PDA

View Full Version : Need Installation help?

BJTLC100
03-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Recently I realized my desires and my strengths/talents were not alligned. I had purchased both a HAM and CB radio and "thought" I could/would install them myself. Before I got too far down that path, I raised a white flag and solicited help. I didn't want to burn new friendships by what I knew could take hours of work...and instead hired a professional to install both for $100. A great value for me, where time is money. If you are in the same boat or need help with any electronics installation, I am simply referring John, 720-495-5071, to help you out. I found him on Craigslist. Once we set a time and date, he was fairly punctional...but his work was worth every cent to me. Clean and speedy.

The only thing left to due, is to tune the CB antaena...any suggestions on this last detail?

Inukshuk
03-18-2014, 01:05 AM
Easy to tune with SWR meter which I have and happy to led/do with you.

BJTLC100
03-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Awesome Daniel. Maybe we can do it prior to the recovery night/the next RS meeting in April? How long does it take...5-10 minutes I pressume? Let me know if that works for you. I appreciate your help!

Inukshuk
03-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Awesome Daniel. Maybe we can do it prior to the recovery night/the next RS meeting in April? How long does it take...5-10 minutes I pressume? Let me know if that works for you. I appreciate your help!

depends how easy it is to get to the coax.

BJTLC100
03-18-2014, 10:07 PM
It's easy...it's very accessible in the passenger side footwell.

AimCOTaco
03-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Brad,
I was going to send along some pics of my HAM install to get you started but you beat me!
I just finished up this weekend, glad to hear you got it done so easily ;-).

I would like to jump on the CB SWR bandwagon if possible next week at the meeting. I also have an easily accessible coax and easy to tune antenna.

So Daniel, if you're down there are at least 2 of us in line for the CB SWR meter at the next meeting.

DaveInDenver
03-24-2014, 01:12 PM
I have tools and am always happy to help tune antennas. I usually schedule a Ham & Eggs Run in late April a couple of weeks before Cruise Moab to dial in radios before the event. I can do just about any radio related work here at the house and most basic stuff mobile, including soldering on PL259 connectors to RG8, RG8X or RG58. I have a couple of antenna analyzers, I can cover 160m HF up to microwave in some way or another. I might make it to the meeting next week, have to see how the week goes.

Inukshuk
03-24-2014, 04:26 PM
So Daniel, if you're down there are at least 2 of us in line for the CB SWR meter at the next meeting.

I'll dig it out. It will be good to do this with Dave and others who are true gurus.

Maybe someone will bring a HAM SWR meter. I have never checked that.

BJTLC100
03-24-2014, 08:58 PM
I got a SWR meter with my CB kit, so I will plan to bring that. I didn't realize the HAM needs to be dialed in too...dang...my access to the base unit may be a bit tougher to get to all of the connections, now that I have my drawers reinstalled.

AimCOTaco
03-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Not all HAM antennas require tuning. Several of the dual banders come pre-tuned.
My Larsen is a pre-tuned unit for example and I think your Diamond may be as well. You can probably tell by looking up that part number on the web.

Thanks to all for offering tuning help!

Inukshuk
04-01-2014, 07:50 PM
I am very unlikely to make the meeting.