PDA

View Full Version : Too Tall Toy?

tommygun
08-27-2006, 05:49 PM
'72 FJ40, +5" Alcan spring lift, +2" anti-reversal shackles as recommended by spring manufacturer. Driveline angles on the pinions are good, however, the driveline angles off the t-case , while not binding, do seem extreem. Since the lift a vibration has shown up, even with new u-joints from end to end. Is there a constant velocity type u-joint retro fit kit available to lessen the driveline angles off the t-case, or some other fix to eliminate this new found vibration? When I was deciding how high to lift my FJ, I thought if this thing was 5 inches higher it would be just right, hence the +5" springs. Unfortunately, I had only seen FJ40s with worn out flat springs. Had I known what a stock ride height looked like I probably would have only gone +3". Is there a solution using the +5" Alcans or have I gone too tall?

tommygun

wesintl
08-27-2006, 08:48 PM
You can try and find a cv off the front of an early fj60 and swap out some flanges if needed. I've hear of folks using mini cv's too. Or just take it to a local driveline shop and have them put a cv on the case end.

nuclearlemon
08-27-2006, 10:31 PM
cut and turn the front end, reweld rear perches, run cv's at both ends. with 5" springs and extended shackles, you're basically at soa height.