PDA

View Full Version : American 3D Printing Cruiser Parts

Rzeppa
03-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Here's an emblem I made for C-Dan's BJ74. I think he's going to have me make some quantity of them for him to sell on Mud. He is planning on painting the red on himself. Personally, I'd be inclined to make the letters separate, print them in red and glue them on.

http://american3dprinting.net/gallery/albums/Stuff-We-ve-Made/IMGP5337.jpg

http://american3dprinting.net/gallery/albums/Stuff-We-ve-Made/Turbo%20Emblem.JPG

AxleIke
03-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Oh, way cool!

MDH33
03-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Awesome Jeff!

Do you recall the picture of the 60 with the home made "prius-toric" emblem? How much to make a batch of those?

wesintl
03-17-2014, 02:27 PM
I ended up just buying the chrome one from toyota. How much does it cost to produce one?

Rzeppa
03-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Awesome Jeff!

Do you recall the picture of the 60 with the home made "prius-toric" emblem? How much to make a batch of those?

No I don't, but I charge $40/hr design time (start-up cheap - try getting a shop to work on your rig for that).

Dan's emblems will cost anywhere from $10-$15 each, depending on his choice of materials and build details. Builds go for $20/hr (1/2 off that for Rising Sun members).

Rzeppa
03-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Even though he was planning on painting the lettering red, I went ahead and split the letters out from the base of the 3D model and printed them separately with red PLA just to see what it would look like. Once I had assembled it I could see that the radii on the lower left corner of the "T", the right two corners of the"B" and all 4 corners of the "O" were too sharp, so I increased their radii from 2mm to 4mm. It looks a lot more true to the original now.

http://american3dprinting.net/gallery/albums/Stuff-We-ve-Made/IMGP5339.JPG

PabloCruise
03-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Those look very nice!

rover67
03-19-2014, 10:54 AM
looking good!

can you print in material that can be burned out in a burnout oven?

I have done it with the photocurable polymers (for Objet and stuff) but was wondering if you had stuff that was specifically for burning out in an oven (low ash).

cruiserdan
03-19-2014, 05:18 PM
This is very cool. Thanks Jeff!

cruiserdan
03-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Here's the truck the prototypes are going on:

MDH33
03-19-2014, 05:29 PM

That's a beauty!:thumb:

Rzeppa
03-19-2014, 07:28 PM

Sweet! I want one!

Inside joke for RS members who follow my posts and Steve H's reply - I went shopping for a Sienna and came home with a BJ74 :p:

Rzeppa
03-19-2014, 07:47 PM
looking good!

can you print in material that can be burned out in a burnout oven?

I have done it with the photocurable polymers (for Objet and stuff) but was wondering if you had stuff that was specifically for burning out in an oven (low ash).

The quick answer is no, not a material that is intended for that, that I know of. Any plastic can be burned out with sufficient heat, I have no idea what's left behind, I suppose it would depend on the temperature and ventilation of the cavity.

3D printers are available (I don't have any at the store, but a local jeweler does) that print in wax for lost wax castings. They also make 3D printers that print in sand for sand castings. According to 3D printing news sources, these sand printers are widely used by the auto industry and machinery manufacturers.

Objet (a subsidiary of Stratasys, who also owns Makerbot, my go-to printer) makes some really nice machines. I had my eye on a Connex 260 which uses their patented "polyjet" process, much like an inkjet it expels tiny droplets of vaporized polymer in up to 17 different heads with a wide variety of colors and materials. I asked my reseller for a quote and it came back at $170k. If I could justify the ROI I'd have one, but for now I am still navigating uncharted waters with this retail 3D store concept. So far I am really, really busy and am looking forward to hiring my first employee within the next few weeks.

I currently have 9 different materials to choose from in nearly 40 colors, including engineering grade nylon, PET and HIPS, in addition to the common PLA and ABS that everyone is using.

Inukshuk
03-19-2014, 10:43 PM

:thumb:

nakman
03-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Those emblems look great! :bowdown: I love this stuff. :)

Rzeppa
07-14-2014, 06:03 PM
FJ55 Glovebox door handles. Former Rising Sun member and current Horsetooth member TJ Scholand has sold about 15 of these on Mud.

Rzeppa
07-14-2014, 06:11 PM
We now have Ninjaflex! This is a rubber-like thermoplastic urethane. It is about as rubbery as real rubber or Buna-N. It should be chemically compatible with anything that Urethane is. The durometer seems to feel like around 70 or so, very similar to o-ring rubber.

This customer brought in his shower diverter cartridge, with disintegrated rubber seal. We designed and built him a replacement seal - for $15.08.

MTSN
07-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Super cool stuff Jeff!

nuclearlemon
07-15-2014, 06:43 AM
will that work to make the diaphrams for transfer cases? i think terry gave you my old one

Rzeppa
07-15-2014, 06:27 PM
will that work to make the diaphrams for transfer cases? i think terry gave you my old one

Yes, I have one Terry gave me to model. I am sure the material will work - the build geometry for that particular part might be tricky. If it were flat instead of bowl (dish?) shaped it would be a snap.

PabloCruise
08-13-2014, 01:05 PM
FJ55 Glovebox door handles. Former Rising Sun member and current Horsetooth member TJ Scholand has sold about 15 of these on Mud.

Uh-oh, I better get down there to a meeting and pay my dues! I'd like that to read "current Rising Sun member". How did it get to be August already?!?

Jeff did indeed make up two batches of these for me and the Iron Pig community has been enthusiastic about them!

Thanks Jeff...

Rzeppa
08-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Uh-oh, I better get down there to a meeting and pay my dues! I'd like that to read "current Rising Sun member". How did it get to be August already?!?

Jeff did indeed make up two batches of these for me and the Iron Pig community has been enthusiastic about them!

Thanks Jeff...

Of course you can always come to the Rally on the 23rd, or if you don't want to make the drive we take Paypal or you could mail a check. Renewing members don't have to go through the voting stuff or the secret handshake...;)

PabloCruise
08-14-2014, 05:28 PM
The Rally sounds good! Barring any major disruptions I'll be there w/ a dues check.

I'll bring my original fixed window rubber for you to take a look at as well. If you can replicate the OEM, it will save some headaches. It is nice that there is currently an option, but it is not perfect. :-(

rover67
08-14-2014, 07:06 PM
If ya want me to try and model something let me know.

simps80
08-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Jeff,
When working on the seats we found a plug in one if the headrest holes.

Doing some research I found that in 76 headrests were an option and if you didn't get them the slots were plugged...
So...
I wonder if this is something that could be made?

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/did-the-76-fj40-have-head-rests.481172/page-2

It's kind of rubbery...I dont know..I just think it would be cool.
Maybe I can bring it in and see what you think.

Rzeppa
08-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Jeff,
When working on the seats we found a plug in one if the headrest holes.

Doing some research I found that in 76 headrests were an option and if you didn't get them the slots were plugged...
So...
I wonder if this is something that could be made?

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/did-the-76-fj40-have-head-rests.481172/page-2

It's kind of rubbery...I dont know..I just think it would be cool.
Maybe I can bring it in and see what you think.

Of course we can make that :cheers:

Romer
08-16-2014, 05:09 PM
How about 40 dash control knobs with different names on them like "AC Pull" in place of Fresh Pull and one that's says "Heat Pull"

Might have a few others as I have a blank spot and two switches ( Fan and Choke) that are no longer used. Maybe AUX Lights, AIR, R- Diff and F-Diff

That should cover all the things I can think of. Guess I should go see if the switches Knobs screw on the same as the pull knobs

AxleIke
08-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Can't believe I missed this before. How about other OEM style switch covers? Something where we could go pull a switch from the yard, pull the cover, and have a FR diff lock or Compressor switch using a stock unit?

Rzeppa
08-16-2014, 10:46 PM
How about 40 dash control knobs with different names on them like "AC Pull" in place of Fresh Pull and one that's says "Heat Pull"

Might have a few others as I have a blank spot and two switches ( Fan and Choke) that are no longer used. Maybe AUX Lights, AIR, R- Diff and F-Diff

That should cover all the things I can think of. Guess I should go see if the switches Knobs screw on the same as the pull knobs

That's pretty easy. All we need are the dimensions and requested labels.

Rzeppa
08-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Can't believe I missed this before. How about other OEM style switch covers? Something where we could go pull a switch from the yard, pull the cover, and have a FR diff lock or Compressor switch using a stock unit?

Hi Isaac,

Send me an existing object like TJ did with his broken glovebox door handle, and we can measure it and make a 3D model of it, then customize it in whatever way you wish. Then we can fabricate it in 3D printing.

Alternatively, send me your 3D model and we'll build it in whatever material or color you want.

Definition: A 3D model is a computer file that defines a 3D object - *.STL is the universal language of 3D printing, but if you design it in Solidworks or any number of other 3D CAD programs we can easily work with that also.

AxleIke
08-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Awesome Jeff!! I'll have to go grab a switch from a junk yard, but I have the perfect couple of switch places that would be AWESOME to have custom!

PabloCruise
08-18-2014, 12:49 PM
If ya want me to try and model something let me know.

Thanks Marco, let me show Jeff the rubber at the Rally and see if he thinks this is something he can/wants to produce.

If yes, then it would only be a question of if he wants a model created, or model it himself...