PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Doodle Lake Project

Rzeppa
08-26-2006, 05:08 PM
What an awesome club we have! We got all the posts set and cable run today. Bill has actual headcount, but it looked like we probably had at least 15-20 from Rising Sun, maybe more. Everyone was spread out over several different work areas, so headcount was tough. There were even some j**pers who were doing a trail run who stopped to help us out for a while. Besides Brian Rasmussen, there were two other Forest Service guys; they seemed pretty impressed with the amount of work that we accomplished.

Kevin Ehrlick and Mike Davidson helped out huge with their big pickups, and Kevin had a huge trailer too. He said we hauled 9600 pounds of concrete up there, in addition to the posts, cable and all the implements of destruction. Actually, Kevin hauled all the concrete. Thats 120 eighty pound bags on three pallets. Yikes!

Between Bill, Kevin, Brian Noble and the Forest Service guys, alone with other Rising Sun members, the organization was outstanding and work got done fast. The weather started out cold and rainy, then cleared up, then a huge thunderstorm came by at around 11:00, then it left and we pretty much got it done before then next storm rolled over the ridge. I didn't get any photos, but it looked like Mike and Perry were shooting some. Unfortunately, no press showed up. Oh well, at least when the Sierra Club shows up to plant trees and shrubs they'll be able to see what we accomplished.

Happy cruisin'!

Romer
08-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Great day today. Rachel and I and her friend Dillon got there about 7:45 and most of the folks were in Nakmans camper having breakfast. It stopped raining about 8:30 and we started working at about 9. We got pretty efficient getting the posts in. Everyone worked pretty hard. We finally left at about 4:30-5 after the rangers talk thanking us.

Hats off to Bill, Mike D. and Kevin E. for leading the charge here for us. The mile-hi Jeep club stopped by in force to help us and that was cool.

about noon or so a Hail storm came in and Kevin, Dan, Mike and I were working the lower section. We decided to get those posts done before the concrete bags got soaked and did that whole section of posts (Holes already done) in record time.

Pictures
Bruce getting ready to start work.
Dan standing in front of his "tent"
Spooling the cable, and yes thats Perry "Mohawk"

Romer
08-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh, and of course Tim in fornt of the Nakman Hotel:D

Kenon698
08-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Great job!!! It makes me proud to be a member of such a hard working club.:cheers: :thumb:

nakman
08-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Learned a new use for a hi-lift, cable spool support. Such a fun time and we got lots done in a hurry, thanks again everyone for coming up to help, and especially Bill for pulling this together. Was too busy yesterday slingin' bags of concrete from Uncle B's dumptruck to take any pictures, but here's one of Treeroot cooking breakfast in the rain.. :0

Shark Bait
08-27-2006, 10:09 AM
We had a blast yesterday. Very impressive turnout.

Did anyone find an orange jacket left up there? Jeanette left hers, we think over by Bill's camp. Please let us know.

nuclearlemon
08-27-2006, 10:36 AM
bills got the jacket chris. also a pair of gloves that were under them.

i got there about five, only to find out everything was done. a few of us hung out and drank beer, and kevin, mike and i bugged out about 7:30. took an hour and a half to get to the junction at the bottom of the trail. somewhere fifteen miles away, people are thinking it's the end of the world after hearing mikes trailer bang, clatter, bash, thud, clunk it's way down the trail :D

Shark Bait
08-27-2006, 10:49 AM
bills got the jacket chris. also a pair of gloves that were under them.

Cool. Thanks ige. As we meandered down the trail towards home we kept an eye out. Didn't want to crash into you head on, racing up to the work site. :D

Bill, please bring the jacket and gloves to the meeting. I expect to be there.

wesintl
08-27-2006, 11:56 AM
That was a great project and an impressive turnout

I brought the camera but didn't take any pics :(

I've also added a category to the Gallery for this. The past couple outings i've uploaded all my photos in about 3-4 seperate 3-5 meg zip files and it's worked nicely. Only upload one zip file at a time.

Romer
08-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Here are a couple of good pics from Arloguthrojeep from coloardo4x4.org. He stayed and helped us all day. Really nice guy. I can't remember his name though.

http://www.arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/Jenny-Creek-8-26-06/Weberized/P8260227.jpg

http://www.arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/Jenny-Creek-8-26-06/Weberized/P8260229.jpg
http://www.arlojeep.com/Trip-Reports/Jenny-Creek-8-26-06/Weberized/P8260221.jpg

Romer
08-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Here is Rachel, her friend Dillon and Mike next to his new GMC in the morning just after the rain stopped. Mike had layed out the work plan on his window.

Shark Bait
08-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Here are some of my pics:

Convert
08-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Had a great time Thanks for the burgers and beers Nakman / Treeroot. I am very impressed with the work ethic of this club, the turn out for this project was amazing. Good job to all :risingsun

Three Wheel Ben
08-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks everybody for coming and making everything go so easy. Thanks Tim as always for the use of your grill. Very cool of the hobo jeep guys to stop by and help. Looked very nice when we left.

ben:thumb:

bh4rnnr
08-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Had a lot of fun yesterday, thanks Bill for getting this going:thumb: . Left in the morning to rain, stopped by a train for about 25 minutes just before the trail head to Rollins Pass Brian joined me there. Once a little higher in Elevation, it cleared up. We got to Yankee Doodle Lake to see the clouds breaking up. Once we started working on the project, blue sky was comming and two of the peaks in the distance had fresh snow:D . Worked all day. Amazed at how much we got done:thumb: . Will wait to post pics till I here from Mike. Thanks again all who showed up:thumb: :beer: :beer: .

Oh, and thanks Mike for that crappy :beer: at the end of the day. Worst :beer: ever! I think everybody that tried it had the bitter beer face:eek: .

treerootCO
08-27-2006, 09:01 PM
I am going through my pics now. I just woke up:D

Kipper
08-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Bravo guys, great job! I really wish I could have made it.

treerootCO
08-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Has anyone stepped up to write an article for TT?

1,2,3...not it :D Between Perry and I, we should have plenty of pics.

The GMC and trailer are not "N" gauge, that is for sure:eek:

Shark Bait
08-27-2006, 09:51 PM
If someone can whip up an article for Colorado High Trails, the deadline for the next issue is tomorrow, 8/28! I think I can get the email address to submit the story and pics.

Red_Chili
08-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Well, if being written about in a Longmont paper makes you famous… We're famous.
http://www.longmontfyi.com/region-story.asp?ID=9516

Nice little story.

I got the jacket Chris. Dang, it was nice too. Thought maybe for once I was headed home with something extra instead of something missing...:lmao:

But why did you go and join Trail Ridge Runners? Hmmm???

Uncle Ben
08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
{“It takes one careless act from someone who doesn’t care to make us look bad. And we don’t like that,” said Trail Ridge member Chris Hatfield, who will assist with this weekend’s Rollins Pass project.}

Folks.....we have a trader in our midst! :lmao: :lmao: :rolleyes: :hill:

Red_Chili
08-28-2006, 12:56 PM
LOL! I'm glad the TRRs got a good mention. They have definitely set a high standard in the district and I for one would feel self-conscious about coming across like we were the pacesetters. Adam Mehlberg has worked tirelessly to both keep trails open and keep them beautiful.

FJBen
08-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Wished I coulda made it! Awesome work. My friend stayed up there til 5ish I think, Bob was his name, bronze TJ, good guy.

he helped weld for us on the Horsetooth 4 wheelers gate fix on Crystal.

Red_Chili
08-28-2006, 01:37 PM
As most of you know, I am also a model railroader and a Moffat fan. You probably have endured my annoying historical info every stinking time we go over Rollins Pass Road. Well, here is someone who has created a software program that lets you run near-prototypical trains over Rollins Pass:
http://www.silogic.com/SDA/Virtual_D_SL.pdf

On the third page, bottom right, you will see a snow plow train rounding a bend. Several of you have endured my stories about the plow-turning wyes at several locations on Rollins Pass. That picture is close to what it looked like when trains ran there. You may recognize the spot; there are now dispersed campsites to the left and downhill, and the wye is barely visible in the snow proceeding right.

Red_Chili
08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Hmmm... do we have a common interest with the Rollins Pass Restoration Association? The time to strike may just be when the iron is hot...
In general: http://home.comcast.net/~jackpreed/RPRA/RPRA_Home.htm
In particular:
http://home.comcast.net/~jackpreed/RPRA/images/RollinsPass_NL_July_2006.pdf

Shark Bait
08-28-2006, 09:36 PM
I'll trade you for your turbo. :p:

I wish she'd showed up, dammit!! I'm glad we got some press, but journalism just from behind a desk is kind of a shame. :rant:

nakman
08-29-2006, 10:51 AM
My friend stayed up there til 5ish I think, Bob was his name, bronze TJ, good guy.
Yes, thanks Bob (if you're reading this) for all your help! In addition to helping string cable, he was instrumental in spearheading the battery-welding for the shackle on the winch anchor. Good guy, and resourceful.. dude you should get a Cruiser! ;) :D

Hulk
08-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Great work guys! I really wish I could've been there -- I'm glad we had such a strong showing. I'm proud to be a member of this club.

Seldom Seen
08-30-2006, 11:42 PM
The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river. ~Ross Perot

:risingsun

Red_Chili
08-31-2006, 07:51 AM
He keeps quoting weird conservatives who I keep agreeing with...:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :cheers:

RockRash
08-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Wished I coulda made it! Awesome work. My friend stayed up there til 5ish I think, Bob was his name, bronze TJ, good guy.

he helped weld for us on the Horsetooth 4 wheelers gate fix on Crystal.

Yes, thanks Bob (if you're reading this) for all your help! In addition to helping string cable, he was instrumental in spearheading the battery-welding for the shackle on the winch anchor. Good guy, and resourceful.. dude you should get a Cruiser! ;) :D

Thanks.

As you can tell by my membership number, I am now the newest member to this forum (although I have watched it from time to time over the years). As for getting a Cruiser myself, all in good time. I haven't owned a Toyota in several years now, but that will change. Not to mention, I'm getting pretty good at wrenching on Ben's stuff now.

Again, a great project... thanks for organizing it. I am glad that I could be part of it.

BOB

nakman
08-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the forum, Rockrash! and thanks again for your help last Saturday. :cheers: :beer2:

Shark Bait
08-31-2006, 08:49 PM
I got this email from Shelly Surface just tonight. If any of you can write up the story and supply pics I think we can still get it in to High Trails magazine.

darylsurface@comcast.net wrote:
>
> Hi Chris. I am so sorry I didn't read your e-mail in time. I have been living at the hospital most of the time. How did it go? I had told Ige that I would like to attend then a few things went south and I haven't been doing much else but work and hospital. Again, I am sorry but would like to hear about it. Could you maybe do a write up for the newletter and get it to Chris by Saturday? I know short notice but maybe you already thought of that and did it. We love to read about things like that in our newsletter.
>
> Look forward to hearing from you,
>
> Shelly
>
> -------------- Original message --------------
> From: Chris Hatfield <hatfieldcb@yahoo.com>
>
> > Hi Shelly,
> >
> > I was wondering if you wee aware of our Jenny Creek
> > Trail project this Friday and Saturday, August 25 & 26
> > working with the USFS Boulder Ranger District? I'm
> > working on a press release right now and thought I'd
> > see if you had any comment. Maybe you'd like to join
> > us?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Chris Hatfield
> > Rising Sun 4 WD Club of Colorado
>

ArloGuthroJeep
09-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Hey Rising Sun guys:wav:

I was in the red Grand Cherokee up there...

So I know there were some people walking around taking pictures but I haven't seen many - Where are they?

It was great meeting all of you - hope to see some of you out on the trail:cheers:

-Ryan

Rzeppa
09-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Hey Rising Sun guys:wav:

I was in the red Grand Cherokee up there...

So I know there were some people walking around taking pictures but I haven't seen many - Where are they?

It was great meeting all of you - hope to see some of you out on the trail:cheers:

-RyanHey Ryan, welcome to the Rising Sun board! I was the guy in the red FJ45 pickup truck that got stuck in the middle of your convoy on the way to your trailhead ;-)

I suspect many of the photos are being witheld in order to publish them in Toyota Trails (http://tlca.org/trails/), the magazine of the Toyota Land Cruiser Association. No photos that ever see the light of day in public on the web are ever published in the magazine.

Hope to see you on the trail again soon too!

BTW, I like your username. A couple weeks before, we did Bill Moore Lake trail and there was a guy in a disco up there with the following on his custom license plate:

GROUP W

;-)

treerootCO
09-02-2006, 06:19 AM
I got this email from Shelly Surface just tonight. If any of you can write up the story and supply pics I think we can still get it in to High Trails magazine.

Pics
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=17165#post17165

ArloGuthroJeep
09-02-2006, 06:31 AM
Hey Ryan, welcome to the Rising Sun board! I was the guy in the red FJ45 pickup truck that got stuck in the middle of your convoy on the way to your trailhead ;-)

I wasn't with the Jeeps that rode through, I was there all day:p: In fact I was probably the first one up that morning:D

Hulk
09-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Did you guys end up using any of the used winch cable?

Uncle Ben
09-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Did you guys end up using any of the used winch cable?

Nope, all cable was new 3/4" USFS supplied.

FJBen
09-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks.

As you can tell by my membership number, I am now the newest member to this forum (although I have watched it from time to time over the years). As for getting a Cruiser myself, all in good time. I haven't owned a Toyota in several years now, but that will change. Not to mention, I'm getting pretty good at wrenching on Ben's stuff now.

Again, a great project... thanks for organizing it. I am glad that I could be part of it.

BOB

Nice to see ya on here Bob!!! better start acquiring more metric wrenches ;)

Uncle Ben
09-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Mr. Treeroot and I did the Tuesday sneak today and headed up to Yankee Doodle Lake work site under the excuse of we needed follow up pics. If anyone has the opportunity next weekend to go up there go for it as the colors should be peaking out! Seeing how the project looks now the dust is settled makes me very proud to be part of it! The posts are solid, the fence line uniform and the whole project area is very professionally done! While we were there we put the winch anchor to the test also as I had my doubts the rock wouldn't crumble. I can now report that the achor not only held but I was able to drag my 80 about 20 feet uphill with all four tires sliding!!!!!!! Absolutely no signs of epoxy cracking or rocks crumbling! If you don't think that was really a test you don't have the whole scenario properly invisioned in your head! I doubt few of the trees in that area would have held that well! Root will add more when he wakes up and gets to work I'm sure. I have a short vid of Ricecake getting drug by the 12k winch and sliding all 4 but our gallery wont host it. I need to downsize it a tad.....

Long story short....:risingsun :woot: :woot: :clap:

teaser pics....

Uncle Ben
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
:eek: :bowdown:

Convert
09-12-2006, 05:23 PM
UB thanks for the update, I to wondered about the winch point :thumb:

treerootCO
09-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Wes is going to be pissed! :D
It doesn't get any better than wheeling on a Tuesday. :thumb:

It makes me proud to be a part of such a great club and after seeing the first of many projects completed, I can't say enough about the Rising Sun crew! The work area tuned out better than I imagined it would. I was afraid the posts were going to be an eyesore but they seem to blend in very well. For the most part, people are staying to the trail and I didn't see any type of retaliation. The area should recover well.

I can host the winch vid if you need UB. Thanks again for the great day of wheeling, and thank you for the IHOP.

treerootCO
09-12-2006, 08:10 PM
I uploaded the images from today:

http://www.root45.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=45309
password protected so we can use them in TT (hint = sun.....)

wesintl
09-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Wes is going to be pissed! :D
It doesn't get any better than wheeling on a Tues

Glad to see the tradition continue even if I can't be there.

The atmosphere must have been really cold. The sky is an amazing deep blue!

The Area looks great:thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Oh....I should add that the entire trail was very clean yesterday! Two dead water bottles a Bud Light can and a plastic wrapper was all we brought home and yes, we were looking! :thumb: :cool: :cheers:

Red_Chili
05-17-2007, 01:15 PM
So... what would you say if I could conjure up more opportunities like this/

Hmmmmmmm???:bump:

timmbuck2
05-17-2007, 02:13 PM

count me in!! jealous I could not be there last time....

T

corsair23
05-17-2007, 02:39 PM
What Timm said :)

treerootCO
05-17-2007, 03:41 PM

I would say, "heck yes!"

nuclearlemon
05-17-2007, 03:56 PM
count me in!! jealous I could not be there last time....

T

x3

nakman
05-17-2007, 05:00 PM
More of you need to camp out the night before this time.. that was a great time last year, for sure.

Red_Chili
05-18-2007, 09:02 AM
I will have a more worthy camping rig this time... :D

I have an email in to Randy Hickenbottom of the S. Platte RD, Pike NF. We'll see. Something about the Geneva area.

Also, in the BRD, Bunce School needs some post-n-cable before it turns into another Lefthand (before all the rehab :eek: ). It is adopted by another club, but if they needs some hep, what the hey.

Lefthand, of course... but Trail Ridge Runners has that well in hand.

Good things happening with Gilpin County in the Clear Creek RD, and the BRD... that's all I'll say for now!:grinpimp:

Rzeppa
05-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Bill, you ROCK!!!

Uncle Ben
05-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Bill, as usual ..... :bowdown: :bill: :thumb:

Sounds like a RTT shake down to me! :cool: :thumb: :thumb:

nuclearlemon
05-18-2007, 03:18 PM
would the club be interested in having someone who's written requests for grants come and talk? there are a couple of people in the association that have done that and received lots of $$$