PDA

View Full Version : Asphyxiation from sleeping in my Cruiser?

Hulk
10-04-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm headed out on the Outlaws run and I'm set up to sleep in my Cruiser. It's an 80, so it's pretty spacious on the interior. Assuming I sleep 7 hours a night, does anyone know if I need to crack a window? I'd prefer to keep the warm air inside for sleeping, but I also don't want to run out of oxygen.

DaveInDenver
10-04-2013, 11:31 AM
It's pretty unlikely any car, much less an old Cruiser, is air tight enough to asphyxiate you. Think about it, if cars were that airtight you'd get people passing out, especially with a full passenger compartment.

But you will want to open windows if you can (e.g. it's not raining) because it will get really humid inside and the windows will fog. Think back to junior year in high school in the back seat of dad's Impala...

Romer
10-04-2013, 11:34 AM
It's pretty unlikely any car, much less an old Cruiser, is air tight enough to asphyxiate you. Think about it, if cars were that airtight you'd get people passing out, especially with a full passenger compartment.

But you will want to open windows if you can (e.g. it's not raining) because it will get really humid inside and the windows will fog. Think back to junior year in high school in the back seat of dad's Impala...

Matt's Dad had a VW Beetle :D

MountainGoat
10-04-2013, 11:55 AM
I've slept in my 80 on numerous occasions and haven't died from it yet. You will likely want to crack a window or two for air exchange to reduce condensation, unless it's snowing sideways in Wyoming. :hill:

simps80
10-04-2013, 12:20 PM
i made some cheapie window screens for the rear windows of the 80
because sleeping with them closed was just not fun in the morning, everything was wet.
i made them with magnetic strips that were flexible, that worked ok

SteveH
10-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Cracking the sunroof open a bit (flip up mode) might allow a chimney effect to let the condensate out.

I suspect I don't need to mention this, but whatever you do, don't run the engine to keep warm. I found a gentleman (deceased) near Silverton while hunting, who tried that in an '81 Corolla. I wouldn't really wish that experience (of finding such a thing) on anyone. He'd been in the car for 3 weeks when I came across it.

ScaldedDog
10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Another great reason to own an Excursion. More air! :D Actually, I've wondered the same thing, but have lived to tell both times I've tried it.

Mark

Keith
10-04-2013, 06:18 PM
What everyone else said... And if you are going to run a little propane heater or similar, get a cheap, battery-powered CO monitor from Home Depot on your way out of town.

4runner
10-04-2013, 07:02 PM
...., unless it's snowing sideways in Wyoming. :hill:

It did today. :p: