PDA

View Full Version : Fire!

OilHammer
10-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Anybody know what happens after a house fire?

The most important part, we got out safely and the pets are ok too.
I did something stupid and ran into the attic to investigate the smoke. In hindsight, I could have fallen through the roof or been overcome by the smoke. As soon as I couldn't breathe, I turned and got the blank out. The FD got there pretty quick and minimized the damage. We were very very blessed this happened when it did and we had enough notice to get out.

So now what? The investigator came in and looked around in the attic. It would appear that this was from a damaged wire from a 80's kitchen remodel (not by me!) but I haven't heard the formal report back. It's bad, but not that bad. Maybe not bad enough. We really don't feel safe unless that whole house is rewired and I don't know if insurance covers that. Inspector found all kinds of scary stuff I didn't know about and who knows what else is there. It's a 1931 vintage house, so 80 years of do-it-yourselfers messing in there. I have no idea what insurance is going to cover, if anything. So what happens now? Does the insurance company give me a number or do they just start fixing? At this point, I think I want to at least know what the number is so I can consider options. Like, does it make sense to just gut the house or just repair this damaged area? I think it can be fixed easily enough, I just don't know if I want it done that way.

Jacket
10-17-2013, 02:00 PM
I don't really know the answers to any of your questions, but sorry about the mess and I'm glad you guys are Ok. That really sucks. I don't think it is realistic to rewire everything, but with an 80 year old house I'm sure you've got all kinds of interesting stuff and plenty of aluminum.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Well, I am glad you all are ok. I drove by yesterday and you really can't tell anything happened from the street. Which I guess is a good thing.

We have a smoke detector in our attic, as we have a furnace up there, I checked.. One thing I keep thinking about is what if you were both gone for days, a weekend..?

You might want to consider ADT or some kind of home security that includes smoke detectors. We have that and if the smoke detectors go off and we are not home ADT calls the fire department for us. Plus now I can track all that from my smart phone. It gives us peace of mind when we leave town.

OilHammer
10-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Agreed. I never thought that was a real risk since we don't have equipment up there. We have one in the basement equipment, another two down in the basement living, and about 6 on the main level. None of them went off. If Mary hadn't asked me what I was doing in the attic dropping stuff (I hadn't been up there) I never would have known until it was more widespread. As part of the foster program, we were required to have loads of fire extinguishers and detectors. One of those extinguishers was what bought us time to get out and have the department get there. The wall was still "burning", but it put out the open flames in the floor pretty well.

AxleIke
10-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Glad you are okay! Yikes!

smslavin
10-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Glad you are okay! Yikes!

ditto that. wow.

rover67
10-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Man, i'm glad ya'll are OK.. Really glad.

The part I hate the most is the dry chem cleanup part of it...

I really have no input to give other than that the ABC Powder stuff especially sucks.

simps80
10-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Sheesh that sounds scary.
glad there were no injuries...
This really brings to the forefront of my thoughts to finally get one of those home inventory things done.

Romer
10-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Barry - glad you and all are OK. That's what is important

nakman
10-17-2013, 09:32 PM
holy cow, Barry, should already be obvious but holler if we can help at all! Let me know if I need to set up the guest bedroom... :camping:

Hulk
10-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Wow, it's good that you all are safe and unharmed. Houses can be replaced.

bh4rnnr
10-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Scary. Glad to here you guys are safe.

FJCDan
10-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Hey Barry, Glad to here everyone is ok. If you need some advise on restoration services i have a restoration company that I do business with that I would highly recomend. they know how to work with insurance companies very well. Dan 303-929-7230.

OilHammer
10-18-2013, 12:52 PM
I think I'm good on part of that. USAA sends a team out to remove the water, lead, and asbestos areas and do a thorough scrub and clean. They don't do any wiring, framing, drywall, trim, etc....they just make the area safe and remove the smoke damage as much as possible. After those guys are done, the adjuster comes in and surveys the total damage created (more wall & clg coming down in mitigation).

What I need at this point, is a good electrician to survey the extent of electrical work, both required and optional. I'm going to want a full inspection and recommendation, because I suspect there is a LOT more crap going on.

Woodsman
10-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Whoa Nellie !!! Sorry to hear about this but glad everyone is OK.

Being proactive and checking out the rest of the electrical is a great move. In this day of DIY this and DIY that far too many people are screwing around with things they know very little about.