PDA

View Full Version : BRD OHV happening this Thursday...


Red_Chili
09-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Gee, it rhymes...
Don't forget, this Thursday is the Boulder Ranger District OHV meeting. 5:00, north side of Boulder.
Oh, and due to some pressing family issues, I may be tied up for a while on weekends - if anyone wants to maybe take the lead on organizing the maintenance of Jenny Creek this fall (like, one Saturday for carsoniting and such, low work quotient, high fun quotient) let me know. I will still try to make it, I just want to make sure the work is spread around and doesn't get dropped.

Red_Chili
09-20-2005, 07:49 AM
Mo' info... who is comin'?
________________________________________
All,

The September meeting will be the 22nd at 5:00pm at the Boulder Ranger District Office, 2140 Yarmouth Ave, Boulder, 303-541-2500.

Below is the agenda for the meeting.

------------------------

Mission/Direction:

To coordinate and implement volunteer projects on the Boulder Ranger District related to the maintenance of OHV recreation.

Education - Restoration - Information Test for projects: is it signing? erosion control? restoration?

keeping the public on the route? education? re-establishing closures of previous decisions?

------------------------

Agenda:

1) Schedule Next Meeting - All

2) 2005 grant proposals - All

Rainbow Lakes grant work (Paul).

3) 4WD Road Signing project - Adam

Review of Moon Gulch, Jumbo Mountain road signing.

4) Rocky Mountain OHV Patrol - Valerie

Updates on program. Coney Creek cutoff needs route control work.

5) Lefthand Travel Planning update - Brian/Cat Update on September restoration work (Brian).

Update on Lefthand Travel EA (Cat).

6) Yankee Doodle Lake - Bill/Roz

Status on Jenny Creek road and restoration project. Review of possible projects including signing.

7) Restoration Projects - Roz

Proposals of Park Creek, Bunce School Road, Bald Mountain description of work for Categorical Exclusion.

Any new issues or concerns to work on, or Forest Service projects related to Boulder Ranger District motorized recreation. - All

Boulder Ranger District projects list are online at http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/projects/ (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/projects/)

---------------------------------------------

Update in Fall 2005:

1) Sugarloaf Single Track

2) BRD Transportation Inventory Grant

---------------------------------------------

Last Meeting:

2) Continue to work 2005 grant proposals - All All players that participated in the last Lefthand Grant and did the post and cable work are still available and willing to do the grant.

Trailridge Runners support to administer the grant is cool due to the Lefthand Travel proposal that includes the closure of the classified road to Fairview Peak. Greg and Adam will continue pursuing this with the club. Caribou Travel Plan includes update to Rainbow Lakes trailhead parking lot. Paul Grobe to work a grant for this project.

3) 4WD Road Signing project - Adam

Miller Rock 4WD road signed.

Planed August 27th Moon Gulch, Jumbo Mountain road signing.

4) Rocky Mountain OHV Patrol - Valerie

Issue on Coney Creek Cutoff. ATVs made a bypass of the rocky area.

Others have blocked the bypass. Route control to be considered for Trailridge Runners 4WD Club work on Coney Creek.

5) Lefthand Travel Planning update - Brian/Cat Lefthand II project to haul materials on Sept 9th for restoration on Sept 10. Lefthand Travel EA is out for review.

6) Yankee Doodle Lake - Bill/Roz

Adopt-A-Road agreement signed. First projects might be signing. BRD Hydrologist to review area for bog project. Rising Sun 4WD Club has $1500 to put into Jenny Creek restoration work.

Adam Mehlberg 3jeeps@cohvco.org 3jeeps@frii.com Trailridge Runners 4WD Club Secretary

Red_Chili
09-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Anybody comin'?

BTW, if gas prices top $4, I'm gonna have to hand this off to someone near Boulder I think. We should still be represented, especially if we want to see Jenny Creek remain sustainable and open, and perhaps work on Boulder Wagon Road.

Karst8835
09-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Bill -

I will try to get there.

Jack

Red_Chili
09-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Thank you Jack- but don't try too hard, it was last Thursday (note the posting date...). The next meeting is 10/27, so do try to make it if you can!

It went pretty well; because some of the green representatives have been missing meetings, they were surprised we were enthusiastic supporters of the mud bog project. I had said we would not work on it without being able to adopt Jenny Creek Road (thus having a direct interest), so they missed the adoption and subsequent discussion.

It seems the mud bog project has been languishing due to the focus on Left Hand (which does need focus), so I have been and will continue to push for it. But the snow flies soon...

I also told Cat I had not been contacted by the travel management fella, and we were thinking up nicknames for him unless he calls soon, so we can carsonite Jenny Creek. She will pursue it. The hydrologist was supposed to review the trail, especially the section that has eroded into the creek but has a sustainable bypass, so we can sign the bypass and keep folks out of the creek at that point.

A lot of the discussion was regarding road work done by a contractor to the Arapahoe NF, named 'Willy'. He does horrible work, he did the grading on a couple trails that now have no obstacles and are no longer sustainable, including one that had to be closed for rehabilitation. Only in government work, it seems... The whole OHV committee was mystified as to how this could happen, who was in charge of the contract, etc., but Cat stated they were no longer going to use 'Willy'.

Heads up, he also does work in Clear Creek Ranger District...!!!!!! I will keep you informed.

Karst8835
09-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Sorry about that, I will look at dates more carefully in the future. Right now 10/27 might be possible. I will let you know.

Red_Chili
09-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Hey, no worries, I appreciate the help!

Rzeppa
09-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Hey Bill, did you get a call from someone named Debra? I gave her your number. She is a consultant and dirt biker who is working on trying to get more cooperation going between the different OHV motorized groups. We had a good phone conversation Wednesday evening. I'm posting this here because I suggested that she try to help get the word out to other OHV groups about these BRD meetings. She had never heard of Gene King or the Colorado Association. She heard about us from someone near lookout mountain who was in a yellow cruiser, then got my info from Stevinson.

Red_Chili
09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
I didn't, not yet anywho. My cell is best, see the members'-only forum, roster thread.

Rzeppa
09-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Just cross-referenced that post with the info I keep in my past member's roster and sure enough, it appears the numbers are outdated. I'll call her back and give her the numbers you posted in the member's only section, update your info on the roster, and PM you with her number, k?