PDA

View Full Version : Tracking an electrical short?

smslavin
08-06-2013, 11:11 AM
I believe I have an electrical short somewhere with my dual battery and secondary fuse box setup. Main battery is fine but my second died while I was out on Kingston Peak over the weekend. My GPS and CB are wired into a Blue Sea box that is connected to the second battery and they lost power about halfway through my drive. I have a volt meter but I've never tried to track down a short before. What am I looking for?

Jacket
08-06-2013, 11:57 AM
What dual battery system do you have?

nakman
08-06-2013, 11:58 AM
A short? :lmao: I'm an electrical hack, but have may be able to jog some ideas... http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/electric.gif

First thing I'd do is disconnect the 2nd battery, charge it, then see if it's still charged after a day or 2. Just to rule out that it's just a bad battery. Or possibly point you to something going awry with your dual setup- do you have a boxed system (IBS, Hellroaring, Nat Luna, etc) or homebrew setup?

Another test is pull all your fuses out of the Blue Sea box, then measure voltage at the battery and at the box. See if there's a voltage drop? If there is, then something's funky in the line between the battery and the box. If not, then one at a time put fuses back and measure what changes. Or leave the fuses out and see if your good battery stays good... eventually you'll isolate the drain. hth!

smslavin
08-06-2013, 02:44 PM
No worries. I'm a total hack as well. Thanks for the tips. I'm taking a look at it now.

Jacket, I rolled my own. I'll dig out the schematics I drew for it.

..:: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ::..

smslavin
08-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Well. Crap. Looks like I found the problem. It must have come loose going up Kingston. Still going to check for shorts though.

..:: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ::..

Rzeppa
08-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Looks more like an open than a short! :lmao: