PDA

View Full Version : 40 Factory(?) Chrome Package Info

Crash
09-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Anyone know any specifics of the chrome package offered for the 40 series back in the day? Someone at the '13 RS Rally suggested that it was maybe a port installed option but I'd like to know more. Our 40 has a chrome front bumper, bezel and tow hooks and I'm wondering if chrome bumperettes may have been part of the package along with anything else.
Thanks!

subzali
09-11-2013, 03:36 PM
I think your friend Commander Lee has a factory chrome package. You should call him. IIRC the bumperettes would have been included and I think it was shown in factory literature so not necessarily port-installed option. I forget what year is the earliest.

subzali
09-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Looks like Ige had a factory chrome 71:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/443526-chrome-bezel.html

SteveH
09-11-2013, 05:18 PM
My 1980 FJ40 had what appeared to be factory, chrome-plated running boards. The bezel was also plated, as were the bumperettes. The OEM front bumper was gone, so I cannot speculate on that.

Crash
09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
My 1980 FJ40 had what appeared to be factory, chrome-plated running boards. The bezel was also plated, as were the bumperettes. The OEM front bumper was gone, so I cannot speculate on that.

Chrome running boards - haven't seen that as a part of the "official" package before. Thanks!! The bumperettes that came with our truck had been painted black so maybe looking under the paint wouldn't be a bad idea as it seems chrome bumperettes seem to be a part of the package.

rover67
09-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Chrome running boards - haven't seen that as a part of the "official" package before. Thanks!! The bumperettes that came with our truck had been painted black so maybe looking under the paint wouldn't be a bad idea as it seems chrome bumperettes seem to be a part of the package.

oven cleaner!

nuclearlemon
09-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Looks like Ige had a factory chrome 71:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/443526-chrome-bezel.html

yep, my first cruiser. chrome front bumper, bezel, and bumperettes. been a couple decades plus, so hard to remember and i got rid of the chrome. i looked in my pics and don't have any, but somewhere there's a pic that my buddy marcus took of my rig a couple years before we met and i think i still have the chrome bumper and bezel on in it

Rzeppa
09-12-2013, 09:49 AM
My recollection is that this was called the "LX" trim package. Josh Boltrek has it on his 40 IIRC. They were primarily sent to non-USA markets, and I believe the JDM got most of them.

SteveH
09-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Sadly, my running boards and bumperettes had just enough rust on them (creeping under the chrome) that I had them blasted and painted. I would have left them alone if they had been salvagable. I'm not a chrome fan, anyway. I had never seen factory chromed running boards, either.

subzali
09-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Middle eastern markets got tons of chrome

nuclearlemon
09-12-2013, 12:35 PM
I thought lx was later JDM (79+). I was always told the chrome packages (at least on early ones ...might mine was a 71) was a dealer option, but then most Toyota dealers always complimented my jeep when I rolled up.

Mid/later 70s must've been fact option because I've seen literature with chrome.

Rzeppa
09-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Sadly, my running boards and bumperettes had just enough rust on them (creeping under the chrome) that I had them blasted and painted. I would have left them alone if they had been salvagable. I'm not a chrome fan, anyway. I had never seen factory chromed running boards, either.

"Chrome don't get you home"...Mark Whatley