PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of giving this a go

Racerchef
03-15-2014, 10:15 PM
This would be 1st trip like this. Do I get to pick trails I want to go on?
I'm a novice at 4 wheeling any recommendations for trails? Not looking for crazy stuff maybe some scenic ones and one to see a bit what vehicle can do.

Fishy
03-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Absolutely you should. What would you be driving?

Here is the best place to start:
http://www.cruisemoab.com

Trail descriptions and a link to register are available from there.

Racerchef
03-16-2014, 07:54 AM
I have a 2013 fj cruiser with OME lift well I will have lift tomorrow :) and nitto terra grapplers

MicahMan
03-16-2014, 10:28 AM
You'd be good for a number of trails. The best part is there are a ton of people with skill and knowledge to help you through.

Inukshuk
03-16-2014, 11:15 AM
I have a 2013 fj cruiser with OME lift well I will have lift tomorrow :) and nitto terra grapplers

Welcome. I ran the TG's for a while and they'll do everything you want them to do at Moab. Proper airing down is the key. Don't be afraid to do it. You can always add air (even if you don't have on-board air, others will in the group) and I have only ever seen two beads break in 15 years of wheeling. On my heavier 80 Series I'd take the TGs down to 15-18 psi. The FJ is a lot lighter so those numbers are safe. You will quickly see that small differences between 15 -25 PSI make a big difference.

If you find tires spinning on a hill climb that others are making, consider going down on air.

Also, driving around town after runs, no need to re-inflate. On highway, also safe if you keep it under 50 MPH.

See you in Moab:thumb:

Racerchef
03-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Damn you guys aren't making it easy for me not to go. Gonna be expensive with registration, to a dues, hotel and all. But looks like a hoot. I was going to go to moab at a different time alone but that really limits where I can go and what I can learn.

LARGEONE
03-16-2014, 12:44 PM
It will cost a bit, but you will learn sooooo much in just one trip. If you can find a place to sleep, then I would say go for it!!!

nattybumppo
03-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Many, if not most of us, camp at the Slickrock Campground, which will save $$$ over a hotel. There are several easier trails, like Chicken Corners (mostly a scenic dirt road), Dome Plateau (very easy with one short optional obstacle section), and Arches. If you stay at difficulty 4 or less, we should be able to coach you through anything there, and your confidence and skill will grow immensely.

Rzeppa
03-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Many, if not most of us, camp at the Slickrock Campground, which will save $$$ over a hotel. There are several easier trails, like Chicken Corners (mostly a scenic dirt road), Dome Plateau (very easy with one short optional obstacle section), and Arches. If you stay at difficulty 4 or less, we should be able to coach you through anything there, and your confidence and skill will grow immensely.

We didn't have enough people interested to run Chicken Corner this year. I'm doing trail assignments today (guess it's tonight already :P).

But Porcupine Rim, Fins n Things, Elephant Hill, and Wipeout Hill are all great for n00bs from my perspective. I haven't run Dome Plateau myself yet but I have heard it is another good one for first-timers.

The thing I love about Cruise Moab is getting to hang out with 350 of my closest Cruiser friends from all over the country (world) that I only get to see once a year. This will be my 15th year.

Old40Dog
03-17-2014, 03:04 PM
This would be 1st trip like this. Do I get to pick trails I want to go on?
I'm a novice at 4 wheeling any recommendations for trails? Not looking for crazy stuff maybe some scenic ones and one to see a bit what vehicle can do.

Come out to the Rising Sun meeting on April 2 from 7:30-9 PM at the Jeffco Fairgrounds for a fun meeting on recovery techniques. It will be a good opportunity to check us out to see if you want to hang around with those wild & crazy RS Toy 4x4 guys.:D

BTW, I'm leading Elephant Hill on Thursday at Cruise Moab which is an awesome run that includes 2 short hikes with fantastic views of the desert and the confluence of the Green & CO rivers. You'd have no issues with your rig on that trail for sure and we would love to have you along.

Corbet
03-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Definitely register for the event. There really is not a better place and group to get your feet wet with on the trail. After you get used to the traction Moab offers your truck would be fine on Hells Revenge or pretty much anything easier than that.

If yours is not equipped with the rock sliders that would probably be another good upgrade to do right away.

Racerchef
03-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Come out to the Rising Sun meeting on April 2 from 7:30-9 PM at the Jeffco Fairgrounds for a fun meeting on recovery techniques. It will be a good opportunity to check us out to see if you want to hang around with those wild & crazy RS Toy 4x4 guys.:D

BTW, I'm leading Elephant Hill on Thursday at Cruise Moab which is an awesome run that includes 2 short hikes with fantastic views of the desert and the confluence of the Green & CO rivers. You'd have no issues with your rig on that trail for sure and we would love to have you along.

I will give it a go I live and work close so I should be able to swing by.

Racerchef
03-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Definitely register for the event. There really is not a better place and group to get your feet wet with on the trail. After you get used to the traction Moab offers your truck would be fine on Hells Revenge or pretty much anything easier than that.

If yours is not equipped with the rock sliders that would probably be another good upgrade to do right away.

I'm so close to doing it. $150 to register right $40 fro join rising sun right is this an active club?
Plus hotel. Man I really want to go.
I have ARB sliders on fj now.

Racerchef
03-23-2014, 04:45 PM
No online registration for rising sun?

Rzeppa
03-23-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm so close to doing it. $150 to register right $40 fro join rising sun right is this an active club?
Plus hotel. Man I really want to go.
I have ARB sliders on fj now.

Registration is $175 plus BLM fees (pass-through, depends on how many are with you in your rig with you, $5/day/person including you). Extra dinners, shirts, hats, etc. are tacked on, or you can buy them at the event if there are any left.

You don't have to be a Rising Sun member, but you MUST be a TLCA member (http://tlca.org/join/join-renew.shtml). If you aren't already a TLCA member and don't have your TLCA number yet, we work with TLCA to verify your membership.

Rzeppa
03-23-2014, 05:50 PM
No online registration for rising sun?

Registration for Cruise Moab is here (http://cruisemoab.com/). To join Rising Sun, you must:

(1) Attend a meeting
(2) Attend an event, (trail run, social event, wrench session, something so you get to know us and we get to know you)
(3) Pay your dues to Rising Sun, $50/year
(4) Fill out an app so we have your contact info and can put you on the lists for vendors who give discounts to Rising Sun members
(5) Be a member of TLCA
(6) Get voted in at a meeting (a formality)

Cruise Moab definitely counts as a Rising Sun event towards your Rising Sun membership eligibility.

Cocarlisle
04-11-2014, 11:37 AM
First post here
I just signed up and I'm very excited
I have been to Moab many times first time was in 86 but always on two wheels
My son and I are heading out on Wednesday
Can't wait to meet people and do some wheeling and learn from everyone

Jason

MDH33
04-11-2014, 05:05 PM
First post here
I just signed up and I'm very excited
I have been to Moab many times first time was in 86 but always on two wheels
My son and I are heading out on Wednesday
Can't wait to meet people and do some wheeling and learn from everyone

Jason

Welcome. :)

What do you drive?

nattybumppo
04-11-2014, 05:07 PM
And how old is your son? Kids have a great time at CM!

baja1d
04-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Welcome, Try and make this if you can especially if you're new to the sport:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=21152

Cocarlisle
04-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys
I have a 97 3x locked fzj 80 pretty much stock except for a 2.5" lift and 295's
I also have a 64 fj 40 all stock

I have owned 4 other land cruisers over the years
Another 97 lx450
96 fzj80
2000 100 series and a 73 fj40
I can't tell you how much I love these rigs and how excited Iam to spend more time behind the wheels

My real passion has always been dirt bikes but with the family I really want to spend more time with them

My son is 7 and he is very excited although he wants to take the 40 and not the 80

Rzeppa
04-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Welcome. :)

What do you drive?

Registration database says it's a 1997 FZJ80.

Welcome Jason, I'll get your trail assignments out to you soon.

Jason, what's up with "No Trail Run" for Saturday? Bugging out early?

Rzeppa
04-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys

Another 97 lx450
96 fzj80
I can't tell you how much I love these rigs and how excited Iam to spend more time behind the wheels

My real passion has always been dirt bikes but with the family I really want to spend more time with them

My son is 7 and he is very excited although he wants to take the 40 and not the 80

Heh, your reply was sent while I was composing mine to Martin. I agree with your son, nothing like driving the 300+ miles each way to and from Moab in a stock 40, I did it for years and years. Now that I have the 60 I'm spoiled on the highway but the 40 is so much easier to beat up on the rocks.

We gotta a lotta dirt bikers in Rising Sun. For whatever reason, most of them seem to be into KTMs. I have a Yamaha YZ250.

Fishy
04-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys

Another 97 lx450
96 fzj80

Sounds like you'll fit right in around here! Welcome.

Cocarlisle
04-12-2014, 06:43 AM
Registration database says it's a 1997 FZJ80.

Welcome Jason, I'll get your trail assignments out to you soon.

Jason, what's up with "No Trail Run" for Saturday? Bugging out early?

Yes it's a 97 FZJ 80 I had a LX a while back

I'm kind of a KTM guy - 2010 Husaberg FE 450

I do have to leave Friday night - my son and daughter have a school function Saturday morning but a couple days is better than no days

nattybumppo
04-12-2014, 11:35 AM

My son was 9 the first time I went to CM. He too loves the 40. It was a fun, old-school drive out to Moab in the 40 that year. Whichever truck you bring, you will have a great time. If I were driving back Friday night after wheeling, I would definitely be taking an 80. See you there!