PDA

View Full Version : Advice on LED light bars

Get Outside
01-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Kind of a repeat question but had to ask it here in the open forum as well!

I've been wanting to add some lights to my 06 100 but not sure on what direction to turn for this project! I'm new to the light systems!

I'm interested to hear what you guys think would work better up on the front roof (spot, flood, flood-spot combo) as well as some work lights on the back and maybe sides!
Single row, double row?

There is a huge range of sizes out there and I don't know what's way overkill and what's too small to even bother!

I appreciate your input.
Thanks

Shotshell
01-19-2014, 09:36 AM
In my experience, there is no such thing as overkill with lights. The brighter the better. This summer I'm going to be getting some LED lighting. I'm not sure exactly the ones I'm going to get yet. But probably double row LED light bars. A shorter one on the front bumper and a long one across the front of my roof rack. I'm under the impression that a flood/spot combo would be a good choice for a roof rack light bar. They have flood all the way across until the ends where there are like 4 LEDs that are set up as spot lights on either end. Seems like a logical set up to me. Hopefully TreeRoot will chime in on this. I know he's got quite a few rigged up on his 100.

Inukshuk
01-19-2014, 12:54 PM
I thought the "combo" roof bars were spot center, flood ends. I can see a certain logic in outboard spots giving a wider distance spot.

Lights can be too bright. Forward facing I have classic CIBIE Super Oscars. Running them "Aussie Style" with one flood and once pencil beam. Sylvania Superstar H1 55W bulbs. The pencil is supposed to have an effective throw of 750M. They only can come on with my high beams (thanks to the Slee harness), or I can leave them off. The reflection from road signs is occasionally uncomfortably bright. On slow trails, they can be too bright up close.

For campsite lighting its easy to have side and rear lights that are too bright. The LED's I just mounted rearward facing will definitely be too bright to leave on for area light while in camp but great for backing up and setting up.

Due to the configuration of my GOBI Stealth Rack, I anticipate putting 4 x 7" light bars with the two centers as spot and outers as flood. On a close/slow trail I'd use just the floods. On a lonesome highway I might want the floods to illuminate animal eyes, but you don't want too much light up close as that hurts distance vision. That is why fog lights are supposed to only be used with low beams and driving lights only with high.

Corbet
01-19-2014, 01:13 PM
I am yet to mount my roof top LED's but I choose a 42" bar all spot and two small 2x2 spots that I plan to mount outboard at a slight angle. During my driveway testing I preferred this configuration. I did not care for the flood pattern for driving. But I have a set mounted on the rear bumper as back up lights. I may move them up top for better vision backing up the camper.

I agree with Daniel that lights can be too bright on the HWY. My IPF's can make a high HWY sign almost blinding. Off road I'm not sure than can bee too much as long as the pattern is balanced.