PDA

View Full Version : Friday afternoon music

DaveInDenver
10-11-2013, 05:39 PM
In celebration of my techno-ignorance...

TA5cwBmSWkE

Band: Hungry Kids of Hungary
Song: Wristwatch
Album: Escapades (2011)

Hey

Something that I never thought'd happen to me, I got lost
Get it together, get it together

Oh

Take the back-road to the station
Let it go dont lose your patience
Oh, never try, to understand

Something that I never thought'd happen to me, I got lost
Nobody told you, nobody told you no
What you're trying to find, what you're trying to find, you donít know,
oh-oh-oh

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh
Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh

What you're trying to find, what you're trying to find, you donít know.
oh-oh-oh
oh-oh-oh

Preaching is naught but opinions
Paid for them with fools gold billions
Slurried eyes like drunk g-gardens
Gaze the view black market olives

Jacket
10-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Hippie + Bluegrass = Awesome.

wlpLPdcK8N4

Jacket
10-25-2013, 02:48 PM
It's Pearl Jam week.

VbhsYC4gKy4

DaveInDenver
10-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Wicked, Matt!

Here's their new single.

jWQYYavheUA

smslavin
10-25-2013, 09:46 PM
PaEnaoydUUo

i did just download the latest from naked and famous a few days ago. good stuff.

Jacket
01-17-2014, 02:43 PM
What if Tweedy and Farrar didn't hate each other, and thus Wilco and Son Volt never existed?

0Zizvdbge-s

DaveInDenver
01-17-2014, 04:20 PM
I saw Uncle Tupelo it's got to be a dozen times at least. The first show I saw in the basement of Cicero's in I guess 1990, right before No Depression came out. I still have several old concert shirts around, although they all look terrible and are mostly rags now. A couple of them were very rare even back in the day, like the black one with the opposing fists and the Coffee Creek.

DaveInDenver
01-17-2014, 04:22 PM
A bunch more concert fliers and the cover from their demo tape. I even have some vinyl from back then and early Wilco & Son Volt. We were really into alt.country then, punks like everyone I guess. Like Tweedy described, Merl Haggard meets Black Flag.

Uncle Tupelo -Maggie's Farm (http://www.armbrusterweb.com/public/music/uncletupelo/01%20-%20Maggie%27s%20Farm.mp3)
The Blue Note, Columbia, MO, July 1988

Here's a playlist for all the songs from that bootleg compilation of UT covers from where Maggie's Farm came.

Uncle Tupelo - Covers and Oddities '88 - '93 (http://www.armbrusterweb.com/public/music/uncletupelo_oddities.m3u)

Jacket
01-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Those kick ass Dave. No Depression is just one of those albums that'll never die for me. It's always in the rotation....

Jacket
03-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Classic good ****. Borderline NSFW.

1kAIMlISHhU

DaveInDenver
03-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Love the MTV-approved black bars, wouldn't want to oh-ffend sensibilities.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1500/ac84d/products/930/images/1999/Parental_Advisory_%2528Explicit_Content%2529__97581.1325549433.400.400.jpg

DaveInDenver
03-07-2014, 03:14 PM
6bMM61Y5CEU

Shriekback
Nemesis
Oil & Gold (1985)

In a jungle of the senses
Tinkerbell and Jack the ripper
Love has no meaning, not where they come from
But we know pleasure is not that simple
Very little fruit is forbidden
Sometimes we wobble, sometimes we're strong
But you know evil is an exact science
Being carefully correctly wrong

Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home
Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

We feel like Greeks, we feel like Romans
Centaurs and monkeys just cluster round us
We drink elixirs that we refine
From the juices of the dying
We are no monsters, we're moral people
And yet we have the strength to do this
This is the splendor of our achievement
Call in the air strike with a poison kiss

How bad it gets, you can't imagine
The burning wax, the breath of reptiles
God is not mocked, he owns our business
Karma could take us at any moment
Cover him up, I think we're finished
You know it's never been so exotic
But I don't know, my dreams are visions
We could still end up with the great big fishes

Jacket
03-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Creepy.

DaveInDenver
03-07-2014, 03:33 PM
More from the 1980s odd protest-y file.

pPHDQLuZaGo

Time Zone (in this case Afrika Bambaataa played with Johnny Rotten)
World Destruction

2DzKnd8fovQ

Red Rockers
Eve of Destruction
Schizoprenic Circus (1984)

Sure it's a cover, but I like this song. :-) Even though it was written in 1965 now 49 years on it still seems true.

DaveInDenver
03-07-2014, 03:40 PM
For Dean.

Not Safe For Work

9FCT2SDacpU

The Dickies
Eve of Destruction

DaveInDenver
05-30-2014, 04:23 PM
RIP Poly Styrene, you're missed.

ZKaxfc03Fqk

X-ray Spex
The Day The World Turned Day-Glo
Germfree Adolescents (1978)

I clambered over mounds and mounds of polystyrene foam
Then fell into a swimming pool filled with fairy snow

And watched the world turn day-glo
You know, you know the world turned day-glo, you know

I wrenched the nylon curtains back as far as they would go
Then peered through perspex window panes at the acrylic road

I drove my polypropylene car on wheels of sponge
Then pulled into a wimpy bar to have a rubber bun

The x-rays were penetrating through the latex breeze
Synthetic fiber see-through leaves fell from the rayon trees

Crash
05-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Seeing/hearing Victor Wooten at the Boulder Theater tonight. Hope we don't get flooded out!

kurtnkegger
05-30-2014, 05:24 PM
RIP Poly Styrene, you're missed.

Sounds like Blondie, and Johnny Rotten were fused. :bowdown:

DaveInDenver
05-30-2014, 06:52 PM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_meimheq3OV1qdnki4o1_1280.jpg

Ironic you mention a Johnny Rotten influence.

"Poly Styrene of X-Ray Spex once sent me a poster which said "Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean everybody isn’t out to get you!" And she was in a mental home at the time! Oh, that cheered me up no end, I can tell you." -- John Lydon

She was incorrectly institutionalized at the time because they thought she was schizophrenic, which she wasn't. Although later she was diagnosed as bipolar.

From her last album.

Generation Indigo
Generation Indigo (2010)

5nHyzELqtmc

DaveInDenver
06-22-2014, 08:11 AM
A couple of days late. Does anything need to be said, sort of self explanatory.

FMvjfBdeiKw

DaveInDenver
06-22-2014, 08:46 AM
And a local band, Monocle Band. Go see them if you get a chance. Good stuff.

Z0EoUsTdLGU

Jacket
08-01-2014, 11:02 AM
It's afternoon somewhere.

Pretty insightful writing for 1971.

Blow up your TV, throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus, on your own

BofvfVPFbiM

Seldom Seen
08-08-2014, 08:05 PM
It's afternoon somewhere.

Pretty insightful writing for 1971.

Blow up your TV, throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus, on your own

"Spanish Pipedream"is one of my all time favorites.
Every time I hear it I can't help but think of the iconic photo of Ed Abbey:

http://archivistapprenticeship.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/edwardabbey.jpeg

IIRC the same photo appears in Mother Earth News and Outside.

How can any thread about Friday music be complete without the quintessential song for the start of the weekend.

I give you "Shanty" (AKA the Friday song):

K6vyTM_qJAE

Crash
08-08-2014, 10:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4XFYMjkFYPg
For you late night Beaker Streeters.

Jacket
08-15-2014, 12:57 PM
My first taste of "concert diapers" when I was a youngin'. I only wish I had seen these guys more in their prime.

1kAIMlISHhU

lVIev94s7Mo

Crash
08-15-2014, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=Jacket;254499]My first taste of "concert diapers" when I was a youngin'. I only wish I had seen these guys more in their prime.

Nothing Shocking is one of my favorite albums of that era and the cover is simply stunning.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f2/NothingsShocking.jpg/220px-NothingsShocking.jpg If this is too "shocking" for the forum I will remove it.

DaveInDenver
08-15-2014, 01:44 PM
53IR6nYqTU0

"Sarah Jane and the Iron Mountain Baby"
Steve Martin & Edie Brickell
Love Has Come For You

The guys from Missouri might, or not, have heard of the Iron Mountain baby (looking especially your way Crash, William Helms graduated from SMSU, which I didn't know). Edie Brickell wrote a song inspired by the original story and maybe loosely on the original ballad. In any case it's a good song from a pretty good album. Steve Martin wanted to be a banjo player way back and sure does have very respectable ability on the duets with Edie as well his shows touring with the Steep Canyon Rangers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Mountain_Baby

http://www.steepcanyon.com/

DaveInDenver
08-15-2014, 01:46 PM
If this is too "shocking" for the forum I will remove it.
Don't forget the sticker is all. ;-)

http://vivaciousvision.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/advisory-explicit-lyrics-poster-c10031853.jpg

Crash
08-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Will give the Iron Mountain Baby vid a looksee. Any idea when WH graduated? Off to get plates for the 40 this very minute. SMSU? Now known as MSU - Missouri State University!!! Go Bears!

DaveInDenver
08-15-2014, 02:46 PM
I'd guess in the late 1920s, probably around the same time as you. You guys could have gone to a speakeasy together or something. Of course being the buckle of the Bible Belt I think they probably still have those in Springfield.

Crash
08-15-2014, 04:40 PM
I'd guess in the late 1920s, probably around the same time as you. You guys could have gone to a speakeasy together or something. Of course being the buckle of the Bible Belt I think they probably still have those in Springfield.

If WH was there in the '20s then the school was called something like Farmers and Teachers College or something like that at the time, like CSU was up until a couple of years ago. :hill: Speakeasy? That would be thoroughly modern for the Buckle of the Bible Belt. Some folks are still living the Civil War in Sprangfield, MO. Actually, around the school and the downtown area they are trying to emulate LoDo and doing a fairly decent job of it with brewpubs leading the way.
DMV was packed to the rafters so plates for the 40 will wait until next week. That it passed is enough to make my weekend. :thumb:

DaveInDenver
08-15-2014, 07:51 PM
If it's anything like SEMO back then it was called a normal school, which of course it could no longer be when they admitted me. The original name was Southeast Missouri State Normal School, which just means it was a teachers college. I assume SMSU was the Southwest version of that.

