PDA

View Full Version : Lead and Oakum Pipe Joints

rover67
07-23-2013, 10:26 AM
While crawling under our house last night I noticed that the sewer is leaking into our crawl space.

It is leaking where the main 3" copper pipe runs into the hub of a cast iron pipe that goes under the foundation to the yard in front. It started leaking because when somebody cut a section of the 3" copper out to install a drain for the washing machine they destroyed the joint from moving it around so much.

After searching some I noticed that there are rubber donuts that can be used to seal the joint, but I also noticed that maybe doing another Lead and Oakum joint would be a better idea since it seems like t'd be more permanent to me.

Are there any plumbers in the audience that can give advice? I was going to call around and get some oakum, shove it in there with some home made caulking tools, then either pour lead in behind it or hammer in some lead wool. Any chance anybody has the tools I can borrow? Am I wasting my time and should I just try to find or make the right sized rubber donut? I just don't see that working very well.

DaveInDenver
07-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Plumber, if you need one.

Kelly Hummel
303 954 8447

Tell them Dean from Meadow Hills condos sent you.

60wag
07-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Fernco makes the rubber bushings. They are code approved so I imagine you should be able to get at least 40 years our of one. When I remodeled my basement bathroom, I modified a joint that I did 20 years ago with a Fernco. It was still still sealing the joint and as flexible as when it went in.

rover67
07-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Fernco makes the rubber bushings. They are code approved so I imagine you should be able to get at least 40 years our of one. When I remodeled my basement bathroom, I modified a joint that I did 20 years ago with a Fernco. It was still still sealing the joint and as flexible as when it went in.

Dave, thanks for the plumber info, that rocks.

Bruce, Where'd you find the Fernco donut?

60wag
07-23-2013, 01:12 PM
I got it at a plumbing supply shop that is no longer around. I think McGuckin's carries some of their parts. Amazon has them online. Grainger has them if you have a way to buy from them.

Squishy!
07-23-2013, 04:28 PM
George T. Sanders carries stuff like that. Pretty much anything you might need. There are locations across Denver, look em up. :thumb:

kurtnkegger
07-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Grainger started selling to John Q. Public...You don't need a commercial connection any more.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Grainger started selling to John Q. Public...You don't need a commercial connection any more.

I was thinking the same thing. They have a location in Denver near the Bronco's stadium, if it is still in the same location.

rover67
07-25-2013, 09:25 AM
yeah we have one up in Boulder too.

The joint is not a consistent one to allow a donut to be used very effectively, but I think I am going to give it a shot... Or call Dean/Dave's plumber.

OilHammer
07-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Post a photo. I'm not following. I have "loads" of plumbing experience....lol...
I've never seen copper in a residence other than supply. Lead, yes, copper, no. I have lead galore in my house. Lead traps, lead leaders, lead lead lead.

rover67
07-30-2013, 09:13 AM
I still need to crawl under there again. I was under there last night but only for a bit to hook up the supply line for the sprinklers and that was on the other side of the house from the drain.