer was to be able to go up the 4wd roads you like doing and then could camp out.

Honestly wasn't meant as mean. It was simply advice based on what you've described to us on several occasions about the type of trips you want to do (vehicle and trailer based trails that would not screw up your truck or leave you broken in the hills.)

Sorry about the clutter.

I'm just busting your chops in good fun bud. You know me here better than anybody... you know what I am after. You complete me ;)

It's really true, I think I want a rock stock 100 series... on 40's. I just love the look and the once every 2 years that I need some lift and tires. I am doomed to aesthetics forever, I think.

I am interested in what makes certain 100's "better" to consider and with what options than others. I know a few things to look for with the 80's, but the 100's are still a little new and uncharted waters for me.

wesintl
06-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Seriously if a popup is in the future a 100 tows 100x better than an 80. I couldn't take towing our popup anymore after coming back from yellowstone last year in the 80 on I80. The 80 just can't maintain speed towing. Couple that with going 35 in the hills here it's just a pita. The 100 is roomier and way more comfortable than the 80 for long treks. An 80 would be sweet with a 4.7. you can find a 80 super charged or try to find a super charger but it's not that easy as they are older, have to put it on a higher milage motor, run high octane, rebuild it, etc. You can do just about every pass with a mild lift and it's really a no brainer the 100 is a better choice if that's your criteria.

Fishy
06-30-2013, 09:53 AM
As far as what makes one better than the other, I'll kick in my thoughts. For me, a 2001 and newer was the first breakdown. 01' and newer has the LATCH system for car seats, and that was important to me. Then came the 5spd over the 4spd, so that took me into the 03'-07' range. Then, price, mileage and anything that wasn't white.

If I could have found one without NAV, I probably would have went that route, but they're hard to find. The NAV MFD is also connected to the HVAC controls and if it ever takes a dump, it's an expensive fix. In due time, someone will come up with a retrofit kit (there are a few working on it). However, I wouldn't let that deter me from an 03'-07' because of the other things I wanted.

Originally, I bought this to camp with the kids and go fishing. My mod list was pretty small. Now, I'm so far down the wormhole that it's almost not even like driving a 100 anymore. It's not the smooth 15mpg cushy wagon that it used to be.

I have no issues going up and down I-70 with the 5spd trans, even on 35's. If I was towing something heavy, then maybe I'd regear. I notice the shift points are slightly off, but it's not stopping me from keeping up. My fuel mileage is in the 11-13 range. If I travel 2 or 3 days all offroad, I get 6-9mpgs.

ATRAC has taken me everywhere I wanted to go. I've followed fully locked 100's with no issues. Surely there is going to be something that I can't get over that someone in a locked 100 can. But, I'm pretty happy with where I've taken it so far.

You're more than welcome to take it up and down the road. It'd be even better if someone with a stock or semi-stock one would let you do the same. Good comparison.

Corbet
06-30-2013, 06:11 PM
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/112907-1998-100-series-Land-Cruiser-Locked-and-Lifted

OilHammer
06-30-2013, 10:24 PM
100 or 80? That's not too far from asking 40 or FJ cruiser.
I had a sweet 80, and now I have a low mile 100. It's crazy how many more things the 100's have in stock form. Others have also mentioned, 80's are just getting old. Finding a really good one is becoming difficult and expensive.
Me, I like the 100 better, though I haven't modified yet, so I can't speak to the trail ability first hand just yet, only that others have followed my 40.

Here's a list of pro comparisons from my perspective:

100- (03 & up)
More legroom if you are 6' or taller.
Factory heated seats (hey, don't knock it!)
Power vent windows. Sounds crazy, but just plain convenient.
Ability to actually accelerate into traffic.
Climbs mtns with ease.
Tows trailers with "ease".
Rear a/c for passengers
More legroom for passengers
Headlights are better
All windows power up/down with one touch.
Better gas mileage
Smoother ride
Quiet
Way better brakes
Skid control
Side airbags
Child seat anchors
Rear power outlet
Multiple front power outlets
Heated mirrors
"Auto" start
Jump seats are a better design
Roof rack mounts don't rust out*
Keyless entry that works from more than 4' away
Engine runs cooler
I'm probably forgetting something.....

80 series ( 97 for me)
Factory diff locks (those were sweet)
Full floater (never heard of a 100 axle failing, but many would claim a FF is stronger)
No factory NAV to deal with
I think the seats were better fitting, though I had less leg room)
Solid front axle is serious beef
Easily lifted (mild lift)
Better air filter
Dual battery potential is easier
Slider windows offer a larger opening
Narrower for tighter trails

And that's pretty much where it ends. Honestly, there is some weight given to that front axle and diff locks, but that's about it. Everything else really is newer and better functioning. Normally, I would say time will tell, but there are now 100's with 400k miles, so they've proven themselves. You can add all or most of the standard features from the 100 to the 80, but you'll spend a fortune and an eternity doing it. So, outside of the width, and solid axle, of the three real 80 series strengths, the 100 is only a compromise on 2. All the other positives far outweigh those two unless you are truly going gonzo family wheeling rig.
That said, I miss my 80 series, but only because I'm a hoarder. :)

coax
07-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Here's a couple more to add to the list above:

-No caster issues to address when lifting a 100. Just diff drop and done.
-Space for an easily added second factory battery tray on the 80.
-Putting dings, scrapes, and desert pin striping on an older vehicle (80) is easier on the brain.
-Rain gutters on the 80.
-Tires could be slightly more expensive on the 100 if you have the 18" rims.

wesintl
07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
I got 13.9 MG fully loaded with family and 2 dogs towing our popup from eagle to the Ranch. 14 mpg is pretty decent for an awd suv towing. I never got anywhere close to that with the 80. There were times in wyoming with a head wind i got 6.

I also was able to stay above 60, mostly going 65 on both vail pass and the tunnel unless there was traffic. Can't do that in an 80.

Hulk
07-08-2013, 04:15 PM
I also was able to stay above 60, mostly going 65 on both vail pass and the tunnel unless there was traffic. Can't do that in an 80.

Unless you add a supercharger.