PDA

View Full Version : Programming the Chipped Key

kurtnkegger
02-15-2014, 10:24 AM
I had a key delivered, and cut to have for the new (2006) Sequoia. I received the instructions on getting the vehicle to recognize and accept the new key, but it doesn't respond.

Insert master key
Cycle key from ON to Off 5 times
open and close drivers door 6 times
Remove master
Insert duplicate
Wait 60 seconds for key to be accepted...Security light will stop flashing to confirm...

Problem is, the security light never stops flashing. Does anyone have the secret combination to get the new key working??

Rzeppa
02-16-2014, 07:16 PM
I had a key delivered, and cut to have for the new (2006) Sequoia. I received the instructions on getting the vehicle to recognize and accept the new key, but it doesn't respond.

Insert master key
Cycle key from ON to Off 5 times
open and close drivers door 6 times
Remove master
Insert duplicate
Wait 60 seconds for key to be accepted...Security light will stop flashing to confirm...

Problem is, the security light never stops flashing. Does anyone have the secret combination to get the new key working??

You need to swing a dead chicken around your head while you chant "Toy--OH--DAH".

kurtnkegger
02-16-2014, 07:53 PM
You need to swing a dead chicken around your head while you chant "Toy--OH--DAH".

Jeeze...Never even thought of that! While the Sequoia has a lot of interior room, I don't know if I have enough to swing a chicken...Thanks Jeff! I'll try that tomorrow!

kurtnkegger
02-18-2014, 03:48 PM
The Dead chicken thing didn't work...I thought there would be someone in the club who has a tight relationship with a service guy, or someone who could get some information. I've looked up a few different procedures on line, but still no luck...

Anyone?

Phrog
02-18-2014, 06:18 PM
I haven't done exactly what you are trying to do, but I have found that these nutty programming routines for cars are quite sensitive to the timing of the various steps. The various steps have to be done within a specific time window. Do you have any guidance on how quickly the steps have to be done - for example, turn the key on and off 5 times within 30 seconds? Try varying the timing and see if that helps.

-Phrog

rover67
02-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Maybe instead of closing and opening the door just hit the switch so you can do it faster and stay within the hypothesized time window?

Squishy!
02-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Ask thefatkid.

callahanoffroad
02-19-2014, 10:54 AM

You forgot the part where you have to wear an apache head-dress!

thefatkid
02-20-2014, 01:00 PM
1st, you have to make sure the registered key you are using is a "master key". Is the key a factory Toyota key? Is it black?

2nd, this vehicle has a maximum number of 4 master and 2 sub keys allowed to be registered to the vehicle. If it is at its maximum a delete procedure must be performed.

Well, I guess 1st should be make sure the chicken is a hen, not a rooster.

kurtnkegger
02-20-2014, 01:39 PM
The key I got with the Sequoia is a black Toyota key. I assume it is an original key from the factory....

kurtnkegger
02-21-2014, 10:16 AM
GOT IT!! Thanks to BVB who sent a PM with steps, got the new key registered to the Sequoia!!

It didn't take a chicken after all...The manual calls for a Guinea instead. Jeff, you were close. Thanks all for the help.

Since BVB sent the message PM, I'm guessing the top secret steps are intended to stay that way. I'll respect that, and not duplicate them in the forum...