PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Moab Pre Run / Trail Leader Training

JadeRunner
01-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Let’s do our Moab Pre Run\Trail Leader Training on the weekend of April 4th - 6th at Area BFE like we have in the past. I will plan to get in Thursday 4/4 before dark to setup camp and start a fire. I know it's the weekend before the EJS starts but oh well. That just how it got scheduled this year. I can't change it now.

We can run trails Friday and Sat. Then hit a trail on the way out Sunday. We will plan to run multiple trails in a day and keep moving like we have in the past.

Our trail boss Jeff Zepp probably won’t be able to attend. However, with all the trail leader work he is doing early on he plans to have most of the trail leaders, trails and most participants identified in advance of this weekend. We can let that information drive what we want to run and who needs to work on what etc. Gunner lists can also be worked on.

Personally, I want to hammer out the Flat Iron Mesa trail since it's a new trail for us this year. We will need another trail Leader for that and a few gunners.

Dave Kaiser and I have some CM business to take care of Friday morning then we can hit the trails.

Micah Platt from the Wasatch Cruisers is on the CM Committee this year and will be there with us. He has offered to help provide fun food and libations.

I personally look forward to this event every year running multiple trails all day and camping at BFE. It will be fun.

Post up if you can make it.

Inukshuk
01-28-2014, 10:00 PM
In.

I did most of Flat Iron a few years back. Fun trail.

Did we get the Fins night pre-run approved?

JadeRunner
01-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Yea, the "Fins at Night" run(s) are on! It's going to be stellar. Let's pre-run it.

Corbet
01-28-2014, 10:40 PM
In

JadeRunner
01-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Right on Corbet. Glad you can make it again.

baja1d
01-29-2014, 02:06 PM
In

jertiffauk
02-13-2014, 11:33 AM
I'd love to come, however my wife graduates from school the weekend of CM, so I can't make the main event.
With that said I'd love to come get more familiar with the trails in hopes of helping out next year leading or gunning. If you guys are good with that I'll be there?

Jeremiah

Old40Dog
02-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Insky, likely Zach will be along with me too.

Fishy
02-13-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm still working on it. I'll be a last minute confirmation.

JadeRunner
02-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Were good with that Jeremiah. You have the right idea.

I'd love to come, however my wife graduates from school the weekend of CM, so I can't make the main event.
With that said I'd love to come get more familiar with the trails in hopes of helping out next year leading or gunning. If you guys are good with that I'll be there?

Jeremiah

Caribou Sandstorm
02-16-2014, 06:37 PM
I might have to get lost in the desert around this time and find my way to BFE!

jertiffauk
02-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Were good with that Jeremiah. You have the right idea.

I look forward to seeing everyone there! :cheers:

jonharis
02-19-2014, 12:42 PM
On the calender. :cool:

Inukshuk
02-19-2014, 07:00 PM
On the calender. :cool:

:thumb:

Cheeseman
03-02-2014, 11:50 AM
I'll be there Scott and all yall. Gotta get the rust off my driving skills. The beer part I have down. Look forward to a couple of campfires. Will be out there late Thursday evening.

JadeRunner
03-04-2014, 10:48 PM
I'm glad to hear guys are coming. Lets all try to learn a few things from each other. Plus have peak fun. I should invite Rudy.

Corbet
03-05-2014, 06:40 AM
If my schedule allows I'm going to try to get down there Wednesday night for anyone thinking about an early arrival. As I will not have a dog with me Bridger and I might try to get a MTB ride in or two early. Or maybe some rock climbing.

ClaytonH
03-14-2014, 11:03 PM
I've got this on the calendar. Really looking forward to it.

JadeRunner
03-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Glad you can make it again Clayton.

I will have my friend Dan with me again. We will roll in Thursday evening in time to setup camp before dark.

I will bring some firewood but encourage others to bring some as well for the community fire.

spcruiser
03-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Looks like I got everything worked out to attend again this year. Trying to pull in as early as possible Thursday. We ran Flat Iron Mesa last year and would like to help out with that trail. Looking forward to catching up with everyone and running some trails.

JadeRunner
03-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Excellent Steve. It look like Corbet and the Durango group will be well attended as usual.

MicahMan
03-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Can this get here yet. I'm so excited

kc0sm
03-26-2014, 09:31 AM
My wife and I are going to be in Moab next weekend and I was wondering if I could tag along one of the days? I am relatively new to offroading and am sure I could learn much. Could you give me directions to your camping location, which day would be best and what time you will be heading out in the morning? We will be arriving on Thursday and leaving on Monday.

JadeRunner
03-26-2014, 04:31 PM
You are certainly welcome to join us. I agree that this is how you get better at potentially lead a trial for us someday.

Typically we use this opportunity to run several trails pretty fast in one day. And the focus is to run trails that the CM trail leaders and gunners need to work on. Those are usually the harder trails but not always.

I'm sure there will be an opportunity at some point for you to run a trail with someone that is looking to lead Fins or Hells or Porcupine etc. for the first time. We can fit you in.

Drive into Area BFE and continue straight then on the main road that goes down and to the right. Then continue straight thru the second opening into the trees and our main fire will at the next corner. You can find a site off the road near us. Corbet will be setup there before us. Most of us will be arriving Thursday night sometime.

My wife and I are going to be in Moab next weekend and I was wondering if I could tag along one of the days? I am relatively new to offroading and am sure I could learn much. Could you give me directions to your camping location, which day would be best and what time you will be heading out in the morning? We will be arriving on Thursday and leaving on Monday.

baja1d
03-26-2014, 07:27 PM
If my schedule allows I'm going to try to get down there Wednesday night for anyone thinking about an early arrival. As I will not have a dog with me Bridger and I might try to get a MTB ride in or two early. Or maybe some rock climbing.

Sweet, I'll have Everett with me as well!!!

kc0sm
03-26-2014, 09:04 PM
You are certainly welcome to join us. I agree that this is how you get better at potentially lead a trial for us someday.

Typically we use this opportunity to run several trails pretty fast in one day. And the focus is to run trails that the CM trail leaders and gunners need to work on. Those are usually the harder trails but not always.

I'm sure there will be an opportunity at some point for you to run a trail with someone that is looking to lead Fins or Hells or Porcupine etc. for the first time. We can fit you in.

Drive into Area BFE and continue straight then on the main road that goes down and to the right. Then continue straight thru the second opening into the trees and our main fire will at the next corner. You can find a site off the road near us. Corbet will be setup there before us. Most of us will be arriving Thursday night sometime.

Sounds great. I can hardly wait. We are also signed up for CruiseMoab but can't wait for another month. I just had and new set of 285 BFG TA KM2s mounted on the FJ this afternoon. Thanks and I look forward to seeing everyone and learning lots. I'll bring some beer for the campfire.

Inukshuk
03-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Are we going to be able to pre-night-run Fins?
I want to run it regardless.

Corbet
03-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Sweet, I'll have Everett with me as well!!!

That is great news. The Power's children probably will not make it from Durango. Bridger will be excited to have a buddy. Probably not as excited as dad.

Are we going to be able to pre-night-run Fins?
I want to run it regardless.

I'm in one way or the other.

I'm sure there will be an opportunity at some point for you to run a trail with someone that is looking to lead Fins or Hells or Porcupine etc. for the first time.

If we need to train on Porc I'm happy to do so, as I'm not able to lead it at the event this year as I normally do.

Art Volmer
03-30-2014, 08:49 AM
I am in this year for the pre-run see you all in a few days.

What time are people headed out to BFE from Denver on Thursday?

nakman
03-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Hey would anyone be willing to deliver a roof rack to Moab for me? it's flat, 3/4 rack, you could strap it to your roof at the meeting this Wednesday, then meet someone in Moab on Friday or Saturday. It pays :beer:.. or name your price if you want some cash. I need to know by tomorrow (Monday) night, thanks! :cheers:

baja1d
03-30-2014, 08:15 PM
I can't make the meeting but I can throw it in the camper for Moab. Maybe check with Matt (Subzalli) or Justin (Bruiser) & see if they're going to the meeting.... Or anyone else that lives near Kipling & Bowles

MicahMan
03-31-2014, 11:36 AM
Food shopping has started. Scott is picking up drinks so it will be full Strength and not utah stuff.

Planning on Chilli and biscuits for dinner Saturday with breakfast burritos Friday and mountain man breakfast Saturday

Inukshuk
03-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Hey would anyone be willing to deliver a roof rack to Moab for me? it's flat, 3/4 rack, you could strap it to your roof at the meeting this Wednesday, then meet someone in Moab on Friday or Saturday. It pays :beer:.. or name your price if you want some cash. I need to know by tomorrow (Monday) night, thanks! :cheers:

I may be at the meeting but if not and it gets to me I can put it on the roof, no problem.

Inukshuk
03-31-2014, 06:27 PM
What time are people headed out to BFE from Denver on Thursday?

Going to try for noon.

baja1d
03-31-2014, 07:24 PM
Everett will be up at 0600 most likely. I'd imagine that we'd be on the road by 0800

Crash
03-31-2014, 08:00 PM
Everett will be up at 0600 most likely. I'd imagine that we'd be on the road by 0800

Sorry if I missed it, but what truck will you be in, T?

baja1d
03-31-2014, 08:20 PM
We'll be in the 80 pulling the camper

Crash
03-31-2014, 10:25 PM
We'll be in the 80 pulling the camper

:thumb:

baja1d
04-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Don't forget the kid's bikes. Everett is pretty excited to get on his Stridor.

Corbet
04-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Don't forget the kid's bikes. Everett is pretty excited to get on his Stridor.

I have a full array of bikes lined up.

Brider's 16" Bmx
Dad's 24" BMX
Bridger's Trail a Bike
Dad's XC Soft-Tail

We are planning a ride on Thursday somewhere. Then play at BFE on the BMX. Bridger is not very strong on the BMX yet. But I'm holding strong on no more strider.

baja1d
04-01-2014, 12:43 PM
I have a full array of bikes lined up.

Brider's 16" Bmx

Dad's 24" BMX

Bridger's Trail a Bike

Dad's XC Soft-Tail

We are planning a ride on Thursday somewhere. Then play at BFE on the BMX. Bridger is not very strong on the BMX yet. But I'm holding strong on no more strider.

To bad Lilah isn't coming, her pedaling peer pressure could have helped your cause. I'll throw my BMX in too

baja1d
04-01-2014, 05:10 PM
We're ready now, first trip w/ a fridge... Thank you Steve36600

Corbet
04-01-2014, 07:49 PM
no turning back now.

Art Volmer
04-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Hi Tim,

I can grab the rack and take it out to Moab. Let me know if that helps.

Art

Corbet
04-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Woke up to snow here…. Not much, so hopefully getting the camper off the mountain and down to the road does not get exciting.:eek:

Hope to be on my way before noon. See you all at BFE. :thumb:

RidinDurty
04-02-2014, 08:57 AM
I know I am a VERY last minute commitment for the pre-run...but I intend to make it again this year for my third consecutive time. I should arrive prior to sunset Thursday and am wiling to help you out Scott setting up camp/fire etc.

Steven Kent

JadeRunner
04-02-2014, 09:09 AM
It looks like about 16 people attending. About 10 rigs.

Per Zepp’s updated Leader\Gunner list. Which I will bring this weekend. We still need the following leaders. We need gunners for these trails and others as well.

Cliff Hanger - Thursday

Flat Iron Mesa – Wed. and Sat – Dan Kucera and I want to lead it. We need to work out which days and will need waist\tail gunners to take out people at the end to avoid the intimidator\easer egg hill.

Moab Rim - Friday

Kane Creek – Sat

JadeRunner
04-02-2014, 09:20 AM
We will discuss our plan based on peoples needs Thursday night and Friday morning.

This is what I’m thinking personally.
Friday morning Dave and I and anyone who wants to come will meet at the event field next to slick rock campground. We will have a brief meeting at 9:30am with our new event mangers. Then we will run some trails. Not sure what yet.

I want to run Cliff Hanger with some potential leaders. I hear it has gotten harder and we need a leader for it. Dave isn’t running it in his rig that day. Half day run.
Dave and I have never run Porcupine. Need someone like Corbet to lead us on that. Half day run.

We definitely want to take our time running Flat Iron Mesa with the majority of the group. We will need future leaders and gunners for this one. We want to see how an experienced 80\100 driver feels about the Intimidator obstacle. Robbie had told me a long time ago he wouldn’t want to lead 80’s thru that obstacle. I remember it being tight and thrilling for my runner.

MicahMan
04-02-2014, 10:33 AM
I'll have breakfast ready at 9:00 am on Friday so you can go to the meeting happy and full.

I'm still having a hard time deciding what rig to bring. My 40 or my 61?
61 isn't locked yet that's my hang up!

This is getting exciting!

Corbet
04-02-2014, 10:53 AM
I'm walking out of the house now. Still snowing but not sticking :)

Happy to lead Porc for anyone looking to get familiar. Also happy to go up cliffhanger.

MicahMan
04-02-2014, 07:30 PM
OK decision made. Hj61 because I'm bringing some awnings

Corbet
04-02-2014, 08:36 PM
That a boy. Now get down here. Weather changed for the better this afternoon. No wind. Sky is clearing temp is dropping. Been running the heater in the camper off and on. Beer is cold and the Coyotes are yippin.

MicahMan
04-02-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm hoping to sneak out around noon. No reason to stay here any longer

baja1d
04-02-2014, 09:30 PM
I'd love to hit Cliffhanger

Old40Dog
04-03-2014, 07:09 AM
Leaving 9-10 AM. Got like 10" snow last night, so need to plow first. Hope to be at BFE in time for dinner.

Moab Weather - this weekend looks good!

Thur Apr 3
59°/35°F
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND WNW at 7 mph

Fri Apr 4
64°/43°
Mostly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND: SSE at 10 mph

Sat Apr 5
60°/37°
AM Clouds / PM Sun
CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND: W at 10 mph

Sun Apr 6
62°/39°
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND NW at 17 mph

BFE weather will be a bit cooler of course!

baja1d
04-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Leaving at 936621

Inukshuk
04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Not sure when I'll head out but will check here.

Fishy
04-03-2014, 09:09 AM
From CDOT at 9:08am:

Westbound I-70 is now closed over Floyd Hill during accident cleanup. No estimated time for reopening. Expect long delays through the area.
Info: 511, cotrip.org or CDOT mobile app

jonharis
04-03-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm out. Going the opposite direction as all of you so keep an eye out on the interstate. I'll be monitoring 146.460 and CB22. Leaving GJ for Denver at about 5pm tonight. :Princess: won out on this one.....Opening Day!

baja1d
04-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Looks like it's open, we're moving

baja1d
04-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Vail Pass!36622

MicahMan
04-03-2014, 12:42 PM
On my way see you guys soon

Inukshuk
04-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Still in Denver. At least I'm packing and not at work.

Inukshuk
04-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Loaded and going to sleep. Up at 0 dark thirty to drive.

MicahMan
04-06-2014, 06:42 PM
I didn't get many pics if anyone has good ones please email me or post them up. Micahplatt@gmail.com

Inukshuk
04-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Made it home - 11PM. Good day of exploring via Paradox Valley and seeing an exotic Land Cruiser near Nucla. Headlights failing on Monarch pass, being told about it by the firefighter directing on traffic around a horrific wreck site - all unneeded excitement, but Old40Dog guided me home (and the headlights mostly stayed on). Night!