PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a 60

Fishy
01-18-2014, 12:59 PM
My neighbor's son, who is 16 wants a 60 or 62 for his first vehicle. So my neighbor asked if there is anything to look for or avoid? Any advice that I can pass along to them? They're in the $5k range to spend.

On a side note, he's a great kid. I've taken him out on the trail before, he watches our house when we go away, he shoveled my driveway when I was down with my back surgery. I'd like to help them find the right Land Cruiser.

MDH33
01-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Depending on where they live, if they need to do emissions, make sure the vehicle passes. Lots of headaches if they buy something that won't pass. Look for rust in the frame, rust in the sills, pillars and around the windshield. it's common in the rear quarters but not a deal breaker since they almost all have that. Under 200k miles is good in my book but doesn't hurt to get a compression check. Look for leaking power steering pump which is expensive and almost always means it's dripping onto the smog pump, which is even more expensive. The bell cranks are usually frozen, so the parking brake might feel questionable. Common 2F oil leaks in main seals and pan. Flat suspension is also common, so finding one with the OME lift already done is a bonus.

:thumb:

cbmontgo
01-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Depending on where they live, if they need to do emissions, make sure the vehicle passes. Lots of headaches if they buy something that won't pass. Look for rust in the frame, rust in the sills, pillars and around the windshield. it's common in the rear quarters but not a deal breaker since they almost all have that. Under 200k miles is good in my book but doesn't hurt to get a compression check. Look for leaking power steering pump which is expensive and almost always means it's dripping onto the smog pump, which is even more expensive. The bell cranks are usually frozen, so the parking brake might feel questionable. Common 2F oil leaks in main seals and pan. Flat suspension is also common, so finding one with the OME lift already done is a bonus.

:thumb:

Summed up perfectly!

Also, if he ends up with a 62, make sure that the auto tranny is solid. That is the achilles heel on a 62. On the flip side, the EFI is nice in a 62. FJ60s are rock-solid reliable but are not fuel-injected. It's all about preference; I've owned both and loved 'em.

Fishy
01-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info, fellas!

Corbet
01-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Just to play devil's advocate. Why not an 80 series? With $5K that is an option as well.

Advantages I see for a younger driver are ABS and Airbags (year dependent). Lets face it statically speaking its got a good chance of getting wrecked. These are the main reasons I plan to put Bridger in a reg cab Tacoma when the day comes.

Otherwise it comes down to EFI/Auto verse carb/manual IMO on the 60/62 purchase. Pick what you want an look for a cleaner one.

Fishy
01-19-2014, 12:10 AM
Just to play devil's advocate. Why not an 80 series? With $5K that is an option as well.

Advantages I see for a younger driver are ABS and Airbags (year dependent). Lets face it statically speaking its got a good chance of getting wrecked. These are the main reasons I plan to put Bridger in a reg cab Tacoma when the day comes.

Otherwise it comes down to EFI/Auto verse carb/manual IMO on the 60/62 purchase. Pick what you want an look for a cleaner one.

I mentioned that to them. Their concern was that the 80 seemed so much bigger, heavier and bulkier..... But I don't think it's out of the question.

SteveH
01-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Martin's 60 comments were spot-on.

Maybe buy an 80 and drive it until the kid gets 'driving' all dialed in, and keep an eye out for a '60? The right 60 (if you're picky and don't want headaches) is hard to find. A cleaner 80 is easy to find.

jps8460
01-19-2014, 10:47 AM
2nd on making sure the 60 will pass emissions, It took me about 2-3 months and $600 of gathering parts to go from complete desmog to passing. These parts are becoming impossible to find.

He will likely get a better education of wrenching on things in the 60, but I agree with looking into an 80. Fuel injection is very nice!

Corbet
01-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I mentioned that to them. Their concern was that the 80 seemed so much bigger, heavier and bulkier..... But I don't think it's out of the question.

Its bigger but does not drive that much bigger. The 60 is easier to park. But the ride quality and safety is much better in the 80. Can't comment on what would be easier to pass smog with as I don't have to deal with that. Probably easier to find a 80 without rust issues.

baja1d
01-19-2014, 04:02 PM
My 80 is on the chopping block

Rzeppa
01-19-2014, 09:24 PM
60 beats an 80 hands down. Martin's comments echo what I would have said.

I was shopping for an 80 when I bought my HZJ75.

I was shopping for a 100 when I bought my FJ60.

SteveH
01-20-2014, 04:12 PM
I need some of Jeff Zepp's dyslexia - so that, say, when I'm shopping for a new Sienna minivan, I'll end up with an FJ45! My wife would not be so thrilled, however...

Rzeppa
01-20-2014, 06:32 PM
I need some of Jeff Zepp's dyslexia - so that, say, when I'm shopping for a new Sienna minivan, I'll end up with an FJ45! My wife would not be so thrilled, however...

How about an HZJ75 troopie? That would have all the carrying capability of the Sienna, but with the ability to carry the family just about anywhere...

Corbet
01-20-2014, 07:17 PM

Me too! :lmao: