PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 clutch question(s)

cbmontgo
07-05-2013, 09:33 AM
My project 1979 FJ40 has a new Centerforce clutch...so, I refilled the clutch reservoir and bled out air from the line, but the clutch doesn't do anything when depressed. Also, I can start the engine with the truck in gear and it doesn't "lunge" forward like it should with the clutch out...almost like the clutch is engaged all the time.

Any ideas? Internal clutch workings are unknown to me.

RicardoJM
07-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Yes, it does sound like the throwout bearing is depressing the fingers enough that it is not allowing the pressure plate to mate the clutch disk to the flywheel. Pull off your inspection cover (you may have to remove skid plate and front driveshaft) and take a look at it. With the clutch disengaged, you should see the clutch fork return spring pulls the fork and throughout bearing away from the fingers so that there is a gap (about 1/8") between the TO bearing and the fingers.

It does seem odd that with the truck in gear, you are able to start the engine and it does not cause the truck to move. Did everything work before you refilled the clutch reservoir?

cbmontgo
07-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes, it does sound like the throwout bearing is depressing the fingers enough that it is not allowing the pressure plate to mate the clutch disk to the flywheel. Pull off your inspection cover (you may have to remove skid plate and front driveshaft) and take a look at it. With the clutch disengaged, you should see the clutch fork return spring pulls the fork and throughout bearing away from the fingers so that there is a gap (about 1/8") between the TO bearing and the fingers.

It does seem odd that with the truck in gear, you are able to start the engine and it does not cause the truck to move. Did everything work before you refilled the clutch reservoir?

Thanks, Ricardo. I bought the truck as-is, so I don't know how well it was all put together. Supposedly he had a brand new Centerforce installed when the body was removed and the undercarriage was sandblasted.

RicardoJM
07-05-2013, 11:13 AM
... I don't know how well it was all put together. Supposedly he had a brand new Centerforce installed ...

I've got good news for you Carson - you are going to eliminate the unknowns and will know for sure in short order.:D

The bad news is that you may end up having to get into it pretty deep. With the symptoms you desribe, the clutch disk may not have been installed. :(

First things first, remove the inspection cover so you can take a look at what is going on.

subzali
07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I don't know boo about clutches, but have read about installing the clutch disc backwards? Seems like a common mistake? Don't know if it would cause these symptoms...

treerootCO
07-05-2013, 01:01 PM
clutch slave rod adjusted too far out would disengage the clutch. Same could be said about the clutch master if the rod to the pedal is too tight.

cbmontgo
07-05-2013, 01:11 PM
clutch slave rod adjusted too far out would disengage the clutch. Same could be said about the clutch master if the rod to the pedal is too tight.

Could this account for starting the truck in gear and it doesn't "lunge" forward with clutch released?

cbmontgo
07-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I am starting to think that I don't have time for this rig. May sell.