PDA

View Full Version : the future of tape storage, et all...

nakman
08-30-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm sure this thread will die a quick death, hopefully not coincident of the tape storage industry in general. But I'm just curious who else on the list here is involved with the storage industry here in Colorado, and what you think its future holds?

To bring you up to speed, Brocade just bought McData.. oh earlier this year Sun Microsystems bought out StorageTek, last week Quantum bought out ADIC, today I hear Tandberg Data is buying Exabyte.. who had just filed for chapter 11.

In recent years I've visited Sun, Brocade, ADIC, and STK, and have always thought the basics of tape storage was wicked cool. Anyone remember that Schwartzenegger movie where they had to get the tape from the STK Iceberg? Think it was the one with Jamie Lee... anyway to the savvy investor now may be a good time to get in on this industry, somehow. But that ain't me though, since all I know are jumping ship, or trying not to get downsized. do you guys use tapes to back up at your work?

Uncle Ben
08-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I really think tape storage is dead. CD's are great but can still get trashed in a hot vehicle Satelite Radio and MP3 are the way to go! Ohh wait....ohhhhhh you were talking data storage on tape....never mind....:doh: :bolt: :lmao: :lmao: :hill:

PabloCruise
08-30-2006, 04:23 PM
8 track?

Hulk
08-30-2006, 04:52 PM
We don't use tape. I figure we'll get RAID5 or something like that sometime soon, with redundant, hot swappable drives. Eventually we'll probably do something remote over the Internet.

gr8fulabe
08-30-2006, 06:04 PM
I can't speak about tape storage specifically, but in general, large scale, across the board mergers like that (throughout the entire industry) are indicative of a very mature industry.
Not that you can't still make a buck investing in them, but they are usually less volitile (unless you pick a loser) and have lower returns.
But, with those lower returns, comes less risk generally, so it is a good tech industry to invest in, if you don't want to worry about bubbles, and such...

gcmandrake
09-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Having been involved with the storage industry for many years, I can't see tape going away. Like the Winchester (hard disk) storage (Maxtor, Seagate, etc) the margins are getting tighter, hence the mergers. Tape is still the best long term method of storage despite the cost per megabyte of hard disk.

the Other Matt

ArloGuthroJeep
09-01-2006, 01:54 PM
My kind of question!

I am a software engineer for Spectra Logic (www.spectralogic.com) a storage company in Boulder.

Tape isn't going anywhere. As much as the cost of hard drives has come down, tape drives are still ahead of that. The next generation LTO will be storing ~1TB/cartridge and still be around $100/cartridge.

However there is still a shift in the industry to support harddrive based backup as well. We currently have one product out to work with our enterprise level library called RXT which can support RAID 0, 1, 5, or 10 and comes in varrying sizes up to 1TB and we have two other new products coming out in the very near future which support "blades" of drives in RAID via SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) which are hot swapable...

The other thing hard drives aren't very fond of is being moved around a lot. If you plan on taking your backups offsite take tape - otherwise your hard drive won't be lasting much longer with frequent movement.

-Ryan

FJBen
09-01-2006, 01:58 PM
AGreed, tapes are still here for awhile. People are shouting SAN/NAS/ blah blah...but that is $$$$...Drives are super picky on being moved, swapped all that.

Tapes are easier to deal with, much easier offsite and are starting to REALLY get large sizes. We use Ultrium LTO's and back up everything, so it's a bit slow, but it does work.

nakman
09-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Wow, this is cool stuff... way more than expected. Thanks, all!! Ryan, you guys are one of our Customers.. though you just bought a 3D printer we probably won't see as much from Spectra Logic in the future. That's ok- Here are some samples of what we do (none of your plastics are on the web though) http://www.protogenic.com/Design_Samples.aspx

corsair23
09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I agree tape will be around for a long time, especially at the storage level you all are discussing. On a more personal level when CDs came out people thought they were the 'bomb'...Now we hear that your typical CD is good for 3-7 years depending on the quality...

So, for all of us that store stuff on CDs (pics, movies, etc) thinking they'll last FOREVER, it might be good to get into a routine where you back-up all of your back-ups every few years :D

You never want to find yourself at that family reunion, popping in the family pics CDs for viewing only to find out the CD is 'dead'... :(

Shark Bait
09-01-2006, 10:16 PM
The company I work for, Hitachi Data Systems (http://www.hds.com), provdes storage solutions for small business through Enterprise class customers. Disk is where it's at! :D

Hitachi TagmaStore Universal Storage Platform Named 2006 Most Valuable Product
Hitachi Data Systems Ushers in the Next Wave in Data Protection with Virtual Tape Library Solutions for Tiered Storage Environments

ArloGuthroJeep
09-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Wow, this is cool stuff... way more than expected. Thanks, all!! Ryan, you guys are one of our Customers.. though you just bought a 3D printer we probably won't see as much from Spectra Logic in the future. That's ok- Here are some samples of what we do (none of your plastics are on the web though) http://www.protogenic.com/Design_Samples.aspx
Ahhh yes I know exactly what you're talking about - it is just a few doors down from my office. They won't let me make my own molds with it:blah: :D