PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual Run the Gulches Saturday Dec 14th

Fishy
11-11-2013, 05:52 PM
It will soon be that sweet time in between Thanksgiving and Christmas where the winter doldrums are just starting to set in. Why not take a break from hanging Christmas lights or fighting I-70 traffic to the slopes and enjoy a day with Rising Sun?

Come join us for the 2nd Annual Run the Gulches on December 14th, 2013. The First Annual Run (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=18873&highlight=run+gulches) was a great time with nice temps and sunny skies. The first run was also featured in Toyota Trails magazine (http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=CO...ra=mr&t=m&z=15)

This year's run will be a little more difficult. We will be doing Hackett Gulch and Illinois Gulch. Big Country and I just did a shakedown run this weekend to check the trail and route. I would say 33's and sliders are recommended but you could get by without them. There are a few tight spots on Hackett where sliders came in handy and the Moab Hill obstacle on Illinois Gulch can be as hard or as easy as you'd like. I'll post some video from last year and from this past weekend. The trail is more difficult this year due to areas being washed out and dug up. You will touch down front, rear and sliders in spots by taking the harder lines.

Meeting Place - Deckers Store right in the tiny town of Deckers at the "T" where CO67 and Deckers Rd meet. There is the Flies and Lies fly shop in the same little building. No gas, but if the store is open it will have basic provisions. This is a long day so make sure you fill up prior to arriving. Any of you coming from Evergreen/Conifer/Foothills would take 285 to Pine Valley Rd/CO126 and come in that way. Us southsiders would take 25 South to Happy Canyon Rd, 85 to 67. No reason for you northsiders/foothills guys to have to go all the way to Happy Canyon. Deckers store is almost exactly 40 miles from Evergreen or Centennial.

Pack a lunch and a thermos of something warm. I'll make a burrito run that morning again. Post up if you'd like me to pick you up one of the best breakfast burritos in all of Denver. They're $5 and as big as your foot.

Deckers Store at 8:30am for a 9:00am departure. Should be fun! 146.46 is preferred, but not required. CB4 as a low quality, scratchy, barely readable back up.

Map of meeting spot
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=39.254122,-105.227104&hl=en&sll=39.254144,-105.227078&sspn=0.002297,0.004136&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=18&t=m&z=18

Fishy
11-11-2013, 05:55 PM
This Week....

100 Series Version
d0mSLR0LUq0

80 Series Version
K7tygMirp50

Fishy
11-11-2013, 05:56 PM
2012 First Annual.....

Last Year

iBXd6ioXePc

Shotshell
11-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Looks wild!:thumb:

imhighlander
11-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Subscribed for details. I'd love to come (first RS Run for me!) if I'm in town.

Matt

Fishy
11-14-2013, 05:08 PM
We're still 30 days away and we all know snow could come at anytime. If we get hammered with snow just before the event, we will still go anyway. The route may change a little but Illinois Gulch and Moab Hill are still doable in the snow.

I'm bouncing around the idea of making this a Poker Run. If enough people are interested in that we could donate 1/2 and winner gets 1/2. Just something fun to do and maybe we could give back for the holiday season.

MTSN
11-14-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm glad it's that weekend because I'm either out of town or booked up solid every other weekend from now till mid January! I'll be there with my shiny new bumper :hill:

baja1d
11-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Hoping to get the heater in the 40 & join you guys

Fishy
11-14-2013, 08:22 PM

Can't you just turn the heated seats on? ;)

Hope you can make it!

Old40Dog
11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
40's have heaters? I get more heat off my engine and headers thru the firewall than I can use. I've never even hooked up the heater...:lmao:

On the calender Stan. We had a blast last year. Hope to do it again...We'll bring Idelle's 80 this time.

baja1d
11-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Should've been more specific, rear heater for the kids. Either way, we'll be there in the 40 or 80

mozes
11-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Interested!!!

RyanR
11-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, I am hoping to join you for this run. I am a transplant from Bookcliff Cruisers out of Glenwood Springs, I just relocated to Denver and hoping to get out and do some wheeling with Rising Sun!

Fishy
11-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Hey guys, I am hoping to join you for this run. I am a transplant from Bookcliff Cruisers out of Glenwood Springs, I just relocated to Denver and hoping to get out and do some wheeling with Rising Sun!

Glad you made it here Ryan and are settling in. Looking forward to having you along!

JadeRunner
11-23-2013, 07:31 PM

Hey Ryan. I believe we met on the trail in the Flat Tops 2 years ago. Glad your coming on our run. I want to run Illinois Gulch real bad since that is the new trail.

I'm supposed to be at my moms for a xmas get together that day. But, I will see what I can do. With divorced parents there are so many holiday get togethers darn it.

bgoodheart
11-25-2013, 01:36 PM
I've been waiting on this, but unfortunately, we'll be in Florida! Have fun out there, boys and girls, and thanks for leading, Stan.

MtnAddict
11-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Stan, I'm in.

Fishy
11-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Stan, I'm in.

Not just in..... but locked and regeared and in! I'll buy your burrito because I know your wallet is empty!

MtnAddict
11-27-2013, 09:42 AM
HA. You got that right. The wife says I am done for a while. :thumb:

Fishy
12-04-2013, 12:18 PM
So it looks like we may still have some snow left over from this storm because of the cold temps coming up. The area we're going to sees plenty of sunshine (if it's sunny) and things do melt pretty quickly.

There really isn't any off camber drop offs that we need to worry about. The snow will most likely melt off the rocks. There could be some left over frozen/slick spots down near the bottom of the big hill on either Hackett or Metberry. That would make climbing back out a problem, so we'll walk that first to make sure we aren't descending into an ice trap. There are no trees to anchor to in that area, and the ones that are still standing can be knocked over with a good swift kick.

The ride to the trails is much more fun in the snow as it ups the difficulty a little and usually makes for a muddy, rutted trail.

Illinois Gulch will be passable even if it's snow covered and playing around on Moab Hill will be fun.

10 days away! I'll start taking burrito orders next week as part of the tradition of this run will be breakfast burritos warmed in the engine bay.

mozes
12-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Okay im in! we are coming from Loveland, so where is the best place to meet up with you guys?

Fishy
12-09-2013, 01:09 PM
There is a map on the first page. We're meeting at Deckers Store in Deckers, CO. It's at the intersection of CO-67 and Deckers Rd, along the South Platte River. Looking forward to having you along!

akingf5371
12-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Hey Stan, I'm kicking around going with you guys in the 4Runner, what time are we usually off the trail? I have reservations at 7pm with the little lady I can't miss.

Fishy
12-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Adam,

Using last year as a measure, we ran Metberry and Hackett with a long stop at the bottom of Metberry plus the usual standing around and talking. We were off the trail by 4pm. This year we will most likely be skipping Metberry and doing Illinois Gulch instead. It adds maybe 7 miles road driving but is much shorter in length than Metberry. The real obstacle on Illinois Gulch is called Moab Hill. It's only about 5-10 mins off the paved road.

We'll take a roll call at the start to see who plans on running both trails. That will determine what trail we hit first. This is kind of what our route will look like.....
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=CO-67+S&daddr=CO-67+S+to:39.104883,-105.213605+to:Hackett+Gulch+to:39.1248489,-105.2035251+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=39.167601,-105.079765&sspn=0.147197,0.264702&geocode=FXn4VgIdnFy6-Q%3BFVpxVQIdiVq7-Q%3BFXOxVAIdW5G6-Sl5LmOTL1BrhzE4t0uBml910Q%3BFVoOVAIdthu5-Q%3BFXD_VAIdu7i6-Sn1fypcPVBrhzE7nNzv3x348g%3BFQtBVQId8Gy8-Q&mra=dme&mrsp=5&sz=12&via=2,4&t=m&z=12

I think we'll have plenty of time for you to be back for plans with your wife. We will have limited cell service in that area though and issues can always come up that we're not expecting. We're always fairly close to a maintained road, so theoretically you could safely bail out at any time.

akingf5371
12-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Okay well count me in! I'll bring Jenna along too. Sign me up for 2 of those foot burritios if there is still time. I'll see you at 9am! (I'll be bringing the 4Runner)

AxleIke
12-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Man, if I ever get the truck done, I'll quit missing out on sweet trips! Have fun out there!

Fishy
12-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Temps and weather are looking up! You should still come prepared with warm clothes, snacks/lunch, a strap if you have one, recovery points and a shovel. I may make a pot of Pork Green Chile if I have time. One of the bonuses of that area is all the fire remnants and sand. If we get to a slick spot, we can easily shovel sand over it.

Burritos.......

Who wants one? I will make a final check on Saturday morning just before I leave. They will all be bacon unless you need/want something else. All contain Egg, Potato and Cheese. Trust me, they're yummy. I'll bring some tin foil so they can be wrapped and placed in your engine bay to stay warm, or chow them right away. $5 each from Ta-Ta's Burritos.

Fishy - 2
Big Country- 5 Big Country is really sick... Can't make it
akingf5371 - 2
baja1d - 2
MtnAddict - 1
Old40dog - 2
chaos - 1
Sleepy - 2
GetOutside - 1

baja1d
12-10-2013, 08:14 PM
3 for me please

MtnAddict
12-11-2013, 07:04 PM
I'll be solo on this Stan, so just one. Thanks!

jps8460
12-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Wahoo! finished up my project at work this evening, so no work this Saturday! count me in. I'm good on burritos, but thanks for doing that for everyone man!

baja1d
12-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Change of order... I need 5 now please

Get Outside
12-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Still figuring out if I'll make it or not but if I'm able to then add one burrito for me please!
Thank you Stan!

chaos
12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Would you say this is ok for a novice driver and someone new to the sport? I don't even have OBA or any recovery gear. I am just starting Would that be a problem?

baja1d
12-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Would you say this is ok for a novice driver and someone new to the sport? I don't even have OBA or any recovery gear. I am just starting Would that be a problem?

I got you covered; don't worry about it. They'll be plenty of air available

Fishy
12-12-2013, 09:59 PM

Absolutely. Decent tires and a maintained vehicle are a good idea and grab a shovel if you have one. A CB or HAM radio would be nice so you can communicate with everyone too. There will be plenty of air, straps and recovery gear, so just come with the idea of having a great time. If something makes you uncomfortable, don't hesitate to speak up and someone will be glad to help. Rising Sun leaves no one behind, ever.

These trails are by no means hardcore and there are lines that a stock vehicle can do. There is a possibility of whacking your bumper on Hackett Rock.

With the sun and warmth today, everything should be good and muddy. Shaping up to be a great run!

PM me if you have any concerns.

Old40Dog
12-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Stan, I'll take 2 of the burritos. See ya in the morning.

chaos
12-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks baja1d and Fishy for the additional information. I haven't had the best experiences going out yet, always broke something (like having a radiator blow up). I just got my 80 back from Robbie who did a complete engine rebuild so I only have 340 miles on my new engine. Robbie said it would be ok as long as I didn't idle the engine too long or run at too high RPM for a bit. He said "that's what these things are for".

I will try to clear my day and will let you know in a few hours. You guys are really good at making a new guy feel welcomed to the sport. I learned about Robbie through this forum.

Jacket
12-13-2013, 11:28 AM
I talked to Sam about blowing off his basketball game for some Saturday trail time, but it's a long way to travel from Boulder just to get to the meeting spot. Not sure if we can pull it off. We'll make a go/no go decision tonight.

Fishy
12-13-2013, 11:36 AM
^^ It'd be great to have you along, Matt. It is a pretty good haul from Boulder though, so I don't blame you.

Sleepy
12-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Ok, been lurking on this one and have arranged things where I can go. Two burritos please :-) I'll also be on my low quality, scratchy, barely readable back up CB :-D One day, I'll save up enough money for a ham.

Fishy
12-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Still figuring out if I'll make it or not but if I'm able to then add one burrito for me please!
Thank you Stan!

Let me know if you about the burrito Paulo

Stan, I'll take 2 of the burritos. See ya in the morning.

On the list, glad you're coming Dave!

Ok, been lurking on this one and have arranged things where I can go. Two burritos please :-) I'll also be on my low quality, scratchy, barely readable back up CB :-D One day, I'll save up enough money for a ham.

Two on order!

Anyone else? I'll check again at 6-6:30am. Last call......

Get Outside
12-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Ok, it was almost a no but it turned out to be a yes! So count me in and I'll take one burrito.
Stan, thank you again for organizing and doing the food run!

mozes
12-13-2013, 10:16 PM
I think im out guys. Too much to do and its a little too far.

Shotshell
12-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Sorry guys, not gonna be able to make it. Taking the :Princess: snowboarding. :cool: