PDA

View Full Version : Relocating to Colorado

Burt88
09-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Hello all, my name is Mike and I plan on relocating to Colorado as the title says. I've been living in NC most of my life, regularly traveling throughout the country, and have decided that enough is enough and it's time to take a leap of faith and move to the state I most love. I'll be arriving in December. For the past decade I've wanted to make this move and finally the time is right, although I have no job lined up and just a handfull of couches to surf for a while.
Currently I'm a member of TLCA, Olde North State Cruisers, and BRC. In recent years LandCruisers have become my addiction consuming most of my free time and all my money but I love it and wouldn't change a thing. I was in attendance at Cruise Moab 2012, mostly hanging out with the Gotham City crowd, and had the time of my life. Many thanks for putting on such a great event and I hope I will be able to join your ranks soon, and help put on such events of course.
I look forward to chatting with and eventually meeting some of you. And I'd greatly appreciate any leads on employment, as well as suggested locations on where to reside. I'm not much of a city person and prefer smaller towns with space to breath. My background is mostly in landscape management but I have a strong mechanical ability and I learn most trades very quickly. The past two years I've been managing the restoration of a 1920's horse farm. I'm open to anything that pays right now so I can keep my feet on the ground until I find a more permanent situation.

Thanks

Fishy
09-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Looking forward to having you here!

Slee Offroad was just looking for someone. They're located in Golden.... Which is kinda small town, but not like East Coast small town.

Inukshuk
09-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Welcome!

Corbet
09-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Welcome.

If you like small town life there are many on the west side of the Continental divide. Downside is that most come with a high cost of living due to the ski industry. If you pick one far enough away the ski resorts then its manageable for most. However the housing prices are much higher than what you are probably used to in NC. Just a warning.

Post up any specific city/towns your looking at. Someone here is bound to have lived there at one time.

wesintl
09-07-2013, 11:19 PM
I hear wray is nice.. lol

Burt88
09-08-2013, 08:03 AM
My list of locations is pretty broad. Durango is my first choice but I understand it's very expensive and jobs are limited. I have friends living in Telluride, Aspen, and Colorado Springs who are willing to give me shelter and are currently updating me on jobs in those areas. I also looked into Salidas and Buena Vista but I don't know anyone living there currently. Twice now I've been told about Golden so I'm gonna take a closer look into that. Mainly I want access to the mountains and backcountry wheeling. Ideally I'd want to live a reasonable distance to Utah. What I'd really like to do is set up sort of a base camp in a town with a decent job and explore the state for about a year till I find my permanent destination. I'm traveling light and selling everything I own that doesn't fit in my cruiser. If anyone has info on job leads you can contact me by email at mangstreich81@gmail.com I don't want to clutter up this thread with a full on job search.

smslavin
09-08-2013, 03:33 PM
The past two years I've been managing the restoration of a 1920's horse farm.

that sounds like a hoot of a gig. tons of work i'm sure but, to bring something like that back to life? awesome. :thumb:

ttubb
09-08-2013, 06:55 PM
I don't know if you have looked at Crested Butte/Gunnison area, however here is a link to jobs in CB in the Crested Butte News.

http://www.crestedbuttenews.com/index.php?option=com_myadd&task=showads&id=11

Also look at the Gunnison Shopper here:

http://www.gunnisonshopper.com/classified.lasso?c=employment

It would be cheaper to live in Gunnison. This is some great country and fine people. Good luck. Terry

Corbet
09-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Durango is way cheaper than Telluride or Aspen but still not cheap. Really not bad in the overall picture of CO though. The job market is pretty competitive but that will be the case in any "lifestyle" town in high demand.

You might look at Montrose or Grand Junction if your not a skier.

Fishy
09-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Durango is way cheaper than Telluride or Aspen but still not cheap. Really not bad in the overall picture of CO though. The job market is pretty competitive but that will be the case in any "lifestyle" town in high demand.

You might look at Montrose or Grand Junction if your not a skier.

Yeah..... you might want to check the cost of living in Aspen or Telluride before you look for work there.. Avg housing/rental prices in Aspen are $1300+ per month for a studio with no garage. Average home prices are just under $1,000,000.

Average rental in Telluride is $1507 in 2011. Home prices are on par with Aspen at $968,000.

IMO Telluride is 10 million times better, but hard to find suitable work to pay for the lifestyle you mentioned. And, Telluride is pretty isolated from the rest of the state. I'm not a fan of Aspen at all. You'll need to make some nice bank if you want to accomplish the goals you stated above. It's no fun working 7 days a week to pay for your place to live. That leaves no extra coin for traveling, gas, food or even the ability to take time off.

I like Corbets advice of Grand Junction or Montrose, but they are VERY different from North Carolina and you'd be wise to spend some time there before committing.

Romer
09-08-2013, 09:51 PM
living on the west side of Denver/Lakewood is pretty affordable and close to the mountains, not sure how prices in Golden are which is close by, but like mentioned before you could work at Slee http://forum.ih8mud.com/employment-forum/766383-warehouse-position-slee-off-road.html#post8762101

Burt88
09-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice so far.
I contacted Slee to see if they were still looking. My intentions are not to live permanently in any of the major ski destinations. However, a friends free couch for a month in the middle of the season might be fun. In the past weekend I've been browsing Golden, Montrose, and Grand Junction in addition to the other locations I previously mentioned. Found a few interesting jobs to throw a resume at and see what happens. I remember visiting Crested Butte years ago and talking with the locals. Said they love it and it's very much worth working two jobs to live there haha. I'm gonna take a look at Gunnison next. It totally skipped my mind.

OilHammer
09-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Old Northe State....were you in Raleigh? I helped start that club back when I was living in Winston-Salem. Unless you are living in Chapel Hill or Carey, moving out here is going to be a rude awakening to your bank account. I did it back in 09 and I'm still reeling a bit from it. Darn near doubled my mortgage for less house in a similar neighborhood, though much larger city.
Worst part is that BEER costs more out here too! Haha...at least its better and with a larger selection.

I agree with what others have said about Golden. It's probably worth a look. It's kind of a nice inbetween town that will allow you to find work in Denver or Boulder, and you can live just outside Golden and maybe knock rent down a little more.

Burt88
09-10-2013, 07:28 PM
OilHammer, I'm an ONSC member from Southern Pines, bout an hour south of Raleigh. The club you helped start is going strong and when I move I'm gonna miss the hell out of the friends I've made in the club. We're a pretty tight bunch and always help each other out when needed.
I'm fully prepared for the cost increase of Colorado, especially from where I live, but I figure it'll be pretty relative. As long as I work a decent paying job I'll be fine. Slee told me my move was a little too far off to consider right now. I'm applying for a job with the city of Golden later this week with the parks department. Bet they need some snow shoveled in the winter haha.

OilHammer
09-10-2013, 10:56 PM
I agree there, bunch of good guys that I miss hanging out with. Oh man, some serious BBQ and fishing guys out there. Great group out here too though. You should move close enough to Denver to be able to attend Rising Sun events, especially trips out to Moab. :)

Burt88
09-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Browsing job listings it looks like I'll be near Denver or Co Springs initially. I'll keep an update. I also plan on bugging you guys a lot to participate in your events and club functions, especially Cruise Moab. In 2012 I was the ill prepared sprung under fj62 wagon that winched through most of Pritchet Canyon. That event taught me a few things and now the truck is sprung over with a wheelbase stretched 5 inches riding on 39.5's and beadlocks. I plan on bringing it with me.
This weekend is actually the biggest annual event for our club and we roast a whole pig. Ramon and Brian are great cooks. The event is in honor of our fallen member Logan Monk.

Burt88
09-23-2013, 10:58 AM
I've been keeping track of all the goings on about the recent flooding around the Boulder area and my thoughts go out to anyone affected. Although I'll be relocating in the winter time and most efforts to clean-up and rebuild will be put off till later in the spring I want to extend an offer of my assistance to anyone that may need help after I relocate. I have a strong background in landscape construction, earthwork, and grading. Also I have some experience with carpentry and general home repairs.

BritKLR
09-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Good luck on your move and just enjoy your time in Colorado!

Burt88
09-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Oh I most certainly will enjoy Colorado and I can't wait to join in on some trail rides. I want to spend most of my free time covering territory all over the state and those nearby. My cruiser addiction runs deep.
But, as long as I am able, I will always lend a hand to help others. It's good karma.

Burt88
11-13-2013, 11:09 AM
In less than a month I will be arriving in the Denver area, probably staying in Golden, and I hope to attend the Dec 4 meeting and formally introduce myself. That's if my cross country drive doesn't hit a detour but who knows. In any case I'll be reaching out to whoever wants to meet up for beers or food and talk cruisers.
In any case I figured now is a good time to introduce my 88 fj62, Burt. Over the past couple weeks she's been receiving some upgrades and I finally have her back together..... again.

Some quick specs; SOA with add-a-leaves, custom shackle reversal, stretched wheelbase 5" over stock, 39.5" iroks, TR Beadlocks, chromoly axle shafts and longfield birfs, 6- shooter knuckles, ARB front locker, Lock-right rear locker, 5.29 nitro gear, saginaw steering pump, home fab twin steering stabilizers, marlin long spline front shaft, TSM transfer case mounted e-brake, rear disk brake conversion, tranny fluid cooler, IPF lights, modified Tacoma ARB bumper, custom rear bumper/tire carrier and rocker guards, lots of custom wheel well trimming. I'm sure I'm missing a few things. She's ready for Colorado and Moab though. I snuck into a couple pics.

Shotshell
11-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Wow, that is a really sweet looking cruiser. :thumb:

Burt88
11-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks Travis.

Burt88
11-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Right now I'm 80% sure I'll be attending the Dec 4 meeting. Everything depends on what happens crossing the country. How long does it take to get from Kansas City to Golden?

Also, I intended to bring a membership application filled out but the link is not working for some reason. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

subzali
11-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Right now I'm 80% sure I'll be attending the Dec 4 meeting. Everything depends on what happens crossing the country. How long does it take to get from Kansas City to Golden?

Also, I intended to bring a membership application filled out but the link is not working for some reason. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Have you attended one of our events? The bylaws state that a condition for membership is to attend one event and one meeting.

If not we'll probably have a Christmas Party and/or a snow run soon enough :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Yeah..... you might want to check the cost of living in Aspen or Telluride before you look for work there.. Avg housing/rental prices in Aspen are $1300+ per month for a studio with no garage. Average home prices are just under $1,000,000.

Average rental in Telluride is $1507 in 2011. Home prices are on par with Aspen at $968,000.

IMO Telluride is 10 million times better, but hard to find suitable work to pay for the lifestyle you mentioned. And, Telluride is pretty isolated from the rest of the state. I'm not a fan of Aspen at all. You'll need to make some nice bank if you want to accomplish the goals you stated above. It's no fun working 7 days a week to pay for your place to live. That leaves no extra coin for traveling, gas, food or even the ability to take time off.

I like Corbets advice of Grand Junction or Montrose, but they are VERY different from North Carolina and you'd be wise to spend some time there before committing.

Ridgeway, Montrose are great communities with more affordable housing, if you like that area....

Jacket
11-26-2013, 10:04 AM
It's about an 8 hour drive from KC to Denver

wesintl
11-26-2013, 10:16 AM
^^ same with Jacket, depends on how fast the cruiser can go and what the wind is like...

LOL telluride and aspen are 2 peas in a pod. I lived in aspen for a while. It's a fun town. great outdoor activities close by. Govt trail is one of my all time favorites. $ for a place to live are different for a single dude with no commitments. First year it's kinda tough if you don't know anyone. the more people you know the more lower $ housing opportunities you find.

Even Rasta stevie doesn't live in telluride anymore.. lol

Burt88
11-26-2013, 12:45 PM
The current plan is to stay in Lyons for an extended visit where I have a relative that has an extra room on a ranch outside of town. Also he is the recruiter for the Lyons FD and is going to help connect me with employment, which will determine where I live. Additionally I want to stay in close proximity with the club for at least the next year so I can use your collective knowledge to explore the state.
As per requirement that I attend an event.... Moab 2012. Additionally, I intend to participate in as many events with your club as I can, just the same as I do here in NC. It's part of my life.
An 8hr drive just upped the possibility of my attendance to 90%.
Thanks everyone

Crash
11-26-2013, 01:21 PM
It's almost exactly a 600 mile journey from KC to Denver. To make it in eight hours, you have to average 75mph the entire distance, including fuel stops. Looking at the description of Burt, engine choice wasn't mentioned so I assume the 3FE still motivates her. Never known a female named Burt. Anyway, having made the same trip in an '88 FJ62 named Bart, by the way, numerous times, I wish you a strong tailwind if you plan on making the trip in fewer than ten hours. Don't forget that KC is about 700' above sea level and Denver is at 5280' ASL with quite a few large hills in between the two with winds out of the west the norm. Nevertheless, club meetings start at 7:00pm - don't forget you lose an hour between CST and MST - so you should make it, if not easily if you get an early start. Look forward to meeting you and checking out your truck.
Steve

Burt88
11-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Well, I guess i should mention I have to make the first trip without Burt. I'll be driving my Audi till I find a more permanent situation. Sorry if anyone expected to see her up close but I will bring pictures. It saddens me greatly and I guess I don't want to think too much about it. I should be able to tow her out in January or February.
Also, her full name is Burt Englewood, which is the cool dealership name plate on her tailgate so I went with it. The only female I ever knew with the name Burt was a big doberman that ran the house so I justified it. She was and is one big tough bitch. And my vehicles will always be female because I don't ever want to spend all my time and money on a man.

Corbet
11-26-2013, 03:43 PM
If you did not know Burt Toyota was a Denver area dealership. Its changed names and/or hands a few times since.

Crash
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Never met a woman as tough as a Cruiser, although Ige comes close! PEACE, Ige!! :D
Bart's first name was Burt for the same reason as yours. Had to cut the U out of the Burt badge, flip it over and and add a piece from a model kit to make it an A and voila, Bart - just too many Burts in town for a unique truck, imo.
Audi will be a breeze, tailwind or no.

RicardoJM
11-26-2013, 04:48 PM
....Nevertheless, club meetings start at 7:30pm - don't forget you lose an hour between CST and MST - so you should make it, if not easily if you get an early start. ...

With an additional half hour you should make it. :thumb:

subzali
11-26-2013, 05:00 PM
If you did not know Burt Toyota was a Denver area dealership. Its changed names and/or hands a few times since.

Now groove Toyota on broadway in englewood. Wes and I can't stay away :)

wesintl
11-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I guess it's bad when you get your parts guy a holiday gift...:thumb:

subzali
11-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Yep, thanks for reminding me

Burt88
11-26-2013, 08:27 PM
I always wondered where she came from. She's finally making it back home after a long trip to the east coast. Awesome

Crash
11-26-2013, 10:15 PM

Guess I meant to say that the Cruiser/Toyota meeting is in full swing by 7:00 in the parking lot and Club meeting begins at 7:30 inside.
:cheers:

DanS
11-28-2013, 05:40 PM
I guess it's bad when you get your parts guy a holiday gift...:thumb:

Amateur!

Wait until you get cards and gifts from your parts pushers. ;) (and not the corporate ones--the individual ones)

Dan

wesintl
11-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Ha, Trust me I'm no amateur when it comes to parts... Lol

L43dean
11-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Ha, Trust me I'm no amateur when it comes to parts... Lol

I saw Joe at Groove today. He said hi!

subzali
12-03-2013, 11:04 AM

With the predicted snowstorm hitting tonight and tomorrow it might be tough :(

Burt88
12-03-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm at a buddy's place in Lawrence KS contemplating a delay in my arrival. I may wait until the snow passes so I don't get stranded in BFE Kansas if something happens. I'd run head first into it if I was driving Burt but I don't have tremendous faith in the Audi and the heater is hit or miss. I'd rather play it safe in such cold temps since I have the time to.

Burt88
12-06-2013, 10:11 AM
I arrived in Golden yesterday and staying with my buddy for a couple days. He and his wife own a bar in town on 12th street called Barrels and Bottles. If there are any of you who are attending tonight's candle light event, stop in and support a young business. They keep a rotating tap selection of brewers around the state and a nice selection of wine. I'll be there tonight and I'd welcome meeting anyone who may stop in. There's a good chance I'll be the bearded guy working the door. And again my name is Mike and the owners names are Zack and Abby if you need to ask. Next week I'll be in Lyons for at least a week looking for a job. If there is anyone in that area I'd like to make contact so let me know and we'll make a plan. Also, I'm just looking for a job in general so hit me up with any leads.

imhighlander
12-07-2013, 03:11 PM
It'd be cool to see a meetup at the pub. Still trying to coordinate with folks on RS. Seems like every time the group does something cool I'm out of town. :bummer:

Burt88
12-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Well, upon a visit to Aspen I ended up finding a job through April. I hope I can still make the Dec 8 meeting to get more acquainted with you all and officially join the club but I may have to wait till spring. It was hard to justify leaving here when all the locals seem to be predicting one of the best seasons in years. I'm working for Ashcroft Ski Touring if anybody is ever up this way and enjoys cross country skiing or wants to dine at the crazy expensive Pine Creek Cookhouse.

rover67
12-19-2013, 05:10 PM
sweet, congrats on the gig. I am sure you will have fun there :)