PDA

View Full Version : St. Vrain

baja1d
10-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Thinking about another snow run up St. Vrain/making it an annual thing...with chains & a saw this time. After all, we drove away with a lot of new stories! Probably be around the same time Stan does the "Run of the Gulches" although I'd like to make his run this year.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18879

MDH33
10-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Have you checked if that area is closed? Both seasonal and flood closures in effect for a lot of areas.

baja1d
10-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Have you checked if that area is closed? Both seasonal and flood closures in effect for a lot of areas.

Good point & no not yet

Fishy
10-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Right now I'm targeting Nov 9 or Dec 12 for Run the Gulches. I'll probably skip Metberry this year because I heard it was repaired/filled in and that makes it just a regular drive.

Probably Hackett and Illinois Gulch to up the fun factor.

treerootCO
10-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Here are the orders as well at the Northern map the Forest Service email me (current Oct 23rd)

pdf was too big to upload... made it a crappy .jpg

black95
10-27-2013, 05:12 PM
I'll probably skip Metberry this year because I heard it was repaired/filled in and that makes it just a regular drive.

First I've heard of that. I'll have to check that out. Metberry was definitely getting to be the most difficult of the gulches trails, that'd really be too bad if they graded it. Nature was doing an exceptional job of keeping the wreckless idiots and shooters out.

Fishy
10-27-2013, 06:01 PM
First I've heard of that. I'll have to check that out. Metberry was definitely getting to be the most difficult of the gulches trails, that'd really be too bad if they graded it. Nature was doing an exceptional job of keeping the wreckless idiots and shooters out.

Some friends were just down there. Nothing more than a regular drive. I thought Hackett was the more difficult of the two last year, but I also heard that it was closed for a short time this summer? Not sure if that means it was "fixed" as well?

Sounds like a prerun is in order......

Shotshell
10-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Sounds like a prerun is in order......

I'm down...:thumb:

baja1d
10-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Here are the orders as well at the Northern map the Forest Service email me (current Oct 23rd)

pdf was too big to upload... made it a crappy .jpg

Well, that sucks... Open to suggestions to will challenge both man & machine!:thumb:

Get Outside
10-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Hey Stan are you starting a tread for the run the gulches planing? Right now there is info crossing 3 or 4 different treads for that and it's gonna get kind of messy!

I definitely want to get out there and see some more of what Colorado has to offer. Just need to figure if the trails picked are suitable for my truck.
Thanks

black95
10-27-2013, 10:18 PM
CLC just ran Hackett and longwater in September. They were still in their normal unmolested condition then. Haven't been to metberry since the spring. Hackett really only has Hackett rock to be challenging, longwater has some cool moguls and washouts as well as longwater rock to play with. A guy died in a rollover on Hackett a year or so ago, maybe they're looking to grade them to prevent further injuries.

Fishy
10-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Hey Stan are you starting a tread for the run the gulches planing? Right now there is info crossing 3 or 4 different treads for that and it's gonna get kind of messy!

I definitely want to get out there and see some more of what Colorado has to offer. Just need to figure if the trails picked are suitable for my truck.
Thanks

I am..... Sorry. I totally hijacked Travis's thread. Look for it soon. Again.... Sorry fellas.

baja1d
10-27-2013, 10:52 PM
I am..... Sorry. I totally hijacked Travis's thread. Look for it soon. Again.... Sorry fellas.

No worries, I'm looking forward to the Gulches as well but I'm also looking for a challenge. Not necessarily stranded & digging for hours but maybe use some chains & pull some cable occasionally! Somewhere in between what both of us did a year ago

AimCOTaco
10-28-2013, 09:09 AM

Last I drove by the gate was closed at highway 72 so you can't even access the camp grounds. Further north, both entrances to Bunce were taped off and marked no access. This was 2 weeks ago. I'm assuming everything up that way is still closed and will be until next year.

MisledYouth
10-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Ran Hackett last weekend in my 100. It's been a LONG time since I'd been there before this last time, but it didn't look like it has had any recent repairs or grading. It wasn't difficult, but it wasn't freshly touched up.