PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Fishing

Fishy
02-15-2014, 05:10 PM
It's been too long since this thread has seen any posts. Since I was the one who ranted to have it, I want to see this forum get its fair share of use.

So....I've only got one real trip planned so far for 2014. I'll be on the Bighorn for a week immediately following Cruise Moab. It's become my favorite time of the year to be up there. Midges are hatching, BWO's are just getting started and the summer crowds haven't taken over yet.

I also have some Colorado alpine lakes that are on the 2014 map. Most of them involve a solid day of hiking to get there, so those will be overnighters at least. Rumor has it there are some big cutts swimming in 2 of them. ;)

I'm going to try a few days on the North Platte north of Walden, CO, just across the Wyoming border too. Looks like there might even be some opportunity for "expo approved" travel en route. I NEED to get on the North Platte's Miracle Mile this year. I have never fished that section.

Who's going where this year?

rover67
02-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Not sure where i'm going but a overnighter sounds good. i have never caught anything fly fishing. Won a bass tournament once, does that count? Still suck at fly fishing.

We should do some overnighters... I know Keith and Lindsey would be down.

baja1d
02-16-2014, 07:41 AM
Not sure where i'm going but a overnighter sounds good. .

Agreed & subscribed!!!

LARGEONE
02-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Agreed & subscribed!!!

X2. Haven't done near enough fishing since my 4 year old son came along!

Fishy
02-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Sounds like a fish run is in the makings. I'll start the researching. The 1st Annual Rising Sun Fish Run!

Bruiser
02-18-2014, 07:57 PM
I always wanted to start a fish trails run.

No plans yet this year but I have always wanted to hit some of high mountain lakes in northern Colorado or some of the lakes in Buena Vista. Was hoping to get into the Winds again but I might have to wait until next year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Stubby
02-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Dude! I'll be all over this idea! I would do a fish trail once a month! This may be the perfect wheeling event for me. Well, maybe an Elk hunting trail would be up there too.

Beater
03-01-2014, 05:30 AM
st vrain, small stream bush fishing would be the obvious first easy one, followed by boulder creek/rollinsville after a jenny creek maintenance run.

baja1d
03-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Did St. Vrain open back up again after the flood?

Fishy
03-01-2014, 08:07 AM
st vrain, small stream bush fishing would be the obvious first easy one, followed by boulder creek/rollinsville after a jenny creek maintenance run.

I'm thinking more long distance for this year. I'm sure you know, we're pretty limited for mixing wheeling and fishing on the Front Range. I'm planning a trip north of Walden along the North Platte and a few lakes that will require some boots on the ground.

I did fish two lakes last year that would qualify for a wheeling/fishing runs.
Names/Locations are being withheld for obvious reasons! :hill:

Beater
03-01-2014, 09:12 AM
look up "big creek" wyoming - south side of the medicine bows. some nice stream fishing up there, no so much on the wheeling, lots of double track.

there are 5 rivers/streams to fish in the taylor park area - tons of light wheeling. Tin Cup, Tomichi, etc.

Gold River outside crusty butt, where the crystal mill is. part of triple bypass some years.

BJTLC100
03-05-2014, 10:13 AM
I like this Stan! Great idea. Subscribed!

Stubby
03-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Have any of you guys done the South Derby Road (FDR613) in the White River NF, SE side if the Flat Tops? Haven't been up the road since about 1995 on an elk hunt at which time I tore a fist sized hole in the transfer case of my 1990 F250. Road can be brutal - maybe 12 miles to the top - and heavily traveled if we do it on a weekend ... but South Derby Creek has good fishing and the lakes - Emerald, Crescent and Mackinaw can be FABULOUS!

Cool camping and quiet during the week! :hill:

Firetacoma
03-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Has anyone ever brought gear to fish the Platte from the bottom of Hackett or Lonwater gluches? My father-in-law has a cabin right near there and it's on my list for this summer. We usually just drag the boat over to 11 mile but taking the atvs down for some river fishing might be fun too!

baja1d
03-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Fished the snot out of 11 mile canyon... One of my favorites in Colorado!

Firetacoma
03-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Strangely, I've never fished the canyon, only the reservoir. I will have to add that to my list though. It's only 20 minutes from the cabin!

baja1d
03-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Man, I'd love a cabin... Or access to one in that area

Firetacoma
03-08-2014, 05:58 PM
It is great! Unfortunately we don't get up there as much as I'd like to with work and kid schedules, but when we are there the amount of fun to be had is almost limitless!

Fishing boat, atvs, hiking, napping!

Fishy
03-08-2014, 07:34 PM
It is great! Unfortunately we don't get up there as much as I'd like to with work and kid schedules, but when we are there the amount of fun to be had is almost limitless!

Fishing boat, atvs, hiking, napping!

I have fished down there a few times. The Hayman Fire did so much damage that its been very slow to recover. Too much sediment covered the stream bed and destroyed the aquatic insect life. No fish food, means no fish. At some point it will be a good fishery again. I've only hooked two fish down there. Both small bows.

Fishy
03-10-2014, 11:05 AM
I found an area that may fit the bill of 4WD required, overnight required and fishing available. I'm going to try and fit it in prior to CM and before winter runoff starts. It's a little out of the way and will take 4-5 hours to reach from Denver. There looks to be about 30 miles of off highway travel. Primative camping is permitted. From the little info I could gather, there is a 4-5 miles stretch that 4wd is a must. What that means, I'm not sure? I'm looking at doing a pre-run within the next few weeks. It may have to be on a Thursday-Friday or possibly a Friday-Saturday.

If it is as good as I hope it is, I'll start setting up an official run for later in the summer. I'd like to take a small group on this pre-run if anyone is interested in joining me. Right now, it's just me and Big Country. Since I don't know what we'll run it to, I would ask that you be prepared for anything and set up accordingly. It could be snowy, muddy and nasty.... Or it could be just an afternoon drive. Won't know til we get there.

baja1d
03-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Depending on the days... I'd like to go

Fishy
03-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Been gathering information all morning. Snowpack is so deep that it may delay this trip for a few extra weeks. This may be a post CM pre-run. More to follow.

Bruiser
03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Same, depends on the day but I would go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Stubby
03-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Same for me ... depending upon the days. As long as I have some advance notice and no business travel conflicts, I'd like to go too. During the week would be fine with me, again as long as I have no business travel conflict.

RockRunner
03-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Subscribed! I can't do the hiking trips, double knee replacement but can do the driving ones. Will look for updates.

Cleaver
04-27-2014, 02:33 PM
New Guy in Ouray. Might be a place or two that has fish out here!

Fishy
06-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Just to keep this updated. I received some great beta today from a FS Ranger. She was one of the nicest ranger's I've ever spoken to and she's been around for a loooong time. In any case, we talked about some roads in some areas that I have always wanted to check out. One leads to a river, one leads to a few lakes. She described the roads as "real buggers" and said she thought it was just what I was looking for.

That's all I needed to hear. Snowpack and runoff will keep us away for a few more weeks at least. I will plan a recon trip to see about the road/trails and possible camp locations (she gave me some info on that too) and then we'll plan a RS Fish/Camp/Hike Run. This is a little bit of a drive, so it's at least a 2 day trip. And, I cannot confirm or deny that this is even in Colorado. (It's not)

If I happen to find that this is the coolest place I've ever been, this trip is cancelled. ;) You'll have to find your own spots.

baja1d
06-12-2014, 05:53 AM
If I happen to find that this is the coolest place I've ever been, this trip is cancelled. ;) You'll have to find your own spots.

Totally understood

Fishy
06-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Totally understood

I'm expecting you to be on the recon run, so you'll be sworn to secrecy.

baja1d
06-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Awesome & no problem. I've witnessed first hand letting the cat out of the bag. Some of my favorite surfing spots in Baja are now unsurfable due to the crowds