PDA

View Full Version : scan tool

wesintl
08-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Is the VAG-COM scan tool the same as a obd-2?

The TDI glow plug is blinking and I need to see what's up.:rant:

Romer
08-23-2006, 06:28 PM
If it's a 96 and up, it's OBDII compliant and you can use a scan tool.

I have two tools

A nice OBD II Reader (for sale) that will pull and clear codes and tell you what they are

and an Autoxray 4000 reader scanner that will do all that a reader can do and allow you to monitor real time data.

You can borrow the OBDII reader or come by and use the scanner to see whats up.

wesintl
08-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks ken. I perused tdiclub.com and all I could find was that #2 glow plug can be an issue or a fuel filter. I thought I just replaced the filter. I'll have to check. Obviosly I can't do much without reading the code.

These damn new fangled cars :(

Do you have some time friday evening? If not maybe sunday. I planned to work jenny creek sat.

Romer
08-23-2006, 08:00 PM
I plan on going up to Jenny Creek. If you want the reader you can come by anytime and borrow it for a while.

wesintl
08-27-2006, 11:21 AM
THanks to Ken I hook up the reader and I get NADA. I post to TDI club.com and It's mentioned to check the tail lights :rolleyes:

So it ends up being that the tail light was out. The bulb was fine but the connection on the driver tailight at the bulb has always been an issue. I've had to deal with it several times. Wierd in the past the glow plug light has never come on for this issue.