Groucho
08-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Don't forget the sticker is all. ;-)

http://vivaciousvision.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/advisory-explicit-lyrics-poster-c10031853.jpg

This made me think of something.

I always found it pretty fullfilling that some of the musicians I looked up to were nothing like they were made out to be by the "other side". In testimony during a Senate hearing concerning the PMRC's proposed actions, the sticker pictured and the PMRC in general, Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister made one of the quotes that I hold dear to this day:

"The full responsibility for defending my children falls on the shoulders of my wife and I, because there is no one else capable of making these judgments for us."

I keep this in the back of my mind when it comes to raising my kids. I hope that my kids never suffer limits to the amount of emotion that music can convey; the forming of memories; the angst and the love.

Hulk
08-18-2014, 11:18 PM
My first taste of "concert diapers" when I was a youngin'. I only wish I had seen these guys more in their prime.

I saw them at the Metro in Chicago on the Nothing's Shocking tour. Perry Farrell was high as a kite but the band shredded. One of the highlights was him holding a water bottle up to his crotch and screaming at the crowd, "Is there anybody out there that wants to s*ck my c*ck????!!!!" The adoring roar of the crowd affirmed that, yes, apparently there were some people in attendance who were enthusiastic about pleasuring Mr. Farrell. I was not one of them, but I enjoyed the music. It was a crazy show.

Actually it was the next album, Ritual De Lo Habitual, that made me a real fan. I was driving home on Lake Shore Drive one night when the song "Stop" debuted on the radio (WXRT). I made a quick exit, pulled my car to the curb, and turned up the volume. I'd never heard anything like it, and I don't expect I will ever hear anything that causes me to stop what I was doing the way that song did.

DaveInDenver
08-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Former JANE'S ADDICTION star PERRY FARRELL is convinced he owes his youthful looks to 15 years or relentless drug taking.

The eccentric rocker insists he'll never become an anti-drug advocate because he thinks the best people in life have all experienced substance highs.
He says, "I feel that I lost 15 years worth of intensive efforts, but I look great. That's one thing that surprises me.

"I guess every generation goes through their drug thing and some people get through it and get clean and some don't.

"But, you know what, I'm sick of the people that are sober. I think sobriety is wrong... You're supposed to party on Friday night, and, if you don't, you're going against God's wishes."
And Farrell believes a lack of drugs in today's music industry is making current hits "stale".

He adds, "If you look at the great art movements, everyone's dabbled and experimented... I'm going to preface that by saying addiction is stupid. But the lack of experimentation is affecting the music today, and, as a result, the music is stale. They need to break on through."

I suggest prudence if you go to the article, the photo they include is, um, provocative.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news-article/farrell-the-drugs-do-work

He's right to some extent, the music now often to me sounds like what alternative and pop did in the 1980s and 1990s but less 'something' than when Pearl Jam and Bad Religion played it originally. I guess when you listen to the music from back then they were often inspired by the bands from the 50s, 60s and 70s, so it's probably just the way things are. There must be some theoretical max number of chord progressions possible, I dunno. Probably some certain number of combinations that sound good at least.

Hulk
08-21-2014, 04:02 PM
He's right to some extent, the music now often to me sounds like what alternative and pop did in the 1980s and 1990s but less 'something' than when Pearl Jam and Bad Religion played it originally. I guess when you listen to the music from back then they were often inspired by the bands from the 50s, 60s and 70s, so it's probably just the way things are. There must be some theoretical max number of chord progressions possible, I dunno. Probably some certain number of combinations that sound good at least.

I remember my Dad being interested in only some of the music that I liked when I was a teenager, and I'm the same way about today's current rock & pop music. A lot of it just seems uninspired and copycat. I wonder if that's just a factor of age. We have a much bigger library in our brains, so it's harder for musicians to break new ground. Maybe some of the music we listened to and loved was copying someone else's earlier, better stuff, but we just didn't know it.

DaveInDenver
10-31-2014, 07:43 PM
hp7mClnzqAA

The Gear Daddies
Drank So Much Tonight (Just Feel Stupid)
Let's Go Scare Al (1988) (http://www.geardaddies.com/album/lets-go-scare-al/5967)

Sometimes I swear I need a drink
Sometimes I swear to God I just donít stop to think
I know tomorrow Iíll regret all these things I did
I drank so much tonight I just feel stupid

I didnít go out planning to get this drunk
I guess my plans to get up and look for work are sunk

God only knows why I do these things
God, wonít you tell me why it always ends the same?
StillÖ

Sometimes I swear I need a drink
Sometimes I swear to God I just donít stop to think

DaveInDenver
11-27-2014, 07:11 AM
7XdYnh729IQ

"Dirty Boots"
Sonic Youth
Goo (1990)