PDA

View Full Version : 09 Taco..problems with 4L

Ray 2014
01-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Ok..Took the Taco ( 2009 ) ( TRD Off Road ) out for it's first trip today on a snow run, Rock Creek and Bunce School Road.

I t will not go into 4 L unless I turn off the ignition, then it MIGHT go into 4 L
Then if it goes into 4 L , to get it out I have to turn the ignition off then back on, but not every time will it work.

I thought ok...being GREEN as a Taco owner so many bells and whistles, buttons, electrical gadgets I had air down to 20 PSI...I'm think REALLY, would the system think there is a problem and NOT allow the 4 L function..it's a stretch..but what do I know.

SO..Got home ( Longmont ) much warmer temps...tried it again..same problem..would NOT go into 4 L...then I aired up to 35 PSI.. I tried it..it went right into 4 L..but the Locker would not engage..the RED light just kept blinking..
I was ..but did not thinking let the air back out..see what happens..I did not .

HELP...

Ray 2014
01-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Well. the son come home he owns a 05 Taco...he got in it..kept playing with the buttons, took a hammer to the rear locker silinoid..twice..it all works now, I guess the owner before me hardly used the 4x4 stuff

Jacket
01-16-2014, 04:34 PM
It's not that uncommon for e-actuated things like the rear locker to "stick" when not used much or at all. It can also require a bit of turning and torquing of the rear end to get it to lock in. But based on the hammer technique that seemed effective, I'm guessing it's just sticking a bit.

And since the 4Lo is actuated from the dial (instead of manually with a lever), it may be the same problem as above. Lack of use has caused it to get a bit sticky or dirty or corroded, and the actuating mechanism isn't engaging or disengaging smoothly.

I'd play around with it a bit on dirt roads and see if you can get it to "loosen up" a bit with some usage.

Corbet
01-16-2014, 05:03 PM
What Matt said.

Also inspect the wiring at the connector. My 80's taken some abuse there and I have one wire that I'm gong to have to fix. Additionally some light wheel spin will get the locker to engage quicker.

Fishy
01-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Do you have to have the transmission in "N" to engage 4L via the dial?

Ray 2014
01-16-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm going to putting it into 4x4 ..Low..and locked several times over the next few weeks on dirt road near by to make sure all is loose and not sticky..then keep it up on a monthly bases..nothing worse than going wheeling with a group, and your STUFF don't work...and they are ALL Jeep guys..but I can take it and dish it out. ( Had 12 rigs on the trail Thursday ) 11-Jeeps..one Toyota..

----------------
They ( Jeep duds ) better be nice... I was the one saving them on the trail for 15 years.. It's all in fun...I'm closer to them then my own kin..
----------------
In need of something..call a Four Wheel Buddy...they will show up before family does..
-------------------
This spring I will drain change out all fluids.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-16-2014, 07:32 PM
I didn't realize you also had an elocker in the back. Nice! Make sure atrac is off and locker off before you go to 4 wheel low. I am thinking that it is a a, then B then C kind of relationship but I could be wrong.

I never had any issues with mine engaging, ever..

Did you try, stop rolling, put it into neutral and then go into 4 wheel low? Like Stan mentioned? I remember Toyota telling me that was not nessecary but I always did it.

It would not be the tires air pressure that is a coinky dink.

Keith
01-16-2014, 10:57 PM
I haven't heard of problems getting into 4L, but it's pretty common for the solenoid to stick when trying to go from 2H to 4H. There are endless threads in the subject over at tacomaworld.com.

Mine was sticky when I first got the truck. Now I make a point to go into 4H at least a few times a month. No problems since doing this.

Ray 2014
01-17-2014, 07:25 AM
I didn't realize you also had an elocker in the back. Nice! Make sure atrac is off and locker off before you go to 4 wheel low. I am thinking that it is a a, then B then C kind of relationship but I could be wrong.

I never had any issues with mine engaging, ever..

Did you try, stop rolling, put it into neutral and then go into 4 wheel low? Like Stan mentioned? I remember Toyota telling me that was not nessecary but I always did it.

It would not be the tires air pressure that is a coinky dink.

That brings up another question...I believe my manual states that the ATRAC is dissembled when i shift into 4 Low. ??? seems odd, that's when I would need ATRAK ?

Ray 2014
01-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Here is what my manual says.

The following will NOT operate when rear Differntial is locked.

ABS
Brake assist system
VSC ( don't know what this is )
TRAC
Down hill assist
Hill-start assist

Does not mention A-TRAC..which I was wrong.

--------------------
Read the Manual...VSC...I know what this is now... I want to be able to turn it off ..how...I was going up Hy 7 out of Lyons Thursday on clean dry pavement,,,went around a few corner a bit fast , the VSC kicked in..was a strange feeling...did not like it..how do I turn it off..

DaveInDenver
01-17-2014, 08:27 AM
VSC is Vehicle Stability Control and disables whenever you are in 4WD low or lock the center differential (if equipped). This system can apply wheel brakes, cut engine power, use the ABS system to prevent spin and attempt to stop the truck from fishtailing. My memory on the 4Runner is that it does work to some extent (I remember it doing a pretty decent job one time righting our 4Runner coming down into Georgetown from the Tunnel) but can be a PITA on icy roads crossing intersections. I usually left it on unless I was driving around in the city, more than a few times it infuriated me trying to start from a stop light or sign.

The t-case supports a mode called auto 4WD. Not sure if that's available in the Tacoma but in the 4Runner this mode is 4WD high but there's a viscous coupling to allow 4WD on pavement and can also be locked into traditional 4WD like you remember. When you lock the t-case in 4WD high this automatically turns off the VSC.

VSC is enabled automatically all the time and requires action on your part only to disable, either the manual override, locking the t-case or shifting into low range. Otherwise, if you're moving it's on. There was a button & light on the 4Runner with two squiggly lines (I think) that was the VSC switch.

TRAC is different than ATRAC. TRAC will only work in 2H and 4H and ATRAC only works in 4 low. They both do similar things, the ATRAC is a subset of the TRAC system. They use the wheel brakes to control wheel spin resulting in a similar affect as a limited slip diff.

The rear locker is more like what you're familiar with, enabled only when you select it. Toyota uses a controller on their e-locker that only lets it engage when you're in 4WD low. Other systems like ATRAC might disengage when you use it. For example a locked diff wouldn't leave much for the TRAC to do normally, although it would make it act like a LSD in the front.

Toyota I think requires on electric shift t-cases that you shift into neutral and push the brake pedal to shift into low range. So you spin the dial and the 4WD indicator will blink at you until you do that and then you hear the clunk.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Dave your a great help on all this, as always..

One interesting tid bit on the electric switch to 4 wheel high/low... I always like the tactile feel of the shift knob int eh FJC/Land Cruiser vs. the electric switch in the 4runner/Taco and I asked one of my Toyota mentors.... He said it is an upgrade to have the switch over the manual shifter. The idea Toyota had was to reduce cabin noise that would be transmitted from the shift boot area.

Pretty interesting stuff...

DaveInDenver
01-19-2014, 05:56 AM
I also prefer a manual t-case but it's not just the noise and heat & cold entry. Companies do electric shift because it frees up designers of the interior. Same with automatic transmissions. If you have stick shift drivetrains you have no choice but to design around the openings in the floor and leave space around them to work. The center console can't be as high, etc. I understand their reasoning, just that I don't care for a dozen gizmos, in-dash navigation and all that junk and /much/ prefer manual shifting my truck in any case.