PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Cutter

Hulk
10-21-2013, 12:34 AM
Anyone have a plasma cutter I can borrow? I need to cut two holes in 1/4" steel. My Sawzall cuts it just fine, but I need to make curves.

AxleIke
10-21-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm sure someone else will chime in, Matt, but if you don't come up with anything, you can come over and use my old mans. Just can't lend it out, apologies. I just need a bit of lead time. It cuts 1/4 a-vury-niacely.

Hulk
10-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Isaac, where are you located? My issue is that this is for my trailer, which is not yet licensed. In fact, these holes are for the tail lights so I can get it licensed.

That said, maybe I could tow it to your place in the early a.m. when few people are on the road.

rover67
10-21-2013, 05:19 PM
i know this sounds like a pain... BUT you *might* get away with making a hole with a hole saw and a hand drill. how big are the holes? 4"

AHorseThief
10-21-2013, 08:12 PM
I've got one you can borrow, but my available time this week is close to nil. If I can help let me know. I work over at County Line and I-25, so maybe we could figure out a before or after or during work type deal.

jps8460
10-22-2013, 06:43 PM
I too have one, you need at least a 30A 220 circuit and descent air. I have a 20ft extension chord for it as well (6ga so ...I think). I'm pretty free this week. I can bring it by for you to use while i'm there, but I tend not to leave tools like this behind.

anyhoo, give me a shout if you would like to do work.

-jackson

jps8460
10-22-2013, 06:44 PM
ps Im in westminster 104th and fed. I work in Lakewood, so I can toss it in.

AxleIke
10-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Mine will run 110, or 220, but its only cutting 1/4 on 220. And yeah, you are going to need a good compressor. Or a tank of N2. I'm up at 88th and wadsworth, not too far from BVB.

Let me know, but I think you'll have a better go with the guys that are closer.

Also, for tail light holes, I agree with Marco. A hole saw and a jig saw are going to give you a cleaner cut. Plasma is good, but when doing it by hand, it is more ragged than a saw blade.

Rzeppa
10-24-2013, 07:52 PM
A hole saw and a jig saw are going to give you a cleaner cut. Plasma is good, but when doing it by hand, it is more ragged than a saw blade.

X2 on the sentiment about cutting cleaner with a saw (hole and sawzall) than a plasma cutter.

baja1d
10-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Home Depot sells hole saw bits in virtually every size. I just used a 3.25" on my front crossmember when I did my Saginaw P/S conversion on the 40. It worked well enough that I'm thinking of using it again to recess my rear tail lights on the new bumper that I'll be building.... Got the impression from your last post that this was for a similar application.

AxleIke
10-25-2013, 10:54 AM
Matt, I also have a lot of hole saw sizes, and a jig saw that works awesome in metal, which you are welcome to borrow at any time.

AimCOTaco
10-25-2013, 11:13 AM
For a one time job I would probably just use a jig saw and be patient. May be easier than hauling around plasma gear, may be cheaper than a big hole saw if you have one. Just drill a 3/8 starting hole and dig in.

Hulk
10-26-2013, 12:50 AM
I guess I always thought hole saws were for wood. Are there different ones for metal?

baja1d
10-26-2013, 05:46 AM
At HD in their tool department, you'll find white ones that say bi-metal. They're usually near the drills & bits

AxleIke
10-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Yup. Bi-metal hole saws. I use them all the time.

rover67
10-26-2013, 05:03 PM
A decent power drill will run it too. You can rock the hole saw back and forth so only one side worth of teeth are cutting at a time to ease the load a bit.

Hulk
10-28-2013, 11:57 AM
i know this sounds like a pain... BUT you *might* get away with making a hole with a hole saw and a hand drill. how big are the holes? 4"

X2 on the sentiment about cutting cleaner with a saw (hole and sawzall) than a plasma cutter.

Matt, I also have a lot of hole saw sizes, and a jig saw that works awesome in metal, which you are welcome to borrow at any time.

Guys, thanks for this advice -- it was just what I needed. I bought 2 1/8 bi-metal hole saws and got the holes cut. I also borrowed a friend's Bosch jigsaw (way better than my old Craftsman jigsaw) and got some appropriate blades. Result: the tail lights are now installed and recessed into my trailer bumper.