PDA

View Full Version : the 13th annual Spooky Night Run - October 19th.

nakman
08-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Can you believe it? lucky 13... wow.

Time to get those chisels out, and carve October 19th into your calendar.

We'll be meeting somewhere within an hour of Denver at 4:00, airing down, then some low range action with a group potluck dinner tossed in. All the details you need to know today are:

- a stock truck in good mechanical condition with a capable driver can make it.
- yes you should bring something to share for dinner. Any food, any drink (of the na variety)
- it will be a "loop," meaning trailer queens will be able to drop off & return to their trailers

As in years past, plan on tight tree branch-filled corridors, so extra wide vehicles or those with pristine paint may be discouraged, as there could be light pin striping. More details to follow... :D

Fishy
08-07-2013, 11:33 AM
My favorite...... we'll be there!

Keith
08-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Put it on my calendar. Woohoo! Will probably be my first RS run. My truck is stock... Except for the pin striping, so I should be good to go.

bomber22
08-13-2013, 08:06 AM
i might be in for this again this year, will talk to the wife.

MtnAddict
08-19-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm in. :thumb: Any ideas on a trail yet?

BJTLC100
08-30-2013, 01:57 PM
I have it penciled in and will try to make it again this year!

Get Outside
09-03-2013, 10:53 PM
I would like to say I'm in but have to wait and see if my wife can switch shifts with someone else at the hospital, she's scheduled in that night.

Paulo

Hulk
09-04-2013, 01:08 AM
I have it on the calendar. :)

TheDoc
10-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Any updates on this event?

AimCOTaco
10-09-2013, 10:04 AM
I think we're in to. Sounds like fun!

nakman
10-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Yes definitely still on... more than likely we'll stick to the lower I-70 corridor on this one. Was leaning towards Rollinsville area again, but given their flood impact plus the amount of snow there's likely to be up there, will try something lower. The "new trail" I had in mind may just have to wait until next year...

Still going to be a fun run though, start wiring up those inverters & smokin' that pork shoulder.. :)

Fishy
10-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Count us in for Pork Green Chile out of the crock pot.

imhighlander
10-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Total noob here. I'd love to try and make this. Subscribed for updates, meetup time/place.

Rzeppa
10-12-2013, 12:17 PM
All the details you need to know today are...More details to follow... :D

Now would be good? :p:

MtnAddict
10-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Weekends coming up, this is still on for the 19th, right?

Fishy
10-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Tim usually doesn't release the secret info until a day or two prior.... To keep the Spooky level at an 8 or a 9.

TheDoc
10-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Anyone going that has a SWR Meter? I have a new antenna and would love to tune it... Maybe we could meet a few minutes early... Any help that can be offered would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Get Outside
10-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Ok Tim, how about now?!? Can we get some details now?
Meeting place
Meeting time
Trail difficulty (I'm still stock), location
Give us something

I'll have my little ones with me since the wife will be stuck at work 'till late. Then we'll run China Wall with a co worker on sunday morning.

FJCDan
10-16-2013, 07:48 AM
We are in for this one again also, can't wait. Allways a fun run.

nakman
10-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Ok looks like we're going back to Barbour Fork- our best bet for snow conditions & cookout site.

Meet at Safeway in Idaho Springs at 4:00, air down if you want. Roll out by 4:30.
Difficulty is not very- stocker friendly. At least to the dinner spot.. if there's no snow then you could do the whole thing. If there's lots of snow then probably not.
Bring kids, friendly dogs, warm clothes. Hats, gloves, boots, a second jacket... and of course something to contribute to the dinner. Remember this is a wheelin' event, so no need to bring beer.

There will also be camping available. 2 years ago it was a lot of fun, also a lot of wind. :camping:

rover67
10-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Bummer I'll have to miss it this year... :(

That's a fun trail that is perfect for evening runs.

Y'all don't forget to wire up all the string lights on the roof racks and take lots of pictures!

imhighlander
10-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Of those attending, how many are camping and how many are heading out after the cookout? (I'll plan to take off after dinner.)

Matt

Fishy
10-16-2013, 02:44 PM
There will also be camping available. 2 years ago it was a lot of fun, also a lot of wind. :camping:

Last year was a lot of fun too..... A small group did camp at the cookout spot. Temps were great and stars were out. Is anyone planning on staying the night?

Firewood for the fire, Tim? It should be available at the Safeway if we're gonna do a campfire and anyone can bring some. :campfire:

Get Outside
10-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Thanks Tim.
I guess I'll have to wait to see how much snow falls down on Friday.
Really want to go but if you say a stock 100 won't make it then I'll skip it, unfortunaly!

What do you say Stan?

Crash
10-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Thanks Tim.
Really want to go but if you say a stock 100 won't make it then I'll skip it, unfortunaly!

What do you say Stan?

Don't forget you will be with comrades and DON'T sell the 100 short!!
Wouldn't hurt to bring a strap, however. :thumb:

Fishy
10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks Tim.

What do you say Stan?

Paulo,

You and the 100 will do fine. There is no question the 100 is plenty capable for this trail, it's just big and the trail can be tight in spots. As Tim said, if there is snow it ups the difficulty a little. Plenty of folks to help/assist if needed so don't let that stop you.

We had a stock 100 on the Spooky Night Run last year. No issues.

This is a fun run!

kc0sm
10-16-2013, 10:08 PM
O.K. I think we will make it. Sounds like fun for our first night run. My wife has a question: are there any facilities for the ladies? (outhouse?) Thanks, Mike.:rolleyes:

Fishy
10-16-2013, 10:33 PM
O.K. I think we will make it. Sounds like fun for our first night run. My wife has a question: are there any facilities for the ladies? (outhouse?) Thanks, Mike.:rolleyes:

No facilities. But we're not too far from town. Safeway (meet up spot) has a restroom. Baring any on trail problems, expect 3 hours for the group to make the loop. I usually bring a folding camp potty for my girls, just in case.

AimCOTaco
10-17-2013, 08:01 AM
OK, we're in, sort of. We will be running late due to girls volleyball but should only be 15-30 minutes behind. Don't wait up.

Tim, if you could tell me which direction we're running on the loop then I'll just hammer down and call out to you or Stan on the radio and we'll mount a surprise attack from the back. (so throw in those rear coils if you have room)

Just let me know which way to turn at the loop and I'll figure it out from there.

Thanks!

nakman
10-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Andy we'll probably go left- then eat first. So you'd run into us at that huge open meadow, before the road passes that little shelter and heads up the hill.

Fishy
10-17-2013, 09:01 AM
OK, we're in, sort of. We will be running late due to girls volleyball but should only be 15-30 minutes behind. Don't wait up.

Tim, if you could tell me which direction we're running on the loop then I'll just hammer down and call out to you or Stan on the radio and we'll mount a surprise attack from the back. (so throw in those rear coils if you have room)

Just let me know which way to turn at the loop and I'll figure it out from there.

Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing you and Sally! We'll have the whole family as well.

Fishy
10-17-2013, 09:10 AM
I'll have my little ones with me since the wife will be stuck at work 'till late. Then we'll run China Wall with a co worker on sunday morning.

Paulo..... I don't want to hijack the SNR thread. But, China Wall is a long haul for a very short trail that unless you do all the obstacles, is just a drive around a loop. Are you bringing the 100? It will make every obstacle, but the stock bumpers will get a workout.

Metberry Gulch is the same thing (minus the obstacles) and much closer.

AimCOTaco
10-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Looking forward to seeing you and Sally! We'll have the whole family as well.

Likewise Stan! The girls are excited to meet the wives and kids and re-visit with some of the 'hills group.

We may get lucky and catch the group still in town, but if not we'll see you at the potluck!

Caribou Sandstorm
10-17-2013, 01:51 PM
I think we are in for this! Hope to see you at the trail head.

Jacket
10-17-2013, 02:02 PM
We've got a game at 4:30, so it's not looking good but maybe two of us could show late.

richietherocket
10-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Bummer that we cant make this run. Rapids game starts at 4p this weekend. Will have to make the next trip. Is there going to be a Nov turkey run someplace?

Rich

Fishy
10-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Bummer that we cant make this run. Rapids game starts at 4p this weekend. Will have to make the next trip. Is there going to be a Nov turkey run someplace?

Rich

The 2nd Annual Run the Gulches will be around Turkey Day.

Get Outside
10-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Hey you know what? We are going and it is what it is! My main concern was need for lockers and lifts but we'll be there (me and the kids).

Stan, thanks for the heads up, we are realy just hanging out with a coworker that just quit the shop today (and I knew he was gonna do it), we been talking about going wheeling for a wile and he's already right there so it just worked out that way.

Thanks

MtnAddict
10-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Kristy, Bandit and I will meet you guys at Safeway.

Fishy
10-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Slight change of plans for The Fishy Family. Keagan's soccer game was moved to 3pm, so we'll meet at the cookout/camp spot at 5pm.

I'll be brewing fresh coffee and hot chocolate as soon as we arrive. Bring a favorite travel mug if you have one. I will have paper coffee cups with lids as well.

imhighlander
10-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Just in from Phoenix on biz. Any word on trail condition/snow levels?

I'm new to Barbour so is there anything a double locked Fzj80 can't handle?

Fishy
10-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Just in from Phoenix on biz. Any word on trail condition/snow levels?

I'm new to Barbour so is there anything a double locked Fzj80 can't handle?

You'll be MORE than prepared.... Hope to see you there.

Here's a map to the meet up spot for anyone who isn't familiar.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2425+Miner+St,+Idaho+Springs,+CO&hl=en&ll=39.741217,-105.509133&spn=0.009108,0.016544&hnear=2425+Miner+St,+Idaho+Springs,+Colorado+80452&t=m&z=16

kurtnkegger
10-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Really hoping to make this run, as it was so much fun a couple of years ago...However, Carolyn (my wife) just had back surgery...and was expected to be out of the hospital today...will stay in till Sunday, or Monday...Looks like I have visitation, over the trail run. Have fun Y'all!! We'll be there next year.

mikeyhcrana
10-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Is this open for anyone to attend? If all goes well at my sons football game, we will have time to make it. My automatic 4runner is slow on the highway, but keeps up fine on the trail. Does anybody mind a cheap, slow, 4runner tagging along with its family? I'll bring a potluck item, of course, and I guess what I'm asking is, can we come too?

Fishy
10-19-2013, 08:00 AM
All of our events are open to any and all. Of course it's preferred that attendees drive Toyota 4x4s......and we always encourage membership in Rising Sun and TLCA. But everyone is welcome as long as they abide by the very basic requirements of no alcohol on the trail, no discharging firearms, stay the trail and have fun. I know you've been out with us before, so this isn't directed at you but for anyone else looking to attend.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Hey we are out this year, Olive has a birthday party till 4pm..

DanS
10-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Firewood for the fire, Tim? It should be available at the Safeway if we're gonna do a campfire and anyone can bring some. :campfire:

I am going to try to sneak away and go up with you guys, and then back home for the night--depending on if I get called for work.

But did you say firewood?

Don't buy any. How much you want? I can either bring it to the safeway, or leave a little pile for you guys to pick up if you'd like.

Dan

Get Outside
10-19-2013, 10:21 AM
This is shaping up to a prety cool run!
My son is all excited about it! He's over here saying we gotta go get marshmallows because we are out!

RidinDurty
10-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Last minute availability - WHERE IS EVERYONE MEETING FOR THE RUN TONIGHT??

DanS
10-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Last minute availability - WHERE IS EVERYONE MEETING FOR THE RUN TONIGHT??

From the first couple pages, it looks like Idaho Springs Safeway at 4PM.

Dan

Get Outside
10-19-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm making some guacamole and will grab some chips to go with it!
See you all at 4!

Fishy
10-19-2013, 12:06 PM
You'll be MORE than prepared.... Hope to see you there.

Here's a map to the meet up spot for anyone who isn't familiar.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2425+Miner+St,+Idaho+Springs,+CO&hl=en&ll=39.741217,-105.509133&spn=0.009108,0.016544&hnear=2425+Miner+St,+Idaho+Springs,+Colorado+80452&t=m&z=16

Link to map

Fishy
10-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Hey we are out this year, Olive has a birthday party till 4pm..

Chris.... We have soccer until 4, so we'll be late too. We won't get to the fire spot until 5pm. You can make it!

Seldom Seen
10-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Anyone going that has a SWR Meter? I have a new antenna and would love to tune it... Maybe we could meet a few minutes early... Any help that can be offered would be much appreciated. Thanks!

VHF or HF??

JadeRunner
10-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Darn. I'm not going to be able to make this. Just got back from a long unsuccessful elk hunt. We barley made it out with all the snow. Stuff is everywhere and the 4runner and I need a rest. Have fun.

DanS
10-19-2013, 01:42 PM
But did you say firewood?

Don't buy any. How much you want? I can either bring it to the safeway, or leave a little pile for you guys to pick up if you'd like.

Belay that.

Somehow I have a failed cooling fan on the faux-lux, so can't get up the hill to my property without overheating the engine.

That said, if anyone wants to make the quick drive up to Dumont (10 mins from Idaho Springs) I can take you up to go get firewood.

Dan

Hulk
10-19-2013, 03:19 PM
We're not going to make it. :( Too many kid activities. Have fun -- I'll be thinking about you all.

TheDoc
10-19-2013, 11:19 PM
That was an awesome "adventure"... Pucker factor = High. Haha. Good stuff. Thanks Tim for organizing and leading. And, thanks to all for sharing the good food. Sorry I did not stop and say thanks/goodbye at the final stop at the base... Had to get 4 year old home (and my mother in law... Think she may have peed her pants on that run...). Can't wait till next time. Never wheeled at night or in the snow. That was sweet -- Thanks again!

Get Outside
10-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks Tim and everyone for putting together a great run!
That was a first for me too, haven't wheeled at night and/or snow(icy)! Then you go and put them together in a awesome event!
Lot of fun!

MtnAddict
10-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Great time guys. Definite pucker factor. Thanks to everyone who helped me with the broken front diff. ARB was next on the list, so I got beat... Hopefully we'll be up and running soon.

AimCOTaco
10-20-2013, 12:09 PM
That was our family's first slippery night run and we had a great time! The kids were wide awake and still having a blast by the end of the bobsled zone and then all crashed hard once we hit the highway. Sorry about the diff Josh, glad we got you rolling again quickly. Many thanks Tim for a great event.

imhighlander
10-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Hope you guys had a good time. After being out all week on business (one trip totally unexpected until day-of), I couldn't get my truck project done before time to hit the trail. Wrapped that up and watched college football instead. Bummed I missed this, but really look forward to meeting other Toyota fans very soon, preferably on a trail.

Related, I'm waiting on my TLCA.org membership to take effect and hope to join Rising Sun after first of the year (if you'll have me). :)

Matt

mikeyhcrana
10-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Will there be a 14th annual SNR this year?

DanS
10-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Will there be a 14th annual SNR this year?

Yes. I believe October 25 was the date that was decided during this week's meeting.

(off the top of my head, so possibly wrong)

Dan

Blindranger
10-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Yes. I believe October 25 was the date that was decided during this week's meeting.

(off the top of my head, so possibly wrong)

Dan

Yes, that is what I put in my Calender too.

TonkaToy
10-03-2014, 09:34 PM
We are in! Have to get a shake down run on the 40 prior. It's yet to see a trail since rebuild. Maybe we should start a new thread as this one had me confused by the date?

aprosise
10-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Bummer, headed to Moab on the 25th!

Rock Dog
10-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Thanks!

Don't think i have EVER been on time for a Spooky night Run.... Kinda adds to the adventure:eek: