PDA

View Full Version : Old40dogs Diesel Conversion Project

Old40Dog
09-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Theres always a lot of discussion about how to justify the expense of a diesel swap. Well, my plan has been to build a truck that I can drive until they wont let me drive anymore. I tend to keep my vehicles until I cant justify repairing them anymore. Mileage improvement,

Those who have known me for a while know that I bought my 1992 FJ80 with a current 308K on the clock and its 3FnE with a diesel swap in mind. Actually its 3FE with around 150K on it is from Treys FJ62 into which he did a nice V8 swap. I initially thought Id swap in a 1HDT then a 1HZ and add a turbo, but I kept running into the same issue. $7-$10K for a donor motor that Id still need sink another couple of grand into the rebuild. The result would be a sweet set-up, but just a little too pricey for my budget and taste.

At Cruise Moab, I spoke with a fellow from Portland who had swapped an Isuzu 3.9L Turbo Diesel into his FJ60 and was very pleased with the results. It was a clean conversion and was much quieter than another 60 on the run that day running a 4BT Cummins. It was suggested that I check out
Longbows (Don in Tucson) diesel conversion thread on Ih8mud. Don was so happy with the results with the Isuzu swap into his 60 that he did one in his 40 and is planning still another swap into his wifes 80.

The Isuzu 4BD2T is a 4 cylinder indirect injection intercooled turbo diesel with a Bore x Stroke 102 mm x 118 mm Displacement: 3,856 cc (235.3 cu in). Horsepower is 100kw (135 SAE Gross HP) at 3,000rpm, torque is 345Nm (255 Ft-lbs SAE) at 2000rpm. The 1FZ-FE produces 212 horsepower (158 kW) at 4600 RPM and 275 pound-feet (373 Nm) at 3000 RPM. Ill use an adapter to a A442F Toyota automatic transmission with a modified torque converter.

Im expecting this swap too take some time as I expect to be able to work on the project only in spurts as time and funds will drive the schedule. The donor vehicle is at my office in Denver (near I-25 & CO) and Ill remove the engine and necessary other items there and do the work on the 80 in Evergreen. If youre curious enough to want to hang out to observe or to lend a hand, all are welcome. Ill post up here as things progress. The next several weeks are already committed to some work travel and of course the Outlaw Run. I expect to get started on removing the engine from the Isuzu in late October/early November.

Pics of the Isuzu NPR (GMC badge) Donor and the FJ80 Recipient.

Fishy
09-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Subscribed! Very cool Dave, looking forward to all the updates.

Rzeppa
09-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Let us know whenever you have a slice of time that needs extra helping hands Dave, I'll be up there right away.

Inukshuk
09-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Can't wait to feel refreshing air conditioned camp you will have

Old40Dog
09-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Can't wait to feel refreshing air conditioned camp you will have

You could build a bunch of bunks in that box! :eek:

Old40Dog
09-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Let us know whenever you have a slice of time that needs extra helping hands Dave, I'll be up there right away.

Thanks for the offer Jeff!

OilHammer
09-14-2013, 01:29 PM
there is a thread on mud right now where the guy is rebuilding one. Very good info on that read. In my opinion, this is the way to go if you gotta swap. Having parts easy and in the states is a huge plus. Be sure to verify the dmv will let you do a heavy duty motor though

Old40Dog
09-14-2013, 08:58 PM
there is a thread on mud right now where the guy is rebuilding one. Very good info on that read. In my opinion, this is the way to go if you gotta swap. Having parts easy and in the states is a huge plus. Be sure to verify the dmv will let you do a heavy duty motor though

Pretty much my conclusions after 2 years of researching this conversion. Is this the rebuild thread (http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/702121-isuzu-4bd1t-lexus-lx450-land-cruiser-build.html) posted by Wheelingnoob your referring to?

The 6BD1T is the HD 6 cylinder version of the 4BD1/2T and is definitely a heavy duty diesel. Its used in the much bigger FSR. The NPR's have GVWRs from 12K-14K GVWR so they are borderline on being HD size, but appear to be getting through on conversions in the less than 14K category.

Old40Dog
09-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Here's a pic of the donor 3.9L diesel in the NPR. First one is turbo side.

OilHammer
09-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Pretty much my conclusions after 2 years of researching this conversion. Is this the rebuild thread (http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/702121-isuzu-4bd1t-lexus-lx450-land-cruiser-build.html) posted by Wheelingnoob your referring to?

The 6BD1T is the HD 6 cylinder version of the 4BD1/2T and is definitely a heavy duty diesel. Its used in the much bigger FSR. The NPR's have GVWRs from 12K-14K GVWR so they are borderline on being HD size, but appear to be getting through on conversions in the less than 14K category.

Correct, wheelingnoob.

Corbet
09-16-2013, 08:18 AM
you might want to check out this thread too: http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/268941-isuzu-4he1tc-into-fj62.html

Old40Dog
09-16-2013, 09:03 AM
you might want to check out this thread too: http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/268941-isuzu-4he1tc-into-fj62.html

Thanks Corbet! I've seen this thread but hadn't explored it very much. Looks like a good resource. I'm in communication with Longbow on Mud who lives in Tucson and is currently working on his 3rd Isuzu Diesel swap (62, 40 and now 80) in hopes to connect with him while in AZ next week to see his work first hand.

Old40Dog
09-18-2013, 10:55 AM

So I was at the Evergreen DMV office today to get the title for the Isuzu and asked about the process for changing my title on the 80 from Gas to Diesel. The supervisor said "Just bring it in when you're done and we'll have a Deputy do a VIN verification and then do a change from Gas to Diesel on your title. You'll be subject to annual emissions testing instead of bi-annual testing you currently have on your gas titled vehicle."

So it looks like if fits (know that's not a problem) and passes emissions (better after complete rebuild), should be good to go.

Old40Dog
10-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Okay guys! Need some help to remove the refrigerated box which has been sold. Plan is to cut the 6 U bolts and then jack it up several inches, place on blocks and pull the truck out.

Need about 5 guys with HiLifts. Plan to do on Sunday, October 20 at 2 PM. Truck is located near I-25 & CO Blvd. Estimate about 2 hours. Post up here if you can help out. Thanks!

nattybumppo
10-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Sounds dangerous. I'm in. Remind me when it gets closer...

OilHammer
10-07-2013, 10:56 AM
I agree with that!
Have you considered unbolting it and just sliding it right onto the back of a flat bed tow truck? I can't think of any scenario "on blocks" where I would want to be standing near it.
The other option I would consider, would be calling Machinery Express. Ask for Greg and tell him what you are doing. He's a pro rigger, and a great guy. If he's down this way anyway, he could make quick SAFE work of that removal for you.

bigcity25
10-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Subscribed, I'll be around that morning and live in Lowry. I can give you a hand if you need it still. Blocks are gonna be pretty unstable, I like the flatbed idea.

Corbet
10-07-2013, 08:28 PM
new thread on MUD popped up http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/777531-isuzu-4bd1-t-swap-into-92-a.html

Old40Dog
10-09-2013, 02:27 PM
new thread on MUD popped up http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/777531-isuzu-4bd1-t-swap-into-92-a.html

Thanks Corbet! Answered a question I had about the tranny/torque converter combo for the adapter.

Old40Dog
10-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Reefer Box comes off tomorrow. Could us 1-2 more helping hands.

Sunday, October 20 at 2 PM. Truck is located near I-25 & CO Blvd. Estimate about 2 hours. Bring your Hi-Lift.

Thanks! Dave

Shotshell
10-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Refrigerator box is disassembled.:thumb:

Old40Dog
10-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks to Sascha, Jeff and Travis! We Got-R-Dun!

bigcity25
10-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Glad we got it done before the rain really came down. Looking forward to see it all finished.

Shotshell
10-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to see the finished product.:thumb:

Old40Dog
10-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Reefer box loaded on rollback and down the road.:wav:

Now on to removing the diesel from the NPR!

Old40Dog
11-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Looking to pull the engine & transmission from the NPR on Friday, November 29 (weather permitting). Truck is located at 4101 E. Wesley Avenue, Denver (near I-25 & CO Blvd). Start around 9 AM. Will post more details as we get closer. All hands appreciated! :clap:

Old40Dog
11-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Just received the engine-transmission adapter, flywheel, starter and remote oil filter kit. They are heavy suckers! I'm getting anxious to get started! :D

Bellhousing adapter is Aluminum, Billet forged steel flywheel, 4130 Steel Flexplate, Aluminum remote oil filter mounting and starter.

Get Outside
11-15-2013, 10:09 PM
You have no idea how jealous I am right now! Have the NPR swap running in my head for a couple years now and am glad many others are going the same route! More info to be shared when the time comes.

Keep it up!

Rzeppa
11-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Have the NPR swap running in my head for a couple years now...

Okay, I guess I'm ignorant. Besides National Public Radio, what does NPR stand for? :confused:

Old40Dog
11-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Okay, I guess I'm ignorant. Besides National Public Radio, what does NPR stand for? :confused:

:lmao: The Isuzu N-Series are a range of light/medium duty cabover trucks. They gained popularity in urban areas because of their shorter wheelbase and greater maneuverability. General Motors, having a controlling share of Isuzu, produces its own models of the N-Series and distributes them under its Chevrolet and GMC brands. I have a GMC version.

The N-Series is divided into the NPR, NRR, and NQR models. The NPR is available with GM's 6.0 liter Vortec gas V8 engine, a rarity in the market. NPR and NQR models are also available in a crew cab configuration with seating for seven. The N-Series models are best described by their Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings ranging from 12,000 - 19,500 lbs.

Jeff, if you're not too busy on the Friday the 29th, we'll be removing the diesel engine from my NPR. :wrench: :eek: It's down the hill at my office location.

Get Outside
11-18-2013, 07:41 PM
:lmao: The Isuzu N-Series are a range of light/medium duty cabover trucks. They gained popularity in urban areas because of their shorter wheelbase and greater maneuverability. General Motors, having a controlling share of Isuzu, produces its own models of the N-Series and distributes them under its Chevrolet and GMC brands. I have a GMC version.

The N-Series is divided into the NPR, NRR, and NQR models. The NPR is available with GM's 6.0 liter Vortec gas V8 engine, a rarity in the market. NPR and NQR models are also available in a crew cab configuration with seating for seven. The N-Series models are best described by their Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings ranging from 12,000 - 19,500

Wow!!! That's one great answer! Way more than I would be able to provide!

Rzeppa
11-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Jeff, if you're not too busy on the Friday the 29th, we'll be removing the diesel engine from my NPR. :wrench: :eek: It's down the hill at my office location.

My weekday availability is not so good unless I close my store. I am open M-F 10-6 and Saturday Noon-5. Hopefully things will pick up to the point where I can justify hiring some help but for now it's just me. I plan to close the store for Cruise Moab unless I have gotten to where I have staff by then. I have been working 7 days a week since August.

Old40Dog
11-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Wow!!! That's one great answer! Way more than I would be able to provide!

This conversion has been on mind for quite some time too. The GM parts availability played a big part in my decision.

My weekday availability is not so good unless I close my store. I am open M-F 10-6 and Saturday Noon-5. Hopefully things will pick up to the point where I can justify hiring some help but for now it's just me. I plan to close the store for Cruise Moab unless I have gotten to where I have staff by then. I have been working 7 days a week since August.

Understood! Was just givin' you some crap. :blah:

Woodsman
11-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Great to see that this project is progressing. Had I been closer, I would have take that truck box from you to build a small lumber dry kiln.

One note, GM sold their share of Isuzu when the economy took a dump and they were scrounging for cash to stay afloat. Soon thereafter, a near-same size chunk of Isuzu was purchased by another company we are all familiar with . . . Toyota. Hopefully, this means Toyota has additional resources and technology to make small diesels a reality in the USA . . . but I'm not holding my breath.

Old40Dog
11-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Great to see that this project is progressing. Had I been closer, I would have take that truck box from you to build a small lumber dry kiln.

One note, GM sold their share of Isuzu when the economy took a dump and they were scrounging for cash to stay afloat. Soon thereafter, a near-same size chunk of Isuzu was purchased by another company we are all familiar with . . . Toyota. Hopefully, this means Toyota has additional resources and technology to make small diesels a reality in the USA . . . but I'm not holding my breath.

Ahh...yes! Part of the GM bail-out that the taxpayers are about to come up $10 billion short on when the treasury unloads the rest of its GM stock next week. :cheers: I just heard about that earlier today on the financial news.

Would that make it Toysuzu? Or might it be Isuzota? :hill:

Get Outside
11-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Would that make it Toysuzu? Or might it be Isuzota? :hill:[/QUOTE]

Funny you say that! It reminded me just yesterday I was messing with my truck at work and somebody came along joking that Toyota and Chevrolet had joined forces and working on a new name "toylet". :lmao: I thought it was pretty funny!

Old40Dog
11-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Diesel's out!

Old40Dog
12-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Pic #1, started the engine tear-down Sunday. Pic #2 is after removal of the turbo and exhaust manifold. Pic #3 is other side. I'll remove the injector pump tomorrow and finish tear-down this weekend. Goal is to get it to the machine shop early next week.

Hulk
01-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Do you need to take this to a special machine shop for diesels, or will just about any machine shop be able to work on this?

Old40Dog
01-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Do you need to take this to a special machine shop for diesels, or will just about any machine shop be able to work on this?

Planning to talk to Gunn today to see if they're interested or at leat get a referral from them. They've been closed the last week.

Bad news yesterday, removed head and found a crack in it. Sourcing a reman now.

simps80
01-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Mountain High Performance on Ward Road that some people recommend for toyota work now mainly do diesel work...isuzu diesel ? not sure but according to Bill there, most their work is now diesel engine work.

OilHammer
01-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Wow...there's some sexy shots on their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/MountainHighPerformance

Old40Dog
01-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks for bring up MHP. I talked with MHP & Gunn and I think I'm going to have Gunn do the machine work. Mountain High Performance seems to be really focused on modifying Cummins, Powerstroke and Durmax diesels for high performance. I'm more focused on keeping the Isuzu 4BD2 pretty much in stock form looking for longevity.

DanS
01-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks for bring up MHP. I talked with MHP & Gunn and I think I'm going to have Gunn do the machine work. Mountain High Performance seems to be really focused on modifying Cummins, Powerstroke and Durmax diesels for high performance. I'm more focused on keeping the Isuzu 4BD2 pretty much in stock form looking for longevity.

I have no experience with Gunn.

But Mountain High Performance has worked on Toyota Diesels for me, roughly a year ago I had them do the machining and valve seat replacement, etc... on the 3B head.

Dan

Old40Dog
01-05-2014, 08:30 AM
I have no experience with Gunn.

But Mountain High Performance has worked on Toyota Diesels for me, roughly a year ago I had them do the machining and valve seat replacement, etc... on the 3B head.

Dan

Thanks for the feedback Dan!

Since I've had to buy a remanufactured head (I bought one with the valves already loaded) so there's very little machine work left. Block needs cleaning, cylinder liners replaced and honed. Hopefully that's it!

calphi27
10-09-2014, 12:26 PM
What's the word on the project? Any updates?

Old40Dog
10-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Thanks for checking in. Kinda "stalled" at the moment. Been replacing the roof on the house. Will get back to this project by winter.