PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Trailer and Expedition Theme for the Oct. Meeting

JadeRunner
09-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Bring your off-road trailers and expedition equipment to the Stevenson parking lot on Wed. 10/2/13. Share you cool mods and latest equipment with others before and after the meeting which starts at 7:30. If we have a good showing and interest we might decide to start the meeting a little late.

Chris Davis came up with this plan and Tim and I thought it was a fine idea. Thanks Chris. :thumb:

Inukshuk
09-25-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm so there! :lmao: (Photo Credit: wesintl)

OilHammer
09-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Take that off any sweet jumps?

Fishy
09-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Great idea. I'll be on a family expo..... I'll check in remotely from Telluride.

A Rising Sun Trasharoo
ARB Fridge
Hot Water Shower
Camp Chair
Custom Gamiviti Rack

That's my expo list. I'm a minimalist and I just sleep in the back.
Well..... and the fact that trailers cost $3k+ and really fancy popups are
$15k+

Maybe the only thing I'm minimal on is money :(

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/coflytyer/D7K_2001_zps62bc1aae.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/coflytyer/media/D7K_2001_zps62bc1aae.jpg.html)

Caribou Sandstorm
09-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Cool! Thanks for posting this Scott! Stan nice pick, is that en-route to Top of the world?

Thought this might be a fun way to congregate before the meeting, see what different mods guys have done to their expo/hunting trailers and get inspiration for our own ideas/plans for mods..

Dave Kaiser and Drew have some really well thought out trailers.

I will bring mine and Dave mentioned that he was willing to bring his, as he is loaded and ready for the Outlaws run. Maybe there are others that are also loaded for the Outlaws run and want to show off their gear, wheel barrels :)!! Hoping Drew can make the meeting and bring his, also.

Maybe Ken will be able to bring his, as well? Anyone else???

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Off-road-trailer-Ruger/i-SKPht5p/0/L/IMG_0671%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Romer
09-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Maybe Ken will be able to bring his, as well? Anyone else???

Mine is tucked away in the garage, getting it out takes a few minutes, putting it back by myself takes some time and not wanting to do that after a meeting at night.

You can enjoy the pictures in this thread to see what I have including my recent expansion with an Oztent

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/393822-my-goldilocks-trailer-kimberley-kamper.html

Fishy
09-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Since I can't make it on Wednesday, I'll post my questions/concerns. I had been set on a RTT and that gradually morphed into saving for a expo style trailer with a RTT on top (Just like yours Chris)..... However, We've been toying with the idea of a entry level offroad pop up lately now. (E1, Jayco Baja type) It ends up being roughly the same price as a trailer/RTT. Less capable off road, but much more convenient.

The thing that deters me from the trailer with mounted RTT is that it's so low to the ground that an annex room won't work. We like the idea of having that extra room to store some gear, let the dog have her own bed area, change clothes etc. I was on the Koko this year with a guy who built a trailer from a kit. The tent was mounted up high, but could be lowered if needed. It was a neat setup, pretty affordable considering and very capable offroad. This is the article about the trailer on our trip.
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/review/dinoot-offroad-trailer-review-53728.html

Anyone else have the same concerns? I guess a big eating/gathering tent right out in front of the trailer/RTT would serve the same purpose as a big annex.

Romer
09-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Having had all of those options and knowing you have young kids, the pop-up will be much better for you with a family.

shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you some more info

smslavin
09-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Bring your off-road trailers and expedition equipment to the Stevenson parking lot on Wed. 10/2/13. Share you cool mods and latest equipment with others before and after the meeting which starts at 7:30.

This is perfect timing. I've been burying myself in info the past couple of weeks as I prepare to sell the FJ and move to something else. This is on my calendar and I have no kid stuff downtown that night so I'll be there.

nakman
09-26-2013, 11:17 AM
This is the article about the trailer on our trip.
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/review/dinoot-offroad-trailer-review-53728.html

Anyone else have the same concerns? I guess a big eating/gathering tent right out in front of the trailer/RTT would serve the same purpose as a big annex.

Gotta love that Lock N Roll hitch!

Not sure I will be able to drag my beast out for this, but love the idea.. I run the modified popup setup, here's the "build thread" http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17804

Stan my opinion is the younger the kids, and/or the worse the weather, than the better the popup gets. There's something about being able to just go inside & play games or cook mac & cheese or go to bed. Or being able to get up in the morning and hang out where it's warm & comfy. If we're going to be at the same place for 2+ nights, particularly if we want to bring a bunch of toys, we like the popup. One example is our daughter was 4 months old at Area BFE when Cruise Moab was there. I had a daily project of refreshing propane & batteries, but in the end she slept great every night in a warm pack & play with no blankets. I think it was low 20's at night, we had to scrape ice off the windshield to go wheel.

The best thing about any trailer is being able to unhook the darn thing. I wouldn't want to actually wheel one though, particularly one of any significant weight or length. But I'm ok with dragging it through hell if it means we get to set up at a sweet site for awhile. My bottom line is trailers are all about setting up & hanging out with conveniences of comfort, stereos, multiple cooking options, etc. and bringing a ton of crap with you. We love to camp this way sometimes- we bring bikes, motorcycles, Estes rockets, kites, RC cars, squirt guns, you name it.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=30604&stc=1&d=1349231547

I could see as the kids get older & the bikes get bigger converting our utility trailer to more like what Josh built up, i.e. the RTT on top of moto space. The :Princess: really likes sleeping in the RTT, and I'm coming around to enjoying that style of camping as well (a lot more living out of the back of the truck, a lot less "moving in" to your camper or tent.)

As for RTTon the truck, it's a project to bolt the thing on and take it off again... plus there went all my roof rack space (no more Thule box for guitars, no more 10x10, etc.) However setup/tear down is a snap, and it's great for sleeping (not much else). My bottom line is RTT's are all about just getting through the night and on with your day, with a minimal amount of junk to move in transition. We love to camp like this too-

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=33789&stc=1&d=1373996401

I've yet to experience a hybrid trailer/RTT, so maybe I'm missing out on the benefit? My naive opinion is I feel they combine the worst of each- all the joys of towing a trailer, with all the joys of not having a camper when you get there. But they sure look cool.. I'm not ruling it out and am open to the idea, look forward to seeing more about it next week! I could easily come around.

Caribou Sandstorm
09-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Tim, well said on all points.

My wife loves our RTT, as well. I am slow to break camp, as most know and with having the RTT on top of the LC, I feel like I am always rushing to close everything back up. Plus, we have soo much crap stuffed into the LC when we go as a family. So it will be nice, when applicable, to set up camp and drive away with ease.

I have figured out a pretty fast way to mount it on our Gamavitti rack though, wratch-it wrench makes quick work of those tedious turns..

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Canyonlands-Needles-District/i-r8wJzC2/0/L/IMG_1364-L.jpg

I wanted a pop-up but price wise could not swing what I wanted this year and also needed a utility trailer.

Stan for that changing room, I know what you mean, I have one but can't use when RTT is on the trailer. I pitch our stand up REI tent. Also the smaller RTTs don't fit the entire family, so Ben and I sleep in the tent and the girls get the RTT..

I don't think there is a one size fits all to these needs, kind of seems like needs change as Tim said, kids get older and you have more toys...

I am not sure about that hitch thing. Letting the trailer roll over vs. having it ride on one wheel till the feature is past seems better, of course that is assuming you are going super slow... I know Dave K mentioned his trailer did a complete 360 flip once and landed right side up. That would have been a sight to see.

Many of the expo trailers have the telescoping arms also, so you can raise the RTT/awning when you get there and lower when traveling.

One option is what Tim has done also but in a more aggressive trailer (i.e. lighter/higher clearance) Ruger Trailer is fabbing up a high clearance larger platform at his shop right now and when I saw it, I thought wow, you could buy an affordable used pop-up and drop it on this trailer. Steve makes them to any size. Might take some convincing though, he is very conservative about what he is willing to sell you in a rough platform.

Some day that might be my next move, I have wanted a hard sided or hybrid trailer for winter ski camping and can't afford what I like. Might be able to find something older and drop it on one of these trailers.

Expo Portal has a killer sub category for this stuff and a great photo thread of expo trailers..

Fishy
09-26-2013, 01:11 PM
^ Great stuff fellas. We've been back and forth on what to do. I almost dropped $2k on a RTT last year, I'm glad I waited. It's not out of the question by any means, especially if I can pick up a used one at a decent price.

We kinda figured my wife and the twins in the RTT and Keagan and I in the tent or the back of the truck. I've got a Zodi shower system and a nice shower/bathroom shelter. That setup works pretty good.

There have been a few popups in the 3-5k range that look like they'd fit the bill. Add my shower setup and I think a three day outing with the kids is very doable.

I've been out with Jonathan Harris a bunch, his Adrenaline Trailer is the real deal and then some..... But at $20k for a new one, I could buy another 100 with a trailer attached, RTT on top, interior gutted for gear and have someone follow me around wherever I go.

Romer
09-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Jon's trailer is almost identical to my Kimberley

With small kids you will want a kitchen table and separate beds and some room to spread out to make the experience better. I really liked my Jayco Baja for what it was. It could do mild offroading and had plenty of room, plus you could stock the fridge and cupboards without poping the top, just opening the small door

Rezarf
09-26-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm in, so are we gonna do this right and cook and show off in the parking lot before hand or what?

Rezarf
09-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Mine is tucked away in the garage, getting it out takes a few minutes, putting it back by myself takes some time and not wanting to do that after a meeting at night.

Lame... :blah:

I'll buy you a nice cigar to crawl around in your Kimberly Ken! :thumb:

Rezarf
09-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Gotta love that Lock N Roll hitch!

Not sure I will be able to drag my beast out for this, but love the idea.. I run the modified popup setup, here's the "build thread" http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17804

Stan my opinion is the younger the kids, and/or the worse the weather, than the better the popup gets. There's something about being able to just go inside & play games or cook mac & cheese or go to bed. Or being able to get up in the morning and hang out where it's warm & comfy. If we're going to be at the same place for 2+ nights, particularly if we want to bring a bunch of toys, we like the popup. One example is our daughter was 4 months old at Area BFE when Cruise Moab was there. I had a daily project of refreshing propane & batteries, but in the end she slept great every night in a warm pack & play with no blankets. I think it was low 20's at night, we had to scrape ice off the windshield to go wheel.

The best thing about any trailer is being able to unhook the darn thing. I wouldn't want to actually wheel one though, particularly one of any significant weight or length. But I'm ok with dragging it through hell if it means we get to set up at a sweet site for awhile. My bottom line is trailers are all about setting up & hanging out with conveniences of comfort, stereos, multiple cooking options, etc. and bringing a ton of crap with you. We love to camp this way sometimes- we bring bikes, motorcycles, Estes rockets, kites, RC cars, squirt guns, you name it.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=30604&stc=1&d=1349231547

I could see as the kids get older & the bikes get bigger converting our utility trailer to more like what Josh built up, i.e. the RTT on top of moto space. The :Princess: really likes sleeping in the RTT, and I'm coming around to enjoying that style of camping as well (a lot more living out of the back of the truck, a lot less "moving in" to your camper or tent.)

As for RTTon the truck, it's a project to bolt the thing on and take it off again... plus there went all my roof rack space (no more Thule box for guitars, no more 10x10, etc.) However setup/tear down is a snap, and it's great for sleeping (not much else). My bottom line is RTT's are all about just getting through the night and on with your day, with a minimal amount of junk to move in transition. We love to camp like this too-

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=33789&stc=1&d=1373996401

I've yet to experience a hybrid trailer/RTT, so maybe I'm missing out on the benefit? My naive opinion is I feel they combine the worst of each- all the joys of towing a trailer, with all the joys of not having a camper when you get there. But they sure look cool.. I'm not ruling it out and am open to the idea, look forward to seeing more about it next week! I could easily come around.

Bring it Tim! I want to see yours all popped up. Then we can trade for a weekend and know for sure which is best for our families (though I think I know already).

Trailers= you live around them. Pop up Campers= you live in them. :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
09-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm in, so are we gonna do this right and cook and show off in the parking lot before hand or what?

Awesome! You are the man! I'll fire up some Brauts in the parking lot fo sho!

What time should we roll up, 6pm?

Romer
09-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Has anyone asked Stevenson what they think about us deploying our campers and cooking in their parking lot. Not sure I would be happy about it if I were them.

Showing up with them is one thing

Caribou Sandstorm
09-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Has anyone asked Stevenson what they think about us deploying our campers and cooking in their parking lot. Not sure I would be happy about it if I were them.

Showing up with them is one thing

Yep I figured I would check with Scott and see if one of us could call Stevenson.

OilHammer
09-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Just hang a sign on the side of your romerplex that says "End of year SALE!"
They'll be fine :)

nakman
09-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Yeah a cookout is starting to cross the line a bit, good call. I will call Stevenson and verify.. they've got a dirt lot they put snow into, maybe we could park there? it was an alternate option for the Jack-It/Recovery night, but we thought too small for what we wanted to do at those. But would be fine for this. I don't think we want to up and move the meeting though. let me see what I can work out, will try get a hold of Derek tomorrow.

Chris as for the Lock & Roll comment, you don't want your hitch to be the reason your trailer flopped or didn't flop. If you're putting that much side load on a standard trailer hitch, it's going to bend the trailer end of the setup, or possibly snap the ball off. Either way, you could really be SOL at that point, particularly if you're way out in in the Maze or something. If things are really that sketch, then get some spotters with straps or something, bounce the trailer over to a better line, or rig up something on your own if alone. or take a different line altogether. But a hitch with virtually unlimited articulation is a good thing.

The other benefit is, there's no forward/back movement, so no clunking when going up and down little dips. Just a more solid, more fluid connection.

nakman
09-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Lame... :blah:

X2! drag out the camper, Ken! :D

Romer
09-26-2013, 09:03 PM

The Kamper is nice and comfy where it is. Your welcome to come visit it:D

Rezarf
09-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Well, I'll hold off on the cookout till we get a green light, no biggie either way, just a thought.

Rezarf
09-26-2013, 10:12 PM

Someone help the old man out and move his hot rod so he can get the camper out. I nearly bought that busted Kimberly on expo a few years ago, but since I'd never seen one up close, I passed.

Ken, all the cool kids are doing it:thumb::cool:

Romer
09-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Someone help the old man out and move his hot rod so he can get the camper out. I nearly bought that busted Kimberly on expo a few years ago, but since I'd never seen one up close, I passed.

Ken, all the cool kids are doing it:thumb::cool:

Christo bought it and I believe he is selling it if he hasnt already

The link I posted should show you everything you need to know

Plan a trailer trip and I will bring it

Rezarf
09-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Christo bought it and I believe he is selling it if he hasnt already

The link I posted should show you everything you need to know

Plan a trailer trip and I will bring it

Okay, I'll back off :thumb:

Rezarf
09-30-2013, 09:11 AM
What time should we show up? I'm guessing dinner is out, but what time should we head there and be set up? Thanks!

Rezarf
09-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Wow, I just read your KK thread Ken, that is even cooler than I thought. Are there really only about 25 in the US? I didn't know that. I should have jumped on the KK that was on ExPo a few years ago that had the damage. I think it was being let go for about 8k or something.

Am I making it up or did you have a stripped down KK at one time? More of a base model? I thought I saw one at a Rally one year. Maybe I am dreaming.

I would love to see an Tvan someday up close and personal, I think it is the best of both worlds, with a hard shell and expanded living space.

Romer
09-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Wow, I just read your KK thread Ken, that is even cooler than I thought. Are there really only about 25 in the US? I didn't know that. I should have jumped on the KK that was on ExPo a few years ago that had the damage. I think it was being let go for about 8k or something.

Am I making it up or did you have a stripped down KK at one time? More of a base model? I thought I saw one at a Rally one year. Maybe I am dreaming.

I would love to see an Tvan someday up close and personal, I think it is the best of both worlds, with a hard shell and expanded living space.

Thanks Drew

There are between 25-30

I had a Jayco Pop-up, then an Adventure Trailer before getting this. The condition of the trailer when I bought it is what is shown in the first posts before I modified it. Not sure what stripped down means, but I think you were dreaming

nakman
10-01-2013, 10:20 AM
What time should we show up? I'm guessing dinner is out, but what time should we head there and be set up? Thanks!

I spoke with Derek @ Stevenson. Show up at 6:30. Set up as far east as possible... other end of the lot from that first corner where we typically tend to congregate. Few key points:

- If you're going to deploy any stabilizer jacks, be sure to put a board down underneath them. Do not damage the pavement.
- Don't block any cars, don't box anyone in. and don't block any driveways.

Beyond that, no problem setting up a display at Stevenson before our meeting, we'll see you tomorrow.

JadeRunner
10-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks Tim. I just spoke to Derek also. Looks like we are on the same page as long as we don't block any employee cars or access to the parking pad access near the building.

wesintl
10-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Tim, did stevinson move?

Romer
10-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Tim, did stevinson move?

Thats the map for Stevenson lexus :rolleyes:

nakman
10-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Dag gum. ok fixed it, feel free to post a better one.

Rezarf
10-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Far east of their lot is lower left in the pic correct?

Romer
10-01-2013, 12:34 PM
lower right, front of building faces mountains

MountainGoat
10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Are non off road trailers welcome? We just got a new A frame hard side pop up that I can bring down if anyone is interested in checking it out. Don't want to drag it down if there's no interest, though. :hill:

nakman
10-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Dan I would totally like to see that if you don't mind bringing it... curious how big they feel inside, how quiet it is, how fast to set up, etc.

MountainGoat
10-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Dan I would totally like to see that if you don't mind bringing it... curious how big they feel inside, how quiet it is, how fast to set up, etc.

Alright, you're on. :D

Caribou Sandstorm
10-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Alright, you're on. :D

I would like to see it also, those are cool Dan, you can use in all 4 seasons!

nuclearlemon
10-01-2013, 06:06 PM
so are there only going to be expedition trailers, or vehicles set up for expedition also?

Caribou Sandstorm
10-01-2013, 06:34 PM
I hope both! Ige, I would like to see your RTT up close....:D

subzali
10-02-2013, 03:14 PM
I'll bring my tent...:D