PDA

View Full Version : Matt's trailer build question thread

Hulk
01-07-2014, 01:57 PM
About 3 years ago, I started building a trailer with Old40Dog. We got the tub and frame welded up and added an axle. Then work got crazy for me, and my trailer sat on the side of my house for a while. In the meantime, Dave finished his and has been wheeling with it for the last 2 years.

In the last few months, I've been able to revive my trailer project. I got the taillights installed and all the wiring done, painted the whole thing with POR-15, etc.

Now today, my trailer has been officially licensed! There is still work to be done, but it's roadworthy and legal. It's a good feeling.

I have some questions to pose to all of you who have already been down this road. First, I'll post some photos. :)

Hulk
01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
OK, so here is my first question: do you guys cover this with your automotive insurance? Homeowner's insurance? None at all? Just curious what I need to do.

wesintl
01-07-2014, 02:24 PM
usually on utility trailers they are covered under the vehicles ins. at least in co they require proof of vehicle ins to register it. Talk to your ins agent and see if it's covered under the vehicle or you need to have it separate

nakman
01-07-2014, 02:27 PM
You need to verify with your policy, but I believe most auto policies also cover what you're towing. At least mine does (State Farm).

trailer's looking good!

Jacket
01-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Cool Matt! I was wondering when you were going to unveil this "secret project"...

Inukshuk
01-07-2014, 07:21 PM
1) get insurance for inverted aerials. :lmao: :lmao:
2) keep that tongue long on dirt roads. :lmao: :lmao:
3) add a drain hole. :lmao: :lmao:

Seriously, those are bombproof trailers.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Looks Awesome!!

I did not have to show proof of insurance when I got my plates last month. can't remember what the gal said at the counter, on why not..

I am going to call my insurance tomorrow.

I would drill a whole and then get a rubber stopper to place in it. Also never put a bag of charcoal in the back when going on a trip... I know, what was I thinking...

Matt are you going to put a lid on it? My trailer guy might be able to fab one up for you if you do not have the time, to do it your self.

Hulk
01-08-2014, 01:31 AM
add a drain hole. :lmao: :lmao:

This is really necessary?

Looks Awesome!!

I did not have to show proof of insurance when I got my plates last month. can't remember what the gal said at the counter, on why not..

No, I didn't need to show insurance either. I got my license plate today. :)

Matt are you going to put a lid on it? My trailer guy might be able to fab one up for you if you do not have the time, to do it your self.

Lid is in my garage. I didn't need it to get it registered, so I didn't bother putting it on. I'm planning to attach a Yakima rack to the top of the lid so I can haul 6-7 bicycles on road trips.

Inukshuk
01-08-2014, 09:04 AM
This is really necessary?

Dave would have liked one the time his water tank leaked.

nakman
01-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Yeah, think of just being able to just hose it out occasionally, or even take it to a car wash. I could see this becoming some oozing boy Scout parade volcano some day, you'll want to wash away that baking soda and red vinegar. :)

Rezarf
01-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Matt, mine is under my car insurance.

Cheeseman
01-08-2014, 12:32 PM
My only question with insurance is this. Does your existing auto insurance cover the trailer itself only ? Does it also cover the contents of the trailer or is that a separate item ?

Corbet
01-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Check with your INS carrier.

I have a policy on my Starcraft camper but not on my M101a or boat/trailer. From memory the camper policy is compressive for things like a tree falling on it or theft from my home. The auto policy covers it on the road in case of accident. Its been a couple years but thats what I recall.

And yes put a drain hole in it. If the tailgate does not fold put one in all four corners. For my M101a I have them up front only as I have a tailgate. Install plugs if you feel the need. Check boat supply or just use a nut and bolt if you want it water tight for general use.

Jenny Cruiser
01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Most auto insurance policies will cover whatever damage may be done by the trailer while it is being towed, but if you get into an accident and the trailer is totalled you're SOL. If you want coverage for the trailer and/or contents your homeowner's policy will likely cover that if it's parked at your residence, but for damage to the trailer itself and/or it's contents while on the road you usually have to have it added to your auto policy.

I totalled a large enclosed trailer and a cruiser in WY and my State Farm Auto policy did not cover the cost of the the trailer as I did not have it listed specifically on my policy. :(

PhatFJ
01-10-2014, 10:04 AM
I have State Farm also and pull my flatbed with many different vehicles on it and have put side walls on it as well to help move. My agent told me that the trailer and anything I am towing is covered under the policy of the vehicle pulling the load as it is an extension of the vehicle as is my jet ski when I am pulling it. This is why I keep full coverage on my tow vehicle..

Hulk
03-15-2014, 07:02 PM
So what do you guys use for a drain? I was looking at this from West Marine:

WEST MARINE
Garboard Drain Plug
Allows quick drainage of boat when hauled out. 1/2" NPT tapered pipe threads ensure a watertight fit.
Cast brass construction
Flange diameter is 2" and is drilled and countersunk for #8 screws
Neck depth: 3/8"

http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--garboard-drain-plug--P006_181_003_505

My concern is that this won't be flush on the inside of the trailer.

Old40Dog
03-15-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm using the M416 style drain in mine. this is what it looks like on the underside of the trailer. The rubber plug is held against the hole in the bottom of the trailer by the spring. You just pull and twist to open the drain.

Hulk
03-15-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm using the M416 style drain in mine. this is what it looks like on the underside of the trailer. The rubber plug is held against the hole in the bottom of the trailer by the spring. You just pull and twist to open the drain.

1. How does it attach to the tub? Is it welded on, screwed on, or just held with the force of the spring?

2. Is it leak proof?

3. Where did you buy?

Squishy!
03-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Out of sheer curiosity (CAUSE I WANT ONE) how much did the build cost?

Hulk
03-16-2014, 12:33 AM
Out of sheer curiosity (CAUSE I WANT ONE) how much did the build cost?

Way more than I originally estimated. Honestly, I haven't kept track on purpose. I'm guessing I'm $3K in so far.

Old40Dog
03-16-2014, 09:15 AM
1. How does it attach to the tub? Is it welded on, screwed on, or just held with the force of the spring?

2. Is it leak proof?

3. Where did you buy?

1) 2 tabs welded to the tub and retainer is pop-riveted to the tabs.

2) No leaks yet. Was on all last year.

3) Bought it here.http://www.midwestmilitary.net/trailerparts.html Retainer - $19 Plug - $26

TIMZTOY
03-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Matt.
did you paint over your POR-15 ?
because it breaks down in the sun and UV.
unless you bought there UV resistant "special" POR-15 product.
just a heads up.

TIMZTOY
03-24-2014, 05:17 PM
are you sure that's not my Frame and Tub? because that looks exactly like my build and engineering.... :confused:

Hulk
03-25-2014, 01:45 AM
Matt.
did you paint over your POR-15 ?
because it breaks down in the sun and UV.
unless you bought there UV resistant "special" POR-15 product.
just a heads up.

Haven't painted over it yet, but I will be doing so in the next couple of months.

Old40Dog
03-25-2014, 09:37 AM
are you sure that's not my Frame and Tub? because that looks exactly like my build and engineering.... :confused:

Yes, it's your design Tim. Matt's is the other build done at the same time as mine.

Hulk
06-27-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm really struggling trying to figure out which trailer jack to order that will be tall enough for the height of the tongue when it's level. The height of the tongue is about 27.5" when it's level in my garage (to the middle of the frame). I like the idea of the pipe mount jacks that can be completely removed rather than permanently attaching the trailer jack to the front of the frame, but all of these seem too short. I called eTrailer and they recommended a few jacks:

Fulton Trailer Jack - FHD2500 (http://www.etrailer.com/p-FHD2500.html) - this one is tall but it's a bolt-on.

Shelby Trailer Jack - 6108SW (http://www.etrailer.com/p-6108SW.html) - seems pretty good except it would need to be welded on permanently.

Guys who have trailers -- where did you find your tall trailer jack?

nakman
06-30-2014, 11:46 PM
I am liking this swing-up one from HF> http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-swing-back-trailer-jack-with-flat-base-69782.html

I know it's too low for you, but maybe you could figure out a way to make it permanently taller? What I like about it is you weld on this little round thing with holes, then there's a pin you remove to either swivel it up 90, or just remove it altogether. I have ended up just removing it, then tossing it inside when not in use.

Maybe there's a similar one that's taller? Or just toss in a couple scrap 4x4's... or go find a big rock. :hill: