PDA

View Full Version : Passed emissions!!

nakman
09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Yahoo! No mention of the lack of cats, smog stuff, or flipped bezel. :thumb:

Wasn't my most stellar test performance though..

HC- limit 400, 133.3 @ 2500rpm, 295.5 @ idle
CO- limit 3.00, 1.08 @ 2500rpm, 2.87 @ idle
CO2- no limit, 14.21 @ 2500rpm, 11.95 @ idle

so now I just tell the DMV I need collector plates, and that's it?

Romer
09-01-2006, 02:14 PM
make sure its the 5yr plate

corsair23
09-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Yep! I had the same 'experience' with my '76...The folks running the emissions place for the most part just assume that a vehicle that old didn't have any emissions stuff :)

On a side note...I have heard of people that get pulled over by cops when driving around with collector's plates...No first hand experience hear in the 4+ years I driven a FJ with them however...

What I was told is that a collector's plate is designed for LIMITED use...Such as for car shows and what not. It is not supposed to be on a daily driver or even a vehicle that is driven regularly. I've searched the DMV site extensively looking for ANY information that states this and I came up empty. When I registered my '74 last fall I asked the DMV person doing the paperwork point blank what 'use' restrictions there were registering a vehicle this way (they suggested doing so as they had back when I registerd my '76).

The person stated they weren't aware of any use restrictions...The benefit was you didn't have to get a yearly e-test. You DO have to pay the 5 yrs worth of fees up front but on a 25+ year old vehicle that typically isn't too much.

Maybe there is some obscure rule/law that the DMV folks aren't aware of but the police are??

Romer
09-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Collector plates can be used on Daily drivers and are not limited in any way

Hulk
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
There are three kinds of Collector plates. As long as you get the blue one, you should be fine.

Collector Series Plate
http://www.revenue.state.co.us/mv_dir/Images/plates/collector.gif
Colorado Revised Statute 42-12-101 & 102
Issued to a passenger or light truck (less than 16,000 pounds empty weight) that is at least twenty-five (25) years old. Registration period is for five (5) years. Taxes and fees collected shall be five (5) times the annual taxes and fees normally collected.
---------------------------------------------
Collector Truck/Tractor Plate
http://www.revenue.state.co.us/mv_dir/Images/plates/collectortrktra.gif
Colorado Revised Statutes 42-12-101 & 42-12-102 (c) (I) (II) (III)
Truck/tractors which are at least 25 years old. Not for commercial use. Use restricted to and from assemblies, conventions, or other meetings where such vehicles are the primary interest, special occasions, demonstrations, parades, tours, etc.
---------------------------------------------
Horseless Carriage Plate
http://www.revenue.state.co.us/mv_dir/Images/plates/horselesscarr.gif
Colorado Revised Statute 42-3-138
Issued to passenger and light truck (less than 16,000 pounds empty weight) that were manufactured in 1942 or prior. Limited driving to/from auto club functions, to/from repair facilities, occasional leisure drive, etc. Registration period is for a set five (5) year period. License fee is $5.00 and specific ownership tax is $1.50 for each of the years remaining for the five (5) year period. Current registration cycle expires in December, 2004.

corsair23
09-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys!!

Guess I didn't realize or see that there were other versions of collector plates! Good information to know just in case :) you do get pulled over and questioned. I can now relax about cruising around and enjoying the drive/ride rather that looking out for the police ;)

Romer
09-01-2006, 05:10 PM
The 5 year blue is the one that says you never have to do emissions again. You can get the blue one on a one year, but then . . . .

corsair23
09-01-2006, 05:13 PM
The 5 year blue is the one that says you never have to do emissions again. You can get the blue one on a one year, but then . . . .

I have the 5yr blue...I didn't realize I never have to do emissions again either (never reached the 5yr limit with my '76). What a bonus! :beer:

Nothing like such good news on a Friday heading into a long holiday weekend!! :thumb:

PabloCruise
09-04-2006, 06:49 AM
What RPM were you idling at?

nakman
09-04-2006, 02:40 PM
What RPM were you idling at?

Shark Bait
09-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Woo hoo!! :woot: :yeahdude:

nakman
09-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Hey, what's the approximate cost of one of these 5 year registrations? Not a ton, right? hoping to get this done on Thursday...

2badfjs
09-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Hey, what's the approximate cost of one of these 5 year registrations? Not a ton, right? hoping to get this done on Thursday...

my 69 5yr plates run about $125.

well worth not having to e-test it again........EVER!:thumb:

unless you sell it, then it would have to be tested...FYI

now lets build a bumper for that rig ;)

RJ1184
09-05-2006, 02:21 PM
You all have some good information in here. However, collector plates do have some restrictions on use (See Section 5 Below). Technically you could be cited for "Misuse of Plates" and have your vehicle impounded and plates seized. I know that’s extreme but it could happen.

Trust me I been in Law Enforcement for 10 years and I've met all kinds of LEO's. Me personally I don't get to excited about it unless it’s 1 am and I’m on DUI OT .... :beer:

Let me know if you disagree. I'm always good for a debate on State or Federal Law.. :thumb:

42-3-219. Special registration of collectors' items.

(1) (a) The department may specially register and issue a special registration plate for motor vehicles valued principally because of the vehicles' early date of manufacture, design, or historical interest or valued as collectors' items.

(b) In addition to any other registration, the department may approve use of original plates for motor vehicles valued principally because of the vehicles' early date of manufacture, design, or historical interest or valued as collectors' items. The use of a vehicle bearing such original plates shall be limited to the uses authorized in subsection (5) of this section when using the original plates authorized in this section. An original plate shall meet the following criteria in order to qualify for use under this paragraph (b):

(I) The plates were made before 1943;

(II) The plates are embossed with the year of original issue;

(III) The plates are legible;

(IV) The plates were issued contemporaneously with the year of manufacture of the vehicle upon which they are displayed, as determined by the department; and

(V) The plates do not exceed seven characters.

(2) The plates issued under paragraph (a) of subsection (1) of this section shall be of a design determined by the executive director of the department. Such design shall be different from that used by the state for regular motor vehicle registration.

(3) (a) The executive director of the department may register such vehicles and issue such plates for a period not exceeding five years, but all such registrations and plates shall expire on the same date regardless of the date of issue.

(b) Upon the expiration of the five-year period ending with the year 1959, and each five years thereafter, the registration plate originally issued for each vehicle shall remain with the vehicle. The executive director of the department shall issue a tab to be securely fastened to the plate showing the five years for which the motor vehicle is registered.

(c) A registration issued pursuant to this section shall be renewed within thirty days prior to the expiration date of the registration. If the application for renewal, together with the fees, is not received by the executive director prior to the expiration date, the executive director shall notify the registered owner, at the address shown by the department's records, by regular mail, to reregister said vehicle or surrender the registration plate within ten days after the registration expiration date. If the notice is not complied with, the executive director shall secure the return of the plate.

(4) The fee for issuing such registration and special registration plate or tab shall be five dollars for each five-year period or fraction thereof. In addition to the five-dollar registration fee, the executive director of the department shall collect the one dollar and fifty cent annual specific ownership fee provided by law for each year of registration, which additional fee shall be collected for the number of years remaining at the time of registration and issuance or renewal of the registration.

(5) Motor vehicles having such special registration plates may be used on the streets and highways for driving such vehicle to and from assemblies, conventions, or other meetings where such vehicles and their ownership are the primary interest. Vehicles so registered may also be used or driven on special occasions, for demonstrations and parades, and on occasions when their operation on the streets and highways will not constitute a traffic hazard. They may also be used for traveling to and from and while on local, state, or national tours held primarily for the exhibition and enjoyment of such vehicles.

(6) Upon the sale or transfer of a motor vehicle bearing a special registration plate, the plate shall remain with the vehicle and be transferred to the new owner. The new owner shall title such motor vehicle as provided by law, and notice of the transfer of ownership shall be given to the department.

(7) All applications for special registration of motor vehicles shall be made directly to the department of revenue. All matters concerning such registration shall be administered by the department. All fees received from special registrations shall be transferred to the state treasurer and credited to the highway users tax fund.

(8) The executive director may prepare any special forms and issue any rules necessary to implement this section.

(9) When application is made to the executive director for a title to a vehicle described in subsection (1) of this section, the executive director shall accept the original motor or serial number on such vehicle and shall not require or issue a special identification number for such vehicle.

(10) On or after January 1, 2007, an applicant may apply for personalized license plates issued with a specialized registration issued pursuant to this section. If the applicant complies with section 42-3-211, the department may issue such plates upon payment of the additional fee required by section 42-3-211 (6) for personalized license plates. If the applicant has existing personalized license plates for a motor vehicle, the applicant may transfer the combination of letters or numbers to a new set of license plates for the vehicle upon paying the fee imposed by section 42-3-211 (6) (a) and upon turning in such existing plates to the department as required by the department. A person who has obtained personalized collector license plates under this subsection (10) shall pay the annual fee imposed by section 42-3-211 (6) (b) to renew such plates. The fees imposed by this subsection (10) shall be in addition to all other taxes and fees imposed for collector license plates.

History
Source: L. 2005: Entire article amended with relocations, p. 1131, § 2, effective August 8.

Annotations
Editor's note: (1) Prior to 1994, this section was numbered as 42-3-128.

(2) From 1994 to 2004, this section was numbered as 42-3-138.

wesintl
09-05-2006, 02:27 PM
You all have some good information in here. However, collector plates do have some restrictions on use (See Section 5 Below). Technically you could be cited for "Misuse of Plates" and have your vehicle impounded and plates seized. I know that’s extreme but it could happen.

(5) Vehicles so registered may also be used or driven on special occasions,

Line above should exclude all other definations afaik. :blah: How does the state define my special occasion and how many I have a day ;)

RJ1184
09-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Line above should exclude all other definations afaik. :blah: How does the state define my special occasion and how many I have a day ;)

Well, that's up for debate. There is no definition for "Special Occasion" in state law therefore we must rely on the old fashioned Webster Dictionary.

Special Occasion could be argued in many different ways. To and from work everyday doesn't really classify it as a special occasion in my opinion. :)

Most likely on a roadside stop I would not be able to prove what the vehicle / or intent of the vehicle's use was for at that time.

As to how many we have in a day or before we drive, my best advice is to be smart and know your limit. Trust me there isn't anything wrong with havin' a cold one or two and then driving unless that one or two gives you a buzz.

By the way, I'm not a Law Preacher... What I mean is I don't point out everything illegal I see and try to correct people on it. I like to have a good time just like everyone else. :beer2: :headbang:

Romer
09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Could easily use this as well:

and on occasions when their operation on the streets and highways will not constitute a traffic hazard.

nakman
09-05-2006, 04:32 PM
(5) Motor vehicles having such special registration plates may be used on the streets and highways for driving such vehicle to and from assemblies, conventions, or other meetings

This is exactly how I intend to use my FJ40. Drive it to club meetings, club events, etc.

where such vehicles and their ownership are the primary interest.
You hit it on the head there. I drive a Land Cruiser every day, talk about them often, sometimes dream about them. Yes, it is my primary interest, and when I drive it to work it is also of interest to the other Land Cruiser enthusiasts here.

Vehicles so registered may also be used or driven on special occasions, for demonstrations and parades, and on occasions when their operation on the streets and highways will not constitute a traffic hazard. They may also be used for traveling to and from and while on local, state, or national tours held primarily for the exhibition and enjoyment of such vehicles.

Yeah I'll definitely bring it to the next rally, swap meet, maybe even a TLCA event. And going the speed limit in the right lane is hardly a traffic hazard. what a great law, sign me up! :thumb:

Hulk
09-05-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm wondering if the restrictions only apply if you're using an original (made before 1943) plate. See quoted material:

(b) In addition to any other registration, the department may approve use of original plates for motor vehicles valued principally because of the vehicles' early date of manufacture, design, or historical interest or valued as collectors' items. The use of a vehicle bearing such original plates shall be limited to the uses authorized in subsection (5) of this section when using the original plates authorized in this section. An original plate shall meet the following criteria in order to qualify for use under this paragraph (b):

subzali
09-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Just tell the ocifer that your other vehicle broke down because it's not a Land Cruiser and you're just driving it temporarily. It also sounded to me like this was talking about plates 1943 and older too...:confused:

corsair23
09-05-2006, 11:43 PM
OK...Now I'm CONFUSED again...

It seems the DMV and the Police don't agree on this issue at all.

Hulk, you posted up info about sections 42-12-101 & 102 and those are the plates I believe most of us have. You also posted up info about sections 42-3-138 (section was 42-3-128 prior to '94 then 42-3-138 from '94 to '04 and is now apparently 42-3-219) which seems to be what RJ is referring to...

I think this is where we all can get into trouble...If the police are referring to one section of code (42-3-138) and applying that to completely different plate types (42-12-101) then who is in the right?

RJ, could you look up 42-12-101 for us and tell us YOU would interpret this from the law enforcement side? Seems to me 42-3-138 is really more applicable to antiques running antigue plates such as a Model A or Model T...

I for one would REALLY like to get a definitive answer on this before I end up trying to explain myself in court. I don't want a judge telling me that "Ignorance is NOT an excuse" and that "You shouldn't have relied on what the DMV told you".

THANKS!!

P.S. Just found this link:

http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll/Infobase4/6208f?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0&t=document-frame.htm&tc=contents.htm&fc=toc

Click on "Collector's Items" then "Registration of Collector's Items" to get here:

http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll/Infobase4/6208f/64f34/64f36/64f4b?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_42-12-102

Here is what you get...I bolded what I think is applicable:

42-12-102. Registration of collectors' items.
Statute text
(1) Except for those motor vehicles that are entitled to registration under the provisions of section 42-3-219, collectors' items shall be titled, registered, and a specific ownership tax shall be paid thereon in the same manner as provided in this title for other motor vehicles, with the following exceptions:

(a) Such collectors' items shall be registered for periods of five years. The taxes and fees imposed for registration of a collector's item for each five-year registration period shall be equal to five times the annual taxes and fees which would otherwise be imposed for the registration of such motor vehicle under this title and under title 43, C.R.S. In addition to any other such taxes and fees, if a collector's item is registered in a county which is a member of one or more highway authorities and such authority or authorities have imposed an annual motor vehicle registration fee or fees pursuant to the provisions of section 43-4-506 (1) (k), C.R.S., then five times such annual motor vehicle registration fee or fees shall be imposed and remitted to such authority or authorities.

(b) (I) No collector's item of model year 1960 or later for which a certification of emissions control is required under the provisions of sections 42-4-301 to 42-4-316 shall be registered under the provisions of this section unless a certification of emissions control is obtained for such collector's item. Reregistration of such collector's item by the same owner shall not require the obtainment of a new certification of emissions control, but such collector's item shall not be registered under the provisions of this section after the sale or transfer of such vehicle to a new owner until a new certification of emissions control has been obtained for such collector's item.

(II) Notwithstanding subparagraph (I) of this paragraph (b), collector's items of model year 1970 or earlier may be registered under the provisions of this section without a certification of emissions control for such collector's items if the division of administration in the department of public health and environment recommends and the air quality control commission determines that exempting such collector's items will not negatively affect the federal environmental protection agency's approval of the SIP and to the extent that doing so is allowed under federal law.

(c) The annual registration fee for a truck or truck tractor that has an empty weight of six thousand one pounds or more or a declared gross vehicle weight of sixteen thousand one pounds or more and is a collectors' item, shall be sixty-five dollars if such vehicle is used exclusively for noncommercial transportation and only used to drive:

(I) To and from assemblies, conventions, or other meetings where such vehicles and their ownership are the primary interest;

(II) For special occasions, demonstrations, and parades and on occasions when their operation on the streets and highways will not constitute a traffic hazard; or

(III) Traveling to and from and while on local, state, or national tours held primarily for the exhibition and enjoyment of such vehicles by their owners.

(d) For purposes of paragraph (c) of this subsection (1), "noncommercial transportation" means a truck or truck tractor used exclusively for private transportation of passengers or cargo for purposes unrelated in any way to a business or commercial enterprise.

(2) (a) An owner of a collector's item that is not operated upon the highways of this state and that is kept on private property for the purpose of maintenance, repair, restoration, rebuilding, or any other similar purpose shall pay an annual specific ownership tax as provided in section 42-3-106 on any such motor vehicle owned by such owner, except owners of parts cars as defined in section 42-12-101 (3), or licensed garages or licensed automobile dealers. The payment of the specific ownership tax shall be made in the manner provided in section 42-3-219.

(b) Upon payment of the specific ownership tax as provided in this subsection (2), the department of revenue shall issue to the owner of the motor vehicle for which the tax has been paid a license, sticker, decal, or other device evidencing such payment, as may be prescribed by the executive director. When such device or license is affixed to the motor vehicle for which issued, the owner of that motor vehicle shall be permitted to keep such motor vehicle on private property for the purposes of maintenance, repair, restoration, rebuilding, or renovation.

(3) Notwithstanding the amount specified for any fee in subsection (1) of this section, the executive director of the department of revenue by rule or as otherwise provided by law may reduce the amount of one or more of the fees if necessary pursuant to section 24-75-402 (3), C.R.S., to reduce the uncommitted reserves of the fund to which all or any portion of one or more of the fees is credited. After the uncommitted reserves of the fund are sufficiently reduced, the executive director of the department of revenue by rule or as otherwise provided by law may increase the amount of one or more of the fees as provided in section 24-75-402 (4), C.R.S.

History
Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2512, § 1, effective January 1, 1995. L. 97: (1)(c) and (1)(d) amended, p. 1072, § 2, effective January 1, 1998. L. 98: (3) added, p. 1359, § 116, effective June 1. L. 2001: (1)(b) amended, p. 1026, § 12, effective June 5. L. 2005: IP(1) and (2)(a) amended, p. 1180, § 24, effective August 8.

Annotations
Editor's note: (1) This section was formerly numbered as 42-15-102 and the former section 42-12-102 was relocated to section 42-10-102.

(2) The introductory portion to subsection (1) and subsection (2)(a) were contained in a 2005 act that was passed without a safety clause. For further explanation concerning the effective date, see page vii of this volume.

Annotations
Cross references: For the legislative declaration contained in the 2001 act amending subsection (1)(b), see section 1 of chapter 278, Session Laws of Colorado 2001.

Of course trying to follow all the twists and turns and references to other sections is like trying to nail jello to a wall HOWEVER as I read this (and referencing the other sections as appropriate) it appears to me that there are NO use restrictions for 1960s through 1981 (as of '06) FJs running the blue 5 year collector plates...

Now, can I get this in writing from a judge? :)

nakman
09-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Well I'm no judge but you all hereby have my permission to drive your 40 every day. :)

Thanks, Corsair, for the post.. good stuff! I may just bring that with me to the DMV tomorrow, keep in the not-so-proverbial back pocket ;)

PabloCruise
09-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Or you could just run reg plates...

RJ1184
09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Could easily use this as well:

and on occasions when their operation on the streets and highways will not constitute a traffic hazard.

Yeah, that's really intresting and funny because I've seen a lot P.O.S.'s with collector plates that have caused traffic problems.

RJ1184
09-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Boy oh Boy! I really stirred things up with this thread. When I read 42-12-101 thru 104 it is talking about “Collectors” a person like you all who belong to a club and restores vehicles. It also talks about “Collector’s Item” which is a vehicle at least 25 years old.

42-12-102 This section is really just talking about collector’s items and parts cars taxation and emission. It doesn’t specify operation of collector items. It does talk about operation for restored vehicles at GVWR 16,000 lbs or more. This would be for old Commercial Trucks or Farm Truck.

42-12-103 Only talks about storage of collector vehicles and “Junk Yards” requiring to be fenced.

42-12-104 Is addressing original equipment on the Collector Vehicle.

As you can tell we haven’t seen anything that addresses the license plate and operation of the Collector Vehicles. So we must look at C.R.S. Section 42-3 the Taxation and registration section in the Colorado Traffic Code. This section talks about the plates and where and how they must be displayed. It also addresses the different types of plates and who may display them. Which is how I ended up at 42-3-219 Registration of Collectors Items.

This section tells us that someone may use the original plate of such vehicle or you may obtain a collector plate.

What we are running into is in 42-3-219 (5) Use of Collectors Items and Collector Plates. It’s really going to boil down to you and how you articulate your use of the vehicle.

For instance, if you drive it to work everyday and your vehicle has become or is part of your work then you are good to go. However, if you drive it to work everyday and tow trailer full of lawn mowers because you have a lawn care business then it is improperly registered.

When I originally replied to this thread I just wanted to caution you all so that you were aware of the rule and could avoid a possible situation with the police. I’m sure you will all be fine. Like I said it how you articulate your explanation to the police.

Hopefully this helps…..

Hulk
09-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Ryan, your input is always welcome. We're always up for a good debate and analyzing complex information. You're among friends.

treerootCO
09-07-2006, 06:07 AM
I got pulled over last night after the meeting. The friendly officer said nothing about my collector plates.

The $300 fine was a bit steep though. I guess the revenue from Westminster's five Wal-Marts isn't enough to cover the budget. Don't turn left on a red turn arrow:hill:

nakman
09-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Yes welcome Ryan, these are great comments!

is that a picture of the cop car you drive? Looks like it could probably out-run my 40... :lmao:

PabloCruise
09-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I got pulled over last night after the meeting. The friendly officer said nothing about my collector plates.

The $300 fine was a bit steep though. I guess the revenue from Westminster's five Wal-Marts isn't enough to cover the budget. Don't turn left on a red turn arrow:hill:

:eek: :( :rant: Bummer...

Hulk
09-07-2006, 09:06 AM
The $300 fine was a bit steep though.

Harsh! That's a huge fine for running a red light. :mad::mad::mad:

Uncle Ben
09-07-2006, 10:46 AM

OUCH! :eek: :rant: Major bummer doood! At least the 40 aired you out real good prior!

RJ1184
09-09-2006, 06:34 AM
is that a picture of the cop car you drive? :lmao:

No those are just pics of our new Chargers! I have several of them. I like the mountain background.

RJ1184
09-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Harsh! That's a huge fine for running a red light. :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah it is!! Colorado's fine is only $58. See it's all about the revenue for these local governments.