PDA

View Full Version : Tire Advice...

TheDoc
09-08-2013, 01:35 PM
New to wheeling in CO. Just purchased a 94 FZJ80. Need some legit tires for our rocky terrain. I have a 2-3 lift. Currently running 285/75/16. I would like to stay with that size... I think I have plenty of clearance for the type of cruisin I will be doing so I do not really want to go to 35". Cant justify paying $300+ for Toyos. I have heard mixed opinions on the BFG KM2s... Debating the Goodyear DuraTrac ($223 each) or MT/R Kevlar ($270 each). I'm worried about sidewall strength. Is the kevlar worth it? Any other tires with longstanding success that I should be considering. I just want a strong, reliable all around "aggressive" off-road tire. This will not be my daily driver. However, I will be driving it on road occasionally for fun and of course on the road to and from trails near and far. I appreciate your advice!

Caribou Sandstorm
09-08-2013, 01:52 PM
New to wheeling in CO. Just purchased a 94 FJZ80. Need some legit tires for our rocky terrain. I have a 2-3 lift. Currently running 285/75/16. I would like to stay with that size... I think I have plenty of clearance for the type of cruisin I will be doing so I do not really want to go to 35". Cant justify paying $300+ for Toyos. I have heard mixed opinions on the BFG KM2s... Debating the Goodyear DuraTrac ($223 each) or MT/R Kevlar ($270 each). I'm worried about sidewall strength. Is the kevlar worth it? Any other tires with longstanding success that I should be considering. I just want a strong, reliable all around "aggressive" off-road tire. This will not be my daily driver. However, I will be driving it on road occasionally for fun and of course on the road to and from trails near and far. I appreciate your advice!

DuraTracs probably the best and most widely used for both everyday Colorado driving and your weekend trips off the pavement. KM2s are tried and true, but I think the DuraTracs do better in the snow and actually grip better off road. The MT/Rs don't balance well, not a lot of great feedback on those.

I am running Maxxis BigHorns, and have to admit they are not the best for snow but I love the look and off road capability. So I drive more careful int he snow and talk louder on the cell phone, lol.

TheDoc
09-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks Chris! Those are nice looking tires. When you need your next set are you sticking with the Bighorns?

You find some wheels for your trailer? I hope my post on your WTB thread is not viewed as thread jacking. I'm new to the forum stuff so if I violated any etiquette on that one I'll delete my post. If you get bombarded with offers for 16" 80 series wheels and you get what you need, let them know you know someone looking for wheels.

Thanks!

MountainGoat
09-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Hey Matt! I have run BFG KM and Cooper STT tires on my 80 recently. Prior to that I ran Interco Trxus Muds. The Interco tires do everything extremely well except for tread wear. They are pretty much done at around 30K. The KMs do great off road, but they have to be siped to work on the road in the winter. And they have terrible lateral traction for snow wheeling. I really like the Coopers I have on now, although I haven't driven them in the snow yet.

I have the Duratracs on one of my 4Runners and they are great. They have taken everything I've thrown at them, but I haven't run them in the snow yet either. I haven't read a bad review on either the Duratracs or STTs as far as winter driving, so I would think either of these would be great. The MTRs are just too damn pricey for me.

smslavin
09-08-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm a huge of fan of Nitto's Trail Grapplers. They handle pavement (wet or dry) well albeit with a bit of a hum and they are fantastic in the dirt. I've done a 5 tire rotation with them every 5k and I'm close to 40k on them. There's probably another 10-15k left in them. No issues with them in the snow.

Something slightly less aggressive, but just as capable, are the Terra Grapplers. A little better manners on pavement but definitely no slouch in the dirt. I'll be throwing a set on my wife's Sequoia in the next month or so.

Corbet
09-08-2013, 08:46 PM
The only weak point of the Duratrac is the sidewall IMO. They are very thin but despite that there have not been too many reports of failure. I have a set studded for winter use.

I have been happy with my Generals (red labels) but I don't run them in the winter. They are sticky on the rocks and quiet on the HWY for what they are. Sidewalls are very stout. Weak points would be tread wear & winter.

Previously I had the Nitto TG's which were good year round. I'd buy those again for a year round application. Plus they are available in a 295 which gives you just a little more without the drawbacks to 315's.

I had BFG AT's on my 60 and hated them.

TonkaToy
09-08-2013, 10:37 PM
I've always been a fan of mud tires, running KM2s on the 40 now, but on road ice/snow, no bueno! Then, I found out about siping and I'm a huge fan. Solved my on road issues, even helps with rain driving. It really helps those things grab that Moab slick rock too!
I bought some Cooper Discoverer AT's for my latest project but they are brand new and I've never driven them before. If they don't give me what I need, I won't hesitate to have those suckers siped too! I've been told it reduces mileage but its not a daily driver so that's not a concern for me.

jps8460
09-08-2013, 10:37 PM
I 2nd the Nitto terragrapplers, I've had them on my 60 for a year now and have no complaints. they are a 50,000 mile tire that has great all terrain and road condition traction.

Inukshuk
09-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Don't forget to search the old tire threads. This has been discussed extensively. (PS. very happy with my duratracs)

Hulk
09-09-2013, 01:03 AM
I have the Cooper STT tires on my 80 and they've been great.

MisledYouth
09-09-2013, 09:07 AM
I've got MT/R Kevlars on my 40, and Duratracs on my 100. I am thoroughly impressed with both tires. If you're going to stay with a 285/75r16, I'd go with the Duratracs. Mine are load range E (10 ply), while my MT/R-K's are load range D (8 ply). I've sufficiently stabbed both sidewalls, and have some good road miles on both sets. Either is a good choice, but I would try the Duratracs first.

Duratracs at Radical Hill
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj589/zacharyfeiler/DSC_9086.jpg (http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/zacharyfeiler/media/DSC_9086.jpg.html)

MT/R-K posing
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj589/zacharyfeiler/40.jpg (http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/zacharyfeiler/media/40.jpg.html)

Caribou Sandstorm
09-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks Chris! Those are nice looking tires. When you need your next set are you sticking with the Bighorns?

You find some wheels for your trailer? I hope my post on your WTB thread is not viewed as thread jacking. I'm new to the forum stuff so if I violated any etiquette on that one I'll delete my post. If you get bombarded with offers for 16" 80 series wheels and you get what you need, let them know you know someone looking for wheels.

Thanks!

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Rising Sun forum, also! No worries on posting here, we are a bit more laid back than some other sites.

I am good on wheels, we were able to find a hub adapter to go from 5 on 5 to 5 on 150mm, so able to use 2 100 series wheels to match my LC. Thanks Tim for breaking up your set!!

Also, I am actually sticking with the Bighorns again. Since I need 2 trailer wheels and I want them to match, so I only carry one spare, I am buying 3 new Bighorns and with new spare will have 4 new tires.

Kind of thinking of having the inner tread siped. I think that makes them wear a bit faster but might make a real difference in the snow.

Rzeppa
09-09-2013, 07:07 PM
I ran 33 x 10.5 BFG M/Ts and M/T KMs on all my Land Cruisers for years and years, and they were fine as long as you siped them. No siping and you will have major scary issues in ice, snow and even wet pavement. I tore a sidewall pretty bad on Hackett Rock some years ago, but other than that they were good tires as long as they were siped.

When they came out with the KM2s and I needed new tires for my 60 I started looking around and a lot of people were saying good things about the Duratracs. I put a set of 285/75R16s on and couldn't be more pleased. They do great in snow, ice and wet pavement, stick like crazy glue on the rocks, go fine in mud and are surprisingly quiet on the highway for how aggressive the tread is.

When I first got them I was unsure about the sidewall, they really seem to bulge more than I am used to, and at first I was a bit afraid to air them down much. I have had them on for over a year and a half and have learned that they aren't "thin" just flexy, and that's a good thing. Better traction and fuel economy. But they aren't thin or weak compared to other tires that don't bulge as much, it's all in their high-tech rubber compound. I air down to 17 PSI now and have wheeled the snot out of them, never had any issues with sidewalls. In fact, my rims haven't even gotten as dinged up as the rims have when I ran the BFGs.

AxleIke
09-09-2013, 11:17 PM
The only weak point of the Duratrac is the sidewall IMO. They are very thin but despite that there have not been too many reports of failure. I have a set studded for winter use.

I have been happy with my Generals (red labels) but I don't run them in the winter. They are sticky on the rocks and quiet on the HWY for what they are. Sidewalls are very stout. Weak points would be tread wear & winter.

Previously I had the Nitto TG's which were good year round. I'd buy those again for a year round application. Plus they are available in a 295 which gives you just a little more without the drawbacks to 315's.

I had BFG AT's on my 60 and hated them.

What size are you running? I had always thought that they were all thin, 2ply stuff, but then someone on Expo showed a set of em in the 285 range and they were 3 ply. Someone said below that size they were only 2. No idea if any of that is true. Just curious.

Inukshuk
09-09-2013, 11:30 PM
When I first got them I was unsure about the sidewall, they really seem to bulge more than I am used to, and at first I was a bit afraid to air them down much. I have had them on for over a year and a half and have learned that they aren't "thin" just flexy, and that's a good thing. Better traction and fuel economy. But they aren't thin or weak compared to other tires that don't bulge as much, it's all in their high-tech rubber compound. I air down to 17 PSI now and have wheeled the snot out of them, never had any issues with sidewalls. In fact, my rims haven't even gotten as dinged up as the rims have when I ran the BFGs.

After the Ouray trip and major rocks on Tincup Pass I can't even hardly see a scuff mark on my Duratrac sidewalls. Only sidewall I ever cut was to a nearly new Nitto TG on Chicken Corners.

TheDoc
09-10-2013, 01:49 AM
I am really appreciating all the comments. My tire purchase will likely exceed $1200... especially if I buy a matching spare. So, this is an important decision.

Seems like the following are all respected tires:
Duratracs
General "Red Label"Grabbers
Nitto "TG" -- I assume we are talking Trail Grappler M/T not Terra Grappler AT
Cooper STT

Guess I'll just have to get one of each ;)

Decisions, decisions... Just need a new set by 10/19 for the spooky run.

Thanks everyone!

Corbet
09-10-2013, 08:56 AM
What size are you running? I had always thought that they were all thin, 2ply stuff, but then someone on Expo showed a set of em in the 285 range and they were 3 ply. Someone said below that size they were only 2. No idea if any of that is true. Just curious.

Mine are 315's. They are "E" rated. I can't speak for other sizes personally. Mine felt extremely thin when I got them. (ordered from Summit Racing). When I had them mounted the tire tech even committed they seemed super thin in the sidewall for what they are. Later I spoke with a local GoodYear dealer down here. They had quit selling them to the oil & gas guys as they had so many sidewall failures locally. Personally all this does not matter to me. Mine only see the HWY for the most part as they have studs for winter use.

Corbet
09-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Nitto "TG" -- I assume we are talking Trail Grappler M/T not Terra Grappler AT

I was talking about the Terra Grappler and I believe most others are too. The Trail Grappler is much newer in the line and not many in the club have run them yet to my knowledge. The folks I know with them like the tire though.

rockrod
09-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I traded a guy for my old set of 315 KM2s for a set of 285 coopers. I couldn't be happier. I have wheeled the coopers 3 times now and they have worked great. They ride great and are very quiet. The km2s did not.

smslavin
09-10-2013, 10:00 AM
I was talking about the Terra Grappler and I believe most others are too. The Trail Grappler is much newer in the line and not many in the club have run them yet to my knowledge. The folks I know with them like the tire though.

I have the Trail version. Absolutely love them. Wifey will bet getting Terras on the Sequoia in about a month.

nakman
09-10-2013, 12:39 PM
I think Nitto Trail Grappler will be my next tire. Currently running Duratracs, which are the best tire I've ever had on snowy I-70 conditions. But alas yes, I did rip a sidewall on one wheeling. We'll see what else comes out in the next couple years though, as mine are essentially new.

And we should always have at least one active tire thread, thanks for posting! :cheers:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I think Nitto Trail Grappler will be my next tire. Currently running Duratracs, which are the best tire I've ever had on snowy I-70 conditions. But alas yes, I did rip a sidewall on one wheeling. We'll see what else comes out in the next couple years though, as mine are essentially new.

And we should always have at least one active tire thread, thanks for posting! :cheers:

That is a nice tire Tim.

If you had 17 inch rims you could get it in a 34" and the width is under 12".

That is almost the height of a 315 at a half inch narrower.

I keep thinking a 17" rim is the way to go, down the road. For just this reason.

AxleIke
09-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Mine are 315's. They are "E" rated. I can't speak for other sizes personally. Mine felt extremely thin when I got them. (ordered from Summit Racing). When I had them mounted the tire tech even committed they seemed super thin in the sidewall for what they are. Later I spoke with a local GoodYear dealer down here. They had quit selling them to the oil & gas guys as they had so many sidewall failures locally. Personally all this does not matter to me. Mine only see the HWY for the most part as they have studs for winter use.

Good to know! I had considered them before I got a great deal on my current tires, so I never looked further. I'll keep that in mind for future use.

drtire
09-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I;m new but I design tires and wheels. the tire side is full of compromises. the duratrac is what is called a tweener tire. not a mud and not an AT. cooper has one, procomp, and goodyear that's about it. for durability I take the trxus MT any day works as advertised I know I helped design it. it is now built by STA and not denmen. so it will last longer but .... just a little longer. compromise is the key. you must balance your needs to performance. the duratrac is probably the best for you but folks have found out weak sidewalls. the Interco Trxus MT out performs it with the exception of mileage. so you have to make the decision. there are reasons why each tire works but that isn't what is important. its what is important to you. any feel free to ask.
has anyone seen the birddog wheel?

drtire
09-10-2013, 05:46 PM
I am new to your form. that being said I am a registered member so I can gather information on tires and wheels. because that is what I do for Interco tire co. go to the Interco tire web site or facebook and look up Birddog wheels. that is a product created by the needs of people like you. this a rare occurrence to have an actual representative of a tire/wheel company listen to the people that use it's products. the Birddog wheel is a prime example of what can happen if a company listens to its users. so at any time you see the need or just have a question. i'll do my best to answer it.
in the mean time keep your wheels down and top up, good wheeling.
Dennis Franklin

CardinalFJ60
09-10-2013, 05:50 PM
The only weak point of the Duratrac is the sidewall IMO. They are very thin but despite that there have not been too many reports of failure. .

I don't run these, but I'll tell you, I've seen sidewall and tread puncture 100% of the time when wheelin' with a fellow 60 owner who has them in 16". (OK, 2 runs...but both times) I'm sure it's coincidence as most I've talked to love them.

but wait...how many sidewall punctures/failures have you guys have with Duratracs compared with your other tires? (knocking on wood...I've never had a puncture with my BFGs)

I've been running BFG ATs and MT (km2). the only reason I moved away from the AT was one time, in MT they loaded up so much mud it was crazy!...like an inch off the tread!:eek: I've been happy with the KM2s. That said...the ATs for me were GREAT for on/off road duty and worked well for me in the snow. (as they get older, they get much worse in the snow/cold)

Corbet
09-10-2013, 06:12 PM
I am new to your form. that being said I am a registered member so I can gather information on tires and wheels. because that is what I do for Interco tire co.

I want a 36"x11.5"R16 MT type tire with a stout sidewall and at least 21/32" of tread with a decent tread life (better than TrXus) If nothing like that appears my next set of tires will be toyo MT's

simps80
09-10-2013, 06:20 PM
but wait...how many sidewall punctures/failures have you guys have with Duratracs compared with your other tires? (knocking on wood...I've never had a puncture with my BFGs)

i haven't pierced a sidewall with my duratracs, but I have noticed they don't need aired down a lot...

I've seen people on mud complain about this with duratracs and the one's that I remember that have been serious about investigating it had D load rated tires instead of the 10-ply E rated tires...

I'm sure there's plenty of E rated duratracs that have been punctured though..

its a compromise, but one worth it in my book for the performance in winter driving.

Fishy
09-10-2013, 07:56 PM
I've been very happy with the Trail Grapplers. I did cut one sidewall, but it actually didn't rip all the way through and still held air. They've taken a pretty good beating and held up well. You can see a lot of marks/rubs on them that held strong. My BFG's chunked really bad where these do not.

I'm going to sipe them in a few weeks in preparation for winter though.

nakman
09-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Welcome drtire.. my experience with Trxus MT was they wheeled great, and were fun in deep snow. But they wouldn't balance well, wore fast, and were very loud. Had to put close to a pound of weight on a couple of them, even rotate the rim inside the tire a couple times to balance out the high spots..

I went from Trxus to Toyos and gave up some of the offroad grip action, also likely lost a little snowy road traction. But they actually balanced and rolled well, which was a huge upgrade. At the time I swore I'd never get Trxus again, because they balanced so poorly. this was probably 6 years ago, has anything changed?

And I don't get what you guys are saying about E rated being stronger- my Duratracs are E-rated and it says right on the sidewall there's 2 ply. Yes, the tire I ripped was E rated.

Fishy
09-10-2013, 08:12 PM
And I don't get what you guys are saying about E rated being stronger- my Duratracs are E-rated and it says right on the sidewall there's 2 ply. Yes, the tire I ripped was E rated.

^^Same

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/coflytyer/D7K_1984_zpsfb9805fc.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/coflytyer/media/D7K_1984_zpsfb9805fc.jpg.html)

simps80
09-10-2013, 08:14 PM

10 ply is a rating..E equals 10 ply. A rating of strength and load capacity..not actually number of plys.
So your e rated 10ply are stronger than the 8 ply d rated tires.

"
Ply ratings identify the load carrying capabilities of a tire in terms of plies. Ply rating originally referred to the number of cotton layers used to strengthen a tire's casing. Today, when tires are labeled 10-ply, they are not actually constructed of 10 individual layers of cotton, but offer the equivalent strength. Passenger tires are currently constructed from one or two body plies, while light truck tires consist of two to three, or one steel ply. Over time, steel ply and radial construction replaced cotton leading to a new distinction, load range."

nakman
09-10-2013, 08:18 PM
10 ply is a rating..E equals 10 ply. A rating of strength and load capacity..not actually number of plys.
So your e rated 10ply are stronger than the 8 ply d rated tires.

"
Ply ratings identify the load carrying capabilities of a tire in terms of plies. Ply rating originally referred to the number of cotton layers used to strengthen a tire's casing. Today, when tires are labeled 10-ply, they are not actually constructed of 10 individual layers of cotton, but offer the equivalent strength. Passenger tires are currently constructed from one or two body plies, while light truck tires consist of two to three, or one steel ply. Over time, steel ply and radial construction replaced cotton leading to a new distinction, load range."

So what does the ply=2 info on the sidewall mean? 2 layers of 5 each? :confused:

Ok, read it again. So 10 ply doesn't actual imply 10 ply.. just more than 8. thanks for clearing that up! :)

Caribou Sandstorm
09-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Good readin' right here!

I like tires and tire stuff... I could read about tires and Sceptor/Nato cans all day long..

CardinalFJ60
09-10-2013, 11:43 PM
:thumb: Oh sorry, back to tires...

nakman
09-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Bummer. Was hoping for more than the "seagull" response from Interco... Thought this could have turned into something. Guess not?

nakman
06-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Ok I am off to the tire store, unless something better has come around I'm going to get a set of Trail Grapplers.. after tearing my 2nd sidewall I am officially done with the DuraTracs. I will miss how nice the ride is, hoping the Nittos won't be too much louder. But flat tires are a drag on the trail, and ripping 2 now means it's more than a fluke.

Fishy
06-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Ok I am off to the tire store, unless something better has come around I'm going to get a set of Trail Grapplers.. after tearing my 2nd sidewall I am officially done with the DuraTracs. I will miss how nice the ride is, hoping the Nittos won't be too much louder. But flat tires are a drag on the trail, and ripping 2 now means it's more than a fluke.

They get louder as they wear and they require pretty frequent rotations, but I'm happy with the Trail Grapplers. I'd like to get a little more mileage out of them, but they are pretty soft so that doesn't help with long term wear.

simps80
06-19-2014, 04:52 PM

at least it wasn't a step or a tail light or a rocker panel
:D
:eek:
:bolt:

nakman
06-19-2014, 11:12 PM
at least it wasn't a step or a tail light or a rocker panel
:D
:eek:
:bolt:

Thankfully, I am armored up pretty good. Spring Creek tested just about everything I've bolted onto my rig, including both bumpers, both sliders, all 3 skid plates, heck I even used the winch. I was struggling to remember the last time I needed a winch in the summer :o. But a couple of those slams were pretty good, my lower A-arms, skid plates, swaybar links, even driveshaft and pinion looked like I drove through a war zone.

Doesn't excuse the flat though! :mad:

nakman
06-19-2014, 11:15 PM
They get louder as they wear and they require pretty frequent rotations, but I'm happy with the Trail Grapplers. I'd like to get a little more mileage out of them, but they are pretty soft so that doesn't help with long term wear.

Did you sipe them?

LARGEONE
06-20-2014, 07:32 AM

My MTZs have been great for tear resistance, but they look like they have been through hell. They are chunked, scraped, etc. I have never worried about them getting torn...I think they are "3 ply" or 4? They are now REALLY loud and nearly impossible to balance with all the chunks.

I'll be interested to hear what you decide, Tim, because this is definitely the last season on my tires.

Corbet
06-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Thought I'd post in with my new Toyo MT's

I'm 3000 miles into them now after just 30 days. Yah I drive a lot. I've had one replace due to a "Radial Pull" defect. I've rotated them 3 times already. Honestly only one combo had me driving straight. The tire that has been on the truck the longest is already down 3/32" in tread.

So all and all I'm really not happy with these tires. Road noise is fine and traction is great. But unless they get harder as they wear I'm looking at only 20K in life and that could be only 6 months for me. :eek: At this point I can't ever see buying them again nor recommending them to anyone.

My last set the Red Label Generals drove straight as an arrow and I got around 35K out of them despite having 4/32" less rubber to begin with.

LARGEONE
06-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Good to know Corbet. I've always liked I those tires, but they cost a lot and I've heard they are really heavy! Rolling weight doesn't help my super-fast 80! Can you comment on the rolling weight "power" loss?

Corbet
06-20-2014, 09:01 PM
They are only 14.4 oz heavier per tire over my old General Grabbers, I did not notice the increase :lmao:

When I'd change from my Generals to my Duratracs for winter I could never notice the difference.

Jacket
06-21-2014, 08:42 AM
I guess this is our latest tire thread?

I just picked up a set of these a few weeks ago.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/21/e4eby7e3.jpg

Cooper ST Maxx (http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T-MAXX.aspx). I'm coming off a set of STT's that were old, loud and unbalanced, so at this point almost anything would be an improvement. The balance is good, the tires are quiet such that I can hear my drivetrain whine again, and they've got the beefy carcass underneath that you get with all the MT Cooper tires (3 ply sidewall), with a balanced tread pattern good for road or trail. These fall somewhere between the STT and the traditional ST.

Once I get a few thousand miles and some trail time, I'll give some more feedback.

LARGEONE
06-21-2014, 04:18 PM

I really love how quiet the Duratrac tires were on my truck. I like the look. I like the snow, wet performance. I just can't get past the sidewall stuff. It is quite telling if the oil&gas guys have moved away from them, and Nakman's experience on two tires adds to this.

I was behind Nakman on the trail, and where his tire blew up, there was absolutely nothing sharp. It was almost as if the tire was cut earlier on the trail, and then when it flexed over the next rock section it blew. We looked everywhere around where the inside of his tire would have rolled and there was nothing sharp.

I think I'm going to have to pass on the Duratracs for now. Maybe they will get the feedback and start to beef up their sidewalls?!

DaveInDenver
06-21-2014, 10:51 PM
the Birddog wheel is a prime example of what can happen if a company listens to its users. so at any time you see the need or just have a question. i'll do my best to answer it.
More choices in narrow tires, 33x9.50x15 and 30x9.50x15! I use BFG ATs, which I like just fine but they are the only ones making tires that work with my old narrow, small rims. It would be nice to have more options.

Rzeppa
06-22-2014, 01:37 AM
Hugh Phillips at Safari told me that the oil and gas guys out there on the Western Slope reported getting 70k on their Duratracs. I know I have had great experience (so far, knock on rubber) on mine. I have around 20k on mine and haven't even been able to measure any wear with calipers. :shrugs:

Squishy!
06-22-2014, 02:57 PM
My brother-in-law has gotten about 15k so far on his Duratracs (on a 95 Taco) and is about 1/2 through already. I'm still a believer in the Nitto stuff. I loved my Terra Grapplers.

Corbet
06-22-2014, 07:11 PM
My Duratracs have been wearing great. I have 4 winters on them and for me that's probably 40K. But I have sidewall cuts from parallel parking in town.:roll eyes: No flats yet though. I should get one maybe two more winters out of them. And I'll have no problem buying another set for winter use.

nakman
06-22-2014, 07:47 PM
If I were just going skiing and to the mall, there's no question I'd keep running the Duratracs.. hands down best I-70 tire I've ever run. Not so good in sharp rocks.

Corbet
06-22-2014, 08:02 PM
I agree Tim, couldn't you keep them for just that and have a 2nd set of wheels/tires for summer/wheeling?

nakman
06-22-2014, 11:28 PM
i had to trade the three good ones back, those paid for one of the new Nittos. I don't think i want the project of swapping either, just too much hassle imo over here in the city

rover67
06-23-2014, 10:28 AM
If I were just going skiing and to the mall, there's no question I'd keep running the Duratracs.. hands down best I-70 tire I've ever run. Not so good in sharp rocks.

Crazy that you can just push the sidewall in like that with three fingers. must be pretty thin...

Corbet
06-23-2014, 11:15 AM
They are crazy thin. Like 3-4mm from memory. It's been a while since mine got mounted. But it's definitely the most flexible sidewall I've ever felt on a tire. Including passenger car tires. It's literally like a downhill MTB tire.

nakman
10-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Score another one for the Duratracs.. this one from yesterday's SNR prerun. I think that makes 3 in just over a year from this club? In case anyone's keeping track.. :rolleyes:

Corbet
10-13-2014, 11:34 PM
I think I've personally seen two sidewall cuts this year on Dave Kaiser's 80 alone :rolleyes:

nakman
10-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Geez, really? So that's..

Tim 2
Dave 2
Bruce 1

Ok, no longer going to endorse these to anyone who actually wants to drive on rocks.

Rock Dog
10-14-2014, 01:31 AM

Tim 2
Dave 2
Bruce 1

Ok, no longer going to endorse these to anyone who actually wants to drive on rocks.

I think you made a good choice Tim, i have been running the Nitto Tera Grapplers for 3 years, and they have been great.. there was a worn out set on the 80 when i bought it (I believe Christo put them on), so i went with them again when it was time for new ones..

bh4rnnr
10-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Tim 2
Dave 2
Bruce 1

Sean Boland had one during last weeks Outlaws Run.

MountainGoat
10-14-2014, 08:00 AM
So all the Duratrac failures to date are on LC wagons (60, 80 or 100), right? I have them on my 4Runner and they have been great so far ... :eek:

Blindranger
10-14-2014, 09:35 AM
How low of a PSI was everyone running them when they failed? Seems like if the sidewalls are relatively soft/weak that the lower PSI you wheel at the greater risk to pinch failures on rocks.

pmccumber
10-14-2014, 10:59 AM
My friend Jim and I wheeled Left Hand Canyon last year, his first trip, popped his Duratrac. It was a sidewall cut driving his 80. My Toyo MTs are absolute beasts but they are damn heavy. They wear extremely well and stay balanced but man they are heavy and not very efficient.

FJBRADY
10-14-2014, 11:21 AM
X2 on the Toyos....abused them on Sat and no issues, 15lbs fwiw.

I have had several types of MT tires and they have all been 3ply without any punctures to date.

60wag
10-14-2014, 02:08 PM
The tire was at about 18psi. I don't think it was a pinch but more of a pointy rock that put too much pressure on the sidewall as I drove past it. It does shake my confidence in the tires and made me over-think every little rock I drove over after the flat. I'll likely run the remaining 4 tires until another one let's me down.

Corbet
10-14-2014, 02:13 PM
I'll repeat again what a local tire dealer told me down here year ago. He quit selling Duratrac's to any oil/gas service truck operators shortly after the tire was released. Too many side wall failures.

Down here the Nitto and Toyo rule the desert on 10,000lb service trucks.

rover67
10-14-2014, 02:51 PM
The tire was at about 18psi. I don't think it was a pinch but more of a pointy rock that put too much pressure on the sidewall as I drove past it. It does shake my confidence in the tires and made me over-think every little rock I drove over after the flat. I'll likely run the remaining 4 tires until another one let's me down.

Our conversation cursed you.

Inukshuk
10-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Sean Boland had one during last weeks Outlaws Run.

To clarify, Sean's was a tread puncture/tear as opposed to sidewall.

I have had a piece of truck chain through a tread block, caused a slow leak, fixed at discount tire.

I had a nail that did not go all the way through (found it at the Rally).

My sidewalls are holding up well after 2 years, 25,000 miles, 2 CM's, Outlaws, Cruiserfest, Cruiserfest pre-run, many weekends. Less than 50% treadwear.

I often air down to 17 lbs on my 80.

nakman
10-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Oh yeah, Sean punctured another sidewall years ago out at Blue Notch Canyon.. a little piece of Tamarisk poked through, remember? Ok I've lost count now.

When both of mine failed I was at about 24psi, which is what I wheel at generally.. wouldn't ever go below 20 with all the weight I carry.

Rzeppa
10-15-2014, 12:35 AM
I'll repeat again what a local tire dealer told me down here year ago. He quit selling Duratrac's to any oil/gas service truck operators shortly after the tire was released. Too many side wall failures.

Down here the Nitto and Toyo rule the desert on 10,000lb service trucks.

Interestingly, when I was at Hugh's shop a couple years ago and he saw my Duratracs, he said (unsolicited) that the oil and gas guys were reporting 70k miles on the Duratracs on their pickup trucks.

Rzeppa
10-15-2014, 12:41 AM
My sidewalls are holding up well after 2 years, 25,000 miles, 2 CM's, Outlaws, Cruiserfest, Cruiserfest pre-run, many weekends. Less than 50% treadwear.

I often air down to 17 lbs on my 80.

Knock on wood, mine are holding up fine after 2 Cruise Moabs, 2 Post Rally Bill Moore Lake runs, 2 Slaughterhouse Gulch BOWAGW , Barbour Fork and a bunch of stuff I'm not remembering at the moment. My Stauns are set to 17 PSI.

I have torn up the sidewall unrepairably of two BFG MTs.

The Duratracs are (of course) WAY better at 80 MPH on the highway, much quieter and precise than MTs, and so far have done better on snowpacked and icy roads.

I have around 20k miles on mine and they are at well over 50% left. I also do a 5 tire rotation so that always helps with the wear. The rationale for that is the Lock Right in back.

Jacket
11-18-2014, 02:08 PM
We have a bunch of tire threads, but this is the newest, so...

A win for the Coopers in the "light AT challenge."

http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

The AT3 seems like a less aggressive version of the ST, but with otherwise similar construction and better road manners. ST Maxx and STT have the 3 ply sidewall and heavy duty off road protection.