PDA

View Full Version : What am I thinking?

smslavin
12-06-2013, 02:35 PM
I must have been around too much hairspray as well as too many ballet buns and pink tutus this week. While I never thought I would walk this path, it's become apparent that it is going to be necessary. Anyone else in grad school?

..:: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) ::..

LARGEONE
12-06-2013, 02:42 PM
you won't regret it...Got my MBA in 2002 and have not regretted it one moment. Has been worth every penny and minute spent getting it. Good luck...stick it out. Just realize that you will have to catch up on several years worth of movies when you're finished b/c, if you are working AND going to school, there will not be much time for anything else!

DaveInDenver
12-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I am taking a few classes with a back-of-the-mind plan to take the G.R.E., maybe next year, to start working on a MSEE at CSU.

smslavin
12-06-2013, 03:19 PM
you won't regret it...Got my MBA in 2002 and have not regretted it one moment. Has been worth every penny and minute spent getting it. Good luck...stick it out. Just realize that you will have to catch up on several years worth of movies when you're finished b/c, if you are working AND going to school, there will not be much time for anything else!

Nice. Good to hear. I had a meeting with the director of the program today that pushed me off the fence. Not sure yet what support I'll get from work but I'm applying anyway.

I am taking a few classes with a back-of-the-mind plan to take the G.R.E., maybe next year, to start working on a MSEE at CSU.

No wonder you're so good with the HAM stuff... :thumb:

Keith
12-06-2013, 04:12 PM
you won't regret it...Got my MBA in 2002 and have not regretted it one moment. Has been worth every penny and minute spent getting it.

Well now there's something I've never heard anyone say about a MS in Nursing… Which will probably have to be in my future.

LARGEONE
12-06-2013, 04:54 PM
I can't say the same about all my classes getting my Engineering degree, but I thoroughly enjoyed all my Business classes for the MBA...even accounting at which I was not so good (sucked really)!

AxleIke
12-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Yo.

You are enrolling in the good grad school. Business is where its at to make money. On the one hand, it seemed like a good idea, but on the other, I can't do business very well, and the couple of classes I took in college were unbearably boring. But, college bears, in my experience, very little resemblance to the real world in both good and bad ways, so who knows, maybe business would be fun.

I'm nearing the end of my tenure at CU, unless I decide to continue onward, but the pull of a non-grad stipend pay check is mighty high. Its better than debt to be sure, so I can't complain too much. We have plenty of that from law school :Princess:

LARGEONE
12-07-2013, 08:16 AM
If I had to do it again, I'd take way more classes in Finance/Econ and a few less in Marketing, but that's just me because I love Econ and finance/markets.

Hulk
12-18-2013, 11:27 PM
I've been toying with the MBA idea for the last decade. Every year it gets less likely that I will take action.

Romer
12-19-2013, 07:29 AM
I got a Masters in Engineering after I had been working about 6 years. Glad I did it, but it was a time committment.

smslavin
12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I've been going back and forth on it for awhile. I started a program through Pepperdine many years ago but the timing wasn't right and I wasn't into it. The timing isn't the greatest now either but I'm realizing I need this to get to do what I want.

Unfortunately, I've been told by my employer that they will not offer any financial support as they do not believe it is a necessary pursuit for my current position. However, they will spend huge money to hire a new MBA grad with zero work experience, rotate them through many international offices and put them on a pedestal without any idea if they can actually perform. The bureaucratic double standards in a massive dinosaur corporation make me crazy. All the more reason to get the degree and move on to better things.

Application has been sent in and I am currently working on a refresh for the GMAT. Fingers crossed I can get in for next fall.

imhighlander
12-19-2013, 10:38 AM
IMO, it's all in how you plan to apply what you learn. The letters mean nearly nothing anymore - there are loads of MBAs out there - but putting what you learn into practice can be all the difference.

I'd encourage you to read other great books in addition to your curriculum. I've found that many of them are actually better than much of the curriculum out there: Drive, by Dan Pink; Switch, by Chip Heath and Dan Heath; Blink, by Malcom Gladwell; Tribal Leadership, by Logan, King, & Fisher-Wright… I have and have read a zillion of these.

I have a JD, not an MBA. Used to practice law (and plan to do so again; sitting for the Colo bar in February) but more recently ran a private company for 5 years as CEO. I'm not a "math guy" but I'm an idea guy and love studies on leadership, motivating others, creating a great work environment, etc. I think that focusing your efforts through your MBA studies on both better understanding the financial side of the leadership equation and on better motivating the people side of the equation will make you a very well-rounded leader.

Good luck with your studies!

:beer2:

smslavin
12-19-2013, 12:56 PM
I think that focusing your efforts through your MBA studies on both better understanding the financial side of the leadership equation and on better motivating the people side of the equation will make you a very well-rounded leader.

this is exactly the goal :cheers: