View Full Version : Transfer Call Sign?

07-28-2013, 04:52 PM
I vaguely recall finding a page on the FCC site a while back about transferring a HAM call sign, but now can't seem to find it? Looking to get my license and hoping to transfer over my grandfather's callsign.

Anyone have a link by chance? :cheers:

07-28-2013, 06:45 PM
You can't transfer call signs per say. You can pick up one that was previously issued if has not been renewed for more than 2 years under the vanity license system.

There is an exception for family members such as your grandfather's call sign if he's deceased (silent key). In that case if you can provide some documentation to the FCC you can use his call sign immediately, no need to wait the 2 years for it expire. Be aware that if his call sign was for a higher class than you hold you might not be able to claim it.


07-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks Dave! Thats exactly what I was looking for, not sure why I couldn't find it :rolleyes:

I'll check into what license my grandfather had. He did pass away so was hoping to transfer over that call sign. But I still need to go through and get my license first :)

07-29-2013, 10:56 AM
What's his call sign? You can PM if you'd like, just wanted to see if it's available to you as a Technician.