PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wipers

AxleIke
12-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Boring topic I know, but its something that is driving me nuts.

Anyone have a good brand they use? I've tried those new goodyear ones, bosch, and the cheapo snow blades from the parts stores, and they all just make a smeary mess after a very short time.

And, its not consistent. Its not like the washer fluid won't work or something, I get very clean sections where the blade is wiping well, but I often get really bad stuff right in my field of view, and then very clean right below.

I also would be interested to know if anyone has any that actually do their job at 60 mph. May not be possible, but if you've got something I'd love to know.

I run a "summer" type blade, and snow blades generally, but open to anything that works at this point.

Cheers!

wesintl
12-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Bosch ICON have been the best and lasted the longest on my TDI. all others sucked rainx, oem, etc.

I park in a parking garage all day so my wipers don't see much UV. That's been the biggest difference,before that uv would wreck them all in 6mos

might be the windshield if it's been sand blasted in co and old

AxleIke
12-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Well, mine is garaged a lot, but is out in the sun a fair amount too. Interesting on the windshield. Its pretty old, but not cracked, so I've left it alone. My wifes is pretty new, and her wipers do the same though (she has good years).

I'll have to check if I got the Icon's or not. Are they a winter blade?

subzali
12-23-2013, 01:40 PM
I hate using winter blades because they act like wings at highway speeds, IME. I'd rather spend a couple minutes before driving off cleaning the ice out of them and I've had pretty good luck with the Rain X on my Tundra. The first set of OEMs on the Corolla were pretty good but the replacement rubbers I've not been overly impressed with so far. Might have to try Icons. I think in Colorado you'd better just replace them before every winter in any event.

RicardoJM
12-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Not a boring topic at all.

Driving back from the Pawnee Grasslands saturday evening, my wipers were not cutting it. To keep my winshield clean I was shooting wiper fluid often. The splash back from the road would dirty the windshield and the wiper would just leave bigger and bigger streaks - until I shot more fluid. Up until then, they had been great blades. They are ANCO (don't know the model) form fitting. When I inspected them, I didn't find any damage, i.e. they still were fully intact and pliable.

I picked up new ones Bosch Icon blades yesterday. They did ok this morning, but not as well as I would expect brand new blades to work. Perhaps it is just the driving conditions (cold, de-icer splash back versus "clean moisture"), but even with brand new blades I didn't like having to help them out with washer fluid as often as I had to.

AxleIke
12-23-2013, 02:13 PM
I hate using winter blades because they act like wings at highway speeds, IME. I'd rather spend a couple minutes before driving off cleaning the ice out of them and I've had pretty good luck with the Rain X on my Tundra. The first set of OEMs on the Corolla were pretty good but the replacement rubbers I've not been overly impressed with so far. Might have to try Icons. I think in Colorado you'd better just replace them before every winter in any event.

I agree winter blades are wings on the highway, and I always clean and deice the blade prior to driving, if the truck sat out or from work.

I find that non-winter blades ice up while driving in the snow, making them completely useless. If it is snowing hard, I end up having to pull over several times from denver to boulder or visa versa to de ice the wiper. Thats the only reason I go for the winter blades.

I didn't replace these, but I only had them on last winter, for maybe 4 months. I figured they'd be okay.

I will give a set of the icons a try, and see how they go. Ricardo, do you have an old windshield too? If that doesn't cut it, I'll look into Wes's idea of replacing the windshield. I do have windshield coverage on my insurance, anyone know if the windshield actually has to be cracked for it to kick in?

nuclearlemon
12-23-2013, 02:41 PM
i love the piaa blades. clean your windshield and run them on a dry windshield for a minute or so to get the silicone spread on the windshield.

as for the smearing that some are talking about, that's most likely the mag chloride. mc will smear. that's one of it's many horrible disadvantages. no matter how good your blades are, you have to have a liquid to clean it off. a cheap wiper will smear a bit, but will also clean in areas. if it's all smear, it's mc

RicardoJM
12-23-2013, 03:03 PM
... I will give a set of the icons a try, and see how they go. Ricardo, do you have an old windshield too? If that doesn't cut it, I'll look into Wes's idea of replacing the windshield. I do have windshield coverage on my insurance, anyone know if the windshield actually has to be cracked for it to kick in?

It is a couple of years old. It is in good condition, i.e. not at all pitted. I know for many, windshields are an annual replacement type of thing. I've been relatively blessed with the longevity of windshields.

Air Randy
12-23-2013, 03:35 PM
What about replacing the wiper arms themselves? You need an arm with a good strong spring to really force the blades down onto the glass. I know on my 40 I had to bend the arm closest to the blade downwards a little bit to get the blade to set square on the glass with even pressure. Before then, the wipers were pretty hit and miss like you describe yours.

AxleIke
12-23-2013, 04:15 PM
i love the piaa blades. clean your windshield and run them on a dry windshield for a minute or so to get the silicone spread on the windshield.

as for the smearing that some are talking about, that's most likely the mag chloride. mc will smear. that's one of it's many horrible disadvantages. no matter how good your blades are, you have to have a liquid to clean it off. a cheap wiper will smear a bit, but will also clean in areas. if it's all smear, it's mc

Where do you buy those wipers.

No, for me, the smearing is WITH washer fluid! As in, I can soak the windshield for 5 to 10 seconds and STILL have smears.

AxleIke
12-23-2013, 04:16 PM
What about replacing the wiper arms themselves? You need an arm with a good strong spring to really force the blades down onto the glass. I know on my 40 I had to bend the arm closest to the blade downwards a little bit to get the blade to set square on the glass with even pressure. Before then, the wipers were pretty hit and miss like you describe yours.

Possible. I'll check that. Thanks!

RicardoJM
12-23-2013, 04:20 PM

In my case the issue was with the LX470. Ironically enough, the cheap blades I run on the 40 do a great job in all weather of cleaning the small patch of windshield they cover. :D

wesintl
12-23-2013, 04:23 PM
That's why I went with the beam blade. pretty constant pressure. I used to have a low spot passenger side on my vw glass. The icons helped almost diminish it but it was still there. Finally glass replacement on a crack eliminated it completely.

Mag Chloride sucks, aint nothin going to help when its getting kicked up from in front of you.

nuclearlemon
12-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Where do you buy those wipers.

No, for me, the smearing is WITH washer fluid! As in, I can soak the windshield for 5 to 10 seconds and STILL have smears.

then you definitely have crap wiper blades. i've tried rainx, trico, anco and they all completely suck. oem was ok, but the piaas have been my favorites. i get then at 4wpw.com

60wag
12-23-2013, 05:27 PM
I haven't found any of the expensive blades to be better than the cheap ones. The cheap ones are less painful to replace often. I think the condition of the glass plays a big role in the ability of the blade to wipe the water off. My wife's SAAB has the original glass in it at 110k miles. It has a few rock chips in it but no cracks. The wipers can't clean it effectively. I've tried three different types of blades with no luck. I just scheduled a replacement. Unfortunately it has the stupid rain sensor stuck to the glass which will likely turn into a issue. We'll see. Hopefully new glass and new wiper blades will get back to safe visibility in bad weather.

AxleIke
12-23-2013, 06:08 PM
then you definitely have crap wiper blades. i've tried rainx, trico, anco and they all completely suck. oem was ok, but the piaas have been my favorites. i get then at 4wpw.com

Huh. Looks good. Now, which ones do you go with? Those hybrid ones are getting up to 70 bucks a set, which is a tad rich, but if they work, I'd give it a go.

DaveInDenver
12-23-2013, 06:48 PM
The cheap ones are less painful to replace often.
This is my M.O., replacement of standard issue blades early and often. I prefer the ANCO but IMHO they are interchangeable from all the major chains. My pickup is parked outside 24/7, though, so dry air and weather tends to wreck the rubber in no time. I watch for sales and buy 4 or 6 at a time when I dump waste oil or whatever.

Hulk
12-30-2013, 03:41 PM
The UV thing makes sense to me. Seems like I only had to replace wiper blades once every five years in Chicago and St. Louis. Here it seems like it's yearly.

Rzeppa
12-31-2013, 10:03 PM
This is a good thread that hits on a common issue we all have.

On my 40 series, they are blessed with the flat windshield so all that is really important is that the edge of the blades aren't totally abused and the spring pressure is adequate as was brought up earlier. All my 40 series are pretty good unless the snow is falling at a high rate while driving. Then it is mostly a defroster performance issue, rather than a wiper issue.

On the curved windshields of my 60 and my wife's bug and Yaris, yeesh! I feel your pain. I found that the so-called winter blades would not curve enough to clean the glass. I am running Bosch on the bug and OEM Toyota on the Yaris and 60. They are kinda meh. The bug and the 60 have a new windshields, and that helps.

X5 on the mag chloride. That stuff is devil's spawn. Just make people drive Land Cruisers and use good tyres and we could get rid of that stuff.

nuclearlemon
01-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Huh. Looks good. Now, which ones do you go with? Those hybrid ones are getting up to 70 bucks a set, which is a tad rich, but if they work, I'd give it a go.

wow, they have choices now? when i started running them, they just had a standard silicone blade (i ran one to test it because i thought $20 was a lot to plunk down per blade). now i just get refills for my blades. clean the windshield well, run them dry for a few minutes...good to go.

AxleIke
01-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Well, I'll have to see. I checked out the wipers at the local parts store, and they are around 9 bucks per. So, if the PIAA ones last for 2 seasons instead of one, then they are break even. And, to be honest, if they work really well for those two seasons, then they are better in my book, as the cheapy ones seem to suck after a few months.

I'm going to give them a go.

Rezarf
01-02-2014, 12:03 PM
I use Bosch Micro Edge since they still make an 11" blade for the 40. However, Rain-X is the best addition to any wiper system, I keep it on my windshield pretty religiously.

My 40 won't go 60mph so I have no idea if they work at speed.

AxleIke
01-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Huh, I tried that Rainx stuff drew, and it didn't seem to work very long, so I quit putting it on. I tried the washer fluid stuff, and it seemed to make a mess, sadly.

I'll post up when I get my 4WP order in, and have a chance to try them out.

CardinalFJ60
01-02-2014, 12:54 PM
...is that you have to re-apply like everytime you wash the car. (or monthly) if you keep up on it, it's pretty good.

wesintl
01-02-2014, 01:49 PM
My 40 won't go 60mph so I have no idea if they work at speed.

:confused: really? even downhill?

Caribou Sandstorm
01-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Costco has the Goodyear blades every year in the fall, they are like 1/3 the price of what I have seen at O'Rileys..

AxleIke
01-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Chris, thats what I was running, I wasn't that impressed. They seem to have the same issue after about a year. Also, I found them to collect ice very quickly in the snow, which was an issue.

simps80
01-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Chris, thats what I was running, I wasn't that impressed. They seem to have the same issue after about a year. Also, I found them to collect ice very quickly in the snow, which was an issue.

ditto, I bought a set from costco in May.
they didn't last through November before they were useless.

Rezarf
01-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Huh, I tried that Rainx stuff drew, and it didn't seem to work very long, so I quit putting it on.

...is that you have to re-apply like everytime you wash the car. (or monthly) if you keep up on it, it's pretty good.

Yeah I just reapply it with my car wash routine... Maybe 4 times a year. I'm totally sold on, I think of it like a safety feature it works so well.

:confused: really? even downhill?

I can get it to go 60, but 55 is butta'

CardinalFJ60
01-02-2014, 10:53 PM
On my Subaru I used to have the Michelin wipers. lasted for like 4 years and were great. Best wipers I've had. they are kinda like that new school rainx style wiper.

On the 60, I've been running the Anco Winter blades, I get'em at McGuckin. they work fine, and last about 2-3 years in my experience.

the 40 wipers suck.

That said, I think someone mentioned the condition of the glass and the tension on the arm has alot to do with it. I agree with that alot.

Also...on the subject of icing up of blades, I feel like 60's ice up pretty bad. I grew up driving a 60 in New England with wet snow, freezing rain, etc. You may notice I have one of those fugly 'bug-guards' on the front of my 60. :D I put that on for snow deflection - since it's been on there, no icing up of the blades. Of course, that comes with a price - you have to install it on your truck :lmao:...but it's grown on me and now part of my 60. :thumb: (no offense to those who love the bug-guards)

AxleIke
01-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Huh, maybe I got a defective batch or something. It seemed ok for a week or so. Then it was smear central. Summer time application. I'm talking about the stuff in the yellow spray bottle, btw.

AxleIke
01-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Good points on the bug guard, but I think that may be vehicle specific. I had one on my old 4 runner and I still had icing issues. The new baby beast doesn't have one, and the problem doesn't seem any better or worse. May just be the windshield shape and orientation.

On my Subaru I used to have the Michelin wipers. lasted for like 4 years and were great. Best wipers I've had. they are kinda like that new school rainx style wiper.

On the 60, I've been running the Anco Winter blades, I get'em at McGuckin. they work fine, and last about 2-3 years in my experience.

the 40 wipers suck.

That said, I think someone mentioned the condition of the glass and the tension on the arm has alot to do with it. I agree with that alot.

Also...on the subject of icing up of blades, I feel like 60's ice up pretty bad. I grew up driving a 60 in New England with wet snow, freezing rain, etc. You may notice I have one of those fugly 'bug-guards' on the front of my 60. :D I put that on for snow deflection - since it's been on there, no icing up of the blades. Of course, that comes with a price - you have to install it on your truck :lmao:...but it's grown on me and now part of my 60. :thumb: (no offense to those who love the bug-guards)

Rzeppa
01-06-2014, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=CardinalFJ60;244136That said, I think someone mentioned the condition of the glass and the tension on the arm has alot to do with it. I agree with that alot.[/QUOTE]

That was me. In particular, (and this is especially true for 40s) if your windshield gets sand-blasted from all the sand on the road getting kicked up by traffic in front of you or by the wind, then it really wears wipers out a lot faster.