PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday's meeting at Toyota

Ray 2014
01-09-2014, 06:41 AM
I met some of you at the Wednesday evening meeting, it was very interesting to see how another club handles a meeting, I'm a 14 year member of the Trail Ridge Runners in Longmont and missed around 12 meeting in 14 years.

1. I like that the meeting stayed on schedule and on time. Topics where kept to a minimal.
2. I liked that there was a 3 minute time to meet the new people, I was glad I was one of about 6, it would be uncomfortable if I was the only guy.
3. I liked the idea that to become a member you need to go to one meeting and go on one club event.
4. The raffle at the end of the meeting was nice, a lot of work for the person who is in charge of this every month to find prizes, not an easy job.
5. I think I heard something about yearly dues and cost, I think $50.00 ( $25.00 to the club and $25.00 to other organizations ) is a great price, might be the cheapest 4x4 membership in Colorado ?
6. Club buying lunch after a run ??? seems odd, not used to this. The members should feel lucky, not sure how many other clubs can afford this ? I'm sure this does not happen after every run.
7. The Trail Ridge Runners has so many women involved at meetings, runs and events it was odd to so only IGY ( spelling ) at the meeting...why no women ? are your wives afraid to show up since no other women do ?..sorry guys..I feel something is wrong here, but it's what your used to. If anything keeps me from joining it's that, my wife will not come or go on runs if there are no women (most of the time ) I'm sure some do go on runs or events.
8. Meeting place is great, Stevenson Toyota has a great meeting room. Having to get out the door at 9:00pm was tough, but helps keep the meeting on schedule.

Sorry for the long write up, just what I seen from being a guest. I WAS going on the snow run..until the state meeting was moved to the 25th, I'm the Delegate for the T.R.R. club for 2014.

Ray

Romer
01-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the post. I didnt make the meeting becaus eof work.

Both my daughters or members with their own trucks. There are a couple of other ladies in the club. Most don't make a meeting. Your point is well taken though. Do you have a suggestion on how to work that?

Ray 2014
01-09-2014, 07:37 AM
How about planning a couples or ladies meeting night. Everyone bring a side dish to share. Have the women plan a Ladies run, the guys pack the lunch, the women drive. Let the women pick the meeting place and trail. Give them 100 % full control of the event
We ( T.R.R. ) do a Ladies run every year. Not all women will drive, but they at least know there will be women on the trip that day.

DaveInDenver
01-09-2014, 07:49 AM
There are a couple of other ladies in the club. Most don't make a meeting. Your point is well taken though. Do you have a suggestion on how to work that?
There is a vibe that's hard to explain, the club ebbs and flows. For a while when there are bunch of new members and families with stock-ish trucks, the runs are fun and about exploring but over time the trucks get bigger, the runs get harder and things get hard core. It's always seemed to me that there's this underlying attitude that being a Toyota-only club we've got something to prove and the trucks always have to get built to beat trails into submission and we forget why we started in the first place.

AxleIke
01-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Can't speak for anyone else, but my wife never goes to meetings or events or runs. She doesn't like wheeling nor talking about trucks, and really doesn't like trucks in general, so its just me when I can make anything. Work has been crazy for the last few years so I haven't done much.

Didn't quite understand the issue with the lunch? Are you saying its a bad plan? I always liked that, and no, its not an every run thing. Its an annual thing for the Snow run in January, and occasionally has happened on other runs, but its not every run.

AxleIke
01-09-2014, 07:52 AM
There is a vibe that's hard to explain, the club ebbs and flows. For a while when there are bunch of new members and families with stock-ish trucks, the runs are fun and about exploring but over time the trucks get bigger, the runs get harder and things get hard core. It's always seemed to me that there's this underlying attitude that being a Toyota-only club we've got something to prove and the trucks always have to get built to beat trails into submission and we forget why we started in the first place.

Disagree there completely. There are very few hardcore trucks in the club Dave. And most club runs are on pretty mild to medium trails: Yankee Hill, Moab has lots of easier runs, Chinamans, Triple Bypass, 40's only run, etc... Holy Cross gets run, but again, that's once a year, and its not "hard core" just "difficult" and requiring lockers and slightly larger tires. I've only seen a few runs over my entire membership in the club posted up to Carnage, Penrose, or Montrose.

There are a ton of IFS 100's in the club now, as well as a ton of Taco's and 4runners. Very few are hardcore.

Ray 2014
01-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Some know, most don't know. I just sold my Rock crawler of 15 years, the T.R.R. years ago did a lot of level 10 trails, over the years we have gone away from the level 10 and do more 7 and under and more easy site seeing trips, which I have come to love, my wife and I get to see more of the trail, in the past is was a short trail breaking down with the tool bag or welder out.
Reason I purchased the 09 Tacoma, it will still have a mild build to handle level 7 trails with no problem.

The club changed so I ( we ) had to make a rig change since
a " rock crawler " was no longer needed.

Plus to keep the wife wanting to go, and our trails were farther away our rig had to change for a better pavement drive. Like to Utah or Buena Vista

DaveInDenver
01-09-2014, 08:28 AM
I haven't been involved lately, so my frame of reference is old. It became clear to me I was way beyond my means after the 2008 Rubithon run. Kirsten didn't have a good time at all, I spent a lot of money prepping the truck and spent more fixing it. Just not my cup of tea. I should also admit that my tolerance for 'hard' has been slipping. I just don't really much care to chase some never achievable goal, we've been having more fun poking around back roads in an almost completely back-to-stock truck just like we did 15 years ago when we first bought Imelda with her 225/75R15 Bridgestone Duelers and bench seat. This is I think the fundamental similarity, it's about seeing new places, spending time together and not tackling problems. The runs you list are fine but we've done them a dozen times. Ho-hum. And God forbid, we shut off the engine and hike and ride the bikes a whole lot more now.

DaveInDenver
01-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Re-reading that post, I guess it's just me who missed the obvious that I'm not into building up trucks and probably never really was. So it's not fair as criticism of the Rising Sun by any stretch.

subzali
01-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Hi Ray, glad to hear you were mostly impressed with our little club. We do our best :D

We try to have the club buy some food for our volunteers when we do cleanup runs, and we have a couple other specific runs each year where the club buys food, specifically the Snow and Pizza Run and the Blow Off Work and Go Wheeling Run.

We had a ladies-specific run a few years back, seemed like a moderate success but hasn't really been followed on in recent years:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13884&highlight=ladies

My wife came on a couple runs with me a few years back but doesn't particularly like bouncing around in my FJ40 all day. But there are usually some women on every run, especially the lower-key runs.

Inukshuk
01-09-2014, 09:01 AM
12+ years in, I have seen the club as having something for everyone but not everything for all. There are former members I still wheel with and current members I have yet to get to know. Mostly I wish I could get to know everyone better because its an amazingly diverse and interesting group of loyal and caring people.

I agree it all ebbs and flows. We all get along, and within a few basic guidelines everyone gets to put in and get out of it what they want.

Critical I think to the success of this organization, is there is no "The Club". We are all the club.

Ideas come up, interest determined, sometimes things happen, sometimes not. And, its all good. :thumb:

The basic structure - all your points except #2 (brand new that night) and #7 (I'm not married so more wives will bring more single friends :D) - and the Bylaws - provide the foundation and the rest is all what we create.

Welcome aboard if it works as I think its a great group and you could not go wrong in joining, and thanks for checking it out if it turns out not to be the right fit for you. Come on a few events and bring the family if you can before you decide.

nuclearlemon
01-09-2014, 09:07 AM
while there are four or five women who are or have been involved, i almost never see wives wheeling except for dee.

see you again at the state meeting ;)

Caribou Sandstorm
01-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Welcome Ray, would love to see pics of your crawler and Taco! I think the Taco is a great platform for comfort on the highway and functional for just about every trail you want to do, a side from extreme rock crawling. They are super durable and I bet you will have years of great exploration in it.

Are you planning to add an off road camper top? Lift? I had a FJCruiser and 4th Gen 4runner. They share similar parts with your Taco. If you ever have any questions about lift kits, skid plates, bumper options, I would be happy to offer options for you to consider.

One of my dream rigs is an extended cab Taco with a camper top, 33s and moderate lift.

I keep trying to convince my 7 year old son, that a Taco should be his future rig and he replies with "no dad, I want a 40 or your Land Cruiser" So maybe a Taco is in my future someday..

Look forward to hearing your stories about your experiences over the years.

nakman
01-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Yes, thanks again for coming out, and for being an active participant!

For the record my wife loves camping, would rather be hiking or biking than wheeling will tolerate moderate wheeling, particularly if it leads to camping or hiking or biking... but yes really doesn't want to go to a meeting to talk about it. She doesn't like narrow shelf roads either, or snow runs where you wait a long time while someone's getting unstuck. she did drive on the inaugural Ladies in 80's run though! :bowdown:

One thing that hasn't been stated here is a lot of us active members also have small to mid-sized kids- don't know the percentage, but it's a lot. So mom's at home with the kids on Wednesday while dad gets his one guy night. Just looking around the room last night, I know that was true for at least 10 of us.

AxleIke
01-09-2014, 12:39 PM
I haven't been involved lately, so my frame of reference is old. It became clear to me I was way beyond my means after the 2008 Rubithon run. Kirsten didn't have a good time at all, I spent a lot of money prepping the truck and spent more fixing it. Just not my cup of tea. I should also admit that my tolerance for 'hard' has been slipping. I just don't really much care to chase some never achievable goal, we've been having more fun poking around back roads in an almost completely back-to-stock truck just like we did 15 years ago when we first bought Imelda with her 225/75R15 Bridgestone Duelers and bench seat. This is I think the fundamental similarity, it's about seeing new places, spending time together and not tackling problems. The runs you list are fine but we've done them a dozen times. Ho-hum. And God forbid, we shut off the engine and hike and ride the bikes a whole lot more now.

I mean, I totally get that. My wife hates wheeling and I think breaking down on the trail is very stressful. Honestly, I didn't go on that rubithon trip simply because I knew that while my truck might do fine, if it had any trouble at all, all of the SA rigs from other clubs would be up my ass and cussing at me for bringing an IFS rig on the Con. I want to do the Con someday, but with a small group of friends and not during any kind of event.

And, while I always enjoy working on problems and fixing other people's trucks, when my truck started breaking on the trail, I kinda quit wheeling it because it was stressful, and since I was wheeling a modified IFS truck, I hated being on the trail broken and having other clubs drive by and ridicule the "stupid ass with the IFS". This club has been super supportive and great, and there aren't any issues, but I found most other clubs, including toyota clubs, to be very discouraging and made breaking way worse than it should have been.

On the other side of the coin, one of the best trips I had was in carnage with UB solo, and we had a huge adventure getting WR fixed and out of there. But, it wasn't stressful because all we had to do was get it back to the trailer. If your rig is a DD, its a whole different ball game.

I think that your direction is very common Dave. I mean, we have entire sub structures of the club, some folks who are totally into HAM, some who are totally into Dirt Bikes, and some who want to build trailers, and expo type stuff. I agree, I don't really dig doing some of those trails because they are popular, familiar, and they end up being a parking lot many times.

I like building trucks a lot. Its fun for me. But I also like camping and biking, so I've scaled back a bit right now, so I don't burn a whole year in the garage building (School also puts a strain on the financials).

So, I think we have a lot of different folks now, from new to experienced, and as others have pointed out, it ebbs and flows.

But I think there is also a lot more here on the level you like, just back roads with some camping gear and going hiking, than when you went to rubicon.

AxleIke
01-09-2014, 12:41 PM
As for ladies runs, my wife won't even drive my truck on the street, let alone a trail, so yeah, again, out.

Honestly, I like that, as it give me some "me" time. All personal preference I guess.

J Kimmel
01-09-2014, 01:23 PM
I can put most anyone in my truck and they can run whatever trail. That includes my wife. She hates it though. So she comes along to Moab or wherever if its a long trip, and occupies herself with other things. She's unfortunately not interested in trails of any kind.

AimCOTaco
01-09-2014, 02:11 PM
One thing that hasn't been stated here is a lot of us active members also have small to mid-sized kids- don't know the percentage, but it's a lot. So mom's at home with the kids on Wednesday while dad gets his one guy night. Just looking around the room last night, I know that was true for at least 10 of us.

That's a good point, my wife and daughter were home hitting the homework last night while I was at the meeting, I expect that will be true for most of the meetings I will attend.

Both of them have really enjoyed the events they have been to and felt very much a part of the action and are eager for more. If this was not a family oriented club I probably wouldn't be making time for it. The open and welcoming atmosphere is what will keep us coming back.
My 11 yr old really enjoys both trail time and the whole outdoor experience, she is very eager to drive and I'll be getting her started very soon (in very wide open spaces).

My wife likes to drive moderate terrain and enjoys the technical stuff as a passenger, observer, spotter, or photographer. Lookout for this driver on a trail near you:
http://imageshack.us/a/img600/3442/pcky.jpg

wesintl
01-09-2014, 02:52 PM
so many women involved at meetings, runs and events it was odd to so only IGY ( spelling ) at the meeting...why no women ? are your wives afraid to show up since no other women do ?..

There was a whole row of girls behind you.. Starbuck sipping and gossiping. :lmao: They even have girlie rigs too. :D

simps80
01-09-2014, 03:01 PM
There was a whole row of girls behind you.. Starbuck sipping and gossiping. :lmao: They even have girlie rigs too. :D

hey just cause my mini-van is purple doesn't make it girlie
:D :D

oh wait..you're talking about all your 100's huh ? :ducks:for:cover:

Fishy
01-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Yes, thanks again for coming out, and for being an active participant!

For the record my wife loves camping, would rather be hiking or biking than wheeling will tolerate moderate wheeling, particularly if it leads to camping or hiking or biking... but yes really doesn't want to go to a meeting to talk about it. She doesn't like narrow shelf roads either, or snow runs where you wait a long time while someone's getting unstuck. she did drive on the inaugural Ladies in 80's run though! :bowdown:

This pretty much describes our family to a tee. My wife has a real fear of shelf roads. Ouray to Silverton on 550 is enough to make her tear up. She comes often enough on wheeling runs that we're all happy. She'll even drive the very mild stuff, but once she reaches her limit, I don't push her to try more. I want this to be enjoyable for her. My kids will go anywhere with me though.

That being said, she would have zero desire to attend a Club meeting on a Wednesday night. It really has become my night out with the guys and that's good for both of us. Plus like Nakman said, we have young kids at home and it's mid-week. Dinner, bed, school in the morning. That's the routine.

All are always welcome on our runs. Some runs tend to be more "family friendly" than others though. That's just the nature of the location, difficulty, date and time spent on the trail.

Ray 2014
01-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Welcome Ray, would love to see pics of your crawler and Taco! I think the Taco is a great platform for comfort on the highway and functional for just about every trail you want to do, a side from extreme rock crawling. They are super durable and I bet you will have years of great exploration in it.

Are you planning to add an off road camper top? Lift? I had a FJCruiser and 4th Gen 4runner. They share similar parts with your Taco. If you ever have any questions about lift kits, skid plates, bumper options, I would be happy to offer options for you to consider.

One of my dream rigs is an extended cab Taco with a camper top, 33s and moderate lift.

I keep trying to convince my 7 year old son, that a Taco should be his future rig and he replies with "no dad, I want a 40 or your Land Cruiser" So maybe a Taco is in my future someday..

Look forward to hearing your stories about your experiences over the years.

Yes, my plan is...3" lift on 33" MK2 rubber, front and rear Aluminum bumpers, winch, front locker, rock guards, skid plate the underside, gas tank..etc.. AND a Four Wheel cab over camper with a queen bed, heater, table..etc..will be small but warm and off the ground...this will be for scenic Utah canyon land trips and easy trails in Colorado.

Question.. can I put an Electric locker in the front, or does it need to be ARB. And with 33" tires, 6 speed manual will I need to change out the Ring and Pinion to a 4?? gearing

AimCOTaco
01-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Yes, my plan is...3" lift on 33" MK2 rubber, front and rear Aluminum bumpers, winch, front locker, rock guards, skid plate the underside, gas tank..etc.. AND a Four Wheel cab over camper with a queen bed, heater, table..etc..will be small but warm and off the ground...this will be for scenic Utah canyon land trips and easy trails in Colorado.

Question.. can I put an Electric locker in the front, or does it need to be ARB. And with 33" tires, 6 speed manual will I need to change out the Ring and Pinion to a 4?? gearing

Ray, that sounds like a sound build plan so far. I'll keep an eye out for you around town as that will be a head turner soon. IIRC there are not any electrics currently on the market but TJM also offers an ARB style air locker that seems to be gaining in popularity as another option. Not sure about gearing on your '09 Taco. I know there is no way my 1st gen taco 2.7L would escape it's own shadow with out gears and tires over 32" but you may get away with it with the manual.

AxleIke
01-09-2014, 04:58 PM
No electric lockers, it'll have to be air or mechanical.

With the camper, and the tires/lift, I'd either regear or supercharge. I think you'll notice the weight a lot.

My dad has a lifted 04 tacoma (3.4L) extra cab with 32's arb front bumper with 8k winch, and a custom steel rear bumper, and a 4 wheel camper. We supercharged it and it does pretty well with stock 4.1's. It would be better with something a little deeper, especially on the steeper passes.

But, you made a good choice on the camper. I can't say enough good things about the 4wc's, they are really nice. We were cozy warm in it hunting last year and it got down to -5 or so every night, so it worked very well.

Corbet
01-09-2014, 04:59 PM
No longer a member now that I'm down in Durango. But my wife aways enjoyed attending club runs but never a meeting. It was guys night for me personally. I can only recall one run I went on that did not have women drivers or wires attending. But it was only 4 trucks.

Attend a few events and I think you'll see the entire group as a whole. Most of the time its families enjoying the outdoors together.

Fishy
01-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Eaton has some nice E Locker options. I don't think that have an E Locker for anything newer than 04 Taco's, but I bet it's coming soon.
http://www.differentials.com/uncategorized/eaton-elocker

Hulk
01-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Similar to Nakman and Fishy, my wife doesn't really enjoy wheeling. Anything hard core just stresses her out, and she hates shelf roads. However, she does very much like the guys in the club as well as the wives and girlfriends she's met. She's always glad to attend the parties and picnics.

We used to do a family camping run called the "Ghost Town Run" that involved exploring old ghost towns with easy/moderate wheeling. The nice thing about that run was there were many women and kids on the run. In more recent years, I've missed some of the family camping runs because we have so many summertime kid activities like swim team.

Our kids are 10 and 12, so our monthly meeting nights are an opportunity for me to see friends and enjoy a cold beverage. I've been a member 14 years, and I don't think she has ever attended a meeting. She would be bored anyway.

Lars
01-09-2014, 07:28 PM
We used to do a family camping run called the "Ghost Town Run" that involved exploring old ghost towns with easy/moderate wheeling. The nice thing about that run was there were many women and kids on the run. In more recent years, I've missed some of the family camping runs because we have so many summertime kid activities like swim team.

I wouldn't mind seeing a ghost town run and some more family runs presented. It would not only be a good opportunity for the family to get out, but for some on trail learning as well

AxleIke
01-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Eaton has some nice E Locker options. I don't think that have an E Locker for anything newer than 04 Taco's, but I bet it's coming soon.
http://www.differentials.com/uncategorized/eaton-elocker

Stan, they don't have an elocker for any Toyotas, especially for the fronts. I'm not even sure if they offer the detroit in front, though, they may. If you want selectable, either ARB, or one of the other, newer air locker brands is going to be your options.

DaveInDenver
01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Eaton only makes Detroit Lockers and Trutracs for Toyota axles, nothing in their e-locker AFAIK. ARB Air Lockers is really the best way to go for the front on IFS trucks, it's proven and is the best way to prevent blowing CV joints.

Romer
01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Dave, the Rubicon was very technical, glad I did it, but I am more into the less technical more expedition wheeling. The club has been doing a lot more of that lately with the Maze runs, the outlaw runs. You might enjoy those. Ouray doesn't need a built truck nor does a lot of Moab.

There are those in the club who like to go Rock crawling and a lot that like to go drive a trail and some in the middle. You should join us for a run this summer. The Rubicon was hard and I can see how that might have left you wanting less.

My wife's idea of camping is the Hilton. Fortunately, Rachel and Sarah like to go with me. Now that Sarah has graduated college, she maybe at this years Cruise Moab for the first time in 4 or 5 years. We did make a Moab run last year just for fun.

Fishy
01-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Stan, they don't have an elocker for any Toyotas, especially for the fronts. I'm not even sure if they offer the detroit in front, though, they may. If you want selectable, either ARB, or one of the other, newer air locker brands is going to be your options.

Eaton only makes Detroit Lockers and Trutracs for Toyota axles, nothing in their e-locker AFAIK. ARB Air Lockers is really the best way to go for the front on IFS trucks, it's proven and is the best way to prevent blowing CV joints.

Harrop/Eaton to be more specific.
http://www.harrop.com.au/4wd.php

Pretty sure ACC had a few for the 80/100 Series.. Just a matter of time before someone in the U.S. is selling them full-time.

I put a TJM Pro Locker in the front of my 100 and have been happy with it. If the E Locker was available at the time, I would have considered it.

AxleIke
01-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Harrop/Eaton to be more specific.
http://www.harrop.com.au/4wd.php

Pretty sure ACC had a few for the 80/100 Series.. Just a matter of time before someone in the U.S. is selling them full-time.

I put a TJM Pro Locker in the front of my 100 and have been happy with it. If the E Locker was available at the time, I would have considered it.

Sweet! Now I've got to figure out if they used the same front diffs in the Hiluxs as they did the US spec trucks. That may be the ticket for my front end someday!

DaveInDenver
01-10-2014, 09:27 AM
That is cool. I had a love/hate with my Air Lockers, never could get them to stop leaking.

AxleIke
01-10-2014, 09:51 AM
See, I never had a leak issue once on my Air lockers. Hard to say.

AxleIke
01-10-2014, 10:00 AM
I just sent an email to those guys in Australia. I don't know if they will reply, but I asked them for specs on the hilux IFS front e lockers, and how they compare to the US spec stuff. I'll keep you all posted.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Ray, I think your Taco might have 3.73 gear ratio. But I could be wrong. 3.73 was/is the FJC and 4th gen 4runner gearing. I would try it with 33s first before you spend the money. I ran 35s on my FJC for a while but mostly ran 33s and I did not do the gear swap before I sold it.

If you have 4.11s than I would suspect running 33s you would be ok. At least until your power train warranty expires.

Also curious if your Taco has Atrac? If so is it full time or part time with a button. I think you will find that for moderate wheeling, even occasional aggressive wheeling, Atrac will get you through with flying colors and really surprise you.

It will sound like bending metal when it is working on a feature (obstacle). If you left foot brake, on features that voids Atrac. Steady but mild acceleration through features will engage Atrac (if full time). ATRAC is a traction control Toyota introduced in 2000 in many 4x4s to replace lockers.

The best combo, in my opinion is Atrac and a rear locker. It makes the vehicle damb near able to climb a tree. You can find used rear e-locker set ups from FJC's that might have been wrecked in a crash. I think you have all the prewiring for that already installed.

Also you might want to consider an aftermarket upper control arm when you lift your Taco. Light racing (SPC) makes the best one, imo, and they are local Colorado. Adding these will allow you to get your factory alingment specs back in place and really makes the handling feel more stock.

Fishy
01-10-2014, 11:58 AM
I just sent an email to those guys in Australia. I don't know if they will reply, but I asked them for specs on the hilux IFS front e lockers, and how they compare to the US spec stuff. I'll keep you all posted.

I know folks have emailed and always gotten a response. I'm interested to hear what they have to say as well.

nattybumppo
01-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the great input, Ray. I think you will find lots more women on the trail and the social events than at the meetings. I don't know why that is, but it makes us really appreciate Iggy! You will find that most of those involved in the club right now are happy to wheel moderately, and there are also a lot who enjoy the wrenching as much as anything else. There are only a few members currently who build their trucks way up and run the gnarly stuff. (They are, of course, our heros!) Either way, I hope you come out to play with us soon. I'm sure you can find the right fit for how you want to wheel, cause we have the whole spectrum represented.

Ray 2014
01-11-2014, 05:54 AM
Ray, I think your Taco might have 3.73 gear ratio. But I could be wrong. 3.73 was/is the FJC and 4th gen 4runner gearing. I would try it with 33s first before you spend the money. I ran 35s on my FJC for a while but mostly ran 33s and I did not do the gear swap before I sold it.

If you have 4.11s than I would suspect running 33s you would be ok. At least until your power train warranty expires.

Also curious if your Taco has Atrac? If so is it full time or part time with a button. I think you will find that for moderate wheeling, even occasional aggressive wheeling, Atrac will get you through with flying colors and really surprise you.

It will sound like bending metal when it is working on a feature (obstacle). If you left foot brake, on features that voids Atrac. Steady but mild acceleration through features will engage Atrac (if full time). ATRAC is a traction control Toyota introduced in 2000 in many 4x4s to replace lockers.
Yes, I have a rear locker
The best combo, in my opinion is Atrac and a rear locker. It makes the vehicle damb near able to climb a tree. You can find used rear e-locker set ups from FJC's that might have been wrecked in a crash. I think you have all the prewiring for that already installed.

Also you might want to consider an aftermarket upper control arm when you lift your Taco. Light racing (SPC) makes the best one, imo, and they are local Colorado. Adding these will allow you to get your factory alingment specs back in place and really makes the handling feel more stock.

Chris, you answered ( with out me asking ) one of my questions, ATRAC..Yes my Taco has it, I read the manual on it and was still confused on what this button was. I now might play with the ATRAC system in 2014 on some trails to test it out. I will have to inform my spotter ( jeep guy ) if he hears a strange noise as I go threw a difficult spot in the front end not to stop me, it's the ABS..ATRAC doing it's job....

Corbet
01-11-2014, 10:20 AM
I will have to inform my spotter ( jeep guy ) if he hears a strange noise as I go threw a difficult spot in the front end not to stop me, it's the ABS..ATRAC doing it's job....

Yes, spotting an ATRAC or any other computer controlled traction equipped vehicle is a little strange at first and requires a different technique than something with simple lockers.

Something that might make a good discussion on the CM14 pre-run as more ATRC vehicles show up every year.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Well that is really a great thing for you to have on your Taco and the button control is also not so bad. The 100 series Land cruisers have it all the time, so no button.

I had the button in my FJC but not in my 4th gen 4runner.

I think having the button, also offers a bit more highly tuned Atrac for wheeling use. Robbie Antonson, one of our members and a great resource, was on the Trail Teams for Toyota and really knows the whole story on Atrac.

Your spotter will most likely not hear the bending metal sound like you will, it almost has a boing sound to it, that you will hear. Your spotter will see your front or back wheels kind of start/stop on their own as you are moderately accelerating over a feature. They will really be amazed, as most are the first time they see it working and watch the vehicle handle the feature you are overcoming.

Just remember left foot braking will nullify it, if that is your style.