PDA

View Full Version : Finally making progress on my 60!

propros
02-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Awhile ago I brought my 84 fj60 to toy doctors for a tune up. A few hours later I received a phone call saying that my motor was bad and needed to be replaced. They even went as far to show me a boreascope of my cylinders showing a hole in #6 and a broken valve in #2. I was broken at this point when they quoted me $9000 to install a new motor. At first I believed them but my truck didn't even smoke. Sure it missed and had no power. I looked at it my self and did a compression check and sure enough #2 and #6 had no compression. But all I needed was a valve adjustment. Did the adjustments myself and now it runs like a champ! Can't belive they told me my motor was bad! And to even show me a picture of a "hole" in a cylinder which is false. Anyways I finally got it running good! Got the windows tinted and just put on a set of 35s mtr! I'm loving this truck more and more everyday!

Shotshell
02-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Dang, that seems like a blatant scam. But where did the images of the "hole" come from? Were they doing the scope while you were watching? Or did they show you pictures of it afterwards, and just say that it was from your engine?

BTW, your 60 looks sweet. :thumb:

propros
02-17-2014, 06:57 PM
I wasn't there. They showed me the pictures when I came back. And yea they were just trying to sell me a motor. The only reason I brought it to the was for a valve adjustment because I didn't have time. Good this I didn't fall for it.

AxleIke
02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Wow! Thats the worst story I've heard yet.

Two of my Co workers were almost scammed as well, one for 3 grand and another for 700, but nothing like a whole new motor that is totally over priced. Good grief. I had a Remanned short block put in to my old 4runner (had a shop do it so they would honor the warranty), and that was only 4k. 9k is totally bogus.

Glad you didn't have them do it, and the 60 looks great!

propros
02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks! I've put a lot of love into it. And a reman for a 2f runs around 4-5 so 9 is insane! I'm actually going there this week to dispute the $300 diagnosis charge and get a refund.

Squishy!
02-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Wow. Let us know how that goes. I hope they do refund you. That's the $&!@ that gives good techs a bad name. Props to thefatkid powderpig and anyone else I might be forgetting. Next time go to Robbie or ATLR.

propros
02-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Ya i already found robbie
he is the one that told me to adjust valves and check timing. I. Return i gave him a choke knob from my parts truck for free. Even delivered it myself from denver. Robbie is awesome and i will be using him for many future upgrades

rover67
02-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Sweet 60, i wish mine looked that clean. Enjoy the valve adjustment!

propros
02-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Valve adjustment made a world of difference! Even with 35s and stock gears I can't believe how it drives! It's easy too. If anyone needs a hand I'm wiling to help.

Rezarf
02-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Sweet 60, i wish mine looked that clean. Enjoy the valve adjustment!

Marco, you're right... your rig is trash. I will come down tonight and pay you a fair price so you no longer have to look that that pile. :thumb:

This is a blatant attempt to get you to sell me your 60... how'd I do?:hill:

Rezarf
02-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Is the place Toy Doctor? I'll be steering clear of that place. Sheesh!

propros
02-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Yes it was toy doctor. I went in there yesterday to get the owners number. The guy asked me if i had replaced the motor. I told him that he lied to me and all it needed was a valve adjustment and now it runs great. Then i asked him about the hole in my cylinder and he had no answer. Also would not give me the owners number... so i will find it on the Internet. I plan on getting a refund. I'm still passed about this.

SteveH
02-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Years ago, my '89 4Runner had been 'meticulously maintained' by the Toy Doctor, including documented valve adjustments, according to the PO. I checked the valves right after purchase, and one was being held open, with low compression on that cylinder. I adjusted the valve (hugely) and the compression came back (whew!). But, I had a new thought on the 'professional mechanics' at that shop.