PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Summer passes

Caribou Sandstorm
06-27-2013, 10:24 AM
I wondered when Red Cone was going to open and Wes shared a website with me that has most if not all Colorado passes listed, I think.

http://www.Bushducks.com

Looks like the Mile Hi Jeep Club is going to clear Rec Cone this weekend for a July 1 opening. I always enjoy doing this pass in the summer.

I was also thinking of doing some different ones locally to Denver during the July 4th break.

Does anyone have recommendations or favorites that may or may not be open yet that I can consider this summer?

J Kimmel
06-27-2013, 11:02 AM
mosquito
taylor
tincup
pearl
italian creek

all favorites :)

subzali
06-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Still haven't done Williams Pass, but hope to this August :)

Also need to do Hayden Pass sometime.

Hancock and Tomichi are always fun.

Black Bear, Engineer, Cinnamon and Imogene are classics.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-27-2013, 03:24 PM
What about Hagerman?

Jacket
06-27-2013, 06:07 PM
It's pretty boring from a driving perspective (Subaru grade), but the views to the east from the top are pretty great, and then you can cruise along the Fryingpan for 20 miles and enjoy the river.

The ones Kimmel suggested are tops on my list, but it takes more time and energy to get to them.

I like Weston as another easy but scenic pass close by. The west side has great views of Elbert and Massive, and it's fun to let your passenger bomb down on a mountain bike.

pramjockey
06-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Ptarmigan looped with McCalister Gulch:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=109
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=108

Love this set of trails. Beautiful view of Mt. Holy Cross, great trip up a river bed. Overall, a lot of fun.

Will be doing this one in the next couple of weeks.

J Kimmel
06-27-2013, 06:29 PM
I like Hagerman a lot, been over it a bunch of times. Some great fishing at Ivanhoe Lake and Rambo I is just around the corner (that's the campsite that just like the movie, no matter how many times you've been there its still awesome)

Its not always about the difficulty :)

Beachboy
06-27-2013, 09:27 PM
A nice loop that I like is Webster Pass then over Georgia Pass. But since I lived in Breckenridge for years, I enjoyed everything aound Montezuma, Santa Fe Peak trail, Deer Creek trail, Radical Hil, Saint John and Glacier Mountain, Middle Fork and North Fork of the Swan ( great steep section), Glacier Peak trail (S.O.B. hill). Plus there is alot of history on the trails.

Crash
06-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Really glad that I was able to drive French Pass for a few years until it was closed by the USFS in 1976, maybe 1977. It was the first trail I ever saw gated off and a precursor of things to come. The 2007 Gazetteer doesn't even show it as a trail anymore. Screw up the trail by not staying on it and it will be closed. :( Eccles Pass is still shown in the same Gazetteer, although not named, but it was legal before Eagles Nest Wilderness Area came into being in 1978. Visual images of it, and the friends and the trucks they were driving when we were on it, are still strong in my memory. In a sense, it's good to be old as these trails were, and are, wildly beautiful and stock size tires were enough to do them - in a Cruiser. Not an FJ, but a Cruiser.

EDIT: I just googled eccles pass and the second thing listed on the first website you are directed to was, wait for it, T-SHIRTS!!! (big sigh) I'm going to post a picture of what Breckenridge looked like when I first got there in 1973 and you won't recognize it. To quote Fred Sanford: "Elizabeth....Elizabeth...I'm coming to join ya"

J Kimmel
06-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Steve if you have old photos like that please please please post them!

farnhamstj
06-28-2013, 09:52 AM
I guess it's more of a ticket than a pass. But http://www.waterworldcolorado.com/ is one of my fav's in the summer. I really enjoy the people watching, poorly executed tattoo's, and women with no business wearing bikini's, all sunburnt toward the end of the day.

On a more serious note. Did Wearyman's, Ptarmagin, McCalister a couple days ago. Really pretty.
Columbine are going off right now.

Kimmel, you got me dreaming of Taylor park.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
I guess it's more of a ticket than a pass. But http://www.waterworldcolorado.com/ is one of my fav's in the summer. I really enjoy the people watching, poorly executed tattoo's, and women with no business wearing bikini's, all sunburnt toward the end of the day.

On a more serious note. Did Wearyman's, Ptarmagin, McCalister a couple days ago. Really pretty.
Columbine are going off right now.

Kimmel, you got me dreaming of Taylor park.

LOL, ok we need a Rising Sun gang day at WW... Hey funny you mentioned Ptarmagin, Mccallister cause after PramJockey's post I was checking that out as a potential and wondering if you would show me around that area. Any interest in running that again maybe Friday the 5th or Sat the 6th?

Caribou Sandstorm
06-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Really glad that I was able to drive French Pass for a few years until it was closed by the USFS in 1976, maybe 1977. It was the first trail I ever saw gated off and a precursor of things to come. The 2007 Gazetteer doesn't even show it as a trail anymore. Screw up the trail by not staying on it and it will be closed. :( Eccles Pass is still shown in the same Gazetteer, although not named, but it was legal before Eagles Nest Wilderness Area came into being in 1978. Visual images of it, and the friends and the trucks they were driving when we were on it, are still strong in my memory. In a sense, it's good to be old as these trails were, and are, wildly beautiful and stock size tires were enough to do them - in a Cruiser. Not an FJ, but a Cruiser.

EDIT: I just googled eccles pass and the second thing listed on the first website you are directed to was, wait for it, T-SHIRTS!!! (big sigh) I'm going to post a picture of what Breckenridge looked like when I first got there in 1973 and you won't recognize it. To quote Fred Sanford: "Elizabeth....Elizabeth...I'm coming to join ya"

Any chance you would be willing to show me around this area sometime, guessing you have some favorite roads/passes that are still open up there.

Crash
06-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Any chance you would be willing to show me around this area sometime, guessing you have some favorite roads/passes that are still open up there.

Chris, I'd be real surprised if you haven't already done most of what is still open in the Summit Co area. Even Peru Creek is now gated off, isn't it? I hope that isn't the case as it is really fun to get to the westside base of Argentine Pass and marvel at what those crazy-ass miners did to make a trail. The Gazetteer shows the North Fork of the Swan River trail stopping at Rexford where it used to go all the way to the bottom of the cliff that FR 5 runs along the top of. Don't throw away old maps!! I have quad maps from the '60s and '70s that show ten times the number of trails newer maps show.
For you dirt bike riders, an old favorite trail of mine is a section of Wheeler Trail between Copper Mtn and Breckenridge that runs between Peaks 8 and 9. Wheeler Trail was a cattle trail between North Park and South Park way back when.The Gazetteer shows this section as a pack trail but it used to be a great bike trail too. Awesome single track that made me wonder how cattle ever made the trip as it was really skinny in places with no way to go but down if you made a misstep.

DaveInDenver
06-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Dunno why the Gazetter wouldn't have it, but French Pass shows up on Trails Illustrated. It's cataloged as USFS trail #651 and open to non-motorized traffic. Just rode up there last summer.

OilHammer
06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
My favorite summer pass is the "Hall Pass".

rover67
06-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Chris, I'd be real surprised if you haven't already done most of what is still open in the Summit Co area. Even Peru Creek is now gated off, isn't it? I hope that isn't the case as it is really fun to get to the westside base of Argentine Pass and marvel at what those crazy-ass miners did to make a trail. The Gazetteer shows the North Fork of the Swan River trail stopping at Rexford where it used to go all the way to the bottom of the cliff that FR 5 runs along the top of. Don't throw away old maps!! I have quad maps from the '60s and '70s that show ten times the number of trails newer maps show.
For you dirt bike riders, an old favorite trail of mine is a section of Wheeler Trail between Copper Mtn and Breckenridge that runs between Peaks 8 and 9. Wheeler Trail was a cattle trail between North Park and South Park way back when.The Gazetteer shows this section as a pack trail but it used to be a great bike trail too. Awesome single track that made me wonder how cattle ever made the trip as it was really skinny in places with no way to go but down if you made a misstep.

Wheeler pass is non motorized now. The loop up to it along with the descent back down the Colorado trail on the east side of the 10 mile range is some of my favorite single track on a MTB.

I wish I was allowed to do it on my Dirt Bike.... my mom who can't hike/MTB up there could ride it and see it. It is such a neat route..

pramjockey
06-29-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm thinking of heading up and doing Ptarmigan/McAllister on July 6 if anyone's interested.

Crash
10-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Been awhile but I finally found the pic of what Breckenridge looked like when I first arrived there in '72. No t-shirt shops and only one stop light in the entire county. Pic was taken from the old county court house.

nattybumppo
10-22-2013, 06:43 PM
That's a great pic Steve!

Crash
10-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Kind of hard to imagine that is the intersection of Main St. and Ski hill Rd.

bh4rnnr
10-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Been awhile but I finally found the pic of what Breckenridge looked like when I first arrived there in '72. No t-shirt shops and only one stop light in the entire county. Pic was taken from the old county court house.

Awesome Steve!

Jacket
10-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Too bad you didn't buy a lot on Main Street back then Steve. Very cool picture.