PDA

View Full Version : And Cold Temp Issues?

DaveInDenver
12-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Anyone blow a freeze plug or anything? I checked the coolant in Imelda when they predicted the cold front and it floated all the balls in the dealie, so supposedly -40F. She even cranked and started alright with conventional 10W30. Temp here was -11ish this morning.

One Christmas we were driving to Arizona and the temps over Raton Pass were cold like this, the temperature gauge was stuck on cold driving at 65MPH south on I-25 even with cardboard crammed in front of the grill. The coolant overflow bottle was slush actually. Interior was like an air-cooled VW I tell ya, no heat and frost on the inside of the windows.

rover67
12-05-2013, 08:44 AM
-4 at our house in boulder this morning which was also the low for the night.

You made me think for a second then I remembered I recently changed my coolant over in the 60 when I did the water pump a few weeks ago. It started fine and even the Power steering pump that growls when it's cold was pretty quiet.

Al's TDI started fine with a coolant temp of 190... guess I need to start the block heater timer a bit later in the morning :)

Beater
12-05-2013, 08:54 AM
other than extreme shrinkage?

DaveInDenver
12-05-2013, 09:41 AM
8DoARSlv-HU

Jacket
12-05-2013, 09:51 AM
My 80 had been sitting for a few days, so it was slow to crank this morning. Never really got warmed up during my 4 mile commute. I was wishing I had seat heaters.

wesintl
12-05-2013, 10:01 AM
jetta diesel no start. one bad glow plug and a 11 year old battery had enough juice to turn it over but not start it. put the battery charger on it for 1/2 hr and it fired right up even with a bad glow plug.

CardinalFJ60
12-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I think there's still some :Princess: fluid in the reservoir from the PO in TX - even though I tried to cycle it out and re-fill with -30 juice. But...she started right up at -2F.

MTSN
12-05-2013, 11:13 AM
The blower motor in my heater did not turn on when I turned the dial this morning, so I turned it off and turned it on again and thankfully the second time was a charm! Hoping that it's not on it's way out as I don't want it to give out again on a day like today.

art hog
12-05-2013, 01:37 PM
-15 when I got home from the RS meeting @11:00. Report was -19, w/wind chill -34.

bgoodheart
12-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Throttle body (2004 has a 'hybrid' drive by wire) went into safe mode at 65mph coming back from DIA today. I unplugged it, cycled it, and drove back to the office. Hopefully just a function of the truck being cold-soaked at the airport for the past 3 days? :confused:

FJCDan
12-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Went out and cleaned carpets no big deal.

BritKLR
12-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Hadn't started either the 60 or the 55 for about a week. We needed the 55 to plow the driveway yesterday and it took a couple shots of starter fluid and a jump box to get it started. The 60 needed the same!

nuclearlemon
12-05-2013, 06:18 PM
80 fired right up. 4runner no starty....low amps in the battery, so it's on the charger for the night. twrecks has been grumpy to start and didn't try to start either the blue pig or steves pig, but will get them all fired up saturday and to operating temps to keep things flowing. all should have decent antifreeze in them (although the 4runner is a bit heavy on the water side, it will be close as it tested to around -15 :O

Inukshuk
12-05-2013, 07:31 PM
My 80 had been sitting for a few days, so it was slow to crank this morning. Never really got warmed up during my 4 mile commute. I was wishing I had seat heaters.

My 80 was fully warm by the time i drove my 2.8 city miles to work. You may want to check that thermostat.

MDH33
12-05-2013, 07:41 PM
It's nice to now have a 60 with a working heater. :hill: It was -10 in Evergreen this morning. It started with a few extra pumps and full choke. Warmed up nicely. My old 60 always started too, but never warmed up well.

Crash
12-05-2013, 09:02 PM
It's nice to now have a 60 with a working heater. :hill: It was -10 in Evergreen this morning. It started with a few extra pumps and full choke. Warmed up nicely. My old 60 always started too, but never warmed up well.

It's also nice to have a dual battery system in proper working order, ain't it? :thumb:

Corbet
12-05-2013, 09:57 PM

My 80 was fully warm by the time i drove my 2.8 city miles to work. You may want to check that thermostat.

Agreed. In the time it takes me to cover the mile to paved road from my house my 80 is always blowing heat to the interior, and by the time I get her up to speed on concrete the trans will shift to 4th right away.

SteveH
12-06-2013, 06:36 AM
-21 at my house this AM in the Black Forest. My house is in a depression that collects cold air. Realizing that current antifreezes only protect to -35 with a 50/50 mixture, I hope I'm a little rich on all my vehicles!

With any luck, some pine beetles froze to death last night.

chilitoy
12-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Brakes on my 99 4runner freezing up. The second time I've hit the brakes both mornings, the pedal has no action, and obviously no braking! I guess the booster has something freezing. After a few "pumps", something gives and brakes work fine. Scary!

DaveInDenver
12-06-2013, 07:40 AM
I've had a similar issue with my brakes, but it was the rear drums freezing mainly from the mag-chloride mix working it way in and freezing the shoes in place when I set the parking brake.

60wag
12-06-2013, 08:35 AM
In Gunbarrel, the plant is experiencing "low gas pressure" which is preventing the boilers from operating. I'm curious to see how cold it gets inside the buildings before Excel can put more pressure in the pipes.

nakman
12-06-2013, 09:13 AM
I've also had the same issue on 3rd gen runners- it's downright scary you roll up to that first stop and the pedal is rock hard, and no braking! Most likely just some water in the brake fluid that's freezing...

SteveH
12-06-2013, 09:59 AM
My '98 4Runner brakes were sorta 'stuck' this AM, too - this happens at super low temps every year. It's a 3rd gen thing, I guess. I stopped trying to find a solution for it.

imhighlander
12-06-2013, 10:47 AM
80's battery was dead as a stone at DIA last night. Got a jump from the parking guys to get home around 10pm. Also, the driver's window regulator was really grumpy last night. The window would barely go down for me to pay at the parking booth, and I then had to gently lift it back up manually. (Stupid me for trying to lower it anyway; wasn't thinking.) Once on the road it was a frosty ride back to Evergreen. The heater works fine but my side windows froze over from the condensation from the warmth in the truck.

Had to go to Napa this AM for a fresh battery, but hopefully that will be all.

Squishy!
12-06-2013, 02:32 PM
My buddy's Matrix hasn't started since Tuesday. Nothing seems to help the poor thing.

LARGEONE
12-06-2013, 02:45 PM

I have never enjoyed my seat heaters in the 80 as much as the last few days!!!

wesintl
12-06-2013, 02:55 PM
no issues this am, lil diesel fired right up with 2 glow cycles and 1 bad glow plug

subzali
12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
No problems here yet, I should probably have my dad check the 40 to see if the block cracked. That thing seems to start better in cold weather anyway.

Jenny Cruiser
12-07-2013, 12:00 PM
-21 at my house this AM in the Black Forest. My house is in a depression that collects cold air. Realizing that current antifreezes only protect to -35 with a 50/50 mixture, I hope I'm a little rich on all my vehicles!

With any luck, some pine beetles froze to death last night.

It was about that cold down here if Fountain. Gear box and clutch felt like they were in wet cement, but luckily the 40 started right up. I could see my breath in the cab all the way up to Ft. Collins with the heater on. Time to get that rebuild kit and new rubbers around all the doors.

DanInDenver
12-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Throttle body (2004 has a 'hybrid' drive by wire) went into safe mode at 65mph coming back from DIA today. I unplugged it, cycled it, and drove back to the office. Hopefully just a function of the truck being cold-soaked at the airport for the past 3 days? :confused:

Same happened in my 2000. Left at the airport Mon -Fri. Just left the parking pay booth and I went into safe mode. Pulled over and sat in the sun while the truck warmed up. After about 15 minutes of waiting and starting and stopping the gas pedal returned to normal and I drove on home. Code reader read P1120. So far this weekend no more issues.

jps8460
12-08-2013, 11:55 AM
My old turd Camry screeeeeeched for about 5min and then belched out about a qt of p.s. fluid. It had been on its way to retirement for about 3yrs (the car as a whole)........so I picked up a 2013 tundra to replace it this weekend.....wahoo!

Lars
12-08-2013, 12:15 PM
My 06 runner has been flawless. Granted it is garaged, but went skiing yesterday and had zero problems.:bowdown:

DanS
12-08-2013, 11:36 PM
No issues whatsoever. 9 year old battery even, but the faux-lux started right up when I got back to DIA tonight after sitting there 4 and a half days.

I do think I need to budget for a webasto for the 60 though. I'd really, really prefer arriving to the parking lot with an already warmed truck, engine, interior and windshield all waiting for me...

Dan

RicardoJM
12-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I pulled the 40 out of the garage on Saturday and have let it sit outside. It fired up each morning with no issues. It takes a few minutes to warm up to operating temperature but that gives me time to scrape the windows. :D

bigbluefj
12-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Leaking power steering is only issue I have and it's been -22F here in Canmore so -4 please lol

akingf5371
12-09-2013, 12:40 PM
It starts up great but seems to leak diff fluid from the cover gasket and the t-case leaks.